Menu

Registry for a children's birthday party?

On one hand I see it as tacky and greedy.

On the practical side, though, it would make shopping for kids so much easier. I never know what the bday child has, wants or can't have.

We never had bday parties for our kids, in part, because of the presents. We are pretty conservative and don't allow some things marketed to kids. It's tacky to say, "No gifts, please" on the invitations, so it was easier to not have parties.

Hmmm... I could see it being either. For grandparents or other family I wouldn't see anything tacky about an Amazon wish list or something like that. But for friends coming to a party I think a registry is weird.

:iagree: I make a birthday/Christmas wish list for the kids as ideas of what they like, and only for family. If it was for a friend's kid birthday party, I would think it horribly rude.

If my mom says what do the kids want for their birthdays and I say, I'll forward you their Amazon wishlist - I don't have a problem with that.

To receive a birthday party invitation saying that a child is registered at such and such store - very tacky IMO.

Personally, I like the idea, but I think most ppl might not receive it as well. I don't know. I love to buy gifts that ppl are going to use and that the WANT. I would love to know that someone registered and I could just go pick it up.

But, on the other hand, I think most ppl would think it was obnoxious. I don't know. It seems most ppl these days just want to grab a GC or put money in an envelope. I think when the kids are older that is great....but I still love my kids getting toys. :)

I'm not sure that was helpful! lol! Who knows...if you do it, you might just start a new trend for gift giving!:D

Tacky. If I want to know what someone wants for a birthday, I ask. If someone wants to know what my child wants, I tell them. If I don't know the person well enough to call and ask, then I probably won't be attending the party. :) I am really not into throwing huge parties though.

I find it abhorrent.

I am planning my soon-to-be-12 year old's party right now and have already been asked about gifts by a couple of moms. I get this every year, and my standard (and accurate) response is, "She would love anything [insert birthday guest's name here] picks out for her. And even though she loves them and is thrilled to get them, she is allergic to most perfumes such as those in products from Bath & Body Works." I only include the Bath & Body Works disclaimer because the products are popular around here, and I don't want the guest to feel hurt when it comes up in conversation that my daughter is allergic to perfume.

We have fun hosting the party; I want each guest to have fun picking out a gift she thinks my daughter/her friend would like. Giving a list takes away that joy for the friends. The birthday gifts are not about what my child needs; I provide what she needs. They are about what her friends want to give her.

Terri

If my mom says what do the kids want for their birthdays and I say, I'll forward you their Amazon wishlist - I don't have a problem with that.

To receive a birthday party invitation saying that a child is registered at such and such store - very tacky IMO.

:iagree: This. Exactly this.

:iagree:

I live in a small town. There is one place to shop for toys. They have a gift registry, and when we go to buy a birthday present, I do check to see if the child is registered. (You can tell because they have the first names written up on a white board.) It reduces the chance that all 5 invited kids will pick the same toy from the smallish selection.

I like that.

On the other hand, I have never had an invitation include the registry information. I would find that rude.

I would only share the registry list with those who ask "what kind of gift would kiddo enjoy? " There is a store here that lets families fill a box with items they sell that "kiddo" would enjoy receiving. When I ask for gift suggestions, and am told "we have a box at that store", I am all over that ! I only have to go in, make a selection from the box, pay for it, they gift wrap it for free, all done, yay ! I totally appreciate that the parents took the time to do that to make it so easy to pick out a gift. I would not include the registry info in invitations though - I would only offer it as an option to those who ask for gift suggestions.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Temporary parental insanity. I would never, ever recommend that someone do that. If I received an invitation that had a registry, I would totally ignore any information on it and buy something that I know children like, 'cuz I'm just like that.:D

Parents buy their children the things that their children really want. It is rude to put that kind of expectation on people invited to a child's birthday party, for heaven's sake.

I am going to make one for dd for her birthday/christmas just for familiy, she is the youngest of all the grandchildren on both sides and by nearly 10 years on my husband's side so the ideas help there. My mom has two others a few months older than dd but she usually buys things they need like clothes and shoes, where with dd she knows that all clothing and shoes are already taken care of. There are of course uncles, aunts and cousins who have no idea what to get for a little girl so the registry helps them alot too.

We have been invited to one party where the child had a wishlist on Amazon. He told all the kids about it because he felt so grown up (he was turning 7) having his own list. The mom took us all aside privately and let us know that 90% of the list was ridiculous or aimed at g-parents, and told us about the 10% that was reasonable. I thought it was fine, and actually really helpful because he is a huge Star Wars fan and listed out the pieces that he didn't already have.

My kids love Lalaloopsy dolls and we have several of them (okay 7) and DD3's b-day party is on Saturday and I have already had a couple friends ask me for a list of the ones we already have so they don't duplicate.

I would only share the registry list with those who ask "what kind of gift would kiddo enjoy? " There is a store here that lets families fill a box with items they sell that "kiddo" would enjoy receiving. When I ask for gift suggestions, and am told "we have a box at that store", I am all over that ! I only have to go in, make a selection from the box, pay for it, they gift wrap it for free, all done, yay ! I totally appreciate that the parents took the time to do that to make it so easy to pick out a gift. I would not include the registry info in invitations though - I would only offer it as an option to those who ask for gift suggestions.

I could see doing this, and only mentioning it to those that specifically ask what the birthday child wants. There is a teacher store/toy store that does this. BUt I would never ever include the details of it with an invitation, too tacky.

I find it abhorrent.

I am planning my soon-to-be-12 year old's party right now and have already been asked about gifts by a couple of moms. I get this every year, and my standard (and accurate) response is, "She would love anything [insert birthday guest's name here] picks out for her. And even though she loves them and is thrilled to get them, she is allergic to most perfumes such as those in products from Bath & Body Works." I only include the Bath & Body Works disclaimer because the products are popular around here, and I don't want the guest to feel hurt when it comes up in conversation that my daughter is allergic to perfume.

We have fun hosting the party; I want each guest to have fun picking out a gift she thinks my daughter/her friend would like. Giving a list takes away that joy for the friends. The birthday gifts are not about what my child needs; I provide what she needs. They are about what her friends want to give her.

Terri

:cheers2: :thumbup: :iagree:

Thank you for all your thoughts on this! I was intentionally vague on the original post because I didn't want to color the discussion with my opinion (which is - definite parental insanity and in this family's case it may not be temporary). This is actually a birthday party for my nephew. But yes registry info is going out unsolicited to everyone invited.

I do use Amazon wish lists that I maintain for my kids that I occasionally refer relatives to IF THEY ASK. I also keep a book list up there for them. I can see definitely the small town example just seeing if a child had a list at the only local store.

The other odd thing is they're physically taking the now 4 year old to Target to register with the scan gun. That just seems like a bad idea on many levels to me. I kind of feel kid birthdays are a good opportunity to learn gratitude for my own kids (and we don't always do the full blown out gift parties anyway). I know my own kids love picking out gifts for other kids including their cousins. My brother's family has always seemed overly materialistic and self involved to me, but I honestly wanted to know if this was the new normal somewhere outside of my own piece of the world. This is also a family that regularly disregards my kids birthdays. :glare:

It is ALWAYS rude to assume that you will get a gift. That takes many forms - asking for cash in the invitation, including a registry card, etc. Anything that shows that you assume you will be given a gift or shows that you are asking for a specific gift is rude.

I would not like it at all. For weddings with potentially hundreds of gifts, fine. But not for a child's b'day.

But I do love getting a specific suggestion from a parent when I ask, especially if it's something like a cd that I can order on Amazon.

Maybe one of those Amazon wish lists as a compromise? (with the majority of items being less expensive than what people might normally give)