Menu

If you had $300 to spend

I would get a play kitchen. That was easily the best money I ever spent on a toy. Some fun pots and pans, utensils - we still have some of our kitchen toys (not the kitchen itself) and I get cracked up watching my 12 yo make "potions" in the backyard with her siblings. We bought all of that for her 2 yo birthday so - 4 kids and 10 years worth of play out of it!

Rubbaboos cars (favorites around here)

play kitchen and accessories

anything by Melissa and Doug

Straws and connectors are great fun for the bigger kids

wedgits

peg boards with pegs

lacing sets (lacing boards as well as beads with laces)

I tend to buy toys that are educational though my kids have many that are not (dora playset, baby dolls, bakugans etc)

Other ideas would be outdoor play things, balls, skipping ropes, scooter boards, sidewalk chalk, bug catching kits, sand toys etc.

ETA: I can't believe I forgot to put legos and blocks, ours get sed daily. The puppets get used too but it is more sporadic so they are nice to have but not all kids play with them enough to warrant the cost (though most of ours I bought at the $store or second hand so that helped)

Edited by swellmomma

It so depends on the kid. My oldest was really, really, really into legos. I got duplos when he was younger. He also was VERY content to have a pad of unlined paper and a pencil. On a plane trip across the country once I had packed tons of toys....he wanted none of them.....the pad of paper and pencil was all he wanted and he drew for hours, even at age 3-4.

Girls, well, that is out of my league! :lol:

You've already had great ideas. I really try to go for timeless, never runs out of fun type toys so...

-small wood play kitchen plus some food

-legos, lincoln logs, blocks (basically something good for building...the youngers wouldn't be ready for legs yet so maybe one of others)

-pop up tent

-zoobs (my kids just love these)

-Melissa and Doug toys

-for my boys, Fisher Price Imaginext has hands down been the best money I ever spent. They have different "lines" of them--space, castle, police station, batcave, diving ship, pirate ship, etc... We will pick one and then get everything for that line for their birthdays/Christmas for one year. To say they love them is an understatement. They have had some of them for 4 years and still play with them consistently everyday. Some of the best ones (castle, pirate ship) have been discontinued so it may be an ebay thing.

$80 on the wooden toy kitchen from Target.

$25 for play pots and pans, utensils, and food from Ikea.

$70 for Melissa & Doug unit blocks.

$20 for a 20-car pack of Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars.

$15 for two Safari "Toobs" of animal figurines.

$50 for LEGO Bricks & More Deluxe Set.

$10 for a pop-up tent from Ikea.

$30 for assorted stuffed animals - probably from Ikea, where they're both cute and cheap.

Gosh, can you tell that my daughter isn't a doll person?

Playmobil. You may have to put up some of the small pieces until your youngest is older, but mine all played with Playmobil daily from the time they were 2. They still do. Playmobil does make a toddler line, slightly bigger with no small pieces.

Legos or Megablocks or Duplos

K'nex Junior sets

Dress up clothes and "props"

These are pretty much all that my kids play with, and they have for years. The Imaginext sets that a PP mentioned are also great, but I have found that the figures get tons more play than the "set" (boat, car, cave, whatever). That is true of the Playmobil sets as well.

I'd also add good art supplies--colored pencils, crayons, glue sticks, paper, markers, watercolor and tempura paints--and some stuffed animals or rag dolls.

And books.

Edited by urpedonmommy

$80 on the wooden toy kitchen from Target.

$25 for play pots and pans, utensils, and food from Ikea.

$70 for Melissa & Doug unit blocks.

$20 for a 20-car pack of Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars.

$15 for two Safari "Toobs" of animal figurines.

$50 for LEGO Bricks & More Deluxe Set.

$10 for a pop-up tent from Ikea.

$30 for assorted stuffed animals - probably from Ikea, where they're both cute and cheap.

Gosh, can you tell that my daughter isn't a doll person?

This looks like a great list to me - a decent assortment that covers all ages/genders and will last a long time!

I do not know what Melissa and Doug unit blocks are - I would go with a big set of wooden blocks, maybe also a set of those cardboard bricks (you have to fold them up yourself - we had them and they lasted through four kids!)

For our family the toy that got the most use was wooden blocks. When they're little they love knocking town stacks of blocks. As they get older their imagination determines how the blocks will be used--as a castle or a bridge or road or animal enclosures. Our blocks were hand-me-downs from sil; they lasted through all my dc and are now back at sil's for her new grandson.

I, too, would get a play kitchen OR a Playmobil castle set, depending on space and interest.

Dress-up items and silk scarves

A set of quality wood blocks

Books

Markers, crayons, paper, sidewalk chalk

Balls and a hippity-hop for outdoor play

If there's room, I'd also go get a couple huge boxes from the furniture or appliance store.

These are the kinds of toys that have stood the test of time with my kids and have been played with from toddlerhood until now. I'd add Legos, too, but the littles are a bit young for that.

Cat

A play kitchen w/ pots/pans and some food. Lots of Duplo blocks, books, tinker toys, lincoln logs, dress up clothes (we liked to buy halloween costumes on sale, or check thrift stores), pop up tents didn't last but my kids loved the pop up tunnels to crawl through. Some board games like guess who, clue jr., and an inexpensive swing set or sand box for the yard. Even a single rope swing that can be hung from a tree. Fischer price little people play set for the little will last for years.

sand box with a cover

Oh my gosh- I forgot about that! Our younger two had one and played with it for YEARS, and even when their older sisters were teenagers, we'd find the girls and their friends playing in the sand box. I know now it's not healthy, but we always bought that superfine white sand. It was like a beach!

My kids enjoyed/ played most with:

wooden blocks

magnets and a magnetic easel

art supplies and paper

(tape, scissors, markers, dry erase markers and boards...)

Legos

wooden train sets

balls of various sizes

crawling tunnel or tent

play kitchen and food

pretend cash register

small sets of animals (the type that come in tubes)

small stuffed animals

They do enjoy computers and computer games a lot also, so the above list is exclusive of that activity. ;)

With that many children and those ages I would spend at least $200 on standard wooden blocks. I bought my son his first set when he turned 1 and they are still played with every.single.day. We've bought a few other sets since then. They are simple, don't break, and are attractive enough to keep in the living room.

I would take the other $100 and put together a small basket of Schleich animal figures, cars, trains, Playmobil people figures, and maybe some wooden dollhouse furniture. All of this stuff + blocks = 90% of the toy play in our house. If I had to do it again I would have skipped the play kitchen (we have a lovely home built one) and just gone with the above.

I try to keep it simple around here.

We have:

Legos

Matchbox cars and a couple of simple racetracks

Trains with some mix and match tracks

play food and dishes

blocks

dolls with clothing and other accessories

dress up clothes (mostly scarfs and some boy stuff)

Little People and some action figures that found there way in via grandparents

Melissa and Doug stuff is always welcomed around here

For outside I always have:

Jump ropes

balls

hula hoops

bubbles

sidewalk chalk

a kiddie pool

some digging toys (shovels, buckets, watering can..)

Also art supplies. Playdough, paints, markers, lots and lots of blank paper, crayons, coloring pencils, stencils, stickers.. the list is endless.