Menu

s/o Babysitters and rides

For those who believe it is the responsibility of the parents needing the sitter to provide the teenage sitter with a ride - why? Just curious. I saw the replies but most weren't accompanied with an explanation.

I've never before heard of employers being responsible for providing transportation to and from work for their (paid) employees.

(this isn't referring to those who CHOOSE to give their sitters rides; I know sometimes I have no problem helping out in that arena, but it isn't constant nor do I believe it's my responsibility. Before this sitter, we had always hired adults who had their own car; now our sitter has her mom drive and we sometimes take her home).

ETA: I didn't mean for this to turn into a "day home -vs- private babysitter: why should one get paid more than the other" debate. I was just wondering about rides...

Edited by AimeeM

I said that IME driving was usually split. But, here are some possible reasons:

1. Sitters earn typically earn less than minimum wage.

2. Parents paying a sitter are not typical employers-they are not reporting wages, taking out FICA, etc.

3. Decent sitters can be in high demand.

Therefore, it is partly a paying job and partly a favor done for the parents.

I said that IME driving was usually split. But, here are some possible reasons:

1. Sitters earn typically earn less than minimum wage.

2. Parents paying a sitter are not typical employers-they are not reporting wages, taking out FICA, etc.

3. Decent sitters can be in high demand.

Therefore, it is partly a paying job and partly a favor done for the parents.

Ah. We pay our sitter $12 an hour. Well above min wage. Frankly, I've had adults willing to take the job for much less (but it's fair, going rate for a good sitter). I've never head of a sitter being paid much less than $10 an hour these days.

Here, with the economy, there are many, many good sitters to choose from.

Perhaps *geographics* come into play on this one.

Well, a lot of times we are using someone younger than 16 and their parents don't want to drive them. So, we can either go get them or not have a babysitter. :tongue_smilie: Sometimes, their parents are able to drop them off at our house, but if DH and I are going to a late movie and getting home at 1am, I don't expect their parents to stay awake and get out in the middle of the night.

Well, a lot of times we are using someone younger than 16 and their parents don't want to drive them. So, we can either go get them or not have a babysitter. :tongue_smilie: Sometimes, their parents are able to drop them off at our house, but if DH and I are going to a late movie and getting home at 1am, I don't expect their parents to stay awake and get out in the middle of the night.

:iagree:

Ah. We pay our sitter $12 an hour. Well above min wage. Frankly, I've had adults willing to take the job for much less (but it's fair, going rate for a good sitter). I've never head of a sitter being paid much less than $10 an hour these days.

When I looked for a sitter in the past the going rate was close to double min. wage, and where I live I think min. wage was at the time 9.50 an hour.

When I looked for a sitter in the past the going rate was close to double min. wage, and where I live I think min. wage was at the time 9.50 an hour.

Exactly. Most sitters (here) make a very decent amount. I guess I see this as a typical employer/employee situation and I've never heard of employers being responsible for transportation.

It seems to be different everywhere though. There is no shortage of sitters here and most people would very willingly take $12.

When I babysat as a teenager, I didn't have a license. The other parents always picked me up and dropped me off. I am the oldest of many, and since all my sibs were younger than me, there was no way my parents could commit to taking me to and from babysitting jobs. Nor would I have wanted them to; they got kinda grumpy late at night.

As a young adult (in my twenties), I lived in a big city and didn't have a car. I commuted to school by bus. I occasionally babysat for my graduate advisor, who lived out in the suburbs. We'd leave school together, and she'd drive us to her house. Her husband would drive me home. Public transportation wouldn't have worked in that situation, so if they wanted me, they needed to provide transportation.

I honestly struggle w/what the 'going rate' is for sitters.

Maybe b/c I ran a dayhome, and worked out that I made about $1.75/hr once all was said and done.

There's no WAY a parent would pay a dayhome provider $9+, and yet, w/out the dayhome, they wouldn't be able to work.

Yet, for entertainment purposes, folks are willing to pay $$$.

Just always seemed wrong to me, somehow. A dayhome provider is with the kids for 8-12 hrs a day, you'd think that they'd deserve to be pd better than a teen who is there for a short period of time.

Esp when a licenced dayhome (which I was) is required to have first aid, CPR, provide balanced meals, activities, home inspection, receipts, etc.

Maybe b/c I ran a dayhome, and worked out that I made about $1.75/hr once all was said and done.

There's no WAY a parent would pay a dayhome provider $9+, and yet, w/out the dayhome, they wouldn't be able to work.

Just always seemed wrong to me, somehow. A dayhome provider is with the kids for 8-12 hrs a day, you'd think that they'd deserve to be pd better than a teen who is there for a short period of time.

Esp when a licenced dayhome (which I was) is required to have first aid, CPR, provide balanced meals, activities, home inspection, receipts, etc.

I only had one babysitter outside of family and I always paid more because I didn't use her with any regularity. I only used her every few months. I didn't know how often she was getting work elsewhere so I would pay well for when I did need her so she would want to come back.

I was alway driven as a teen under 16 when I babysat.

I think for me if I was hiring a teen I would pick them up.

Then I can get them when it time without worrying about somebody else running late. And at the end I can take them home without waiting for parents to come and get them while we all sit around waiting for them.

Some of my jobs were 30 minutes away and that is a long round trip for parents with other active kids. I know had my mom had to drive me to sitting jobs I wouldn't have had as many.

I never got that either.

For the sake of debate (lol).

I pay $12 an hour because the sitter sits in MY home. The same cannot be said for a day home provider.

Also, I require that my sitter does not bring her own children (this usually results in single sitters); which means her attention is solely on my children... not multiples. If I want a personal sitter (which is what I pay for), I do not want my child in a multiple child setting with group activities.

In my home, my rules and discipline preferences reign. In a day home situation, there are typically day care like rules.

I wouldn't pay as much for day home care because I'm not, in my opinion, receiving the type of care I prefer.

Wow...$12 an hour? I would gladly take the job, as would my 14 year old dd. Here, sitters that are her age, typically make $5-$6 per hour...sometimes more if there are multiple kids.

Wow...$12 an hour? I would gladly take the job, as would my 14 year old dd. Here, sitters that are her age, typically make $5-$6 per hour...sometimes more if there are multiple kids.

It seems to depend on the area.

We pay that much but this is the first time we've hired a teen; and only because I knew the mother and felt comfortable with the teen ahead of time (and she had her own ride; other than the handful of times she's needed us to give her one and, since it isn't all the time, we have no problem doing it).

The parents going out are the ones who need a sitter, they are asking a sitter who can't drive, and the other parents have their own lives and their own plans. It never occurred to me to expect the other parents to get their child to me when I was the one in need of sitting.

But if I had wanted that and really didn't want to have to drive, I either would hire a teenager with a license and a car or I would talk to the sitter and her parent about it and agree ahead of time. But I would expect to pay more, and I would expect to not always get the sitter I liked.

I had one sitter I particularly trusted, who was good with my children, great with my dog, and never one to text and make phone calls while sitting. I wanted to have her - not just anyone - so I made it easy by driving her and I paid her well. Eventually everyone found out how awesome she was and she was in great demand. I think parents were more than happy to provide their own transportation. These days, there are soooo many girls who don't seem really interested in doing a good job sitting. I find by 14 or 15, many girls have lost interest, and to me, that is the minimum age to babysit. I never trusted 12 year olds to sit.

The parents going out are the ones who need a sitter, they are asking a sitter who can't drive, and the other parents have their own lives and their own plans. It never occurred to me to expect the other parents to get their child to me when I was the one in need of sitting.

But if I had wanted that and really didn't want to have to drive, I either would hire a teenager with a license and a car or I would talk to the sitter and her parent about it and agree ahead of time. But I would expect to pay more, and I would expect to not always get the sitter I liked.

I had one sitter I particularly trusted, who was good with my children, great with my dog, and never one to text and make phone calls while sitting. I wanted to have her - not just anyone - so I made it easy by driving her and I paid her well. Eventually everyone found out how awesome she was and she was in great demand. I think parents were more than happy to provide their own transportation. These days, there are soooo many girls who don't seem really interested in doing a good job sitting. I find by 14 or 15, many girls have lost interest, and to me, that is the minimum age to babysit. I never trusted 12 year olds to sit.

I guess I see it differently. I'm not asking a favor - I'm paying for a job to be done. Lol.

This seems like one of the situations where you can be 'right' (to you) or you can be a person who has a babysitter. If the sitter you want needs a ride then you provide it. (general "you", not OP.)

Our babysitter is a friend's daughter. Friend provides one ride, we provide the other. It just seems to work out. Sometimes friend provides both, sometimes we do. It is worth it to us.

This was usually the case for our sitters.

We had one sitter, her full time job was a nanny. We paid her more because she was an adult with more experience, but we rarely used her because of the price.

I have no idea what sitters in our area earn now, but no way would I pay a teen 12.00 an hour for babysitting. I think 5-6.00/hour would be more applicable to our area.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

A little off topic, but you hit on my biggest pet peeve. I hate listening to people (especially friends and family of mine- who are well-off) complain about the cost of childcare. And preschool. It's the one thing that people should be willing to pay top dollar for and it's the one thing that they won't. These are the people that are caring for your children. I certainly wouldn't watch kids for the prices they want to pay.

On topic- I just voted for what seems to be the norm around here. We almost always use family- and we drop the kids off at their house, so it's not really an issue for us. If I had a particular sitter that I wanted, I'd do what it took to get him or her!

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

A little off topic' date=' but you hit on my biggest pet peeve. I hate listening to people (especially friends and family of mine- who are well-off) complain about the cost of childcare. And preschool. It's the one thing that people should be willing to pay top dollar for and it's the one thing that they won't. These are the people that are caring for your children. I certainly wouldn't watch kids for the prices they want to pay.

On topic- I just voted for what seems to be the norm around here. We almost always use family- and we drop the kids off at their house, so it's not really an issue for us. If I had a particular sitter that I wanted, I'd do what it took to get him or her![/quote']

Group child care is not the same as private, individual care. I'm not sure how the two can be compared.

Edited by AimeeM

Group child care is not the same as private care. I'm not sure how the two can be compared.

First off, they're still caring for your children. Wouldn't you think that they deserve more than $1.75 an hr to mind your kids? Seriously?

For me, I minded ONE child. I had Tazzie who was a baby, and accepted a child 6 wks older than him. Period. Once in a blue moon I had a call for a fill in for another provider who was sick, but I refused to have more than the 2 little ones b/c I was determined to provide the best care possible, and felt that more children wouldn't allow me to do that.

I still made $1.75/hr. Yes, I *could* have stuffed my home to the limit, but wouldn't do that. I take pride in what I did, and know it was the kind of care that *I* would have wanted for my children.

I was licenced, certified, inspected, crim and child welfare check passed, my home inspected, unannounced inspections...

You're right, it doesn't compare to a teen. A dayhome should be paid far more.

In the rare instance we have a sitter, we pay $12-$14 per hour (4 kids). We exclusively use college students, so they all drive. If for some reason I was using a young teen, I would pay them less ($9-10 and hour) and pick them up. BUT, I don't every anticipate using anyone under the age of 18.

$12 ish is the going rate here.

Group child care is not the same as private, individual care. I'm not sure how the two can be compared.

Oh, I think the two can be compared. Caring for children is caring for children. I actually think it's more important to have quality childcare on a daily basis than a once in awhile weekend evening. But I have friends and family that complain about the cost of both. it irritates me either way. In my opinion, you generally get what you pay for. The people that I'm listening to (ie, those in my social circles) don't skimp on paying for quality anywhere else in their lives- but they seem to have expectations that don't fit with what they want to pay.

First off, they're still caring for your children. Wouldn't you think that they deserve more than $1.75 an hr to mind your kids? Seriously?

For me, I minded ONE child. I had Tazzie who was a baby, and accepted a child 6 wks older than him. Period. Once in a blue moon I had a call for a fill in for another provider who was sick, but I refused to have more than the 2 little ones b/c I was determined to provide the best care possible, and felt that more children wouldn't allow me to do that.

I still made $1.75/hr. Yes, I *could* have stuffed my home to the limit, but wouldn't do that. I take pride in what I did, and know it was the kind of care that *I* would have wanted for my children.

I was licenced, certified, inspected, crim and child welfare check passed, my home inspected, unannounced inspections...

You're right, it doesn't compare to a teen. A dayhome should be paid far more.

I sincerely did NOT mean any offense.

I simply meant that for me and my family, I wanted individual care of only my children (not even the provider's children) and in my home.

I see that I hit a nerve and that wasn't my intention. We will leave it at that I do not think group care elsewhere, with other children (even if it is only the provider's children), is the same as private care in my own home. That doesn't mean I think less of it; simply that it isn't the same. I do not use child care centers (or day homes) for any reason, so I cannot comment on it being worth more than $1.75 an hour, realistically - as I have no knowledge of it other than that their own rules apply, it is in their home and not mine, and there are other children present - all of which are things I didn't personally want.

I think long term child care in general costs less to, perhaps, be competitive. If I paid a day home the same price as I pay a private sitter (long term; fulltime), it would cost far, far more than any top rate private school in the area - which means I would use them instead. KWIM?

Oh' date=' I think the two can be compared. Caring for children is caring for children. I actually think it's more important to have quality childcare on a daily basis than a once in awhile weekend evening. But I have friends and family that complain about the cost of both. it irritates me either way. In my opinion, you generally get what you pay for. The people that I'm listening to (ie, those in my social circles) don't skimp on paying for quality anywhere else in their lives- but they seem to have expectations that don't fit with what they want to pay.[/quote']

The care given isn't the same - it can't be. Not really. Private, one-on-one (or two on one with my two children to one sitter) cannot be compared to a multiple child facility. If it is important to me that my own rules and discipline procedure be followed, it is going to be important to me that child care be done in my own home, not elsewhere.

I'm not saying that good care can't be given either way, nor am I using "compare" as a word meaning one is better than the other - just that I can't see how the two types of care are really similar (ie able to be compared equally).

Also, as a stay at home mom, daily child care isn't necessary; a night out or help during appointments is all I need.

As I pointed out, if a day home charges the same as I pay my private sitter, I might as well put them in private school full time - it would be far more cost effective.

Edited by AimeeM

The care given isn't the same - it can't be. Not really. Private, one-on-one (or two on one with my two children to one sitter) cannot be compared to a multiple child facility. If it is important to me that my own rules and discipline procedure be followed, it is going to be important to me that child care be done in my own home, not elsewhere.

I'm not saying that good care can't be given either way - just that I can't see how the two types of care are really similar.

Also, as a stay at home mom, daily child care isn't necessary; a night out or help during appointments is all I need.

As I pointed out, if a day home charges the same as I pay my private sitter, I might as well put them in private school full time - it would be far more cost effective.

But if you put them in private school, they'd be with other kids and not in your home. And they sure as heck wouldn't be following your discipline procedures.

I understand what you're saying. I don't use daycare either. But I think that if you want your child well taken care of, you'd better be willing to pay for it. And people (in general) aren't. Or, as Impish noted, they're willing to pay high collar for childcare when they go out to dinner/movies/etc. But not when they go to work on a daily basis.

I think childcare is VERY valuable and few people could afford to pay what it's actually worth.

But if you put them in private school' date=' they'd be with other kids and not in your home. And they sure as heck wouldn't be following your discipline procedures.

I understand what you're saying. I don't use daycare either. But I think that if you want your child well taken care of, you'd better be willing to pay for it. And people (in general) aren't. Or, as Impish noted, they're willing to pay high collar for childcare when they go out to dinner/movies/etc. But not when they go to work on a daily basis.

I think childcare is VERY valuable and few people could afford to pay what it's actually worth.[/quote']

I was comparing prices; not comparing it to private home care. If I were looking comparatively at day homes -vs- private school, I would obviously choose the private school.

Also, you're comparing those who do not need or use daily child care to those who occasionally use a private, in home sitter.

I cannot be held accountable for what others do or do not pay their child care providers.

Also, if we say "child care is child care" we may also say "education is education"; yet most of us sacrifice to homeschool because we, on an individual basis, feel the benefits of a one on one education maybe outweigh that of a group centered education (among other reasons; which is why I said on an individual basis, lol).

Edited by AimeeM

Growing up, when I sat my dad would drop me off (and see where I was going to be) but the dad who needed the sitter had to drive me home. I do the same with my dd's - I will drop them off but it is the other parent's responsibility to get them back to me.

These are teens with no car, so they can't exactly drive themselves.

I was comparing prices; not comparing it to private home care. If I were looking comparatively at day homes -vs- private school, I would obviously choose the private school.

Also, you're comparing those who do not need or use daily child care to those who occasionally use a private, in home sitter.

I cannot be held accountable for what others do or do not pay their child care providers.

Also, if we say "child care is child care" we may also say "education is education"; yet most of us sacrifice to homeschool because we, on an individual basis, feel the benefits of a one on one education maybe outweigh that of a group centered education (among other reasons; which is why I said on an individual basis, lol).

No one is trying to hold you accountable for what other people pay their child care providers. :confused:

Personally, I agree with you- I do not think that the quality of an institutional education can be compared to the quality of a homeschooled education, but clearly there are those who do. But yes, I do think "education is education". People need to educate their children and they can choose how to do it. Homeschool, private school, public school, private tutors- the possibilities are endless. People must have child care- they can do it themselves, send their kids to a daycare, have a sitter come to their homes, trade with friends/family- the possibilities there are also endless. It's the quality of child care or education that I'm comparing here- saying that it's worth more than what people usually pay.

A car is a car- if it's a Ford or a Jaguar. People seem to want to pay for the Ford, but have Jaguar quality.

ETA: I read back through this and I'm not expressing myself well, but I'm really, really tired and just trying to make it to bedtime. (Dh is "playing" with the kids but it's still SO LOUD that it's not really restful.

Edited by T'smom

As a mom of teens who babysit:

1. As previously mentioned, the teen in question is usually too young to drive.

2. Babysitting is often scheduled on the spur of the moment rather than far in advance and as the only driver in my house with seven schedules to juggle, I can't be the only one responsible for getting my kids to their many babysitting jobs.

3. This is just something that is open to negotiation when hiring a sitter. The rules are just different, nothing more. It's a perk of that type of job.

4. That said, there are some people I'm happy to share the driving with. This includes the lady with twin toddlers and a preschooler. I usually drive one way because her littles are often asleep when she returns. Another is my oldest daughter's regular nanny job. The regular schedule means I can work my schedule around hers. If the job is during daylight hours, my daughters often ride their bikes both ways. The one family with two school aged kids usually drives both ways. I love that :) I've trained my kids to immediately say, "Sure, I can sit on Tuesday, but I'll have to check with my mom to see whether I'll need transportation. They are excellent sitters and no one ever minds.

I don't like being taken for granted by my kids or the hiring families as the all-time driver, but I don't mind driving one way or even both ways on occasion for a regular family.

Barb

No one is trying to hold you accountable for what other people pay their child care providers. :confused:

Personally' date=' I agree with you- I do not think that the quality of an institutional education can be compared to the quality of a homeschooled education, but clearly there are those who do. But yes, I do think "education is education". People need to educate their children and they can choose how to do it. Homeschool, private school, public school, private tutors- the possibilities are endless. People must have child care- they can do it themselves, send their kids to a daycare, have a sitter come to their homes, trade with friends/family- the possibilities there are also endless. It's the quality of child care or education that I'm comparing here- saying that it's worth more than what people usually pay.

A car is a car- if it's a Ford or a Jaguar. People seem to want to pay for the Ford, but have Jaguar quality.[/quote']

My "accountable" comment was referring to the comments made about going price for private care over group care (why would parents be willing to pay our going rate at $12 an hour for private care but not the same for group care in another person's home); not directed solely at you.

I'm not sure that you and I disagree; but that I think how much I'm willing to pay for something is completely relative to my personal needs and desires.

Edited by AimeeM

As a mom of teens who babysit:

1. As previously mentioned, the teen in question is usually too young to drive.

2. Babysitting is often scheduled on the spur of the moment rather than far in advance and as the only driver in my house with seven schedules to juggle, I can't be the only one responsible for getting my kids to their many babysitting jobs.

3. This is just something that is open to negotiation when hiring a sitter. The rules are just different, nothing more. It's a perk of that type of job.

4. That said, there are some people I'm happy to share the driving with. This includes the lady with twin toddlers and a preschooler. I usually drive one way because her littles are often asleep when she returns. Another is my oldest daughter's regular nanny job. The regular schedule means I can work my schedule around hers. If the job is during daylight hours, my daughters often ride their bikes both ways. The one family with two school aged kids usually drives both ways. I love that :) I've trained my kids to immediately say, "Sure, I can sit on Tuesday, but I'll have to check with my mom to see whether I'll need transportation. They are excellent sitters and no one ever minds.

I don't like being taken for granted by my kids or the hiring families as the all-time driver, but I don't mind driving one way or even both ways on occasion for a regular family.

Barb

I guess I'm not sure how having a paid babysitting job is any different than having any other job; where I'm sure you wouldn't expect the employer to offer transportation.

However, it has been pointed out to me that in some areas teens are paid very small amounts to baby sit. That isn't the case here (or in my home), so I wasn't wholly aware of it until now.

I pay my babysitters $8 per hour. They are 14 years old and watching 2 or 3 kids. I usually round up to the nearest $10. My two girls also spend all day long at a home daycare while I work full time. There I pay per child, so if I had to pay $16 per hour for my two girls to be watched... well, I wouldn't be working, I'd be a home. Except there wouldn't be a home to be at, or food to be eating, or anything much at all.

There is a reason day cares charge less per hour. Two or more adults can easily watch 10-15 kids. At $8 per hour, one kid would net them $80 a day, with 10 kids that would by $800, or $400 for each of the 2 adults working. And legally, 2 adults can watch a few more than 10 kids. Why should the day care provider make $400 a day when the teacher paying them makes 1/4 of that teaching 32+ 2nd graders, complete with lesson planning and such?

As far as the OP, I babysat throughout middle school and high school. The parents needing me almost always drove both ways.

I guess I'm not sure how having a paid babysitting job is any different than having any other job; where I'm sure you wouldn't expect the employer to offer transportation.

I used to work as a nanny when I was just out of university, and I also did some baby-sitting. If I worked late, thy usually offered me a ride, because they didn't want me walking home alone at night.

It's about having human relationships as opposed to giving as little as possible to other people.

There are other jobs that provide transport - usually they are ones where the employees would not make it to the work site without it. Agricultural workers are a common example of this.

However, it has been pointed out to me that in some areas teens are paid very small amounts to baby sit. That isn't the case here (or in my home), so I wasn't wholly aware of it until now.

Because at say, McDonalds or Applebees, you have your schedule a week or more in advance. My girls are often called to babysit with 24 hours notice or even less. There is often an open ending time. Also, McDonald or Applebees hires many, many interchangeable and expendable employees. They really don't care how you get there as long as you are there on time. If you don't want the job, you are easy to replace. Childcare is a whole different ballgame. You want someone wonderful to watch your children. S/he must be flexible, engaged, warm, mature, kind, fun and attached to your children. When you find that, you protect it. It's supply and demand and the rules are just different for this particular job.

Barb

I used to work as a nanny when I was just out of university, and I also did some baby-sitting. If I worked late, thy usually offered me a ride, because they didn't want me walking home alone at night.

It's about having human relationships as opposed to giving as little as possible to other people.

There are other jobs that provide transport - usually they are ones where the employees would not make it to the work site without it. Agricultural workers are a common example of this.

I'm referring to it being expected; not doing it out of kindness. We love our sitter and happily provide a ride home on the rare occasions she needs it and her parents can't pick her up.

I'm referring to it being expected; not doing it out of kindness. We love our sitter and happily provide a ride home on the rare occasions she needs it and her parents can't pick her up.

Hmm. Well maybe it ought to be more often than the rare occasion. That would be a great kindness to the parents who, after all, are dropping her off.

Barb

I pay my babysitters $8 per hour. They are 14 years old and watching 2 or 3 kids. I usually round up to the nearest $10. My two girls also spend all day long at a home daycare while I work full time. There I pay per child, so if I had to pay $16 per hour for my two girls to be watched... well, I wouldn't be working, I'd be a home. Except there wouldn't be a home to be at, or food to be eating, or anything much at all.

There is a reason day cares charge less per hour. Two or more adults can easily watch 10-15 kids. At $8 per hour, one kid would net them $80 a day, with 10 kids that would by $800, or $400 for each of the 2 adults working. And legally, 2 adults can watch a few more than 10 kids. Why should the day care provider make $400 a day when the teacher paying them makes 1/4 of that teaching 32+ 2nd graders, complete with lesson planning and such?

I agree that the economic realities are such that paying more for childcare would make working impossible for many.

But there is still something a little bizarre about entrusting the larger part of our child's awake hours to minimum wage level employees, often with a high turn-over rate.

The fact that this is how our system is set u says something about our priorities as a culture.

Because at say, McDonalds or Applebees, you have your schedule a week or more in advance. My girls are often called to babysit with 24 hours notice or even less. There is often an open ending time. Also, McDonald or Applebees hires many, many interchangeable and expendable employees. They really don't care how you get there as long as you are there on time. If you don't want the job, you are easy to replace. Childcare is a whole different ballgame. You want someone wonderful to watch your children. S/he must be flexible, engaged, warm, mature, kind, fun and attached to your children. When you find that, you protect it. It's supply and demand and the rules are just different for this particular job.

Barb

Again, something different. Only rarely do I call our sitter last minute. She generally has AT LEAST a week and a half notice before sitting. She is also a home schooled child and I wouldn't want her shirking her school work because I needed a last minute sitter.

Last minute for us is the rare occasion we do drive her home - and her pay is generally rounded up.

I still believe so long as there is money exchanged, it is (first and foremost) a professional relationship.

It really irks me when I am expected to drive my daughter to a babysitting job. She usually gets paid $15-$25 and I have to eat the gas costs and the time costs. I think if someone hires a babysitter, they should plan to pick them up. Now if they want to pay at least minimum wage, I'll take her and she can reimburse me for my gas and time.

Again, something different. Only rarely do I call our sitter last minute. She generally has AT LEAST a week and a half notice before sitting. She is also a home schooled child and I wouldn't want her shirking her school work because I needed a last minute sitter.

Last minute for us is the rare occasion we do drive her home - and her pay is generally rounded up.

I still believe so long as there is money exchanged, it is (first and foremost) a professional relationship.

The reality is, the overwhelming majority believes that the driving should be shared equally, at least. You may be taking advantage of this family without realizing it.

Hmm. Well maybe it ought to be more often than the rare occasion. That would be a great kindness to the parents who, after all, are dropping her off.

Barb

It may be a great kindness to them; but if I need a sitter, it is generally because I need the help... and am willing to pay for it.

I'll be honest (lol - and see how far it gets me before biting me); I could just as easily hire an adult with their own vehicle for the same amount and not have to worry at all about transportation. It creates work for me to load up my children and drive them across town. I enjoy our sitter very much; but I drive her home when I do because I want to... and because it is NOT expected all the time. The very reason I hire a sitter when I do is to create LESS work for me.

Don't hate me. Lol. I'm not cold or heartless - I just enjoy a professional distance most of the time. I have to. I've done the friendship, vested interested, human kindness gig before with sitters and it almost always blew up in my face (save a few great ones who happened to move too!).

In this case, however, I sincerely enjoy our sitter and have no problem taking her home occasionally. I'm talking about the general sitter... and entitlement. I do not see a paid sitter as doing her employer a favor. It's a job.

I agree that the economic realities are such that paying more for childcare would make working impossible for many.

But there is still something a little bizarre about entrusting the larger part of our child's awake hours to minimum wage level employees, often with a high turn-over rate.

The fact that this is how our system is set u says something about our priorities as a culture.

Exactly. Lots of us here do not choose to do that, but our society does.

The reality is, the overwhelming majority believes that the driving should be shared equally, at least. You may be taking advantage of this family without realizing it.

If I am then it's new to me. How this is any different than an adult working for me, I'm not sure. I pay her just as much as I paid adults previously.

Should I just not use her and instead use an adult so I'm not taking advantage?

Also, this was suggested by the parents. I would never have hired a teenager otherwise. If it were a hardship for them to drive her, I expect they would have told me. I mentioned in passing that I was looking for a new sitter (I knew Mom) because of issues with our previous sitter, and Mom suggested her teenage daughter. I was hesitant because I have always adamantly avoided hiring a teenage sitter. I'm glad I did - she's great; but her Mom was told I wouldn't be available for transport and had no problem with it. Most teens need their parents permission to work, I would think.

Edited by AimeeM

It really irks me when I am expected to drive my daughter to a babysitting job. She usually gets paid $15-$25 and I have to eat the gas costs and the time costs. I think if someone hires a babysitter, they should plan to pick them up. Now if they want to pay at least minimum wage, I'll take her and she can reimburse me for my gas and time.

As I stated, it's news to me that people pay less than min wage for sitting. In our area $10 an hour is going rate - and we pay $12 an hour (generally rounded up because there are two children).