Menu

S/O: Giving something up for Lent

Do you do it because you have always done it?

Do you actually spent the time in reflection and feel spiritually renewed at the end of the Lenten period?

I am just curious because I rarely talk to people who have a deeply spiritual reason to do it.

Heck, DH's family is nominally Catholic with a huge emphasis on NOMINALLY and when asked WHY they don't eat meat on Friday, they had no idea, they just grew up doing it and did it.

We do not practice Lent by giving up something. I have nothing against it, I just need to know it actually accomplishes a spiritual goal of some kind.

Dawn

I grew up Catholic. We "gave up" something every year. No meat on Fridays (lots of cheese pizza!) and an afternoon of silence on Good Friday.

I am no longer Catholic, and have not "given up" during lent for a while. I am a Christian - and more Baptist than anything - but mostly I love Christ and want to serve Him.

This year the kids and I are going to give something up. I'm at the point in my walk with the Lord that I can easily separate traditions from Truth and legalism from nice ideas that help you focus and invigorate your faith walk. For me this year will be about doing without so I can focus on Christ - about transformation - about His sacrifice. I want Lent to be the MOST special time of the year - with the anticipation and preparation we make for Christmas.

A few years ago we did a Passover dinner as a preparation for Easter. It was amazing and I plan to do it again this year. We also do a daily devotional focused on Easter.

As for meat - we may or may not abstain this year. I think our focus on Fridays will be really simple meals. The point is to remember the poor and those in need - so grilled salmon (in my area) would be a little counter productive. LOL! I think we may go simple (or focus on eating out our freezer on that day) and save the money we would have normally spent on the meal for a special donation at the end of Lent.

I'm still praying about what I need to abstain from - but I am really looking forward to the Lenten season this year!

Hey, Dawn! (Waving "hi" at your familiar face.) :)

Giving up something for Lent is just like any spiritual practice--it can become habit for some (or at some times) through repetition, but it does have a spiritual reason. In it's most basic form, people give up something for Lent to mirror Jesus's fasting in the desert for 40 days. The goal is to draw closer to Jesus through living out his suffering in a symbolic way. You see this often in the giving up of chocolate/alcohol/(historically) meat, etc. For others, giving something up for Lent can mean breaking a bad habit you shouldn't have been doing in the first place (i.e., people often give up gossip). It can mean living out the sacrifice of Jesus for us by giving up some small luxury in order to do for others (i.e., someone with a Starbucks habit could give that up, and use the money to give to a charity that serves the hungry).

Not comprehensive, but I've been interrupted and my train of thought has left the station.

I do it because I am obliged to do it but it is not a rote activity without thought. I pick something to give up and add something that make my life my focused on the priorities of family and faith. I do always end up feeling more spiritually renewed and find it quite enjoyable in a way. I take it as time to practice how my faith should be lived out all the time and move towards a more devout life, a few steps at a time(sometimes backwards and sometimes forward). All of us have room for improvement and I find it gratifying and illuminating examining those areas in which I am failing and turning to God for assistance in living out my purpose in life more fully.

Hi Heidi!

I do know that it is supposed to have a spiritual reason....I just don't meet that many who do it for that reason.

It seems to be a nudge, nudge, wink, wink, look at me type of thing for so many.

I am glad it isn't that way for everyone!

Jim's mother was horrified that we ate burgers on a Friday of lent. I asked her why and all she could say was, "It is LENT!" I asked WHY that was important. She had no idea.

Of course, much of what we do horrifies her, so, whatever. :tongue_smilie:

Dawn

Hey, Dawn! (Waving "hi" at your familiar face.) :)

Giving up something for Lent is just like any spiritual practice--it can become habit for some (or at some times) through repetition, but it does have a spiritual reason. In it's most basic form, people give up something for Lent to mirror Jesus's fasting in the desert for 40 days. The goal is to draw closer to Jesus through living out his suffering in a symbolic way. You see this often in the giving up of chocolate/alcohol/(historically) meat, etc. For others, giving something up for Lent can mean breaking a bad habit you shouldn't have been doing in the first place (i.e., people often give up gossip). It can mean living out the sacrifice of Jesus for us by giving up some small luxury in order to do for others (i.e., someone with a Starbucks habit could give that up, and use the money to give to a charity that serves the hungry).

Not comprehensive, but I've been interrupted and my train of thought has left the station.

