Menu

Time-management/ get things done help needed... (plus ADHD Breakthrough!!)

So yesterday during a counseling session, we stumbled upon what we think is an important fact.

I realized that a most of the things I have trouble remembering, are things to do, as opposed to facts. I generally don't have much trouble recalling facts. But it is the things to do that slip my mind or I absentmindedly procrastinate on - take out the trash, work out, study, watch the kids, read a book, make sure you have your keys before you lock the car, put away your laundry, go running, pick up milk, return books to the library, email so and so, etc.

I don't, on the other hand, seem to have much trouble recalling just plain old information.

Now, this isn't the only thing that gives me trouble, but it is a big chunk of it, so if I can get this under control, and find a med that doesn't make me overheat when I work out, I think I will feel so relieved!

Has anyone else noticed something similar in them or their ADHD spouse or kids? How do you deal with it?

My counselor wants me to find a way to maybe create a task list or daily planner type thing. We discussed using Google Calendar to put things I need to remember to do, and my wife would have access from home, and can add things I need to remember, and it can sync to my phone (when I am not at work - no phones allowed in my building). I can access it through the web online too.

Any suggestions maybe for an app that could help with this? I found one that looked pretty good called ASTRID, but I can't access the webpage at work, and I need to be able to do that.

Thanks!

Yes, this is a huge issue. I have a responsibility list for my all my kids, but I know that my adhd kids like that they know what is expected of them and what they have to do. They like the structure and consistency.

I am not adhd, although I do have trouble with names and dates. I keep a huge kitchen calendar and I use an app on my iphone that syncs with google calendar. I put all my info in my phone or online, including tasks to be done. It is a huge life saver for me.

I don't know if you have the anxiety component to adhd, but my dh and kids do. I know I wish my dh would put all his lists on paper or in an app instead of constantly in his head. He worries over them or forgets stuff.

I think you are headed in the right direction. :)

I've said this here before, but task-oriented items (especially those out of the norm like a random dentist appointment for only one kid) are really difficult for me to remember. But, I have a LOT of these types of things in my life.

I have:

A large calendar on the wall next to my desk at home with everything on it for the entire household. It includes all activities, functions we need to attend, dh's TDY dates, etc. If it isn't on that calendar, then I don't know about it.

A planner that I can carry around to meetings-I'm on a few different boards with regular meetings. You will need something like this for work since you cannot carry your phone into work. Everything is on this too. I have to "manually" sync it with my calendar by writing in/on them. ;)

Random things like the dentist appointment for just one kid? I have to set reminder alarms on my phone for those things. The same is true of anything that is new to the schedule.

DH and I tried using google calendar for a while, but it's honestly much easier to have it in hand/on the wall.

I have tried using day planner type things for a long time, but I can't get into it for some reason. I do have Internet access nearly everywhere I go though...

good ideas everyone, keep them coming!

Not like a day planner with time slots, that's too complicated.

I use a planner that has a month spread over two pages. The day squares are big enough to write several things in them. My busiest day this month has 6 things written in the square. When it's closed, it's the size of a regular folder.

I need to see the whole month all the time.

There is a little strip down the side for notes. I write down things I need to do at some point in the month. For example, I had a note to make an appointment for my son with the number for the specialty appointments. I was able to make the appointment when I had some free time.

I also have a paperclip on the current month. That allows me to flip to it quickly. It also allows me to stick in random notes about things that I can toss later (for example, my current note is to update a card for a recurring charge).

I have tried using day planner type things for a long time, but I can't get into it for some reason. I do have Internet access nearly everywhere I go though...

Well flylady has emails that are automated, reminding you daily and weekly what to do. Bravewriter has the same. Maybe you can set yourself up some on your phone or computer, recurring directions for daily and weekly items.

I'm in love with Cozi.com. You can have a calendar for each member of your family, and it's color coded. You can have as many To-Do lists as you need, and they'll show up on your calendar. There is a shopping list feature as well. You can sync the calendar with other calendars (so it syncs with my Outlook calendar and dh's Hotmail calendar). And there are apps, so you can take it with you on the go. It is brilliant.

I use a planner that has a month spread over two pages. The day squares are big enough to write several things in them. My busiest day this month has 6 things written in the square. When it's closed, it's the size of a regular folder.

There is a little strip down the side for notes. I write down things I need to do at some point in the month. For example, I had a note to make an appointment for my son with the number for the specialty appointments. I was able to make the appointment when I had some free time.

I also have a paperclip on the current month. That allows me to flip to it quickly. It also allows me to stick in random notes about things that I can toss later (for example, my current note is to update a card for a recurring charge).

This is exactly how I do it too! I try to find one with a spiral bound because I am prone to misplacing it. The folder size seems to get lost easily amongst all my other papers. The spiral will stick out. Even so, I misplaced it last week and have yet to find it..... I am so lost without it. :tongue_smilie:

I utilize Google Calendar for appointments and time-specific events. For all the other tasks and to-dos, I use Google Tasks. It works well with gmail. For example, I have my library account set up so I receive an email when I check out books. When I get the email there is an option in gmail to add it to Google Tasks. I add it by the due date of the books and organize my task list by date. Each morning, part of my procedure is checking the Google Tasks (it's on my homepage so it's very convenient); I can easily see that I must drop off the books at the library today, and the relevant email is referenced in the Tasks list.

I really like David Allen's Getting Things Done book. It has helped me develop a system so I don't have to remember all those little things.

I think it's also very helpful to develop procedures which incorporate daily tasks. (I rebel against the term 'routine' :tongue_smilie: ). For example, your procedure right before bed may include taking vitamins, flossing, brushing teeth, checking the garbage can, locking the doors, and turning out the lights - completed in the same order every night. You may need to utilize a checklist at first. That's okay. It'll eventually become a habit.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

Edited by thessa516
I love Commas, too much. :)

We use Cozi. http://www.cozi.com/ It's an online FAMILY calendar, (with color coded info for each family member.) It's accessible via computer or through apps. It even has a flylady version, with already generated flylady to-do-lists, or you can customize your own to-do-lists, or import ones from their site. It has reminders and a shared shopping list feature, too. We have had fun with the family journal component with photos, but don't use it consistently enough. I'm sure it has even more features, with menus and such, but I have only consistently used the calendar and to do lists, so my husband and I can keep up with changes and updates to our schedules. We use the free version.

Edited by LavenderGreen

I have a smallish notebook (6x8"?) that I use. I divide my pages in halves. On one side I keep a running to do list. On the other side I keep a list of what I've done or need to remember (kid lost a tooth, etc.). I have never considered myself ADD, but I have some serious working memory issues. "Airhead" is way too nice a term for my issues. :lol: I have found this works pretty well if I don't lose the book and if I remember to write in it. I need to velcro it to me, or something.

Personally, I think I have tried everything under the sun to keep myself organized. Like you, it is the things that need to get DONE that I cannot remember. It is as if there is no "place" in my head that the information is stored in. Now ask me the name of some obscure actor in a 1960's TV show and I have that info in a second, but ask me the name of a neighbor I have known for 11 years and I have no idea.

Letters I need to write, a bill that needs to be paid, items to buy, or appointments to be made cannot be remembered unless I write them down on a list. Unfortunately, I have found that putting a to-do list in my computer does not work - because it is not right in front of me! I forget to look at the to-do list:o. This is the same thing that happens with a Day Planner when the book is closed. It might as well not be there.

Finally, I found that the best thing for me is to have a clipboard (I got a cool looking stainless steel one that is hard to misplace) and I made up my own "Daily-Planner" list page in MS Word. I have 4 lined sections for To Dos, Errands, To Call, To Buy, and then down the length of the side of the page I label one "School" for all of my school-related to-do's. I mark through the item when it is done and each Sunday afternoon (my school planning and menu planning time) I pull out a new sheet and move over anything that still needs to be done. This has worked for me and I keep the clipboard right next to my keyboard so that I can SEE it and add to it.

My calendar is in MS Outlook and I must have it up at all times. My dh put a system on my desk that has my laptop to one side with a second monitor in front of me. My laptop screen has my calendar and e-mail up at all times because I have to SEE it to remember it. I color code my calendar like a mad woman. Then I sync this to my phone so that when I am out, I know what my calendar says. (Now if I could just find a foolproof way to remember to sync my phone on a regular basis.)

I also use MS OneNote for ALL of my school planning and have for 5 years. If it is not in one place, I will not know where it is.

Others have mentioned Flylady. I absolutely must use a system like this to remember to even do daily chores on a consistent basis. It has been a lifesaver for me. Clutter around me just seems to clutter my mind. I made to-do lists for both kids and myself and posted them in the various rooms. This has been huge! Then I remember what needs to be done without standing in the middle of the room saying to myself, "I know I needed to do something, but I can't remember what it is".

Good luck with this. My dad passed away when I was 13 and he was classic ADHD. A brilliant man who went to Emory to be a doctor before he was drafted into the Army. Unfortunately, he was the most disorganized man I have ever met. He would have benefited greatly knowing what ADHD was, having access to the medication, and learning organizational skills. You and I are blessed to at least know what it is and to have others to discuss it with.

When I made lists, I liked to put things on an Excel spreadsheet because it has the nice neat blocks and lines. I don't enter times, just a 'to do' list. Sometimes I would make two lists, a "must do" and a "get it done sometime."

When I worked outside the home, I made blank calendar blocks with a list of everything due that day on that day's blank. For projects, I'd often also put a "coming up in two weeks" entry.

My husband has found Kanban and Pomodoro very helpful.

Kanban is a production organization system that gives people a visual of a variety of tasks. Basically, we have a large white board on our pantry door. There are a few columns. The first says Things to Do. To the right of that is a column entitled Want to Do. To the right of that is a column titled Doing. And after that is one titled Done. We move post-it notes with tasks written on them across the columns until they reach done. We have a separate board for long term tasks (like house repairs that don't need to be done immediately or annual cleaning projects).

Kanban has really helped my husband focus on what needs doing, without feeling that he has to keep up with/not lose a notebook or dayplanner.

Pomodoro is a technique that breaks tasks into a time limit, as if (and some people do) you have a timer sitting next to you and you just do everything you can in that amount of time. No pressure to finish.

Flylady has something similar in her 15 minute clean/decluttering. It releases you from feeling overwhelmed (so overwhelm that you waste time overthinking).

Thanks everyone!

The reason I prefer a computer/phone based method is that I spend a good 9 hours a day in front of a computer, and when I am not at work I have my phone on me. It would be more difficult to keep up with any kind of paper based system, I think. I do appreciate the ideas that everyone has mentioned, and am looking into them all!

Tell me more about this FlyLady...what/who is it?

Well....this is embarrassing....but, I use:

Google Calendar. It's loaded with different colors, so I have a color-coded calendar for each group of tasks. For example: Meals are brown, Finance is gold, Church is green, etc. I like than I can cram a ton of info into it, and it's accessible on my laptop and iphone. It's also nice that you can view as many or as few of your calendars at a time as you wish. Considering that I also have calendars for dh, 4 children, holidays, birthdays, special events....it's helpful to be able to just view my Finance Calendar when it's time to pay bills.

Remember the Milk. This is excellent for repeating tasks, ideas, projects, or just plain old lists. I have about 20. For example....since I don't go to Office Depot very often, I keep an Office Depot list. If I run across a movie that I think we'd like, I put it on my Family Movie list. Good Lord. I just checked. I have 37 lists.

Home Routines. If you have an iphone or ipad, this is a beautiful app. Perfect for helping one start or keep up with routines. It's organized, but also very flexible. Love it.

Clear. Dh just downloaded this app to our phones. It's the first one we've seen that makes full use of the pinch, pull, and swipe features of the iphone. It's very minimalist. Which makes it perfect for a hot list or a list of things to accomplish in the next couple of hours.

I recently began taking Adderall XR; but honestly - I think I just have more things to keep up with than time. Plus, there are more interesting things to think about than what we are having for dinner or when the rent is due.:tongue_smilie:

I am still in the midst of trying various ways of organizing my day. Right now, I have the day divided into 3 blocks: morning, afternoon, and evening. Then within each block I have routines....wake-up routine, mealtime routines, etc. Since I have my time blocks and routines on my Google Calendar I get reminders on every device. Unfortunately, my phone, pc, and ipad are usually beeping and dinging to remind me of what I SHOULD be doing.:glare:

Tell me more about this FlyLady...what/who is it?

Flylady was started by a woman who was in the midst of trying to organize herself. She found that the best way to do it was to set up "routines".

If there is one thing I dislike - it is the word "routine". I like to "fly by the seat of my pants". Unfortunately, things just do not get done when I am "flying out of control". Flylady's format of setting up routines, "you can do anything for 15 minutes", and even her reminders have been a good thing for me.

Go to Flylady.net and click on "Welcome" and "Getting Started". The concept behind this is simple, yet it works wonders for someone like me with ADHD. When I stray from this list-type of organization, I can tell it in every corner of my household, finances, food planning, and general well-being.

I utilize Google Calendar for appointments and time-specific events. For all the other tasks and to-dos, I use Google Tasks. It works well with gmail. For example, I have my library account set up so I receive an email when I check out books. When I get the email there is an option in gmail to add it to Google Tasks. I add it by the due date of the books and organize my task list by date. Each morning, part of my procedure is checking the Google Tasks (it's on my homepage so it's very convenient); I can easily see that I must drop off the books at the library today, and the relevant email is referenced in the Tasks list.

I really like David Allen's Getting Things Done book. It has helped me develop a system so I don't have to remember all those little things.

I think it's also very helpful to develop procedures which incorporate daily tasks. (I rebel against the term 'routine' :tongue_smilie: ). For example, your procedure right before bed may include taking vitamins, flossing, brushing teeth, checking the garbage can, locking the doors, and turning out the lights - completed in the same order every night. You may need to utilize a checklist at first. That's okay. It'll eventually become a habit.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

Got this book from the library today, thanks!

My husband does not own any of these. He used an online timer for Pomodoro at work an in-house blog/kanban/status system at work.

He prefers a visual system at home, but there are several apps available to a Google search. These looked the best from a very quick search.

http://www.personalkanban.com/pk/applications/announcing-the-launch-of-ikan-the-personal-kanban-iphone-app/

http://thenextweb.com/lifehacks/2010/05/17/5-great-productivity-apps-for-iphone-owning-pomodoro-fans/

I use one of these too. I find that writing the info and then looking at the calendar everyday helps me visualize what is written in each spot. Mine also has a small space at the bottom with a place for notes which I use as a to-do section. For some reason it is much easier for me to visualize and remember info in this format as opposed to a check list. Honestly, I don't think my brain commmits info to memory until I write it down in this organized format, kind of like a timeline makes it easier to remember history.

Flylady was started by a woman who was in the midst of trying to organize herself. She found that the best way to do it was to set up "routines".

If there is one thing I dislike - it is the word "routine". I like to "fly by the seat of my pants". Unfortunately, things just do not get done when I am "flying out of control". Flylady's format of setting up routines, "you can do anything for 15 minutes", and even her reminders have been a good thing for me.

Go to Flylady.net and click on "Welcome" and "Getting Started". The concept behind this is simple, yet it works wonders for someone like me with ADHD. When I stray from this list-type of organization, I can tell it in every corner of my household, finances, food planning, and general well-being.

I like a lot of Flylady's ideas, but I.do.not.like her emails! She sends out many emails everyday with reminders for daily things, like "get dressed to shoes", "do a room rescue", etc. I'm pretty sure these emails will not help you (OP), but you can try them out to see. Some of her other ideas may help you out.

Best wishes.

FWIW, I have similar tendencies, and what is finally working for me is this: I created a private, locked-down blog on Blogger. I chose a format that allowed me to embed one Google calendar at the top in a month-at-a-glance format, so I can see the whole month as soon as the page opens on my screen (no scrolling or clicking needed, otherwise all is lost!). Then, down the right-hand side, I embedded another Google calendar pane that includes all my daily tasks in a list format. I have to scroll down to see that, but that's OK for me because they're less important things (my cleaning chores for the day, my morning and evening routines, etc.). I use the posting space in the blog as my scratchpad for grocery lists, directions to places, ideas I have that I don't want to forget, etc. The key part is the calendar at the top. I feel much less crazy with that up there, and it's accessible via my phone and the Web as well. I spend a lot of time in front of both of them, so I've finally actually gotten in the habit of entering things AS SOON AS I THINK OF THEM. That's the key for me.

The beauty of the system for me is the flexibility of the layout in Blogger and the flexibility Google calendar offers in the options it gives you in terms of how you set up the embedded calendar. You can create separate calendars for each aspect of your life (work, home, chores, routines, appointments, etc.), and you can embed them on Blogger in a million different ways according to what you need to see. It took awhile for me to work out exactly what I needed to see quickly and how it should look, but now that I have, it's a great system for me.

HTH!

I can tell you what worked for me....EVERYTHING....and I mean EVERYTHING goes into my phone with a little alarm. I trybto follow pretty rigid, but flexible routines. Flylady helped me tightening a bunch, Then I personalized it. Innate everything in there...taking vitamins, making lunch, writing a thank you note, grocery shopping lists.....what read aloud to which kid at what time.....you name it. It includes lists of chores...and who is responsible to do them....

