Menu

Sonlight has the newest video up....

mom&nana

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you too! I don't know that I would have thought to compare the books. It has been a long day and my brain is mush.

I hope someone does check. I counted and got 3-4 less I think But I am not sure what all they were doing. it was confusing.

Anyone doing that level want to report.

I'm in the high school levels so nothing big for us. And I'm not sure I'm getting other stuff anyway.

Does anyone know the previous cost for core f four day?

$556.98

http://www.sonlight.com/homeschool-curriculum.html?type=core&core=F&tab=core

The old catalog is still up and is the one that you can order from now. the new one won't go live until Apr 2

the new one is $419 but someone counted 24 books removed and not nearly that many put back in.

That core probably will change the most.

Probably need to decide which one you prefer to do. The EHE is gone but parts they say are in the IG

very sad that was a favorite core

Edited by ZooRho

$556.98

http://www.sonlight.com/homeschool-curriculum.html?type=core&core=F&tab=core

The old catalog is still up and is the one that you can order from now. the new one won't go live until Apr 2

the new one is $419 but someone counted 24 books removed and not nearly that many put back in.

That core probably will change the most.

Probably need to decide which one you prefer to do. The EHE is gone but parts they say are in the IG

very sad that was a favorite core

I can't see the catalogs on my iPad for some reason, so I couldn't see the new price. It was the old price I saw! What are they doing instead of the ehe??

I can't see the catalogs on my iPad for some reason, so I couldn't see the new price. It was the old price I saw! What are they doing instead of the ehe??

in the back of the catalog it said that the best of EHE was inccoporated into the IG. What does that mean though?

yes I heard others couldn't see it on the Ipad.

if you have access at SL you can see some of the talk about the changes in several threads there.

I cannot believe the IG price for core D in particular went from 61-something to 99 dollars. I feel like SL just kicked me in the rear end to get me out of there since I don't use their LA. How can I justify an almost 40 dollar increase in an IG when I don't use the LA? I feel like crying. Seriously. I'm not even mad, just horribly, horribly sad.

So many little changes add up to one big :ack2:

So, now they will not let you purchase the EHE separately...if you want it you need to buy the IG...that is sad. The EHE is an excellent tool to use on it's own. Ds just finished doing it and learned so much. But then I made him find all the answers by searching and asking the reference librarian for help, unlike the way SL suggests giving the answers if they are having difficulty (never understood this). I guess I will have to make one more purchase from SL, get an EHE before it's gone.

So many little changes add up to one big :ack2:

So, now they will not let you purchase the EHE separately...if you want it you need to buy the IG...that is sad. The EHE is an excellent tool to use on it's own. Ds just finished doing it and learned so much. But then I made him find all the answers by searching and asking the reference librarian for help, unlike the way SL suggests giving the answers if they are having difficulty (never understood this). I guess I will have to make one more purchase from SL, get an EHE before it's gone.

The little yuck face is exactly how I feel. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, giving them some slack, now I just feel nothing. I didn't think I was one of them who felt SL was a family member, but I realize now I did. All the little changes are now leaving a bad taste in my mouth. If I do purchase an IG with LA that I don't need, I will only purchase that and do everything I can to purchase everything else somewhere else. Before, I would try to order things from SL, and now I just don't think I can. I will try to find used IGs. They have offended me and my homeschool. They have taken away my choice to school my kids as I see fit by including the LA and raising the price 40 dollars to the Core IG. Am I being dramatic? Now I don't think so. I am becoming hardened now, thinking what to do for American History after we finish Core C. I can use them as a list, the thing they don't want people to do.

Edited by 3peasinapod

I wanted to do an hybrid from Core W with SOTW n Foster books on G & H combined with B & C for grades 6&7 and B&C with SOTW for my son Grade 4&5.

Then I was looking on Core F for Grade 8, know they are really messing me up.

I will not use their LA so that means I must place an order for 4 IG before 04/02/2012.?????

I wanted to do an hybrid from Core W with SOTW n Foster books on G & H combined with B & C for grades 6&7 and B&C with SOTW for my son Grade 4&5.

I will not use their LA so that means I must place an order for 4 IG before 04/02/2012.?????

The LA is not included in Cores B or C IGs. It is included with G and H, BUT it was always with some of the upper level cores. I hope someone can chime in, as I think LA was always in G and H, but not positive.

I cannot believe the IG price for core D in particular went from 61-something to 99 dollars. I feel like SL just kicked me in the rear end to get me out of there since I don't use their LA. How can I justify an almost 40 dollar increase in an IG when I don't use the LA? I feel like crying. Seriously. I'm not even mad, just horribly, horribly sad.

Buy the IG now then or the whole core.

Did you like the new book additions?

Buy the IG now then or the whole core.

Did you like the new book additions?