Now, the only thing I could TRULY think of as a sacrifice and difficult to do without for 40 days would be coffee. I have tried it and it was not pretty. My family begged me to go back on it. I love the smell, flavor and everything about a really good cup.

Dawn

Do you actually spent the time in reflection and feel spiritually renewed at the end of the Lenten period?

Dawn

I am a cradle Catholic so I have always made sacrifices during Lent. I do feel spiritually renewed by them most years because they build up my relationship with Christ.

I try to be prayful in choosing my sacrifices by choosing practices that will help me tackle areas of sin in my life. For example, if I'm struggling with gluttony, I will give up snacking between meals or certain foods. If I'm struggling with sloth, I may give up TV or Internet. If I'm impatient with my family, I may focus on being extremely present to my family and responding to everyone's request immediately. My hope is always that after six weeks of serious, focused work on some weakness, I will have that area of my life back in balance so it will no longer be such a spiritual hindrance. The idea is to train the will to put love of Christ first.

Of course, Lent isn't just about "giving things up." It is also about deeper prayer and acts of charity and almsgiving as well. The sacrifices work in concert with prayer and charity and can not be seperated out of the greater context of one's relationship with Christ.

I am sorry that you seem offended. That wasn't my intent.

It isn't enough for me because she truly has no relationship with God. She has never been to Mass since DH has known her, which is over 40 years.

Her criticizing me for eating meat when she has no reason to give as to why to do it is not enough for me either.

However, I do understand that things can be cultural and denote the spiritual altogether.

In that, I can accept that she picks and chooses what traditions suit her.

Dawn

This is one of those typical posts about catholics from a protestant which fails to acknowledge that catholicism is a culture as well as a spiritual practice. Whether or not your MIL knows why we give up meat is really immaterial. She does it bc its what you do? So what? It is something she does in keeping with her catholic community. Its a gesture of solidarity and respect for her Tradition. Seems like that should be enough for you if its enough for her.

Well, I can tell you are very offended. Again, this was not my intent.

MOST people I know only tell what they are giving up and that is the end of the conversation. I never hear them say, "I am giving up X because I feel that will bring me closer to Jesus by......."

Dawn

It is NOT a look at me thing to engage in culturally appropriate activities. What a grossly insulting statement.

Seculr jews who light the menorah are perhaps also doing it for attention?

What on earth are you implying?

I will also say that I did not start this thread entirely about Catholics at all. I know many Protestants who give up something for Lent and don't really *appear* to state a spiritual reason. The fact that the story I gave was about a person who verbally professes Catholicism but doesn't practice it was not meant to imply that this was only to Catholics.

MOST people I know only tell what they are giving up and that is the end of the conversation. I never hear them say, "I am giving up X because I feel that will bring me closer to Jesus by......."

Dawn

I am not offended. I get what you are asking.

Maybe the Catholic shorthand is getting in the way again? We could be more explicit. I could tell you I am giving up Facebook to spend more time in prayer, TV to spend more time reading my Bible, desserts to have more money to give to the food pantry ... Well, you get the idea. But I probably won't get into all that and will just say I am giving up such-and-such. I know why I am giving it up. Part of the culture of it is not to emphasize it.

American culture is not so keen on sacrifice. We are all about what I want, what I deserve, and how to get it now. Self-denial is a good exercise, even if it is not entirely spiritual motivated.

Personally, I do give up things as a sacrifice, and I try to make them a personal sacrifice. What is sacrificial for me may not be for you. Different things are meaningful for different people.

But the idea of sacrificing something and suffering on behalf of another is a very traditional Christian idea. So it can be a very spiritual and very meaningful experience.

And even if it is done more culturally, sacrifice and self-denial can still be good for a person and maybe even good for their family and community.

Dawn

Well, I am sure some just do it without thought, not going into the deep meaning of an act doesn't mean there isn't one. It can come up fairly easy in conversation that something has been given up but that doesn't mean the conversation really lends itself to going into the details behind that choice. It is a pretty personal thing imo and not something to share just in passing. I can hear it now "I'm giving up chocolate because I'm a gluttonous pig and hope to gain self control"- "I'm giving up gossiping because I tend to talk about everyone behind their back" It is hard to share your failings and sin- for most everyone but much easier to share your efforts towards improving and growing closer to God.

Edited by soror

Well, I am sure some just do it without thought, not going into the deep meaning of an act doesn't mean there isn't one. It can come up fairly easy in conversation that something has been given up but that doesn't mean the conversation really lends itself to going into the details behind that choice. It is a pretty personal thing imo and not something to share just in passing. I can hear it now "I'm giving up chocolate because I'm a gluttonous pig and hope to gain self control"- "I'm giving up gossiping because I tend to talk about everyone behind their back" It is hard to share your failings and sin- for most everyone but much easier to share your efforts towards improving and growing closer to God.

:iagree: Very well said.

It seems to be a nudge, nudge, wink, wink, look at me type of thing for so many.

It's hard to read your OP as a respectful request for information when I read this.

I did not grow up with Lent. Our church doesn't observe Lent as part of a liturgical tradition; however, the young adults group has encouraged the rest of the church to "Spend differently" during Lent for a couple years now. So maybe no Starbucks, but the money goes into a pot for refugees, for a mission, etc. all during Lent.

I also use Lent as a time to reflect on my current spiritual walk and make adjustments--so it might be a time to add something like more prayer or a certain kind of prayer, or a time to subtract something that may have been consuming too much attention, such as internet surfing.

Edited by Laurie4b

This is very helpful.

I am a cradle Catholic so I have always made sacrifices during Lent. I do feel spiritually renewed by them most years because they build up my relationship with Christ.

I try to be prayful in choosing my sacrifices by choosing practices that will help me tackle areas of sin in my life. For example, if I'm struggling with gluttony, I will give up snacking between meals or certain foods. If I'm struggling with sloth, I may give up TV or Internet. If I'm impatient with my family, I may focus on being extremely present to my family and responding to everyone's request immediately. My hope is always that after six weeks of serious, focused work on some weakness, I will have that area of my life back in balance so it will no longer be such a spiritual hindrance. The idea is to train the will to put love of Christ first.

Of course, Lent isn't just about "giving things up." It is also about deeper prayer and acts of charity and almsgiving as well. The sacrifices work in concert with prayer and charity and can not be seperated out of the greater context of one's relationship with Christ.

This will be our third Lent, so no, it's not something we've always done. We converted to Eastern Orthodoxy in 2010. Something I really appreciate about Lent in our tradition is that we all do it together, and we don't just give stuff up but we add stuff in, too. For the most part, the Orthodox give up the same thing(s) [certain types of food for the duration] and also increase the same things [prayer and almsgiving]. For me, that makes the season easier, because it is a looong season. Most of the people around me, and around the world, are doing the same thing, we're in it together and draw strength from each other for the journey. And then we all rejoice together at the end, too.

Yes, we try to spend more time in prayer, and there are certain prayers and services we only have at this time of year. At the end, I'm overjoyed -- Christ is risen! Truly, He is risen! -- and yes, refreshed as well as relieved, and thankful, which is wonderful. At the same time, it's not any kind of ending point to the Christian faith because we just cycle through and do it again next year. I think that's something I was always looking for before -- a sense of "finish" in my Christian life; reaching some kind of point (and never doing so). There were certain things that I believed that made this so. Now, it's a cycle, it's season-based, and we just keep "press[ing] on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of" us, day after day, year after year. It's just what we "do."

Hope that helps.

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

I haven't always done it. Some years, I wasn't in the right place to do so.

I don't usually "do" Lent to get anything like renewal out of it, so I have never evaluated how I felt at the end. Truthfully, I'm usually too high from the Marshmallow Chicks of Easter to think clearly.

We were taught as youngsters to try to find something we want to improve in ourselves and see if there's a way to make it benefit others. To that end, I'm giving up all alcohol for Lent so that I have that money I save to give to the foodbank. So, in six weeks I might be a little bit thinner, and someone else's belly might be a bit more satisfied. :) I don't plan to feel renewed about it. I'm not even trying to accumulate chits for heaven or anything. It's just done if I'm in a place mentally to do.

I haven't always done it. This is only my third year giving something up.

When I was a kid there were people around me who would give up something, and in some ways it felt much like new years resolutions. A lot of them were not carried out. I was at that point surrounded by a lot of very superficial people. So I get where you could get that feeling.

However, I can see where some people could take the OP as insulting, I might be one of those people if I had not had the different experience as a kid. I now am surrounded by a lot of people who sacrifice during lent for spiritual purpose. If I had grown up being surrounded by this, I would not realize that some people do it for show. This is where I now practice with not judging and praying that one day the true beauty of Lent will be clear to them.

I pick something that I do everyday, so that everyday during Lent I remember that it is Lent. I remember that however long it seems to me, that in the face of eternity, it is small. It isn't a hardship for me, as it reminds me of how loved and cherished I am. What Jesus did for us. Every time I think to come on to FB or the boards I will say a pray of Thanksgiving instead. This is my favorite time of year.

I hope I am not rambling to much. I was rudely woken from a nap by drums crashing below my head.

Nicole

No. Grew up Baptist. Began to practice Lenten disciplines maybe seven, eight years ago.

Yes, the season of Lent is focused, in part, on repentance and confession and identification with the suffering of Jesus as a way of preparing one's self for the joyful feast of Easter. I don't know about "feeling spiritually renewed," as it is not really done to achieve particular feelings, but yeah, overall, helpful and meaningful.

Prior to practicing a season of Lenten discipline, Easter was not very meaningful celebration (theologically meaningful, of course, but not personally meaningful) . . . I'd just bob along cheerfully from Sunday to Sunday and Easter was just another Sunday with a family dinner and Easter baskets added in. Observing Lent seems to get closer to the heart of scriptures that say we must be crucified with Christ if we are to participate with Him in His resurrection.

I've observed lent for most of my adult life. How much I get out of it varies - mostly depending on what I put into it, but sometimes life gets in the way more than I'd like.

I understand Lent to be a kind of desert for us. In everyday life we are so busy and there are so many things going on that we often are not even aware of the ways we are being tempted, and how much we fall prey to temptation. Maybe we don't ever realize that eating that doughnut was actually a bit of gluttony, or it's an hour later by the time we get there mentally. We can't even see the details of out lives enough to decide if we are doing ok in our spiritual growth or not. It is like a forest of sensations where we can't see the trees.

In Lent, we try to remove some of those trees, maybe a lot of them. When you are alone in the desert, you can see the Devil coming to tempt you from far away, there is no place for him to slip up to you unnoticed. You have, in a sense, declared open warfare. When, for example, you have restricted the type or amount of food you are eating, you suddenly realize how much your belly is really taking command of you. When you plan to give more alms, you realize how attached you are to money.

Fasting, alms-giving, and prayer, undertaken systematically, can reveal these things to us and can also give us tools to resist then in our daily lives.

I grew up with Lent as an Episcopalian. I give up different things and take on something. Don't know what I'm giving up, but I'm taking on a study and want to be at our intercessory prayer every Monday.

I like the community aspect of it, much like Milovany said. My denomination is less individualistic and more community minded than some.

I also love the rhythm of the liturgical year--I need that rhythm to mark the time and to enter into the spiritual rhythm of my life. I can't really articulate it well, but it's like when I moved from Ohio to FL and really missed the seasons. The church seasons, if you will, just provide me with a sort of spiritual structure I lack internally. I walk the Lenten road to get to Easter--it feels like taking a short-cut and missing something really profound when I don't go thru the self-examination, self-denial, and re-enactment of the Triduum (I think that's spelled right! lol).

I do feel refreshed, but it's more like I've made a journey and have reached a destination--I guess the journey is the Via Dolorosa, and the destination is closer to Christ. I'll tell you, tho, the biggest lesson I ALWAYS learn (and relearn, and relearn) is how dependent I am on the Big JC. I simply can't keep a lenten discipline to save my life--every year I'm in that humbled place by the end, and actually, it's a good place to end up. I get really bowed down with the burden of it, til I cry out "Oh Father, I can't do this for you!" Then he lifts my head and smiles at me and says, "I know. That's why I did it for you, silly girl!"

As I posted in the other thread, I plan to give up sarcasm this year for Lent, and I expect it will honor the "love your neighbor as yourself" commandment, which I'm guilty of breaking daily, possibly hourly :( Yes, I do it for spiritual reasons.

The Bible does say you aren't supposed to walk around bragging about why you are fasting, but I guess none of you know me. I have talked about it with friends afterward, as a testimonial.

Another year, I did forty days of water http://40days.bloodwatermission.com/ where all of the money I would typically spend on coffee or other drinks went to build wells in Africa.

I grew up Catholic and I honestly never thought of it growing up, why we did it and such. Part of that it the community, everyone else did it so I just followed along. Another was I was a kid/teenager, you don't see things you see as an adult, you don't understand context or history. I knew of the general Jesus' fasting for 40 days reason but that was the extent of my knowledge.

After being away from the Catholic church for nearly a decade (attending a non-denom church) I've recently begun reading about the older church traditions. But I find Lent to be a very interesting tradition. I understand it more and I can see why it's done. However, I think like most traditions it can become an empty act, done because that's what has always been done or because your faith community does it as well. But I think that can be said for any faith or denominational tradition.

So all that to say, I think it's a wonderful tradition. I don't see it as being legalistic as I define legalism as doing something to earn your salvation. But from my own perspective (which is limited) Lent is something that *can* be done without thinking of the "why's."

Also, we never had fish growing up. We were broke. :tongue_smilie: It was always beans or no meat at all.

As I posted in the other thread, I plan to give up sarcasm this year for Lent, and I expect it will honor the "love your neighbor as yourself" commandment, which I'm guilty of breaking daily, possibly hourly :( Yes, I do it for spiritual reasons.

The Bible does say you aren't supposed to walk around bragging about why you are fasting, but I guess none of you know me. I have talked about it with friends afterward, as a testimonial.

Another year, I did forty days of water http://40days.bloodwatermission.com/ where all of the money I would typically spend on coffee or other drinks went to build wells in Africa.

I like the idea of giving money you would normally spend to the needy.

I'm Lutheran and we celebrate Lent, but it isn't required to give something up for the season. Some do, some don't.

For me, it is a spiritual discipline . . . it is meant to bring Christ's sacrifice to mind. It isn't a "work" that is meant to aid in salvation.

In years past I have given up sweet drinks, chocolate, time (and given that time to prayer, Bible study, etc.). This year I will fast on Wednesdays . . . I am hoping that by telling people I will be able to discipline myself enough to do that! :tongue_smilie:

we observe lent here. i did not grow up in church, so it wasn't common practice. well, actually we couldn't eat meat on good friday, but we didn't go to church, lol. our previous church was UMC and we began observing lent there. after 5 years there, we have just moved to florida. our current church does not observe lent but we will continue definitely. lent is my favorite time of year leading up to my favorite christian celebration. we do a "lenten journey" to countdown the days until easter. for me, easter is the cornerstone of christianity and helping my children observe lent makes it so much more incredible. we reflect every single day with scripture and an activity. we also fast, but for us the fasting simply means we are giving something up to make more time for something else. God.

on another note, one of my favorite quotes to reflect on during lent is below.

"For what good is it if we abstain from birds and fishes, but bite and devour our brothers?"

St. John Chrysostom

I grew up with Lent as an Episcopalian. I give up different things and take on something. Don't know what I'm giving up, but I'm taking on a study and want to be at our intercessory prayer every Monday.

I like the community aspect of it, much like Milovany said. My denomination is less individualistic and more community minded than some.

I also love the rhythm of the liturgical year--I need that rhythm to mark the time and to enter into the spiritual rhythm of my life. I can't really articulate it well, but it's like when I moved from Ohio to FL and really missed the seasons. The church seasons, if you will, just provide me with a sort of spiritual structure I lack internally. I walk the Lenten road to get to Easter--it feels like taking a short-cut and missing something really profound when I don't go thru the self-examination, self-denial, and re-enactment of the Triduum (I think that's spelled right! lol).

:iagree: Before Easter was fun, but it was just like any other Sunday. I mean, yeah, there was more fanfare, but meh.

My dh just read this over my shoulder and said, "That is so wrong!!!! .....and she didn't even speak in code, what happened to teA?!" :lol:

LOL!

I am praying I never seriously typed teA here!

I m teasing. I think Lent is very interesting. I respect the meaning and symbolism of Lent.

Edited by LibraryLover

Hi OP, this will be my 21st year keeping the Orthodox Christian fast... the church has a set of things to abstain from, and more services to participate in, and customs (such as ask forgiveness from people on the 1st Sunday), so that there is not much need to brag about what one is doing for Lent, since there is a set of things already-- it's pre-set and you don't have to add your own thing or think up something. Although some do add, for example, limiting screen time. :D

I have found Lent tremendously helpful, for increased focus on God and my relationship with him, increased mercy toward others, and increased self-control and ability to withstand temptation. I do feel a sense of achievement and extra joy when Easter comes, yes.

You can read all about the EO fast elsewhere, so I won't belabor it.

I will just give a small example of how it affects me. For example, I am so used to abstaining from certain foods during Lent, like when I am with non-fasting friends and I am offered a certain food, I just decline politely (NOT bragging how holy I am!!! just declining without saying why and not making a big deal of it). I am used to considering something, reaching my hand out, so to speak, and then withdrawing my hand without taking it. One time during Lent, I was at a relative's house and I was in her bathroom looking for Tylenol. Lo and behold I saw her medicine cabinet, an antidepressant. The name was turned outward so I could see it easily. I had no idea she was taking it. I saw a whole line of other prescription meds in bottles. I was very curious to know what other meds she might have. I actually put out my hand to turn one around to see its label. I saw myself putting out my hand, and then I took my hand back without touching the bottles. I think that I was able to refrain from this temptation because I was already used to "practicing" so to speak, with food. And, I was also able to refrain from gossiping about what I had seen.:001_smile:

It may seem that this is a babyish example, and others may be able to resist temptation much more easily, but it worked for me!

Also, just to add, if you want to read about this kind of season from a non-Christian perspective, look up Ramadan.

I am learning a lot from this thread. I truly meant no ill and I am very sorry some of your were offended.

I am particularly drawn to the idea that many of you have mentioned about giving up something monetarily to give to others.

Dawn

I have observed Lent all my life and can't imagine not. It is a time of spiritual growth. Our church has services on Wednesdays and they have a special focus on Christ's suffering for us. It all prepares us to REALLY celebrate the Resurrection! It's quite a contrast, you know? It helps me imagine what the Resurrection must have been like for the early believers. Easter is all that much more meaningful after six weeks spent reflecting on what He gave up for us in order to take our place, our punishment... and give us Hope! The Joy after the time of seriousness and reflection... it is all that much MORE than if the whole Lenten/Easter season was just one Easter Day that quickly disappeared.

As far as giving something up... I used to do that every year when I was growing up. It was very meaningful to me as a child and as a teenager. At some point I needed a break. My health and energy levels are an issue and I can only handle so much so the last several years I have gone more towards adding more time in the Word or reading a Christian book that helps me reflect on God's love and plan of salvation.

Most people I know give up chocolate or desserts. It is not in any way to earn salvation (which is impossible:o) or to earn anything at all. It's simply an aid to help remember Christ's sacrifice. It's a time to turn more often to God in prayer ("Please help me, God!") and to think of how He gave up the glories of heaven to be born as a helpless Baby, for me. For you.

Is Lent a favorite time of year for me? No. But that's part of the beauty of it-- it helps prepare us for that most special day of remembrance-- Easter. And year after year, the time of Lent including Maundy Thursday, Good Friday... always turns out to be a very, very special experience.

As the quote goes: It's Friday... but Sunday's coming!

In high school our youth pastor encouraged us to add, not give up. I giess we were giving up time to spend more time with God in prayer and Bible study. I have not some Lent since high school. None of the churches we have attended mentioned it. I did not even know tomorrow was Ash wed until a Catholic friend posted on Facebook.

ETA: I have non-Christian/non-religious friends who give stuff up just to say they do. No reason other than attention. It really takes away from the meaning, I think the secularization of it I have seen has made it less important to me as a Christian.

Edited by chepyl

I'm Episcopalian. Our church encourages us to ADD something to our lives for Lent. They offer several Lenten classes to focus on the season and bring in a Labyrinth to walk. It's a time of spiritual reflection, and if that means realizing that one should give up a bad habit, then do so.

sometimes doing something just because we've always done it is the best we can manage, but then God takes it and turns it to some unexpected good.

other times, we have lots of time for reflection, are really intentional about our choices to add and/or subtract something, focus on it in a prayerful way, and feel renewed and re-created at the end of it all.

sometimes, it serves to remind us at unexpected times that we are followers of Christ. (the year i gave up Coke, i remembered every single day that i was following Christ). and many times, when i've explained i gave up chocolate/coke/coffee for lent, it leads to discussions in real life like we're having here....

and who knows how it affects others around us? sometimes we sow seeds because that's how we're called, and we don't get to see what happens next.

and sometimes going thru the motions leads us to rediscover the depth and wonder of God's Love for us.

you just never know; sometimes just showing up leads to wonderful and amazing things.

:grouphug:

ann