Menu

Thoughts on coconut oil and cholesterol

Our family has switched from canola oil to olive oil, flaxseed oil, and coconut oil. We eat Omega 3 eggs, and usually buy grass fed beef. We eat salmon twice a week, and take fish oil occasionally.

I got back some lab results today. My HDL cholesterol has increased, so that is good. Unfortunately, my LDL also increased. The hematologist said to give up beef, eat fewer eggs, and switch from olive oil to canola oil. :confused: I've always thought olive oil was much better for you than canola oil. She also said coconut oil was to be avoided at all costs.

I mentioned that I had read some good things about coconut oil online. She said that yes, it has some healthy properties, as does butter, but not for people with high LDL. She said one egg was okay, as long as I didn't have any other fat that day. :glare:

:confused:Is this consistent with what you all have been told by doctors? I'm getting retested in 3 months. I guess I will try her suggestions for that length of time and see if it helps.

Any thoughts?

See, I never ask my MD before trying new exercises.

I'm a PITA in that I don't believe any of them. They told my Nana and Pop to stop eating butter, eat margarine, they had my FIL and Dad on Lipitor and that's been a disaster.

I am SO not stopping the coconut oil. I can THINK. I can remember words past 2 pm. I am not asking people for words anymore.

I won't use canola because it's rapeseed which is all GMO.

I would up my fish oil--probably just take Krill oil, lower the coconut and I'm not a huge egg eater anyway, so that's not here nor there.

Do you have weight to loose? I would start there, too. But no one is making me give up my coconut oil.

I'd read up more about LDL and the "good" and "bad" LDL. My understanding is that a regular screen doesn't distinguish between the two, but there are two different kinds; one is fine, the other not. A regular screen doesn't actually measure your LDL directly; it uses a formula to derive it. And I've also heard that that formula is inaccurate if you have very low triglycerides. Last time I had my cholesterol checked, my LDL was borderline high, but my triglycerides were very low and all my ratios looked great. But I start sounding dumb very fast when I talk about something with so many numbers!

Here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/#axzz1p9dU3B8U

I had not heard that about olive oil. Neither, apparently, has the Mayo clinic. They recommend olive oil to lower cholesterol:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002/NSECTIONGROUP=2

Lowering coconut oil might make sense, though. It looks like there might still be a lot of debate about what coconut oil does to cholesterol. It might be worth a try to cut it out of your diet for 3 months and see what happens with your cholesterol levels. It's high in saturated fat. Butter is as well, but there are some possible indications that butter from grass fed cows doesn't have the same deleterious effects as other saturated fats. A lot of this stuff probably needs more research, though.

BTW -- canola oil is not a GMO product in the same way that other GMOs were created. For a variety of reasons, this means it may not have the same dangers associated with it that other GMOs do.

I'd read up more about LDL and the "good" and "bad" LDL. My understanding is that a regular screen doesn't distinguish between the two, but there are two different kinds; one is fine, the other not. A regular screen doesn't actually measure your LDL directly; it uses a formula to derive it. And I've also heard that that formula is inaccurate if you have very low triglycerides. Last time I had my cholesterol checked, my LDL was borderline high, but my triglycerides were very low and all my ratios looked great. But I start sounding dumb very fast when I talk about something with so many numbers!

Here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/#axzz1p9dU3B8U

I asked the doctor about the particle size, and she said the test she had run didn't measure that. Maybe I'll ask about it next time. I can pretty much guarantee that I'll have another blood draw 2-3 months after this next one. My triglycerides aren't high, but they aren't especially low either.

I had not heard that about olive oil. Neither, apparently, has the Mayo clinic. They recommend olive oil to lower cholesterol:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002/NSECTIONGROUP=2

Lowering coconut oil might make sense, though. It looks like there might still be a lot of debate about what coconut oil does to cholesterol. It might be worth a try to cut it out of your diet for 3 months and see what happens with your cholesterol levels. It's high in saturated fat. Butter is as well, but there are some possible indications that butter from grass fed cows doesn't have the same deleterious effects as other saturated fats. A lot of this stuff probably needs more research, though.

BTW -- canola oil is not a GMO product in the same way that other GMOs were created. For a variety of reasons, this means it may not have the same dangers associated with it that other GMOs do.

The canola oil I bought last night says it is organic and third party tested to prove it is not genetically modified. I will look at the site you linked. I have always heard good things about olive oil too.

See, I never ask my MD before trying new exercises.

I'm a PITA in that I don't believe any of them. They told my Nana and Pop to stop eating butter, eat margarine, they had my FIL and Dad on Lipitor and that's been a disaster.

I am SO not stopping the coconut oil. I can THINK. I can remember words past 2 pm. I am not asking people for words anymore.

I won't use canola because it's rapeseed which is all GMO.

I would up my fish oil--probably just take Krill oil, lower the coconut and I'm not a huge egg eater anyway, so that's not here nor there.

Do you have weight to loose? I would start there, too. But no one is making me give up my coconut oil.

I didn't ask my doctor before trying any of the new things. I switched to coconut oil after reading about it here. :lol: My increased LDL is either a coincidence, or due to my switch to coconut oil.

I'll look into krill oil since a few of you mentioned it. I've been taking Barlean Swirl fish oil.

FWIW, the doctor recommended I keep giving coconut oil to my kids. She said it was good for their brains. Maybe that relates to why it is good for brain fog too.

When you increase fats like that, it isn't uncommon to see both HDL and LDL go up. Dr. Eades has some good info on this. I also agree with particle size. Often the LDL goes up but the particles are becoming more bouyant and fluffy, which is thought to be less problematic than the denser, smaller LDL like VLDL. (eta: VLDL is often calculated (vs. directly measured) and in order to calculate it they look at your triglyceride levels. The higher the tris, the more likely you have higher VLDL, which is a more concerning form of LDL)

As a woman, I am more concerned with my triglyceride and HDL levels.

eta: this is kind of a decent primer if you are interested in looking into the topic more. It goes along for the most part with what Dr. Eades, Gary Taubes, etc. say about LDL and heart disease. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35058896/ns/health-heart_health/t/bad-cholesterol-its-not-what-you-think/

Edited by Momof3littles

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2008/12/coconut-lowers-ldl-vldl-and.html

"Administration of coconut water counteracts the increase in total cholesterol, VLDL + LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides, while high-density lipoprotein cholesterol was higher."

http://www.meltbutteryspread.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Beneficial-effects-of-virgin-coconut-oil-on-lipid-parameters-and-in-vitro-LDL-oxidation.pdf

"

To conclude, our preliminary data strongly suggest that

virgin coconut oil with its high polyphenol content was

capable of maintaining the normal levels of cholesterol and

other lipid parameters in tissues and serum and also increased the concentration of HDL cholesterol in rats. The

antioxidant activity of the PF of VCO against copperinduced LDL oxidation confirms the high potential of this

oil in protecting LDL against oxidative stress induced by

physiological oxidants"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/the-cholesterol-myth-that_b_676817.html

When you increase fats like that, it isn't uncommon to see both HDL and LDL go up. Dr. Eades has some good info on this. I also agree with particle size. Often the LDL goes up but the particles are becoming more bouyant and fluffy, which is thought to be less problematic than the denser, smaller LDL like VLDL. (eta: VLDL is often calculated (vs. directly measured) and in order to calculate it they look at your triglyceride levels. The higher the tris, the more likely you have higher VLDL, which is a more concerning form of LDL)

eta: this is kind of a decent primer if you are interested in looking into the topic more. It goes along for the most part with what Dr. Eades, Gary Taubes, etc. say about LDL and heart disease. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35058896/ns/health-heart_health/t/bad-cholesterol-its-not-what-you-think/

:iagree: Also, I've heard most drs. say that one test may not be completely accurate. 3 or 4 averaged will give you a better overall picture.

Edited by Susan in TN

My HDL is high enough that there is a note in the lab report stating that it is considered a negative risk factor for CHD.

Thanks for mentioning VLDL. My lab report gives me a VLDL in the bottom half of the normal range. I hadn't realized that was a measure of the particle size. Obviously I need to research that more.

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2008/12/coconut-lowers-ldl-vldl-and.html

"Administration of coconut water counteracts the increase in total cholesterol, VLDL + LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides, while high-density lipoprotein cholesterol was higher."

http://www.meltbutteryspread.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Beneficial-effects-of-virgin-coconut-oil-on-lipid-parameters-and-in-vitro-LDL-oxidation.pdf

"

To conclude, our preliminary data strongly suggest that

virgin coconut oil with its high polyphenol content was

capable of maintaining the normal levels of cholesterol and

other lipid parameters in tissues and serum and also increased the concentration of HDL cholesterol in rats. The

antioxidant activity of the PF of VCO against copperinduced LDL oxidation confirms the high potential of this

oil in protecting LDL against oxidative stress induced by

physiological oxidants"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/the-cholesterol-myth-that_b_676817.html

Hmm, I could drink coconut water. I don't especially love it, but it's okay.

It would be interesting to go the next three months with a diet very low in saturated fat and see what happens, since that is what the doctor recommended. I wonder if my HDL would end up dropping too. If the results aren't an improvement, I could add the coconut oil back in and request another test.

My HDL is high enough that there is a note in the lab report stating that it is considered a negative risk factor for CHD.

