Menu

Update on my Ph. D. pursuit........

The U of Houston, Clinical Psychology rejected me. The Clinical Psychology program at Texas A&M rejected me.

I was truly naive when I started my Masters. I was naive 2.5 years later when I began applying for Clinical Psychology programs. I guess I should have gotten a clue when a Professor at U of H told me they recommend that students apply for 15+ programs!

But I had no idea. I had no idea that they were possibly THE most competitive Ph. D.

I expect rejections for the other 2 pending applications.

So, I began frantically searching alternatives. I *could*:

1. Get a Clinical Psychology Ph. D. from an online/hybrid/blended instituation. I'd probably get into one of those. Capella, Walden, Fielding. But, they are not well regarded in Academia (academia would capitalize itself ;)) or among other, traditionally educated professionals. Apparently those professionals are vulnerable in court, and lawyers avoid them.

2. Get a different Ph. D. Ph. D. in Positive Psychology? Ph. D. In Addiction? Ph. D. in Clinical Adolescent Psychology?

But, I decided that instead of running to a lesser quality, and problems *later*, I would get my LPC (waiting on organization to send me card so I can schedule test), LMFT (waiting on budget to take weekend study course, the MFT test is hard), and the LCDC (since I have my Masters, I will be able to get the internship hours waived.

I will work out this semester at my teaching job and my graduate school job, while passing the NCE. I will get my Monster, Career Builder and whatever else accounts up to date. I will tell the Principal/Administrator where I teach that I will be back next year, and I will look for a therapist position that has need for late afternoon, evening, and weekend counseling.

I will probably start slowly studying for a GRE retake. I am going to research how to get research experience. I may look into publishing something related.

And I will apply to the close by programs next year with improved scores, more focused essays, and a better understanding of what I am up against.

I seriously considered PsyD programs some years ago and got the impression my chances of being struck by lightening were better than getting into a program. :grouphug:

It's so stupid.

I hope you find a way to pursue your dream.

Thank you. Fortunately, I have a terminal, professional degree and designation so I can work.

I do think that if I weren't geographically anchored, and limited to the commutable programs, I would have gotten into something with a TA/RA. It was a matter of numbers.

I seriously considered PsyD programs some years ago and got the impression my chances of being struck by lightening were better than getting into a program. :grouphug:

It's so stupid.

I hope you find a way to pursue your dream.

Maybe if you got struck by lightning while you were visiting their campus, they'd accept you just to avoid a possible lawsuit. ;)

Joanne, I'm so sorry you weren't accepted into the programs, but I think it's great that you are already making alternate plans. :grouphug:

I need some professional help. How much do you charge? :D

No kidding! Joanne, you could make a fortune just off of us board members! :lol:

I'm sorry they rejected you. :grouphug: It sounds like you have a good back up plan though. I really hope things start falling into place for you!

:grouphug:

That is exactly why I am procrastinating on starting my BA in psych. I just don't see how I can roll the dice withonly 2-3 reasonable doctorate programs nearby.

If your goal is licensure, please don't waste your time and money with online schools. None are APA accredited! I don't know about TX, but all of my nearby states require that for licensure.

I did find a doctorate in Ed that would take me to where I want to be (working with gifted and LD assessment and assistance), but it requires 3 years of teaching. Not. Gonna. Happen!

:grouphug: again.

Joanne, I'm so sorry you weren't accepted into the programs, but I think it's great that you are already making alternate plans. :grouphug:

:iagree: From what I've read, the admission rates of the two schools you listed (highly ranked programs) are around 3-5%. When my DH applied to his PhD program (not clinical psychology but similarly tough admissions rates, tougher actually) we applied to 19 schools all over the country and were accepted into 5. We got into a top 5 program but were rejected by 7 schools that were much lower ranked :confused:. When the admission rates are that low, it feels like a complete roll of the dice.

