Menu

Sonlight has the newest video up....

mom&nana

Well, I may be in the minority but, I plan on ordering the Core D IG on April 2. I can't wait! It looks great to me. :hurray:

Did you see that they added back in Light and the Glory

a book they at one time said was filled with inaccuracies

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too was surprised to see the "Light and the Glory". I have been doing Core 3 this year with a 2000 IG (which has an entire appendix written about concerns over L & G) and, to be honest, I really enjoy the simplicity of it. I feel no obligation to ask my boys all kinds of questions at the end of each chapter (because they aren't there) and we just find places on the maps as we come to them. I am grateful for SWB's teaching on narration which I feel has freed me in this department. I just ask them to narrate back to me what they got out of the reading, and I can tell from that how much they are picking up.

If I want to stray from my $5 schedule I feel OK with that because most of the books are either from the library or salvation army. I do enjoy the Landmark History book (which I did buy), but I feel my 6th grader is the only one getting much from it.

On the other hand, my oldest is doing a 2011 Core H which is about 3 times in size. I feel like I utilize so little of this even though the schedule alone makes it worthwhile for us. I do like the addition of vocabulary words which is helpful to review before many of the readings. wish they would offer a "schedule only" option for those of us who do not really see the need for pages and pages of questions.

I don't think the new changes make me feel much different about Sonlight. I plan to do a World Geography study the year after next and am seriously considering the Eastern Cultures Core (F?) which I will have to buy new if I can't hunt up a used IG before then. I would be interested to see how they change it. I have never used their LA so that would be hard for me to have to buy just to get the rest of it.

Edited by Blossom'sGirl
spelling error

I've just realized that the post by John Holzmann is in a public area of the Sonlight forum. So, here's the link: https://forums.sonlight.com/topic/86678-curious/

Interesting. I guess they have definitely had a change of heart. I guess I will just have to wait and see what book changes are in Cores G and H before I decide whether I want the newer guides or not.

Thanks!

Lisa

Did you see that they added back in Light and the Glory

a book they at one time said was filled with inaccuracies

Every time I get excited about something, something happens to deflate my balloon! :sad:

I've been checking the SL forums for an explanation. I really hope it's just a typo. That throws a major wrench in my plans. I was going to do Core D with my 9 yo dd and Core 100 with my 13 yo ds.

It just keeps piling on. I felt more comfortable after the video of Sarita and them explaining why they put LA in, etc., etc. Not because I agreed, but because they "let us in on the secret." This is very disheartening for me. I feel like I'm just floating around now, as I had intended to use SL for a while. If this is the type of books there will be now, what am I going to do? Just a little overwhelmed with the possibility of yet again looking for something.

I guess I could use SOTW 3 next year and add in a lot of read alouds from SL's core D. Seriously, this is truly bumming me out. I don't want to fill my young children's head with drivel. The sad thing is, I trusted SL NOT to do that. I am so busy with homeschooling and working part time that I would have went with it if I had not seen the discussions here. I'm sorry to admit that I don't have time to research everything, and that's why I went with a company I felt I could trust. This saddens me to no end. More time planning, less time with family.:confused:

Every time I get excited about something, something happens to deflate my balloon! :sad:

I've been checking the SL forums for an explanation. I really hope it's just a typo. That throws a major wrench in my plans. I was going to do Core D with my 9 yo dd and Core 100 with my 13 yo ds.

well from some others I'm talking to don't expect an explanation anytime soon, if at all really. and it will be shallow.

most long time slers see this as a continuation of the shift in their philosophy.

It just keeps piling on. I felt more comfortable after the video of Sarita and them explaining why they put LA in, etc., etc. Not because I agreed, but because they "let us in on the secret." This is very disheartening for me. I feel like I'm just floating around now, as I had intended to use SL for a while. If this is the type of books there will be now, what am I going to do? Just a little overwhelmed with the possibility of yet again looking for something.

I guess I could use SOTW 3 next year and add in a lot of read alouds from SL's core D. Seriously, this is truly bumming me out. I don't want to fill my young children's head with drivel. The sad thing is, I trusted SL NOT to do that. I am so busy with homeschooling and working part time that I would have went with it if I had not seen the discussions here. I'm sorry to admit that I don't have time to research everything, and that's why I went with a company I felt I could trust. This saddens me to no end. More time planning, less time with family.:confused:

either order now or by used

:iagree:

I feel the same way. Let's just hope there is a good explanation; at least one we can live with.

I,too, was finally settled on coming back to SL after floundering with MFW and HOD. My older dc (in their 20's) STILL remember what they learned with SL years ago! I just don't know what I'm going to do now. I was so excited about having made a decision and being ready to order next month. :crying:

:iagree:

I feel the same way. Let's just hope there is a good explanation; at least one we can live with.

I,too, was finally settled on coming back to SL after floundering with MFW and HOD. My older dc (in their 20's) STILL remember what they learned with SL years ago! I just don't know what I'm going to do now. I was so excited about having made a decision and being ready to order next month. :crying:

Wouldn't it be nice if it were a typo? Haha, not holding my breath. ;)

Dude, I need to know if the L&G is going to be used in core 4 or not. Can they not for once just answer a simple question?

Yes, I was all set to upgrade my Core 4 IG, so happy that I finally had a plan for next year. I really liked the look of the new layout, until I saw L&G listed in Core 3...so bummed :tongue_smilie: And glad that that I've hung on to my old manuals.

Dude, I need to know if the L&G is going to be used in core 4 or not. Can they not for once just answer a simple question?

Does anyone know if a phone call would yield an answer? I notice there are multiple threads about it over there, and they haven't answered any of them yet.

I'm fine with buying Core E used if we continue with SL next year. It's certainly cheaper!

Does anyone know if a phone call would yield an answer? I notice there are multiple threads about it over there, and they haven't answered any of them yet.

I'm fine with buying Core E used if we continue with SL next year. It's certainly cheaper!

try it . I doubt they will answer today though

I find it strange that some would expect such secular education from a company called "Sonlight". I've only used one core, and I don't plan on using any others, but I knew the company was Christian and expected subjects to be taught from a biblical perspective.

Ditto, except I am open to buying from them again.

The Light and the Glory for Young Readers in Core D and Sea to Shining Sea for Young Readers in Core D, and Sounding Forth the Trumpt for Young Readers in Core E ... all authored by Peter Marshall

So it's not just one book, they are bringing back multiple books? Or have the other two never been used before?

So it's not just one book, they are bringing back multiple books? Or have the other two never been used before?

Not sure about the last one, but John's response in the thread linked upthread here indicated that the second book was used since he addressed his issues with that book as well.

Adding those three books to ANY program, religious or not, makes it a complete no-go for me. As a former history major in college, any book that is that innaccurate, biased and calls itself a history text is a disgrace. It doesn't matter if it is an optional 5th day only text - there is NO EXCUSE for using a book with that many errors.

And as for there not being alternatives - I have several on my bookshelf that cover the same areas mentioned in the Sonlight forum as reasons why they wanted to use this text again. But the books I have cover it in a unbiased historical manner without pushing a religious POV. If little old me with no resources can find alternatives without trying too hard, I'm sure a big homeschool company like Sonlight can.

They used both the Light and the Glory and the Sea to Shining Sea in Core 3, in 95.

I didn't see the third book.

the next year they added in the Landmark book.

Adding those three books to ANY program, religious or not, makes it a complete no-go for me. As a former history major in college, any book that is that innaccurate, biased and calls itself a history text is a disgrace. It doesn't matter if it is an optional 5th day only text - there is NO EXCUSE for using a book with that many errors.

And as for there not being alternatives - I have several on my bookshelf that cover the same areas mentioned in the Sonlight forum as reasons why they wanted to use this text again. But the books I have cover it in a unbiased historical manner without pushing a religious POV. If little old me with no resources can find alternatives without trying too hard, I'm sure a big homeschool company like Sonlight can.

This is SL's response:

https://forums.sonlight.com/topic/317608-whats-the-deal-with-the-light-and-the-glory-in-core-d/

I had been considering SL for next year: Core 100 spread over 2 years along with Core D. I don't like the looks of the grammar too much for D. We've been using IEW and Easy Grammar and my 3rd grader is way past the work they are showing in this! I was also going to have to use TruthQuest or some other source to find books for my 1st grader to coordinate.

I don't like how they constantly change and you have to rebuy. If I write on my IG and just want to buy another, it's totally changed and I need new books, etc, etc.

TOG is sounding better and better, though not cheaper in the first four years.) Over time, I think you would save money over the long run though

Ok, wait, did the old IG's have LA and Bible? I don't have any before 2001.

yes the old IG's or Teacher's manuals did have LA and Bible. I am not sure when they got seperated out. I am sure when we first started in 95 until my son's 2nd grade year it was all inclusive, The first manuals were bound.

The Bible didn't get pulled out until the last few years. It was pulled because I think there were some that said they only used on Bible with the family and didn't want to do the multiple purchases.

I wonder if anyone has any of those old IG's around to compare the samples to? Are they just turning back the clock?

I have some of the original bound IG's. They didn't have as much as this new one did. certainly not the notes.

but yes they were all one bound book.

I don't know which bin they are in so to physically check it just isn't going to happen

I wonder if anyone has any of those old IG's around to compare the samples to? Are they just turning back the clock?

I haven't read this entire thread but I have been thinking about some of the changes being made and saying to myself -- Isn't that how the guides were to begin with? So yes it does seem like they are turning back the clock. My oldest guide is from 2000 and I will compare when I get a complete handle on all the changes.

I love Sonlight. I can't imagine homeschooling without it. We have done cores pk through D (currently). I don't love the changes. The numbers to letters threw me for a mental loop last year! I use Essentials & IEW for LA so I dislike the idea of them being included. We did use them for Core B and part of C, but I don't plan to use their LA in the future. That said, I still need to watch Sarita's video, and I will continue to use their cores. My biggest decision for fall will be whether to skip E and go straight to F so my 6th grader doesn't miss it.

I love Sonlight. I can't imagine homeschooling without it. We have done cores pk through D (currently). I don't love the changes. The numbers to letters threw me for a mental loop last year! I use Essentials & IEW for LA so I dislike the idea of them being included. We did use them for Core B and part of C, but I don't plan to use their LA in the future. That said, I still need to watch Sarita's video, and I will continue to use their cores. My biggest decision for fall will be whether to skip E and go straight to F so my 6th grader doesn't miss it.

Why would your child miss F?

Do E this next year the following F then G then H.

Why would your child miss F?

Do E this next year the following F then G then H.

:bigear:

I was wondering too. If anything, skip G&H and just do Core W, which is a combined year. Hmmmmm...

Now that LA is included, what are they going to do about us strange folk who combine our kids into one core, yet use the LA and readers for each age group?? There's a question!

Faithe

I was wondering too. If anything, skip G&H and just do Core W, which is a combined year. Hmmmmm...

Now that LA is included, what are they going to do about us strange folk who combine our kids into one core, yet use the LA and readers for each age group?? There's a question!

Faithe

It's been asked. You're supposed to buy a complete core and then purchase extra.

Faithe

the older cores those past D have integrated Readers so the LA had already been integrated in for those cores anyway with the readers. I think they had suggestions on doing things for various levels with in the core. Don't know about the changes though.

I haven't read this entire thread but I have been thinking about some of the changes being made and saying to myself -- Isn't that how the guides were to begin with? So yes it does seem like they are turning back the clock. My oldest guide is from 2000 and I will compare when I get a complete handle on all the changes.

i think sarita explains this quite well on video. the formatting being changed back to how it once was is intended to make the IGs easier to use. she explains how they grew to such an enormous, complicated format that required a youtube video explaining how to organize it.

i took what she said and concluded SL listened to their customers(not all are online!;)) and set out a way to make the IGs easier to use and transport. that improvement she realized, meant needing to take a step back to how IGs use to be-when she was using them.

also from my understanding, The Light and the Glory is not the same book as used before-it is a completely different version-condensed.

Does anyone know what keeps getting modsnipped from the discussions on the Sonlight forum? I feel so confused trying to read there.

I am not a huge fan of the new IG scheduling. Especially if you want to do 4 day, which was my plan. It looks like it will be more work for me in the long run.

I am not a huge fan of the new IG scheduling. Especially if you want to do 4 day, which was my plan. It looks like it will be more work for me in the long run.

Ditto. I use the 4-day plan, and the way things are scheduled now work perfectly. We're receiving a hefty tax refund (due to not updating our W-4 in several years LOL), so I'm going to attempt to buy up several years' worth of IG before April 2 so I don't have to put up with the new scheduling method. No matter how many times the word "intuitive" is used, it very much ISN'T, even though they supposedly "had me in mind.":glare:

I AM bummed to miss out on the great notes and discussion stuff about the books though. But for me the tradeoff isn't worth it. I've spent 10 years pulling my hair out when it came to history, and we FINALLY have hit upon something that works and that is literally pull off the shelf, open, and go. I don't want to fix something that isn't broken.

Does anyone know what keeps getting modsnipped from the discussions on the Sonlight forum? I feel so confused trying to read there.

Anything they feel goes against their views, talking about the edits, or things that may go against the Evangelical Christian beliefs.

I got a mod edit,

Not sure exactly why, I mentioned something about not buying from them again and borrowing a core I think

Anything they feel goes against their views, talking about the edits, or things that may go against the Evangelical Christian beliefs.

I got a mod edit,

Not sure exactly why, I mentioned something about not buying from them again and borrowing a core I think

i disagree. i think sl has been very, very lenient with those who are outspoken to the point of being rude and argumentative. i'm NOT saying this is you-i have no idea which post of yours was edited, but i read so many with my jaw dropping in disbelief at the incredible display of un-Christ-like posts.

it is one thing to make a suggestion to a company, another to inquire about the philosophies of the company, but to do so in such a rude, argumentative way is out of line. to throw personal attacks at the company's employees-I mean holy cow! i don't blame the mods for locking the few threads i read.

i think the above statement is very unfair.

ducking for the tomatoes....

i disagree. i think sl has been very, very lenient with those who are outspoken to the point of being rude and argumentative. i'm NOT saying this is you-i have no idea which post of yours was edited, but i read so many with my jaw dropping in disbelief at the incredible display of un-Christ-like posts.

it is one thing to make a suggestion to a company, another to inquire about the philosophies of the company, but to do so in such a rude, argumentative way is out of line. to throw personal attacks at the company's employees-I mean holy cow! i don't blame the mods for locking the few threads i read.

how is it unfair?

Well Do you know exactly what was moderated out?

I do.

I have talked to others that have had stuff moderated out.

Now I will agree some personal attacks should get a moderated and honestly it really has been a two way street on some of the ugliness.

and yes what I posted above is a bit of a stretch on thier real reasons to mod edit stuff.

oh and editing to add. my mod edit came in a good bye thread there.

I agree with you! I am appalled at the venomous posts I've read. If I owned Sonlight, I'd shut down the forums completely. Nothing is worth that kind of aggressive mean spirited talk. I would just ditch the forums and let unhappy people gripe elsewhere.