Menu

How do they get jobs???!

My boys, ages 20 and 18 have applied and applied and applied for jobs. Many places say they only accept on-line applications, but that seems so impersonal, i.e. easy to ignore. DS18 has even called a few places back a time or two to help show interest. DS20 has gone in 2 or 3 times to a Mexican Restaurant to talk with the managers in Spanish to show he knows the language. They sound interested, but they never call back. He's also applied at our CC, where he is taking classes, for tutoring Spanish and English.

It's frustrating to me when people tell me that at their ages they shouldn't be living at home rent-free, with the use of a vehicle (to get to school). They go on to say, "Just make them go out and get jobs!" They, as well as I, would LOVE it if it was that easy!!!

So, how do two guys who are eager to work, and don't know anyone that knows someone, get jobs these days???! :001_huh::glare:

Edited by Brindee

I'm sorry--nowadays it is SO hard for young adults to get a job, much less a good one. Are there any business owners you or your husband know? Anyone from your circle of friends who knows someone who knows someone?

The young adults I know ALL got jobs by knowing someone. These days, it's tough because so many qualified adults are now in the same pool, competing for the same jobs as our kids.

I think a lot of it is the economy still. DH looked for 18 months before he went back to school. I have been looking for the past 3 months with nothing yet. I hope they find something soon though. :)
I think you're right. But it's hard when my sister's daughter applied and got a job right away, so then they, and others, assume we aren't doing anything cuz my boys aren't getting jobs! :tongue_smilie:

Thank you, I hope you find a job soon too! :001_smile:

I'm sorry--nowadays it is SO hard for young adults to get a job, much less a good one. Are there any business owners you or your husband know? Anyone from your circle of friends who knows someone who knows someone?

The young adults I know ALL got jobs by knowing someone. These days, it's tough because so many qualified adults are now in the same pool, competing for the same jobs as our kids.

:iagree:, that's how a friend of theirs got a job. But there aren't any jobs left there.

The only one we knew who DEFINITELY would've helped them moved away a couple of years ago. So, that's what I'm saying, they don't know anyone who knows someone.... so they're trying from scratch. I wish we DID know someone!

:grouphug: ((Brindee)) I hope they find something soon. I agree with looking at friends that own businesses. You might check lawn companies, painters, or construction crews that might need added help in the summer. Do you have any seasonal places, like water parks or amusement parks, that might hire?

Do the online applications, but then also follow up with a personal letter and a copy of the resume or application, addressed to the correct person. Call ahead to find out who handles hiring.

And network network network with people that DO have jobs. Put the word out to everyone you know and are related to that they are looking. That is the best way to find a job.

I was sixteen at the end of the late 70s recession. It took me applying to over 50 places to get 1 interview. Luckily, I got that job. It was a branch of an existing chain that had opened about 6 months previously. Apparently, they had just started hiring again. From what I gathered from the personnel people*, a lot of folks don't work out in retail in about 4-5 months, so maybe that might be a tidbit that would help your boys. Don't be afraid to apply at places that have been open for less than a year. The business might be having its initial turnover and have openings.

*Heck, that's what we called them back then! ;)

:grouphug: ((Brindee)) I hope they find something soon. I agree with looking at friends that own businesses. You might check lawn companies, painters, or construction crews that might need added help in the summer. Do you have any seasonal places, like water parks or amusement parks, that might hire?
Thanks EL! :grouphug: back! :001_smile:

Water Park is over an hour drive away with horrible traffic conditions and a toll bridge to cross. :glare:

No friends that own businesses.:glare:

Checked lawn Companies. Nothing. :glare:

Construction....not sure anyone is really building around here. :glare:

Painting....Noone is painting right now :glare:, but maybe they could check into that for a bit in the summer? If they don't have jobs by then, then they will apply for that. They'd like more permanent jobs, of course, but I told them they probably need to just take what they can get to get their foot in the door, and get to know people!

I agree, it's so frustrating!! Our ds has been putting in applications for over a year, andstill nothing. Now honestly, I think he could be even more diligent about it, but he's put in way more time than I ever did trying to get a job at that age. It's really frustating to him too.
:grouphug: to you and him, and hopes for a job soon!

Do the online applications, but then also follow up with a personal letter and a copy of the resume or application, addressed to the correct person. Call ahead to find out who handles hiring.

And network network network with people that DO have jobs. Put the word out to everyone you know and are related to that they are looking. That is the best way to find a job.

They've been doing this with the places they've called back and gave letter & copy of the app. A few (3 or 4?) told them they ONLY accept on-line, no hard copy apps in person! :001_huh: So they can't go that route for those places.

They have a group of friends, and 2 of them now have jobs because, as a pp said, they know someone. But that someone isn't wanting to help everyone, just the one he knows.... DS18 has a friend he goes to classes with that said he'd bring him a number for a job he was sure he could get. We'll see....

Is there anything they can do that they can advertise out to the general public? Like painting, yardwork, moving furniture, help with packing, odd jobs? A few business cards and a few flyers (made up on the computer and printed out) might get the ball rolling for at least a little income on the side. You've heard of small businesses like "Two Guys and a Truck", right? Well, you've got at least Two Guys. I'd suggest making up one flyer for each type of work, so you don't end up with a big long list on one flyer which sort of makes your boys look as desperate as they probably are. Marketing!

I'm not familiar with your area or I could be more specific. I know that the government in a lot of areas is cracking down on little things like lemonade stands, but maybe your boys could look into what it would cost to do something like stand around an all-night place like a hospital or factory and 'resell' packaged subs or something the employees don't have available to them. One woman I worked with as a nurse on third shift made enough money to send her daughter on a semester abroad reselling packaged snacks of a kind not available in the hospital during her breaks. In fact, once she made the money and shut down shop she got complaints from her 'customers' and had to re-open. My own kids sold cold canned pop out of a cooler on a wagon to road workers one summer and did well.

If you can't find someone to hire you, then make your own job.

Networking and connections. Having experience of some kind is now critical for people looking for their first job. Significant volunteer and intern stuff is an option to get work experience and makes a difference to even entry level employers. And I am not talking like 2 hours a week. More like 10-20 hours a week, as though it is a serious part-time job. Many places find you a job if you have been volunteering and they like you or you meet a business owner who is involved with the community group that you are volunteering with. I helped a number of my old interns and volunteers find jobs in the last couple of years just because they had shown themselves very good workers and when I knew people were looking for employees I could say "Oh, you know who might be good for that..."

Workstudy on campus?

Americorps Vista/City Year Programs?

Day labor/temp to hire places?

Edited by kijipt

I was sixteen at the end of the late 70s recession. It took me applying to over 50 places to get 1 interview. Luckily, I got that job. It was a branch of an existing chain that had opened about 6 months previously. Apparently, they had just started hiring again. From what I gathered from the personnel people*, a lot of folks don't work out in retail in about 4-5 months, so maybe that might be a tidbit that would help your boys. Don't be afraid to apply at places that have been open for less than a year. The business might be having its initial turnover and have openings.

*Heck, that's what we called them back then! ;)

That's a good tip, thank you! We do have a place that just opened that somehow we missed getting in on the application process until it was too late. I'll tell them to try again in a couple of months!

When I was a teenager I applied to Mc Donald's and got the job. It wasn't hard.... But even the fast food places are not calling back or hiring.

Have them either sit up at a union hall (for road crew) or have them go to a temp service where they can get a factory or warehouse job. Many places are hiring from temp agencies, so they can try the worker out. Another option would be to have them go get a HMO/CDL and then look for work.
I've never heard of sitting at a union hall. What do they do to do this? (That's very poor grammar, sorry!)

What is/are HMO/CDL?

Yes, Temp. agencies. I believe ds20 signed up at one? I'll need to check on that, thank you!

Temp agencies are wonderful for either being a potential perm hire, as well as just gaining experience in various areas. My husband would go to them whenever a place closed and work that until another perm hire. It added to his resume and actually made it easier for him to get jobs, because 1) he never was without work and 2) because of the experience.

If union halls are running right now for road construction they may work one of two ways: 1) fill out an application to go to school in order to work on a road crew or 2) they may have him sit up there until they need someone for the day/week/month and then send him out. At first, he could end up sitting up there for weeks before getting a position, but in the end, it could be worth it.

Networking is so important. My ds's first job was being in the right place at the right time with a resume filled with volunteer and academic accomplishments. He was dressed in khakis and a polo. My son said so many come in in shorts or jeans, just ragged clothes.

