Menu

DS 11 just doesn't get it

Moxie

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Simple facts:

X amount of school work needs to be done each day.

If you sit down and do X amount of work, then you get to play.

If you stare out the window, go to the bathroom 100 times, chat about the weather, fart around all morning, X amount of work will still be waiting for you while everyone else is playing.

This kid is smart but he just doesn't get it!!

<sigh> Right there with you. Kid is smart as a whip. And routinely takes double the time to complete his work than he should.

I'm blaming hormones (erm, his; certainly not mine :tongue_smilie:).

Yesterday my ds5 told his older brother to sit down, stop whining, and do his work so they can play legos.

Just a thought, is the curriculum appropriate to his learning style? Visual learners are notorious for doing that when given materials suited to auditory learners. Give them materials more suited to their learning style and the problem goes away since they are more willing to engage.

Ok do tell what programs you are finding to work with a VSL?

<sigh> Right there with you. Kid is smart as a whip. And routinely takes double the time to complete his work than he should.

I'm blaming hormones (erm, his; certainly not mine :tongue_smilie:).

Yesterday my ds5 told his older brother to sit down, stop whining, and do his work so they can play legos.

:D

My ds (10) and I just had this discussion this morning.

Those 5 math questions should take 5-10 minutes, not 30+. Just make the numbers normally, without embellishment, please :confused:

If you type with one only hand, with your other under your head and you are sprawled across the desk, of course you're not going to be able to type quickly.:001_huh:

oh my, you must have my VSL son, we have the same issue here almost every single day :grouphug:. There's no screen time here until all the work is completed, which motivates him pretty well. I have a cut off time if he goes past it, no screen time, but there's plenty of time to complete everything.

Edited by Moniksca

We are finally at the tale end of those types of problems with dd12. Things I did that helped :

*trying to customize her education closely to her learning style (VSL).

*getting her more involved in taking ownership of her education.

*establishing clear expectations that were established with her input.

*doing away with punishments and consequences and allowing her to deal with the natural repercussions of not staying on top of her work.

*I stopped fighting with her and stopped nagging her.

It took a long time and it did get REALLY bad before it started getting better. She is still a procrastinator and she still has a hard time staying focused on certain things but it is all on her to make adjustments and get caught up if she doesn't complete xyz by her deadline. I'm not the enforcer anymore - she is.

Have you tried breaking down his work into smaller chunks with rewards? I used to tell my kids that when they got 1-2 subjects done, they would get a 10-15 min. break. To earn recess, they had to get 3 subjects done. In the afternoon, I did something similar, earn a small break, then computer or Wii time after everything was done. They got bonus time for getting everything done by supper.

My 11 year old son would be the same way if I didn't sit next to him while he does his school work. I have to constantly redirect him back to the work that needs to be done.

:iagree:Same here. I have to give his sister busy work(she asks for it) or breaks for him to finish less work then her. He is dyslexic but that can't be blamed for everything.....:banghead:

We call him "Turtle" for a reason. I love my kid to pieces but he makes me CRAZY!