Menu

What can my dh bring back from England for my children?

When my hubby travels, I often ask him to bring back books from a museum. Perhaps he could bring you guides to The Tower of London, or the British Museum. Anyway, the museums are great places to shop (a little pricey, maybe, and you can get some of the things online here in the states, but the quality of the merchandise is good). Also, books on traditional English "characters," like Paddington Bear, would be fun. Or English tea and a nice cup, or shetland wool sweaters, or a nice wool shawl for you?

Whenever my hubby visits his family or travels to the UK for work, he always brings me home Irn Bru from the UK. It is an orange soft drink that is not sold in the US (and also is sold in an alcoholic version...obviously have him buy the non-alcoholic version sold in almost every store) The closest description I can get is that it tastes a bit like bubblegum and yet not.

I love a lot of the chocolate you can get in the UK. Curly Wurly and Ripple are my two favorite candy bars.

Ok, so my suggestions are all sweet based but hubby is from the UK and those are the things I miss! :D

Whenever my hubby visits his family or travels to the UK for work, he always brings me home Irn Bru from the UK. It is an orange soft drink that is not sold in the US (and also is sold in an alcoholic version...obviously have him buy the non-alcoholic version sold in almost every store) The closest description I can get is that it tastes a bit like bubblegum and yet not.

I love a lot of the chocolate you can get in the UK. Curly Wurly and Ripple are my two favorite candy bars.

Ok, so my suggestions are all sweet based but hubby is from the UK and those are the things I miss! :D

You can actual get Irn Bru here in the US now. There is a Publix near me that has an British Food section. I shouted rather loud when I saw Hob Nobs, Penguins, Irn Bru and Digestives sitting there on the shelf.

There is also a Wal-Mart that has a British food section. Now both of these are in The Villages, (big old person retierment area), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. All other Publix/Wal-Mart I have been don't have the British Food section.

English versions of thier favorite books. My ds loves to find variations in spellings between the US and UK versions of books. He likes to tell people that he can spell in two languages. British and American.

British Money. Always a big hit here. The different size and colour of the coins. The paper money is different colours as well.

British candy. It's much sweeter and creamier than US candy.

Sarah

I have actually purchased it here also, but only in "British" shops and for an exuberant amount of money. I wish World Market would carry it, but sadly they do not. They have a variety of chocolates but I don't buy it too much due to the price (tho a Curly Wurly has like 80 calories for the whole bar, which is rather thin I admit...hehe).

Sadly, the last few years Irn Bru has not sat too well on my tummy. This is just most likely due to the rarity of drinking any soda in the last 5 years or so. Too much sugar for my poor tummy. But I do like to indulge even if I may regret it afterwards. Tee hee!

I have never been to the US so it is hard to know what you don't have. Can't you get everything there ;) ?

Sweeties might be fun. English toffee is very traditional. 'Princes Marshmallows' I know taste quite different to American ones (they are great toasted over a fire too). Biscuits are also quite different.

The museum shops often sell nice traditional toys (generally the toy shops in England are hopeless - we don't 'do' children I believe:rolleyes:). We have some skipping ropes made from the old spindles from the cotton mills; they are only a few pounds and they are really traditional.

Paddington Bear is set in London and the stories (make sure he gets the original novel versions in paperback by Michael Bond) are hilarious for all ages. He could buy a copy of Paddington and maybe a small Paddington bear! Very, very English!

Do they have everything imported from china also? Anything that is known in the region? TIA

The Horrible History series is easily available there. You can also find the other series in this line, Monstrous Maths and a science and geography line. Or you might have him get some of the audio books that are done by BBC. We love the Vicious Vikings and the Stories from Shakespeare that we have.

I also bought a 1,000 Years of British Kings and Queens book set (four small books) that is done in DK style. I found this at the Tower of London bookstore (may be out of print, I think it was done for the year 2000).

Teapots are certainly something England does well. I didn't realise until we started to travel around Europe. There are so few teapots on the continent.

If you like tea get some!!! My sister brought back some fair trade delicious tea from England. I'm not a big tea drinker - but I love this stuff. She said they're really big into fair trade over there and all the stuff she tried was good. For the kids - I'd say candy even though I'm not a big supporter of sugar. It might be cool just to see what odd treat kids like overseas.

If you are going to buy tea in England I really recommend Twining's 'Lady Grey' (my husband's favourite) or Ceylon Broken Orange Pekoe (not flavoured, just rich and mellow and my favourite) from Fortnum and Mason in London if possible.

If you want tea that will make a huge teapot full on only one teaspoon of tea then go for my mother-in-laws favourite 'Marks and Spencer's Extra Strong Tea' (loose leaf of course). But be warned, you really do only need a teaspoonful!

The most popular teas in England are probably Tetley Tea, P G tips and Yorkshire Tea (maybe a bit boring as a gift, though some English people won't leave the country without them).

That's my Arthur Dent moment over now ;)

The regular old, off the shelf cookies are so much crunchier (and they have great flavor combos not found here, either). We brought back cookies! Also, fresh bread! Real bread! We ate it before we got home.....

Are they the right age for Paddington Bear?

Anything from Harrod's!

British versions of books.....

Tea pots and teas......?

Not sure of their ages,

Regena