I didn't look too closely at D books, as we are doing C next, but maybe I need to look very closely. DH wants me to order at least a few IGs (that would be D and E) the old style without LA. I feel all rushed now.

I wouldn't do the Marshall books even if I had the new IG.

yes if you don't want the LA then you need to order before it goes live which they say is 4/02

I didn't look too closely at D books, as we are doing C next, but maybe I need to look very closely. DH wants me to order at least a few IGs (that would be D and E) the old style without LA. I feel all rushed now.

I wouldn't do the Marshall books even if I had the new IG.

I'm so sorry.

If you don't like the Marshall books at all then I suggest getting the old IG's

Get the book list so that you know the books you would need too. You might double check if any are more difficult to get.

I'm so sorry.

If you don't like the Marshall books at all then I suggest getting the old IG's

Get the book list so that you know the books you would need too. You might double check if any are more difficult to get.

I didn't think of that. I would need to order harder to get books too. :001_huh:

I didn't think of that. I would need to order harder to get books too. :001_huh:

I don't think it would be that hard. Really so many of the books were at the library and there are still some in the used sales.

I would get the one you think would work for you the best.

sorry you are in this position.

Totally OT BUT

Oh, don't miss out on Core 5! I've done it twice--without the missionary books and it is my favorite, favorite core with some of my favorite SL books--ever. If you don't do the missionary stories you free up a ton of time for all sorts of fun educational side trips. What's great about 5 is that you study all sorts of countries that a typical Western world history skips--The Golden Age of Islan--China--Japan--Australia--

I'm glad you said that, Thea, because I'm now going to take a very close look at it, esp with so many books being dropped. I will likely order the old IG for 5 and the old core 2 IG.

Now if only Baby would give me a minute to look at the digital catalog and figure out what I'm doing...

Oh, did you like the EHE?

Core F has some pretty drastic changes.

This is one of the years that we did Sonlight without tweaking. It was a really great homeschooling year.

But I remember that there was a lot of complaining about different aspects of that core on the boards. Many people didn't like the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer or found it too difficult to find answers. (That was not our experience, but I'm not a box checker and felt free to cross of some assignments that I thought were for older students.)

I think that some families also had heartache with reading books that featured non-Christians as favorable main characters. There was an attitude from some that showing a non-Christian as a favorable character was only ok if the plot involved their becoming Christian or showing the downsides of their religion.

I was just looking at Eastern Hemisphere Explorer online yesterday and wondering if I should buy one to do with my youngest. That really was a lovely year and I have a huge box with all of those books (but, alas, not the EHE).

This is one of the years that we did Sonlight without tweaking. It was a really great homeschooling year.

But I remember that there was a lot of complaining about different aspects of that core on the boards. Many people didn't like the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer or found it too difficult to find answers. (That was not our experience, but I'm not a box checker and felt free to cross of some assignments that I thought were for older students.)

I think that some families also had heartache with reading books that featured non-Christians as favorable main characters. There was an attitude from some that showing a non-Christian as a favorable character was only ok if the plot involved their becoming Christian or showing the downsides of their religion.

I was just looking at Eastern Hemisphere Explorer online yesterday and wondering if I should buy one to do with my youngest. That really was a lovely year and I have a huge box with all of those books (but, alas, not the EHE).

:confused: really? for real? We didn't do this Core, and probably won't with my younger, since I am really trying to stick to what I already own.

But, wow, that's just shallow.

~coffee~

What is EHE?

Eastern Hemisphere Explorer, which served as the work product for Core 5 (now core F?). It had workbook pages to fill in with short definitions of terms, places and events, timelines to fill in as well as maps and projects.

I thought it was the heart of the core, but many people were frustrated because it required work to find some answers.

I think there was also an issue of people doing Core 5 with 5th graders (along with younger siblings) and then getting frustrated because many of the topics discussed included harsh subjects like human traffiking, child brides, poverty and war.

I thought it was one of the best homeschooling years we ever had and will probably try to buy one more EHE so I can do this with our youngest.

The little yuck face is exactly how I feel. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, giving them some slack, now I just feel nothing. I didn't think I was one of them who felt SL was a family member, but I realize now I did. All the little changes are now leaving a bad taste in my mouth. If I do purchase an IG with LA that I don't need, I will only purchase that and do everything I can to purchase everything else somewhere else. Before, I would try to order things from SL, and now I just don't think I can. I will try to find used IGs. They have offended me and my homeschool. They have taken away my choice to school my kids as I see fit by including the LA and raising the price 40 dollars to the Core IG. Am I being dramatic? Now I don't think so. I am becoming hardened now, thinking what to do for American History after we finish Core C. I can use them as a list, the thing they don't want people to do.

SL turned out to not be a perfect fit for my son, and I didn't feel like *family*, but I did feel that I was welcome to use the parts that worked for us and I made an effort to buy the books I wanted that SL sold from them since they did me the favor of giving me a starting point for making our own plan.