:grouphug:

I'm inspired by your attitude! I think this - Ph. D. in Clinical Adolescent Psychology - sounds like it is right up your alley. Not to sound too cliche but when doors shut on me I always consider it God's way of leading me to something better. The back up plan you outlined sounds like it will give you more time to really consider what you want to specialize in and give you experiences that will help narrow your focus. You are going to be an amazing doctor, Joanne. You will have something many of them lack - empathy.

Wow Joanne. That all seems so complicated. It's great that you're listing out options though. I hope something works out that you absolutely love.

How can I find out more about the different degrees you've mentioned, like the difference between them, and which ones are too competitive? Dd13 is determined to major in psychology in college for both BA and MA but I don't think she has said anything about specialties. I know the future will change, but at this point she doesn't want to get degrees for working with children. Also, what are job prospects like without a PhD?

I'm inspired by your attitude! I think this - Ph. D. in Clinical Adolescent Psychology - sounds like it is right up your alley. Not to sound too cliche but when doors shut on me I always consider it God's way of leading me to something better. The back up plan you outlined sounds like it will give you more time to really consider what you want to specialize in and give you experiences that will help narrow your focus. You are going to be an amazing doctor, Joanne. You will have something many of them lack - empathy.

:iagree:

When dh was applying to Ph.D programs in psych the acceptance rate was around 1%- much more competitive than med school. Have you considered a D.M.F.T , a Ed.D. or a Psy.D? or going to a private program (more expensive, but also, sometimes, more endowment money- esp for non-trad students) and less competitive

Getting published and working in the field will make you a much more competitive applicant.

Night Elf-- job prospects for pscyhology with a B.A. or M.A. or basically tech positions. We know Master's level people earning about $15/ hour. A psych major, without a doctoral degree is an expensive way to make some money. The way to get into a grad program is to have stellar test scores, do research or publish if possible, have great refs and have the money to pay for it - getting a T.A. position at a big-10 school, for instance, is the cheapest way to go. But know that it's a competitive field adn if you want to really make BIG bucks or make a BIG name for yourself you will be working hard for a long time. It's also not all about "helping" people or "curing" them- in many situations it is a very medical model profression - meaning it's about managing meds or behavior.

AND, if you have religious convicitions, know going in that the ethical board takes precedence OVER your religious beliefs and the boards are getting more liberal (due to court cases) all the time.

When I got into my PhD program in clinical psych awhile ago, I had excellent grades, excellent recommendations, and decent but not eye-popping GRE scores. I firmly believe that what made the difference for me against all the other applicants who also had good grades etc., was the fact that my research interests meshed with what the program was offering.

I carefully researched what the various faculty were publishing and I cited it in my application. I suggested a few areas I was interested in that would add on to their research. And I got lucky. The faculty I wanted to work with had openings for a couple more students that year.

For PhD programs, you have to stand out in research, not in clinical work. Even if you never want to design a study again after you finish, you have to fake it. You don't have to have completed research beforehand (though it certainly helps) but you have to show you have an interest in it.

I think this is especially true for those who already have their masters (like I did when I applied.) No one was interested in my clinical work, they were interested in my research interests.

The various faculty each have their own areas of research and they may or may not have openings for new students. The dept. considers this when accepting people. Does this student fit with this faculty's interest? The trick is to be that student. So I would suggest picking the programs you want to apply to, carefully and thoroughly researching what faculty are doing what research, including pulling everything they have published, getting familiar with it, and then maybe even calling and setting up an appointment with those few particular faculty you want to work with. Tell them you are considering their program and would like to talk about their research. Come prepared with questions that show you know their work and that your interests would be a help to them.

Obviously grades, recommendations, and GRE scores have to show you are capable of doing the work but beyond that, I really think the above can help distinguish you from other applicants. (And if I'm telling you something you already know, never mind :lol:)

I am so sorry that two have rejected your application - they obviously do not know you well enough or would be thrilled to have you in their programs. I'll be praying that one of the other two outstanding ones gives you the thumbs up. But I have to say that your attitude, determination and perseverance are totally admirable. I have no doubt that one way or another, you will get to where you want to be. Your clients will be lucky to have you helping them. :grouphug: