Menu

Best spelling prog for an older struggling student

Momma4Boys

I tried the writing road to reading TWRTR with my oldest about 6 years ago and BOMBED big time - it was wwwaaaayyyy to hard for me to teach - I took the 2 day teaching seminar and everything. the website said that Spalding was based on TWRTR - is it insanely difficult to master (for the teacher)?

We have had great success with AAS! My son is 8 and just started a few months ago. He is in level 2 now and it moves fast if they have the basics down! He brought me the white board that we use for spelling today, and he had written on it "I love spelling!". He is not one to get too excited about school work, so that is saying A Lot! We bought the Phonetic Zoo to try after he finishes at least one more level of AAS because I like the philosophy behind it, but if it doesn't work I know what we will come back to using:)

My ds who is 10 (soon to be 11) is a horrible speller and a reluctant reader/writer. Any suggestions for a spelling program that isn't too babyish? I was looking at AAS but I have never "seen" it.

:bigear:

I started AAS when my kids were 11 and 9, it's been a great fit here. Not too babyish at all. The level 1 words were easy but the concepts were still new. I reviewed it on my blog. One thing I really like for reluctant writers is that it gradually builds up proficiency and confidence by starting with words and short dictations, and gradually adding on longer ones, and then also adds on writing independent sentences--so they gradually gain fluency in writing. Also, my kids' reading levels went up 2 grade levels the first year, so it helped with reading too. This link has the samples and scope & sequence links for levels 1-6. HTH some as you decide whether it would be a fit for you & your son. Merry :-)

I'm using Spalding/WRTR and Spell to Write and Read with an adult learner right now.

But if I had nothing already and was about to purchase something I think I might try the new Logic of English. I do NOT like the LOE handwriting though. It looks like D'Nealian which cannot be verbally explained as easily as Spalding/WRTR.

I like the Spalding handwriting instructions best, even though they are leaner than SWR. I think the Cursive First SWR handwriting sheets are confusing my student more than helping. And the styles are not completely compatible and she insists she needs worksheets and a computer font, and the cursive flashcards.

I'm getting ready to hide all the SWR "helps". I think she does better with me just reciting the verbal scripts in WRTR, and her NOT having a visual example.

spelling plus and their dictation resource book are excellent! it covers the 1,000 most frequently spelled words. you really need the dictation book though imho, as it continually uses past words from previous lessons. both books are cheap. my daughter is 10 and has struggled with spelling also, and for her, the best way of learning really has to involve dictation. otherwise, it just does not transfer to "real life" writing well. last year, we used dictation only and she was doing fabulous. this year, i switched to BJU spelling, and although she is mastering the lists - it just isn't transferring into her daily assignments as i had hoped. i just switched back to dictation only & already see leaps of improvement. i've been pulling my own passages from books (currently using skylark) and i dictate 6 sentences a day, making sure quotations, commas, etc. are included. it seems to really be solidifying her spelling and understanding of grammar. this works for us anyway.:)

I tried the writing road to reading TWRTR with my oldest about 6 years ago and BOMBED big time - it was wwwaaaayyyy to hard for me to teach - I took the 2 day teaching seminar and everything. the website said that Spalding was based on TWRTR - is it insanely difficult to master (for the teacher)?

Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual. Spalding is not based on WRTR; WRTR is the manual for teaching the Spalding Method.

I'm not sure which two-day seminar you attended. Are you sure it was a Spalding workshop and not a Teaching Reading at Home workshop? (TRAH was Sanseri's precursor to Spell to Write and Read.)

Spalding isn't hard to teach. If that were so, *I* wouldn't have been able to pull it off, lol.

I'm doing something a bit unusual. We were using Spell to Write and Read, or whatever it was called, and hated it, too needlessly complex. Then we switched to Spelling Power and we love it, but I noticed that my D was making up sounds for letter combinations while reading and having trouble spelling words that are just beyond basic. I got The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading a couple weeks ago and am using it as a spelling book for now. We started at the first two letter combinations and are working through it quickly until we reach a struggling point. It seems very basic, but that's the point. My D has been reading at 3 to 4 years above her grade level since the beginning of 2nd grade, but we've reached the so called 4th grade slump now. We didn't start home schooling until mid 1st grade, so she missed out on the instruction I would have given her had I know then... I figure it's best to start from scratch now, than to see her struggle at the middle school level. There is some information on this idea on the OPGTR webpage.

Apples & Pears spelling!

It is totally different and designed for struggling spellers. It is not babyish at all. There is a placement test on their website. Go to the Special Needs board and search Apples & Pears. You will see how good the results are from the users. It is the best spelling program I have ever used!

Apples & Pears spelling!

It is totally different and designed for struggling spellers. It is not babyish at all. There is a placement test on their website. Go to the Special Needs board and search Apples & Pears. You will see how good the results are from the users. It is the best spelling program I have ever used!

Oh! I'll have to check this out!!!

Apples & Pears spelling!

I have been looking at their website and I have to say I am intrigued - I think I could use this with all 3 of my younger kids.

I noticed it was published in the UK - have you found any issues with american pronunciation or did they make a specific US edition?

Thanks for this - I had never heard of it.

Apples & Pears spelling!

:iagree:completely! Apples and Pears has been amazing for my son, who is now 12. He's working on book D now, and his spelling has improved dramatically.

I'm using Spalding/WRTR and Spell to Write and Read with an adult learner right now.

But if I had nothing already and was about to purchase something I think I might try the new Logic of English. I do NOT like the LOE handwriting though. It looks like D'Nealian which cannot be verbally explained as easily as Spalding/WRTR.

I like the Spalding handwriting instructions best, even though they are leaner than SWR. I think the Cursive First SWR handwriting sheets are confusing my student more than helping. And the styles are not completely compatible and she insists she needs worksheets and a computer font, and the cursive flashcards.

I'm getting ready to hide all the SWR "helps". I think she does better with me just reciting the verbal scripts in WRTR, and her NOT having a visual example.

I took away all the SWR Cursive First resources yesterday. My student was on the urge of hysteria. By the end of our tutoring session she was thanking me. Sometimes "less is more"! I have noticed for myself, and for this student, that we do better with just the few pages of instructions in WRTR. I know the OP question was on the spelling part of WRTR, but I just wanted to include this, because many of the spelling curricula are integrated programs.

I have been looking at their website and I have to say I am intrigued - I think I could use this with all 3 of my younger kids.

I noticed it was published in the UK - have you found any issues with american pronunciation or did they make a specific US edition?

I just bought it and you click on USA store and they are printed here, so they should be American . . . . . I haven't found any problems, but haven't been using it long. We do get a kick out of all the dictation sentences about the queen. There was the the quid that I have never heard before and we looked it up, but it was used differently in the dictation sentence. Still not completely sure what that word means. :lol: There was a couple more words that were never use that I thought was weird to teach a kid to spell so I just assumed they are more commonly used in the UK. So far we are liking it but too soon for results. I started at the very end of Book A with my 11 year old. You are suppose to do one level for a lesson, but it is just a little too long for him. It take 30-40 minutes and he has had his share at 20 minutes. I haven't decided if we will take two days or maybe come back and finish it later in the day.

You have received some great advice! I have a son who is two years "behind" in spelling and another who is good at and on target for spelling. So, I have used or looked at a lot of these programs! Spelling is one thing that my boys can't use the same program. Here is what I have looked at for my struggling speller. My favorite is Spelling Plus. It is at least worth getting to read as it has a great introduction on how to teach spelling. I have the dictation book for it too and we still use that and I have my kids study spelling words using their technique. (I just don't use their list at the moment.) The How to Teach Spelling looks great, but it doen't break it down and have lesson plans. AAS is great too, but my oldest became overwhelmed with it (too much information and activities). We just started using Apples & Pears and I like it, but too soon for results.

We are using A&P now. There are the occasional British words like pram and quid, but overall we haven't found much issue with it.

I would definitely suggest A&P for an older student. It's so easy to use and does get good results. While I do like AAS, I think the word lists would be very easy for an older student, and they might not like using the tiles.

While my dd is only 8, we have also struggled finding a spelling program that worked for her. But I just wanted to fifth or sixth using Apples and Pears. We have only done 11 levels (lessons), but my dd's spelling has improved tremendously! Even she has noticed how much better she is doing.

I like A&P because it teaches spelling the way that I spell. I am a very good speller, spelling bees and all that, but I don't spell by rules or phonics, I spell by breaking the words into their parts.

It is also spiral, so they are constantly reviewing previously learned words and phonemes. Dictation is included as well. I can't say enough good things about this program. It has truly been a blessing in our home!

Apples & Pears spelling!

:iagree:

This time last year, my DS11, couldn't spell more than nine words (thanks public school). Now he's actually good at spelling thanks to Apples & Pears. He just finished the first book and is starting the second book. Even he can't believe he's actually a good speller!

Another great thing about A&P is it's helped with his reading! He has severe dyslexia and in a years time he has gone from reading at a beginning first grade level to a beginning third grade level. :). He also is using Dancing Bears.

We switched to Megawords after using SS for years with all my children. Megawords has been wonderful for my struggling 12 year olds. It incorporates phonics remediation as well as spelling. We haven't hit an area where that is needed yet, but I can see how their lack of understanding in some areas of phonics has attributed to their lack of understanding of spelling skills.

I am using AAS with my 12 year old horrible speller. It's helped him a great deal. I might look at A&P and LOE since sometimes getting AAS done is a challenge. I haven't looked at either of those yet so I don't know if they are a bit more independent or not. I'm hesitant to fix what isn't broken if you know what I mean.

Blessings,

So if I go with A&P - which I am leaning towards thanks to all of you lovely ladies with wonderful advice and knowledge :) - would I start my 10 yr old with level 1 or somewhere else?

I had to start my DS11 with Book A because the knew very little. I believe there are placement tests on the website.

We just started using A&P for DS1 and Dancing Bears for DS2. Both are going very well so far, but we are early in the programs. Anyway, looking through them, I haven't seen anything in A&P that would be different between UK and US. The one thing I've seen was in Dancing Bears, where they have the word "kerb". We spell it "curb" here. I don't think it will be a problem though. Otherwise, use of words like quid and pram are certainly there.

kandty: A quid is slang for a pound (money). So if you say you have 5 quid, that's like saying you have 5 pounds. You obviously didn't watch all the good British television as a kid! :lol:

So if I go with A&P - which I am leaning towards thanks to all of you lovely ladies with wonderful advice and knowledge :) - would I start my 10 yr old with level 1 or somewhere else?

They have a placement test. Just click on the link on the left side that says, "Where to start with spelling". You can actually test into a specific part of the book, which is handy. We're using Book A, and we started around level 20, though my son technically tested into level 30. I backed him up a bit to give him confidence, and that seems to be working. spelling is what freaks him out about writing.

Also, in case you didn't see it (I missed it the first few times I went to their website), you can see the entire contents of each book. Just click on the "See inside" link below the picture of the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Phonics Road. I started DD(12) on level 2 and we are starting level 3 now. I only did the spelling with her since she had some background in grammar. Level 3 is more complicated and will be more than 1/2 a year to complete. When she comes across a word she can't spell I tell her to think about how it would be spelled on the program and she usually manages. I tried Spelling Power-flop. I looked at AAS and sold it. I had How to Teach Spelling and sold that too. This is the easiest for me and I will need the levels for the youngers so I am fine spending the $$.