The next one was based on knowing someone. Then yesterday he walked into a bookstore and someone recognized him from his work. They thought he was so nice and professional and said we want to hire you.

In Michigan, there are very, very few jobs..virtually none, for teens and twenty somethings that haven't finished a degree or vocational training at a tech school. The unemployement/underemployement rate is so high that experienced workers with oodles of training are applying for the jobs that unskilled, young laborers used to do.

My nearly 21 year old lives here and we wouldn't have it any other way. She's a medic and could definitely afford an efficiency apartment alone or something a little bigger with a roommate. But, if she stays here, she can save money to finish her B.S. in Emergency Medical Management and we feel it's important to help her do that. She pays for her cell phone, all of her gas, $50.00 a month towards car insurance, and since she has excellent medical/dental/optical insurance through work for a very reasonable price, she pays $60.00 a month for that and she's good about saving a large portion of each paycheck. I would never charge her rent because it would seriously reduce her savings. She's determined to get through school without student loans.

It's tough! Young people have a very hostile job market to navigate.

Faith

Some of the work my teens have done is seasonal- summer camp counseling, dry walling, interior and exterior painting, lawn care, etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

Is there anything they can do that they can advertise out to the general public? Like painting, yardwork, moving furniture, help with packing, odd jobs? A few business cards and a few flyers (made up on the computer and printed out) might get the ball rolling for at least a little income on the side. You've heard of small businesses like "Two Guys and a Truck", right? Well, you've got at least Two Guys. I'd suggest making up one flyer for each type of work, so you don't end up with a big long list on one flyer which sort of makes your boys look as desperate as they probably are. Marketing!

I'm not familiar with your area or I could be more specific. I know that the government in a lot of areas is cracking down on little things like lemonade stands, but maybe your boys could look into what it would cost to do something like stand around an all-night place like a hospital or factory and 'resell' packaged subs or something the employees don't have available to them. One woman I worked with as a nurse on third shift made enough money to send her daughter on a semester abroad reselling packaged snacks of a kind not available in the hospital during her breaks. In fact, once she made the money and shut down shop she got complaints from her 'customers' and had to re-open. My own kids sold cold canned pop out of a cooler on a wagon to road workers one summer and did well.

If you can't find someone to hire you, then make your own job.

Good ideas!

Questions:

Do you have to have a food handlers license for things like that, I wonder? DO you have to have permission of the company (hospital or whichever place you go to) to sell food in their establishment?

They HAVE done yard work, helped neighbors, sold cookies/soda, etc. But they are looking for more steady work possibilities, since those things aren't panning out well. All 3 of my kids have helped some a couple of the neighbors (only ones who responded to flyers) with their dogs and with jobs that one lady is getting too weak (age) to do by herself anymore. But those are sporadic and they'd like to earn more.

They've all volunteered quite a bit, especially dd. Hopefully that'll help some employer at some time see the benefit of hiring them! :001_smile:

Networking and connections. Having experience of some kind is now critical for people looking for their first job. Significant volunteer and intern stuff is an option to get work experience and makes a difference to even entry level employers. And I am not talking like 2 hours a week. More like 10-20 hours a week, as though it is a serious part-time job. Many places find you a job if you have been volunteering and they like you or you meet a business owner who is involved with the community group that you are volunteering with. I helped a number of my old interns and volunteers find jobs in the last couple of years just because they had shown themselves very good workers and when I knew people were looking for employees I could say "Oh, you know who might be good for that..."

Workstudy on campus?

Americorps Vista/City Year Programs?

Day labor/temp to hire places?

They have done quite a bit of volunteering, so I'm hoping that will help!

Workstudy on the CC here is for those who need financial aid only. :glare: Since ds18 is doing the dual enrollment program, we are able to cover the costs of his books and ds20's tuition and books.

For a couple of reasons they cannot really do Americorps.

I think they do need to look into temp. agencies more! :001_smile:

It's pretty different than when I was a young adult, for sure. My sons know how to dress well and present themselves well. But there aren't that many jobs out there for them...when there is someone else with a connection to the owner or manager gets it.

But...as I keep telling the young man living in my house, if you can't find a job, create a business and put yourself to work.

So far, he's not listening. Sigh.

Good ideas!

Questions:

Do you have to have a food handlers license for things like that, I wonder? DO you have to have permission of the company (hospital or whichever place you go to) to sell food in their establishment?

I don't know about food handlers permit for packaged foods but yes, they need permission of the place they sell. If they are selling in public property they generally need a vendors licence, which is in many places easy and cheap to get (but in other places impossible).

At my husband's hospital, they don't let anyone except for hospital personnel, patients and visitors in to the building at all. Everyone has a photo badge on them at all times and all the entrances are guarded (it is a children's hospital and lots of custody issues go down). That said if someone sold better food than the vending machines, they would be rich. The hospital cafeteria closes early and hundreds and hundreds of people have 8-16 hour shifts where most of that time the cafeteria is closed.

My mom found her way back into the job market through temp jobs. That was a while ago, right after my brother and I finished school, and she is now "retired," but she enjoyed trying out different jobs and it was a good way for her to build up a work record after being out of the workforce to raise us.

She has a lot of interesting stories from just a few months of different temp jobs.

Oh my son filled out and put in 25+ apps in one week. That is all we did after school. I drove him around while he filled in apps and gave resumes. He dressed nice, too.
We did that one week too! :tongue_smilie: Makes for an interesting and busy week! :D

I agree, dressing well is much more impressive. DS 2 does well with that. DS18 has a hard time wearing anything but jeans:glare:, so we're working on that! :D

My mom found her way back into the job market through temp jobs. That was a while ago, right after my brother and I finished school, and she is now "retired," but she enjoyed trying out different jobs and it was a good way for her to build up a work record after being out of the workforce to raise us.

She has a lot of interesting stories from just a few months of different temp jobs.

Okay, that does it. I DEFINITELY need to make sure they apply at a temp. agency!!! They're in class all day today, and dd has her piano adjudication tomorrow, but I think we can fit in a visit to the temp. place after that! :001_smile:

In Michigan, there are very, very few jobs..virtually none, for teens and twenty somethings that haven't finished a degree or vocational training at a tech school. The unemployement/underemployement rate is so high that experienced workers with oodles of training are applying for the jobs that unskilled, young laborers used to do.

My husband has been laid off for 6 months now--due to downsizing and he only had 3 years in so he was "low man" and got laid off. Today he had an interview for a job that is well below him skill/education wise but would be a good fit for him as to interests/abilities. We are praying that this works out. Despite almost daily applications filled out on line (NO ONE will see you in person) this was only his 2nd interview.

At their ages, I would make getting a job THEIR job---spend lots of time a week on that and then spend the rest of their time on volunteering anywhere and everywhere that might benefit them in the future.

My nearly 21 year old lives here and we wouldn't have it any other way. She's a medic and could definitely afford an efficiency apartment alone or something a little bigger with a roommate. But, if she stays here, she can save money to finish her B.S. in Emergency Medical Management and we feel it's important to help her do that. She pays for her cell phone, all of her gas, $50.00 a month towards car insurance, and since she has excellent medical/dental/optical insurance through work for a very reasonable price, she pays $60.00 a month for that and she's good about saving a large portion of each paycheck. I would never charge her rent because it would seriously reduce her savings. She's determined to get through school without student loans.

It's tough! Young people have a very hostile job market to navigate.

Faith

Thank you for that! I like having my kids at home too, and think it can be a help for them to get going in life! It's so hard to get through school without being in debt, but it would be the very best thing if they can! I wish your dd the best!

Tell them to try and meet as many staff and board members of the orgs as possible and let people there know they are looking for work. People working for charities like to help people. :)
Oh yes, good idea! DD has one letter of recommendation, plus people in service organizations that she worked with on her large community service project that have told her they'll give her a job when she turns 18! :D Not sure they really will, but, because of her volunteering, she has a network to draw from!

The boys didn't do that as much, but I'll see if they can get some info. out to people we/they know.

My husband has been laid off for 6 months now--due to downsizing and he only had 3 years in so he was "low man" and got laid off. Today he had an interview for a job that is well below him skill/education wise but would be a good fit for him as to interests/abilities. We are praying that this works out. Despite almost daily applications filled out on line (NO ONE will see you in person) this was only his 2nd interview.

At their ages, I would make getting a job THEIR job---spend lots of time a week on that and then spend the rest of their time on volunteering anywhere and everywhere that might benefit them in the future.

Wow, I hope your dh gets this job!

It IS their job, they've gone and applied. I just spent mainly that one week driving them around to get them going. Then I encourage them now and then. Both boys really WANT jobs, so they're working on it...

Have they considered assistant living facilities or nursing homes? Group homes?

There is a huge turn over of workers in these jobs. They aren't the easiest jobs, but if you have a heart to help others they can be rewarding.

DS20, no. DS 18, yes. I am a care worker part time for a company, and LOVE it! DS18 is a people person, a very big heart, so would have done well! BUT, WA state just passed a law that, as of January 7 of this year, anyone doing those jobs has to have their CNA. :glare: Sigh. DS18 would help in those places as a job, but he doesn't want to be a CNA.

My dd19 started a serving job at a restaurant a few weeks ago. She had put in about a dozen applications and got her serving job because she knew someone who already worked there. The weird thing is that just after she accepted that position, she got a call from a retail store in the mall that she had applied to 4 month earlier! I advised her to say she was available for every shift though because that made her more accessible. She works most mornings, about 10am to 3pm. I'm sort of upset though because she told them she could work only 20 hours a week so it wouldn't interfere with her schoolwork, but they have her working 6 and 7 days a week so far. But she can't complain because it seems like all the servers are being scheduled that much. At least she's making pretty good money. The major downside is she has large blisters on her feet. That just bites.

My dd19 started a serving job at a restaurant a few weeks ago. She had put in about a dozen applications and got her serving job because she knew someone who already worked there. The weird thing is that just after she accepted that position, she got a call from a retail store in the mall that she had applied to 4 month earlier! I advised her to say she was available for every shift though because that made her more accessible. She works most mornings, about 10am to 3pm. I'm sort of upset though because she told them she could work only 20 hours a week so it wouldn't interfere with her schoolwork, but they have her working 6 and 7 days a week so far. But she can't complain because it seems like all the servers are being scheduled that much. At least she's making pretty good money. The major downside is she has large blisters on her feet. That just bites.

Yay, congratulations to your daughter! I hope her feet feel better soon!

That'd be nice to get a call back. DS18 actually did, but it was for training, then he was never called again. :glare:

They are in the worst-hit age group for jobs, I think. My dd was lucky to be hired at her first interview (Sears) when she was 16. She left them after a year to work closer, at our library - and they just upgraded their technology and cut back on workers. Last hired, first fired, so dd, now 18, is looking. I just told her of a local bank looking for a p/t teller....

CollegeMan had his first job last summer, age 19 - weeding and harvesting at a local farm for minimum wage. He did clear $2,000 over the summer. He says he will do it again this summer if nothing else turns up on campus (he has a work study job at the college library and is doing research for a professor during the school year.) Manual labor is fine - money is money. He got this job via ME - I had joined the farm co'op and on FB saw them mention that they might be hiring help for the summer. I immediately messaged them my kid's info. Some jobs it is simply sheer luck, and who you know. Oh, and he got the library job on campus after volunteering all though high school at the library. Every other freshman was stuck in food service.

A lot of local kids either have not found a job, or have only found short-term jobs.

Edited by JFSinIL

DS20, no. DS 18, yes. I am a care worker part time for a company, and LOVE it! DS18 is a people person, a very big heart, so would have done well! BUT, WA state just passed a law that, as of January 7 of this year, anyone doing those jobs has to have their CNA. :glare: Sigh. DS18 would help in those places as a job, but he doesn't want to be a CNA.

It takes basically no time in WA to become a CNA. Many people do it to have something they can work at in high school.

Do home health workers need to be CNAs? My SIL does that and I don't think she is a CNA. I am in WA State too, so hello!

My 16yo son decided he wanted a job last November. He knew someone his age who works part-time at JCPenney (about 10 miles away) and liked it there. With my husband's grudging approval, he applied online and heard back within a few days. He went to a group interview (almost 3 hours long!) and was hired! They said he answered the interview questions well, liked how organized he was (some of the other high-school kids didn't have their work permits with them), and liked how nicely he was dressed (tie, cardigan). He was hired as one of 70 "seasonal" hires, and had to agree to work every weekend through January. They said they would keep only 10 of those 70 workers after Christmas, and lo and behold he made the cut.