Thanks for mentioning VLDL. My lab report gives me a VLDL in the bottom half of the normal range. I hadn't realized that was a measure of the particle size. Obviously I need to research that more.

Well, the VLDL isn't directly measured on most standard tests. They can basically calculate an estimate based on your Triglyceride levels.

What was your HDL?

eta: are you actively losing weight right now? I know Dr. Eades says as people are actively losing weight, sometimes their LDL jumps for a few months.

If you went low fat, chances are your tris would shoot up, which could end up meaning higher VLDL and a less favorable particle size. And HDL might drop too. Most of what the medical community has been taught is kind of oversimplified IMO. Have you read Taubes yet?

Well, the VLDL isn't directly measured on most standard tests. They can basically calculate an estimate based on your Triglyceride levels.

What was your HDL?

eta: are you actively losing weight right now? I know Dr. Eades says as people are actively losing weight, sometimes their LDL jumps for a few months.

If you went low fat, chances are your tris would shoot up, which could end up meaning higher VLDL and a less favorable particle size. And HDL might drop too. Most of what the medical community has been taught is kind of oversimplified IMO. Have you read Taubes yet?

I read Good Calories, Bad Calories a long time ago. Cholesterol levels weren't on my radar then. No, I'm not actively losing weight- although I should! I'll pm you.

Edited by Julianna

This is probably a really silly question but does using coconut oil on your skin have the same affects on the brain as ingesting it?

The reason I ask is that for the last several months it (coconut oil) has been my go-to face moisturizer. I have noticed lately that I have more energy and don't seem as brain foggy. BUT, I am also using progesterone each morning which, until this thread, I assumed was why I was feeling better.

I don't know. I guess it doesn't really matter, does it? ;) I personally don't care for the taste of coconut oil though, so taking spoonfuls of it really grosses me out. I suppose I am secretly hoping to get it's wonderful benefits by absorption instead. :D

I would actually look into your Carb intake. If you have upped your carb intake, even unconsciously, that will mess with your cholesterol levels.

DH and I are both geneticists, so we like to experiment on ourselves and the kids. DH also donates blood every 6-8 weeks because he is a rare blood type so we know his levels very well. He has normal cholesterol readings, but when we added coconut oil in, he had even better readings for LDL and HDL.

My son had high cholesterol at four years (not familial). He was getting a lot of coconut oil--he has a metabolic condition that makes coconut a good choice for his fat. I did some research and, indeed, it will raise LDL levels. Whether it's bad or not is debated by some. In our case we cut drastically and his levels were normal.

Edited by sbgrace

I would actually look into your Carb intake. If you have upped your carb intake, even unconsciously, that will mess with your cholesterol levels.

DH and I are both geneticists, so we like to experiment on ourselves and the kids. DH also donates blood every 6-8 weeks because he is a rare blood type so we know his levels very well. He has normal cholesterol readings, but when we added coconut oil in, he had even better readings for LDL and HDL.

That just made me crack up. :001_smile: I love it.

I don't know much about my cholesterol, ,I had it tested once, it was a big lump sum test and they told me it was very high, but that they didn't check the particular levels of each kind and so I phhbbbtted them and I kept on keeping on. I've always taken fish oil and flaxseed oil, so of course my levels would be high. :glare: We only use olive oil (though I just started using Safflower oil for it's reported ability to lower belly fat and change the belly fat storing hormone-my mom packed on an estrogen belly after she went through the change and I'm trying to fight that before it happens).

I came on to ask about the carbs, too.

:lol: Sounds interesting!

I'm actually eating fewer carbs than any other time in my life. I used to be a "grain-based" vegan (vs. being a veggie eater). :tongue_smilie: Then I got into the whole wheat grinding, bread baking craze. I now find I feel best eating a lot of protein, so I've really cut back on the carbs. I do crave sugar though, so I was surprised my triglycerides weren't off the charts.

Here's something to chew on that I came across a few min ago. I know nothing of this man, website- whatever, just an interesting article.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

From the article: What thoughtful person would willfully expose himself repeatedly to foods or other substances that are known to cause injury to the body? Well, smokers perhaps, but at least they made that choice willfully.

I am raising my hand :blush:. I've known for the past decade that I cannot eat the nightshade veggies without causing extreme inflammation inside my body (I'm not sure if just my joints are inflammed or if my blood vessels are, too). I abstain as much as I can, but it is REALLY hard to pass up pizza and spaghetti sometimes :crying:

I have abeen taking fish oil capsules for years, and I believe they are helping a lot with my inflammation problem.

Thanks again for linking the article.

Here's something to chew on that I came across a few min ago. I know nothing of this man, website- whatever, just an interesting article.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

What a good article. The part that pisses me off is that the researchers I know, knew about this inflammation YEARS ago. 15-18 years ago. That's when Dh and I started taking fish/flax oil for inflammation. This is not new stuff, it's just finally made it's way to the public-and I would swear it's because of the internet.

What a good article. The part that pisses me off is that the researchers I know, knew about this inflammation YEARS ago. 15-18 years ago. That's when Dh and I started taking fish/flax oil for inflammation. This is not new stuff, it's just finally made it's way to the public-and I would swear it's because of the internet.

Sorry to go off on this tangent, but yes, it makes me mad too. Not just for this issue either. My sister had Crohn's disease (like IBS x 100 and often deadly). She went to many, many gastrointestinal specialists for years who gave her prescriptions and told her to eat a "bland" diet. After many surgeries (to remove sections of her intestines to keep her from dying), she read a book called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle". She went on the suggested (and fairly restricted) diet for 3 or 4 years, but by the end of that time, she was off all her medications and could eat virtually any food except zucchini. When I looked up info. on the internet myself, this diet stuff was all over the place but apparently, drs. don't have access to the internet :glare:.

I left our last pediatrician because I had the audacity to question the nurse over giving my baby an immunization when she had a bad cold. The nurse's response was "have you been reading crap on the internet?" (Why yes, ma'am, I have. Plus your informational sheet here that suggests delaying a shot if the child is ill. Give me a little credit for having a brain.)

Rant Over.

• 1 year later...
Guest Sunestern

My cholesterol level was quite high for a long time and a change in diet helped me more than anything. I don't drink any medications, just try to consume more products such as peanuts, rice, coconut oil, avocado, olives, walnuts, coconut oil, dark chocolate etc. I consumed all these products so I can't say if coconut oil alone would help but I've read that its one of the products that help.

I would either discount the nutritional advice or find a new practitioner.

The advice on eggs alone is under-informed, old schoo, and inaccurate.

I agree. There are many doctors out there who are completely uninformed in the area of nutrition.

It is likely that your numbers increased from combining the new habits you picked up (coconut oil and more eggs) with old habits like eating grains and sugar. My DH was able to lower his bad cholesterol by a lot (he was on meds) and increase his good cholesterol by switching to more healthy fats --he eats four eggs a day-- balanced with protein and vegetables while at the same time giving up grains and sugar. Bottom line, we believe the experts who find that most of the body's problems are related to processed food products (especially "healthy" whole grains).

I had a similar experience, and when I pushed back on the dr's nutritional advice, was sent to a nutritionist.  She told me to do the whole low-fat thing, and repeated the no-eggs speech.  I couldn't believe it!  She was young too, couldn't have been out of school for more than a few years, but I guess that's still what they're being taught.  This is a good reminder that I need to go get my levels tested again, and see if cutting out sugar (but not fat) has helped!

An important factor: higher stress leads to higher cholesterol counts. So instead of cutting things out or substituting to start with, you might first look for ways to lower stress:

- more sleep at night (go to bed earlier -- the more time asleep BEFORE midnight translates to more real restedness)

- cut out screen time (TV, computer, i-pad, e-reader, etc.) 1-2 hours before going to bed to allow the brain to settle from screen-redraw stimulation

- regular aerobic exercise (30-45 minutes 3-4 times a week)

- cut out extreme types of exercise (which actually stresses the body)

- meditation/relaxation techniques for 15-20 minutes a day

- several times a day, just do some deep breathing (slow count to 8 while breathing in; hold it for count of 8; slowly let it out over a count of 8)

- calm down the family schedule so everyone is not having to be getting somewhere all the time

- spend less time in traffic

- spend more time stroking a dog or cat (really helps lower the blood pressure!)

Also, try including more oatmeal in your diet, as it has been shown to lower cholesterol. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

I am raising my hand :blush:. I've known for the past decade that I cannot eat the nightshade veggies without causing extreme inflammation inside my body (I'm not sure if just my joints are inflammed or if my blood vessels are, too). I abstain as much as I can, but it is REALLY hard to pass up pizza and spaghetti sometimes :crying:

You can make spaghetti sauce out of carrots. Find a carrot dip recipe you like and dilute it.

Edit: Ah, old thread.

love coconut oil-don't use it as much as I did last year--my cholesterol is high due to family genetics (don't you love it!?)-so no matter how well I eat my numbers would be high. I don't use it daily but I do use coconut oil and olive oil....(I also take flaxseed oil,evening primrose oil,and a plant based omega pill)

Update -- I cut back on sugar and increased exercise.  Haven't lost ANY weight, but this got  my cholesterol from a borderline "not so great" down to "let's not worry about it."

I don't know whether the sugar reduction or the exercise (or neither) was responsible.

I use a lot of olive oil, but I certainly haven't cut down on other fats.