I'm a little backwards from the usual, the core IG's are a waste for me, so I got the 2011 LA IG to schedule the readers and for a writing supplement, figuring I was willing to spring the $39.99 for the LA IG to go along with their reader package. I surely won't spend $100+ on a Core IG that I won't use.

These latest changes make me feel that if I'm not with them 100%, they'd rather show me to the door. :001_huh:

Eastern Hemisphere Explorer, which served as the work product for Core 5 (now core F?). It had workbook pages to fill in with short definitions of terms, places and events, timelines to fill in as well as maps and projects.

I thought it was the heart of the core, but many people were frustrated because it required work to find some answers.

I think there was also an issue of people doing Core 5 with 5th graders (along with younger siblings) and then getting frustrated because many of the topics discussed included harsh subjects like human traffiking, child brides, poverty and war.

I thought it was one of the best homeschooling years we ever had and will probably try to buy one more EHE so I can do this with our youngest.

Thanks. I will order one now. I won't be doing this one for awhile, but I want it before it's gone!

Thanks. I will order one now. I won't be doing this one for awhile, but I want it before it's gone!

Yeah, I just ordered the consumables so I can do Core 5/F one more time. It was such snuggly fun.

I haven't looked at the list of books dropped. But I think that a side effect of wanting the curriculum to be "open and go" is that people aren't comfortable with taking out or substituting a book if they decide it isn't for them.

And it was a heavy book core. Dropping to 4 days would take a lot out.

I'm glad you said that, Thea, because I'm now going to take a very close look at it, esp with so many books being dropped. I will likely order the old IG for 5 and the old core 2 IG.

Now if only Baby would give me a minute to look at the digital catalog and figure out what I'm doing...

Oh, did you like the EHE?

I'm one that *LOVED* the EHE. I used 5/F with a 5th, 6th and 7th grader and it was perfect.

I used the old and the new EHE--I even used some of the old pages of the EHE for my younger two --there use to be a great chart that you filled out with each country's population and form of government. Very cool.

My dc didn't love the EHE, BUT they learned and retained TONS. Even now (we did 5/F last year with my younger two and 6 years ago with my oldest) they remember bits of information that they learned while doing the EHE.

eta: I think some of the angst w/the EHE comes from those who have used SL for years. The EHE is very different and time consuming. I started SL with Core 5 and was surprised at how little time Core 6 took the following year.

Edited by Thea

I'm one that *LOVED* the EHE. I used 5/F with a 5th, 6th and 7th grader and it was perfect.

I used the old and the new EHE--I even used some of the old pages of the EHE for my younger two --there use to be a great chart that you filled out with each country's population and form of government. Very cool.

My dc didn't love the EHE, BUT they learned and retained TONS. Even now (we did 5/F last year with my younger two and 6 years ago with my oldest) they remember bits of information that they learned while doing the EHE.

eta: I think some of the angst w/the EHE comes from those who have used SL for years. The EHE is very different and time consuming. I started SL with Core 5 and was surprised at how little time Core 6 took the following year.

Yes, I could have written the same thing. I actually wish the work level had stayed high in 6.

Do you think I could use the EHE with WP's Children Around the World program? Or is it way too tied into the Core IG?

You can use the EHE as a standalone.

It appears that SL has incorporated some aspects of the EHE into the new IG.

It's not that tied except for the countries it covers. And you can skip around in order.

In fact our entire ig was reordered because a book from the first month was backordered. I got a new ig schedule without even asking because they realized there would be a problem. Which is a good example of the customer service people were associating with SL.

So what is it that is so much of a favorite with Core 5/F? Is it more activity-oriented? Is it the books that are chosen? Should I get the current F IG and the EHE before the Big Switch?

My interest in it stemmed from the fact that there's really not that much else out there in terms of curricula devoted to studying the East in any depth or with much respect.

I find it strange that some would expect such secular education from a company called "Sonlight". I've only used one core, and I don't plan on using any others, but I knew the company was Christian and expected subjects to be taught from a biblical perspective.

I agree that it is a Christian company, but I feel they bent to the uproar last year because they included some materials that included old earth. They were in trouble with Hamm's group and call me cynical but I think they changed things because of that, and money, not because of convictions. My opinion only, but that doesn't satisfy anyone, and leaves me cold.

My interest in it stemmed from the fact that there's really not that much else out there in terms of curricula devoted to studying the East in any depth or with much respect.

I think that is what most people like about it. It is just not an area studied much.

I think that is what most people like about it. It is just not an area studied much.

OK so the things you do aren't super different from the other cores? Because I'm quite burned out on "doing stuff." We have been loving just sitting down and reading.:D

Are these the 24 books taken out of the core? I can't believe I'm considering buying a core 4 years in advance.