So, I'm just adding our personal experience about "temp" or "seasonal" work as a way to get your foot in the door! Best wishes to your sons! :001_smile:

~Laura

Geez, reading this thread is depressing. When I was 14, I was asked by an adult in my church to babysit for her, which I did until I was 16. Then, I walked into a KFC and applied and got a job the next day. A year later, decided to work for a department store, and again, just walked in, filled out an application, and was hired.

That was 1993. Times have certainly changed. :(

Geez, reading this thread is depressing. When I was 14, I was asked by an adult in my church to babysit for her, which I did until I was 16. Then, I walked into a KFC and applied and got a job the next day. A year later, decided to work for a department store, and again, just walked in, filled out an application, and was hired.

That was 1993. Times have certainly changed. :(

Yeah, I know! :( That's the same type of experiences I had. Never had a problem finding a job if I wanted one! (I did lots of babysitting at 13-15 too!)

It takes basically no time in WA to become a CNA. Many people do it to have something they can work at in high school.

Do home health workers need to be CNAs? My SIL does that and I don't think she is a CNA. I am in WA State too, so hello!

Hi! :D It may be a bit harder now since they've made the new law. Not sure about that though. He just doesn't want to go through the time and effort since it's not something he wants to do in the long-run. If we can find a shorter class, I may be able to convince him.

The law just took effect, so your SIL isn't required to do that. However, eventually she'll probably have to, as people won't want to hire her if she's not. They'll want the ones that ARE CNA's. I made it into the caregiving job before the law took effect, so I have my job now and am not a CNA. I plan to get it eventually though.

They are in the worst-hit age group for jobs, I think. My dd was lucky to be hired at her first interview (Sears) when she was 16. She left them after a year to work closer, at our library - and they just upgraded their technology and cut back on workers. Last hired, first fired, so dd, now 18, is looking. I just told her of a local bank looking for a p/t teller....

CollegeMan had his first job last summer, age 19 - weeding and harvesting at a local farm for minimum wage. He did clear $2,000 over the summer. He says he will do it again this summer if nothing else turns up on campus (he has a work study job at the college library and is doing research for a professor during the school year.) Manual labor is fine - money is money. He got this job via ME - I had joined the farm co'op and on FB saw them mention that they might be hiring help for the summer. I immediately messaged them my kid's info. Some jobs it is simply sheer luck, and who you know. Oh, and he got the library job on campus after volunteering all though high school at the library. Every other freshman was stuck in food service.

A lot of local kids either have not found a job, or have only found short-term jobs.

Aaargh, hope she finds a good job soon! She couldn't have known they'd lay her off. Too bad!

My DS20 wants a manual labor job. He actually likes those, and working more on his own, than people jobs. DS18 is a social bug, so prefers a job working with people a lot. So, at least maybe they won't be competing with each other for jobs! :001_smile:

How about a summer camp job where they live on-site? DS worked a christian camp in our area @ 16 and loved it. He is just sending in his application again to work there for the summer and is looking forward to it.
That's a possibility. DS18 and DD may be going on a mission trip in July, so that's right in the middle of summer camp! If he doesn't go, though, that may be a great idea! Not sure that ds20 would want to do that. I'll ask them though, thanks!

My 16yo son decided he wanted a job last November. He knew someone his age who works part-time at JCPenney (about 10 miles away) and liked it there. With my husband's grudging approval, he applied online and heard back within a few days. He went to a group interview (almost 3 hours long!) and was hired! They said he answered the interview questions well, liked how organized he was (some of the other high-school kids didn't have their work permits with them), and liked how nicely he was dressed (tie, cardigan). He was hired as one of 70 "seasonal" hires, and had to agree to work every weekend through January. They said they would keep only 10 of those 70 workers after Christmas, and lo and behold he made the cut.

So, I'm just adding our personal experience about "temp" or "seasonal" work as a way to get your foot in the door! Best wishes to your sons! :001_smile:

~Laura

That's great your ds made it! I just talked with ds20, and he said he would like to sign with a temp. agency and see if they can get him into a job. So he may take his brother and they'll sign up tomorrow! WooHoo! :D Not sure why we didn't do this before? I think we thought they'd be able to get a local job.... :tongue_smilie: