Menu

What part of Disney World would you count as school?

I think that the Animal Kingdom is the equivalent of a field trip to the zoo.

Do you think it's a stretch to count Epcot as a school day? There is a lot of educational stuff there. ;)

We've had a tumultuous school year with moving, and now we are on our way to Disney this week. We're really going to be pushing for those 180 days this year. :glare:

Count it all - every day. Visiting a different place is as educational as anything else. If you saw what our schools sometimes count as educational days (movie days - NOT using educational movies either, party days, show off exhibits days) you wouldn't feel the least bit uncomfortable counting days traveling where kids actually do learn new things.

I'd even count travel days there and back. Kids learn a lot traveling, by car, plane, train, bus, whatever. Just make sure you're teaching them along the way (how to read schedules, maps, etc) and they'll learn more than some days at our b&m school's special days.

We also get to count field trip days...

I think you could also count Animal Kingdom. There are a lot of Cast Members there who will take the time to talk with you about the animals. They have a lot of skeletons out and you can play games and learn about them. The bird show there is incredible!

Also - in Epcot in the land pavilion, there is a ride called Living on the Land (I think). It has started a whole research project in our house on sustainable living. Also, in the Seas pavilion, on our last trip, they had a dolphin trainer out actually training three of the dolphins. She stayed after and talked with us and answered questions for 20 minutes or so. It could definitely have counted as school!

There are opportunities all over the place. Definitely call it school!!!

I'm thinking it might be harder at Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom. Maybe how movies are made? How TV shows are made? Take the Backlot tour and see American Idol and do a report on stunts or something. Beauty and Beast could be a "cultural experience". Don't kids take time off school to see plays? B and the B is VERY well done.

We counted the Animal Kingdom and Epcot days. We went to Epcot 2x during our trip. One we focused on the technology/science things, the next time on the countries-geography the kids did all of the Kidcot thing and got their mask stamped. We also went to the beach one day and I wrote it down as a field trip to follow up on our ocean study that we did prior to going. (We went to Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom too but those were just fun.) Enjoy your trip!

This is fun. My husband and I are trying to come up with more. He recommends asking the cast members about the countries they are from (they will be listed on their name badges). Interview skills. Learning about different countries.

He also recommends doing a fairy tale study before you leave. Do the different versions of Snow White, Cinderella, Rapunzel, etc. Compare them to the Disney versions. That could definitely count!!!

ALL OF IT! :D

My oldest LOVES drawing and could spend the entire day at Hollywood Studios in the Animation Academy learning to draw the characters.

He also loves the Walt Disney: One Man's Dream where the history of Walt Disney is given through a museum and movie.

The Backlot Tour and Lights, Motor's, Action fits in nicely with my 14 year old's dream to do some computer graphics for a set someday.

Epcot is a given, however, my oldest cares more about how they got Soarin' to work than the countries. He spent quite a bit of time studying the designer of that ride and how he came up with the idea (turns out it was from Erector sets!) :D

Animal Kingdom is a learning experience all by itself. Take the Wildlife Express train ride back to the Conservation Station where CMs will explain all sorts of things about wildlife to them. That is often missed by people.

The entire place is full of learning!

Dawn

You should count it all. There is a lot to talk about business wise. The planning element of the parks is usually on display someplace. The landing strip Walt built to visit the parks is still there but not used. The inclusion of more (food plans, magical express, etc.) And the addition of things like the cruise line and vacation club.

There are also lots of hidden Mickey's to spot. It fun plus a really amazing look at theme.

At the studios talk about the how to of animation. There was an exhibit near the little mermaid. Also how do they... for movie making and stunts.

Have a great time!

I've totally counted Epcot as a field trip day! :) Spend $10 on the kids' passport (looks like a real passport, includes color photo stickers of each country) and have them stamp and write in your passport at each Kidcot stop. Chat with the "youth ambassadors" at each station. Ask them to write the name of their hometown in the passport on their country page so you can look it up later.

Have a fabulous time! :o)

PS- Take the Backlot tour at Hollywood Studios, and I'd count that too! :) And go through the "One Man's Dream" exhibit -- another field trip. The Great Movie Ride can be cultural literacy. ;)

There are some educational activities at Hollywood Studios too! Make sure you take the animation class. It's open to everyone and taught by Disney animators. They will teach you to draw one of the Disney characters (we drew Genie). It's only about 30 minutes long, but WELL worth it! Plus, you get a free souvenir to take home, and there aren't many of those at Disney :001_smile: There is also a whole building on the history of animation that I thought was pretty interesting.

Edited by mandymom

As PPs have said, definitely Animal Kingdom and Epcot. For Epcot, I bought the boys passports specific to Epcot ($10 each) and we went to each country and had their passports stamped. The CM's that work in the countries are from the country they are from. The boys loved this. They also have the craft table at each country (I think it's to color Duffy on a stick), but we would not have gotten through all the countries in a day if we had done that. We did do 2 Kim Possible Missions there though. The one for Germany was great! The one for Norway was just ok.

It took us a second day to make it through Future World at Epcot. There is a ride about Energy and Land of the Living. There are lots of educational things in Innovations East and West (hope I got that right) about hurricanes, fire safety, etc. Definitely check that out.

Most of all, have a great time.

Count it all - every day. Visiting a different place is as educational as anything else. If you saw what our schools sometimes count as educational days (movie days - NOT using educational movies either, party days, show off exhibits days) you wouldn't feel the least bit uncomfortable counting days traveling where kids actually do learn new things.

I'd even count travel days there and back. Kids learn a lot traveling, by car, plane, train, bus, whatever. Just make sure you're teaching them along the way (how to read schedules, maps, etc) and they'll learn more than some days at our b&m school's special days.

I agree!! Everything about Disney is educational!! Count all the days! I know I would!

I would most certainly count Epcot and AK, especially with the age of your children... travel days as well. Maybe add an audio book for at the hotel during family cool down time, pull that time too!

I think that with the links you have been provided you can find quite a bit to include in the other parks. I would like to add to them, we had each of my two children plan course at parks. They had the map, had to take us to things they wanted to see and in a time window, I think I gave them three hours. It was a great experience for both the seven and nine year old, in planning, map reading, and evaluating their results.

However, MOST IMPORTANT... have a GREAT time!

I'd even count the magic Kingdom. Go in the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. You'll learn about survival. Also in fantasyland you can learn about the construction of new rides. You'll also be learning character traits such as patience while waiting in lines. You can teach nutrition when ordering your food. Go over to Tom Sawyers Island and you'll get a little history lesson about forts and mining.

... Go in the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. You'll learn about survival. ...

Okay, lol, I love Disney and have no problem counting a day of Disney as a field trip day for school, but this particular point seems like it's stretching it more than just a little. ;) It's a little like saying the Peter Pan ride is good for learning about the dynamics of flight. ;)

You know, nearly every time we're there, we see school groups in all of the parks, not just EPCOT. There's so much to absorb everywhere.

I remember one time when my big kids were about 6 and 4, we were at the TCC and one of the monorails was being repaired/maintained. My DH noticed what they were doing, it was late at night, and we went to the other end of the platform to watch. Wow, what an interesting 20 minutes that was! Part of the side plate was open, and they were changing tires inside. There were several tires going in different directions to "hug" the monorail track. My DS was totally fascinated. We all were. You just never know where something like that is going to pop up at Disney. :D

Have a great time!

:iagree:

Every.single.part. It's "social studies" if nothing else. :D

I wouldn't worry about it for a nanosecond. If I had to count days, I'd happily count Disney World or Disneyland as a school day, with no qualms whatsoever.

ETA: Pauline's PA site says you don't have to prove 180 days. She has a link for an attendance calendar which she says is most popular (book list + attendance calendar). Were I in your shoes, I'd use that attendance calendar and check off 180 days, including the ones spent at Disney World, but that's just me. :-)

Edited by Ellie

ETA: Pauline's PA site says you don't have to prove 180 days. She has a link for an attendance calendar which she says is most popular (book list + attendance calendar). Were I in your shoes, I'd use that attendance calendar and check off 180 days, including the ones spent at Disney World, but that's just me. :-)

On our calendars we just list field trip days as "Field Trip" and where it was. Mine were never questioned and we counted pretty much every single day of vacations to anywhere we went (not counting visiting relatives). The last year my kids were in ps we took a month off to visit HI and the school was fine counting those days as excused absences. It was kind of the start to our homeschooling.

Ok, then how about this for MK.

Animatronics

Hall of Presidents

Pirates of the Caribbean

Carrousel of Progress

(hey count two of those for History as well.)

Tom Sawyer's Island as Literature field trip

Liberty Square River Boat can go in there too

Oh, and Splash Mountain after a few stories of Uncle Remus

And if you really feel guilty about all of this, have the child take pictures of everything and journal about each area.

Dawn

Okay, lol, I love Disney and have no problem counting a day of Disney as a field trip day for school, but this particular point seems like it's stretching it more than just a little. ;) It's a little like saying the Peter Pan ride is good for learning about the dynamics of flight. ;)

I would count it. Schools count days they hold pep rallies, watch movies in class, days they take fun fieldtrips, hold field day, host assemblies about selling various useless products as a fundraiser, etc. I have no qualms about counting something like a trip, and I believe it is educational anyway. All of it.

Edited by Momof3littles

totally this.

and don't forget you MUST TEACH SOCIALIZATION to your unsocialized, locked in the closet children.

To us life is school and school is life.

also math, budgeting for buying food and junk.

Every single bit of it counts.

Seriously: life skills, budgeting, social skills, people movement (getting from a to b in and out of the park), all the fascinating things the kids are told about animals, cultures, countries, climate, etc.

When I was in 8th grade (a thousand years ago), one day in some insipid home ec class, the husband and wife who owned the 'only' clothing store in town for jr high and high school aged girls, came to class with their 'spring line' and showed us each and every piece of clothing in it -- clothing only available at their store.

If that counts, then epcot and disney count 100 times as much as that.

Have a great trip. :001_smile:

ALL OF IT! :D

My oldest LOVES drawing and could spend the entire day at Hollywood Studios in the Animation Academy learning to draw the characters.

He also loves the Walt Disney: One Man's Dream where the history of Walt Disney is given through a museum and movie.

The Backlot Tour and Lights, Motor's, Action fits in nicely with my 14 year old's dream to do some computer graphics for a set someday.

Epcot is a given, however, my oldest cares more about how they got Soarin' to work than the countries. He spent quite a bit of time studying the designer of that ride and how he came up with the idea (turns out it was from Erector sets!) :D

Animal Kingdom is a learning experience all by itself. Take the Wildlife Express train ride back to the Conservation Station where CMs will explain all sorts of things about wildlife to them. That is often missed by people.

The entire place is full of learning!

Dawn

:iagree:

We count all of it.

They can practice math: have them help you figure out the change from the snack vendors, how many people are riding the Dumbo ride if each car holds 2 and there are 12 cars, etc...

Talk about the science of fire works, the steam engines, gravity and roller coasters.

Use Disney themed spelling words. Have them write reports on something they saw or learned.

And, of course, the Hall of Presidents.

Lots and lots of creative ways to "school" at Disney World!