I am constantly binging....but, it is so worth it!

Faithe

So yesterday during a counseling session, we stumbled upon what we think is an important fact.

I realized that a most of the things I have trouble remembering, are things to do, as opposed to facts. I generally don't have much trouble recalling facts. But it is the things to do that slip my mind or I absentmindedly procrastinate on - take out the trash, work out, study, watch the kids, read a book, make sure you have your keys before you lock the car, put away your laundry, go running, pick up milk, return books to the library, email so and so, etc.

I don't, on the other hand, seem to have much trouble recalling just plain old information.

Now, this isn't the only thing that gives me trouble, but it is a big chunk of it, so if I can get this under control, and find a med that doesn't make me overheat when I work out, I think I will feel so relieved!

Has anyone else noticed something similar in them or their ADHD spouse or kids? How do you deal with it?

My counselor wants me to find a way to maybe create a task list or daily planner type thing. We discussed using Google Calendar to put things I need to remember to do, and my wife would have access from home, and can add things I need to remember, and it can sync to my phone (when I am not at work - no phones allowed in my building). I can access it through the web online too.

Any suggestions maybe for an app that could help with this? I found one that looked pretty good called ASTRID, but I can't access the webpage at work, and I need to be able to do that.

Thanks!

This is exactly what I do as well. I need to see the whole month at a time. What I also do is lightly pencil in the top margin of a day if I'm making tentative plans and I need to 'hold' the day. I may not remember why I'm holding it, but I remember it's held for something special and not to schedule on it. I also use a marker to shade the borders of days that have so many activities that i can't fit more into. If I don't shade it in, it takes a few moments to realize that I can't (and by that time, I've usually already agreed to do something).

The other thing I do is take the appointment cards that I'm given for the kids and myself and I tape them on the top of the calendar (over the picture) for those months. This helps me with phone numbers and also a visual of how many doctor's appointments any particular month will have. I always write down my pharmacy fax number (and the phone/fax numbers to the schools) in the back along with directions to various places that I know I will go to, just not often.

FWIW, I have similar tendencies, and what is finally working for me is this: I created a private, locked-down blog on Blogger. I chose a format that allowed me to embed one Google calendar at the top in a month-at-a-glance format, so I can see the whole month as soon as the page opens on my screen (no scrolling or clicking needed, otherwise all is lost!). Then, down the right-hand side, I embedded another Google calendar pane that includes all my daily tasks in a list format. I have to scroll down to see that, but that's OK for me because they're less important things (my cleaning chores for the day, my morning and evening routines, etc.). I use the posting space in the blog as my scratchpad for grocery lists, directions to places, ideas I have that I don't want to forget, etc. The key part is the calendar at the top. I feel much less crazy with that up there, and it's accessible via my phone and the Web as well. I spend a lot of time in front of both of them, so I've finally actually gotten in the habit of entering things AS SOON AS I THINK OF THEM. That's the key for me.

The beauty of the system for me is the flexibility of the layout in Blogger and the flexibility Google calendar offers in the options it gives you in terms of how you set up the embedded calendar. You can create separate calendars for each aspect of your life (work, home, chores, routines, appointments, etc.), and you can embed them on Blogger in a million different ways according to what you need to see. It took awhile for me to work out exactly what I needed to see quickly and how it should look, but now that I have, it's a great system for me.

HTH!

Unfortunately, Blogger is also blocked at work! :(

Unfortunately, Blogger is also blocked at work! :(

Doh! Well, that would make the system rather difficult then. I really hope you can figure out what you need. I've struggled for years with system after system, trying to force square pegs into round holes. It's such a relief when you finally come upon something that works. Good luck!

I am another adhder who has a fantastic memory for facts but a horrible one for where did I put X. I can't use a phone because so much of the time I am looking for it. I don't know whether it is one of my medications or just my age but suddenly my losing things has gotten so much worse.

Anyway, I use a calendar and it was great but then I lost it and so now I had to get a new one and figure out who to call about appointments.

I don;t even bother to do housework in a regular fashion anymore. What I am going to do is get a house cleaner this week. I have decided that with the added job of having to handmake even more food because of younger dd's allergies, I really don't have the time to do thorough cleaning. I like things fairly clean so I do regular things like dishwasher, sweep the floor, take out trash, etc. BUt big cleaning needs to be done by someone else.