Menu

Looks like they are on to us (Reading Eggs)

So I took advantage of the mega codes a while back and got my kids subscriptions up till 2016.

Just noticed today that they have all been reverted back to March 2012 :sad:

I did have a paid subscription good till August and I still have that but the extra time has been taken off.

Then I got an email saying our free trial is ending soon.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm guessing the people at Reading Eggs are just going through the list and they will all be revoked eventually.

My DS will be so sad -he loved having his own subscription and in the few weeks he played had passed my DD who has been playing for a few months already. I don't have the money to subscribe him as well.

Oh well - it was fun while it lasted.

I wondered if that was going to happen. I checked our account and it still says the 1470 days for now. I would understand if they get taken away, but on the other hand I feel like they should have realized putting all those free codes out there could end up like this.

Mine still seems to be good for now, but yeah I will be a bit annoyed if they take them away. It seems absurd that they set their system up to take multiple codes, they issued a TON of codes, they never expired any of their codes, and then they do this when people use multiple unexpired codes. My DD will be very disappointed if it happens though. I don't know if I'd pay or not, right after they chose not to honor their own promotions.

That stinks.

Our trial just ended last week and my dd's are both really BUMMED out. We enjoyed it free for almost 4 months though. I just can't afford the cost for all 3 of my kids.

We're doing funnix and the kids are soaking up the skills and doing great. And although my dd6.5 misses the "game" aspect of reading eggs she's soaking up funnix big time! And my dd8.5 wasn't missing the "reading books" aspect of reading eggspress. So she's loving funnix...even though she still has to read! lol!

I feel your loss though. Wish reading eggs offered a FAMILY discount. I know they offer a discount for multiple purchases, but I'd wish they'd make a cap on the price PER family. I know I'm dreaming over here.:lol:

I wondered if that was going to happen. I checked our account and it still says the 1470 days for now. I would understand if they get taken away, but on the other hand I feel like they should have realized putting all those free codes out there could end up like this.

stupid question but I have been trying for a while and i am tired of it :D How/where did you check your account? As soon as I log in it takes me to reading eggs.

TIA

ETA: I think that means I am caught too. But I still wish I knew when my trial ends.

Edited by kwg

Here is another email I just received

Dear Parent,

This is a courtesy email to advise you that Reading Eggs recently had a technical glitch in the system, which resulted in users being able to enter a large number of Reading Eggs promotional free access codes.

We would like to inform you that the technology glitch has now been fixed and your account has also been amended to reflect our policy, as per our terms and conditions, which allow users only to enter a maximum of two promotional codes.

We hope you will agree that Reading Eggs makes a real difference in helping children learn to read and that you will want to buy a subscription when you free trial period expires.

If you have any questions relating to your account please do not hesitate to contact our customer service team on 02 8585 4020

Kind regards,

Shealley

Edited by sewingmama

Mine still says 2016 as well. If it changes, I won't be buying it. My kids loved it for a few days, now they have no interest in it. As long as I have the trial, I will try it with DD, but she really needs tye one on one with me for reading instruction, not the conputer.

That would be crummy business practice. They never had it set where the codes could not be used they have no one to blame but themselves.

Honestly I don't blame a business at all for revoking when folks take advantage of a loophole like that. When I saw it at first I suspected it was not supposed to work like that. A few weeks? Sure. Maybe even 3 months? But not years and years.

I only added a year worth of codes and so far mine are still there. I read here, and just checked, that halfoffdepot.com has a year for $37. Does anyone know how often they have this discount? It doesn't appear to have a "time left" countdown like other offers on their site. I would be willing to pay $37, epecially if they are going to remove the codes from my account. But on the other hand I don't want to buy it now if they aren't going to remove the codes and would wait until we are closer to renewing.

I think it's off putting to revoke someone's free trial. As a business, they made a mistake, put out too many codes, and let people enter more than two codes. I highly doubt anyone whose free trial was cut has warm feelings about it, and I doubt that many people bothered with all those codes. Whatever.

PBS kids island has activities, trackable, and free.

http://pbskids.org/island/play.html

:(

I mean, I get it and all, not going to argue there. I'm just saying 'that stinks' because my kids have had fun with it. I don't think it is something I would spend the money on, personally. But the kids have enjoyed it, I think they'll be sad (momentarily) to not have the access to it anymore.

I jumped in with the codes, wishful thinking :)

I only added six months and so far my codes are still there. I'm hoping they stay because my girls (5 and 2) like it. I can understand why Reading Eggs would limit the freebies (I don't think the code programmers realized that it could be abused so that someone could get the whole program for free), but I hope that they let us keep ours.

Christine

So far my account still reflects all the codes, but the website has changed. Before, when I logged in there was a box on the top right of the screen that showed the number of days left. Now it is just white space. I can see the days/coupon codes on my account by clicking on the link for "My Account", then "Manage My Subscriptions".

Does anyone know if the policies did state a limit on coupon codes when the list was first posted??

I think it's off putting to revoke someone's free trial. As a business, they made a mistake, put out too many codes, and let people enter more than two codes. I highly doubt anyone whose free trial was cut has warm feelings about it, and I doubt that many people bothered with all those codes. Whatever.

I agree with this. I doubt I will be renewing once my paid subscription runs out. It isn't just the codes - I always knew there was a risk of them shutting that down.

They did a similar thing when they had RE listed at Homeschool buyers for $16. They cancelled the offer because too many people were taking it up :glare: Honestly, they should have just sucked it up as a lesson for next time.

I'm also annoyed that I seem to be the only person who has had my codes cancelled - why aren't they doing it to everyone if that is their "policy".

Recently in a new report into public education here in Australia it was found that the top socio-economic groups had a 3% rate of kids reading below grade level whilest the poorer sections of society had a rate of 86% of kids reading at below grade level :001_huh: The fact that Reading Eggs caters to the top socio-economic group (because they are the ones who can afford it) when they are the ones who least need it really annoys me.

If RE really aims to help childrens literacy as they claim then they should at least offer family memberships or payment plans so those without the means can have a better chance of accessing it. For all their ploys I've seen so far it seems to me that they are really just after the most money they can get from everyone.

I use Maths Online which costs more then RE BUT it offers a monthly payment plan, a 60% discount for home schoolers (yay) and discounted family membership.

Unless I find a realy good discount when our subscription runs out I won't be renewing -I just don't like the way they conduct their business.

I'm actually about to shoot them an email voicing my displeasure in their practices.

Edited by sewingmama

Okay - scathing email sent -lets see if I get a reply. ;)

(Oh and most of the "scathe" was not about revoking the codes -it was about their business practices in general and not making their program more accessible by offering family memberships and payment plans)

I only added six months and so far my codes are still there. I'm hoping they stay because my girls (5 and 2) like it. I can understand why Reading Eggs would limit the freebies (I don't think the code programmers realized that it could be abused so that someone could get the whole program for free), but I hope that they let us keep ours.

Christine

Frankly, if the programmers didn't know that allowing an infinite number of codes, and allowing them to stack like that, then continually issuing codes and never expiring any of them was going to lead to this, then they need to hire better programmers.

The way I see it is that either they knew and chose to take the risk, or they are hiring incompetent people. Either way, the better business practice would be to change the policy and program while "grandfathering" in the people who used the codes under the old policy.

So far I still have my free trials for DD. If they leave them alone, I'd seriously consider paying to keep the program if she continues to be interested in it, and maybe getting it for the twins when they are old enough. But if they go cancelling promotions because they offered too good of a deal and too many people took advantage of it? That's going to leave a pretty sour taste in my mouth and I will probably take my business elsewhere.

Okay - scathing email sent -lets see if I get a reply. ;)

(Oh and most of the "scathe" was not about revoking the codes -it was about their business practices in general and not making their program more accessible by offering family memberships and payment plans)

Hmm, I suspect the email will mean more will lose their free subscriptions, just based on what I've seen in similar situations. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Hmm, I suspect the email will mean more will lose their free subscriptions, just based on what I've seen in similar situations. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Well if they are telling me that it is against their policy to use multiple subscriptions then that policy should be the same for everyone shouldn't it ?

Anyway -as I said - most of my email was in regards to them not providing more flexible options in payment plans so that more people can access their program and expressing my disatisfaction with their business practices in regard to the Homeschool Buyers episode.

After all - they did encourage me to email them if I had any issues or questions -and I do ;)

And I sort of have the feeling that they are picking on Australians because there is a huge reluctance to give any sort of discount coupon here - it just doesn't happen. They will most likely leave the Americans using the American site alone since doubling coupons and such is an accepted practice there.

Edited by sewingmama

Well if they are telling me that it is against their policy to use multiple subscriptions then that policy should be the same for everyone shouldn't it ?

Anyway -as I said - most of my email was in regards to them not providing more flexible options in payment plans so that more people can access their program and expressing my disatisfaction with their business practices in regard to the Homeschool Buyers episode.

After all - they did encourage me to email them if I had any issues or questions -and I do ;)

And I sort of have the feeling that they are picking on Australians because there is a huge reluctance to give any sort of discount coupon here - it just doesn't happen. They will most likely leave the Americans using the American site alone since doubling coupons and such is an accepted practice there.

I'm not picking on you, I totally understand your frustration.

But then again, you are an Aussie, and I know how you people are... :tongue_smilie:

(FoTCs -- ignore rude hand gesture in the first 3 seconds)

So far my account still reflects all the codes, but the website has changed. Before, when I logged in there was a box on the top right of the screen that showed the number of days left. Now it is just white space. I can see the days/coupon codes on my account by clicking on the link for "My Account", then "Manage My Subscriptions".

Does anyone know if the policies did state a limit on coupon codes when the list was first posted??

This is how mine is too.

I think they should just let everyone keep the trials. In general, if a business screws up in the customer's favor, saying, "Oh, sorry, we'll need that back," isn't good business practice. If they would have put up a little note on the site saying, "Oops, well, enjoy your four years and tell your friends," they would have gotten a ton of positive publicity in the hsing community.

I agree with this. I doubt I will be renewing once my paid subscription runs out. It isn't just the codes - I always knew there was a risk of them shutting that down.

They did a similar thing when they had RE listed at Homeschool buyers for $16. They cancelled the offer because too many people were taking it up :glare: Honestly, they should have just sucked it up as a lesson for next time.

I'm also annoyed that I seem to be the only person who has had my codes cancelled - why aren't they doing it to everyone if that is their "policy".

Recently in a new report into public education here in Australia it was found that the top socio-economic groups had a 3% rate of kids reading below grade level whilest the poorer sections of society had a rate of 86% of kids reading at below grade level :001_huh: The fact that Reading Eggs caters to the top socio-economic group (because they are the ones who can afford it) when they are the ones who least need it really annoys me.

If RE really aims to help childrens literacy as they claim then they should at least offer family memberships or payment plans so those without the means can have a better chance of accessing it. For all their ploys I've seen so far it seems to me that they are really just after the most money they can get from everyone.

I use Maths Online which costs more then RE BUT it offers a monthly payment plan, a 60% discount for home schoolers (yay) and discounted family membership.

Unless I find a realy good discount when our subscription runs out I won't be renewing -I just don't like the way they conduct their business.

I'm actually about to shoot them an email voicing my displeasure in their practices.

I'm confused. How much is it in Australia? A subscription on the payment plan is 10 bucks a month here. How is something that is only $10 a month catering to high socioeconomic levels?

I think they should just let everyone keep the trials. In general, if a business screws up in the customer's favor, saying, "Oh, sorry, we'll need that back," isn't good business practice. If they would have put up a little note on the site saying, "Oops, well, enjoy your four years and tell your friends," they would have gotten a ton of positive publicity in the hsing community.

I can see why they might rescind four years of codes, however. If a slew of people are using the service and not paying, would they be able to keep the site available? They have to generate revenue somehow. With the amount of people having access to the codes I can see their income source slowing considerably.

I agree this is an employee issue. Who thought undated codes were a good idea? Didn't they foresee this becoming an issue?

I'm generally all for a company honoring things like this (like the Amazon/Oxford book debacle), however, in this case I'd can see a concession so that they can continue to be in business.

I can see why they might rescind four years of codes, however. If a slew of people are using the service and not paying, would they be able to keep the site available? They have to generate revenue somehow. With the amount of people having access to the codes I can see their income source slowing considerably.

I agree this is an employee issue. Who thought undated codes were a good idea? Didn't they foresee this becoming an issue?

I'm generally all for a company honoring things like this (like the Amazon/Oxford book debacle), however, in this case I'd can see a concession so that they can continue to be in business.

And what if each of those customers with 4 free years tells just two friends how much their kids loved Reading Eggs? What if, by rescinding the codes, they piss everyone off and each of those customers complains to one friend about Reading Eggs? Which sounds like a better business move?

If there was truly no way for them to keep the website up because they were just flooded by the free codes, then I could see why they would do it. However, given the size of reading eggs and the likelihood that this will actually draw more customers, I would be very surprised if they could not absorb it.

And what if each of those customers with 4 free years tells just two friends how much their kids loved Reading Eggs? What if, by rescinding the codes, they piss everyone off and each of those customers complains to one friend about Reading Eggs? Which sounds like a better business move?

If there was truly no way for them to keep the website up because they were just flooded by the free codes, then I could see why they would do it. However, given the size of reading eggs and the likelihood that this will actually draw more customers, I would be very surprised if they could not absorb it.

:iagree: Plus, how many of us who got the free trial would ever have paid for it? I wouldn't have. So it's not as if they're losing the money for each person who used the codes.

:iagree: Plus, how many of us who got the free trial would ever have paid for it? I wouldn't have. So it's not as if they're losing the money for each person who used the codes.

I wouldn't have. And I have three children, only one of whom has the free codes. If I like the program enough, I may now be motivated to pay for it for my younger kids.

I'm confused. How much is it in Australia? A subscription on the payment plan is 10 bucks a month here. How is something that is only $10 a month catering to high socioeconomic levels?

Ok - my bad. They must have just recently changed that because when I last went to subscribe it was lump sum payments only with no discount for a second child.

Maybe they changed it over when they added Reading Express recently ???

So I take that back and apologise.

If a slew of people are using the service and not paying, would they be able to keep the site available?

Just about every school in Australia has a subscription and I think then their students can use it for free in the classroom. I also know tons of people who bought a paid subscription for their kid to use at home because they liked using it so much at school and the teacher's recommend to parents to buy an at home subscription. They get plenty of business. The books are sold in tons of department stores here - the stores set up extra displays at the back to school sales of their readers and workbooks -most people here have heard of it if they have a school age child.

Edited by sewingmama

I agree

There were numerous people on TWTM that admitted they had never even heard of Reading Eggs before the Code post.

I think the opposite is more likely to happen -that people would have the free trial and their kids would enjoy it so much they would keep paying. I had intended to pay for it after the free trial ended -my youngest would have been using it by then.

I currently do have a paid subscription that I just added onto - so it wasn't like I was getting it totally for free.

I only signed up because it was free. I would not pay for it.

There is a $10 per month option, no discount for a second child. That is $240 a year for me. They annual option is $75, with half off the second child. That is half the monthly total for two kids. I don't have an extra $100+ for a website. We have a webkinz account because my mom gives the kids webkinz. Even if I had to buy a new one each year we can keep that up for $20 a year...plus we get a stuffed animal :)

While I agree it might not be good business sense to upset a whole host of potential customers I think it is not outside the bounds of behavoir. FWIW, in a contract setting if one party makes an offer that the other party knows is TOO good to be true (like years and years of free product) and the second party accepts that offer - the first party can back out when they discover the mistake. So, if you know there must be some mistake allowing something to happen don't be too surprised if the other party attempts to withdraw their mistake. It is life, people are human, and companies are run by people.

While I agree it might not be good business sense to upset a whole host of potential customers I think it is not outside the bounds of behavoir. FWIW, in a contract setting if one party makes an offer that the other party knows is TOO good to be true (like years and years of free product) and the second party accepts that offer - the first party can back out when they discover the mistake. So, if you know there must be some mistake allowing something to happen don't be too surprised if the other party attempts to withdraw their mistake. It is life, people are human, and companies are run by people.

:iagree:

Come on... We all KNEW we were just working the system...squeezing through a loophole. :tongue_smilie: And deep down we had a suspicion they would catch on eventually. ;) So I don't think we should march down the path of righteous indignation.

Is it overpriced? Sure. But that is a different topic from "We were taking advantage of a glitch in their system and we got busted... Bummer". I would never bad-mouth a good program for that.

Moral of the day: If something seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Oh I agree they have the RIGHT to do it. I'm not going to press charges or something. However, we also have the right to be annoyed and a little PO'd about it as well. If a store has an item marked incorrectly, then they figure it out when the customer goes to pay, they should honor the marked price. I would be annoyed if they did any differently, and I would likely choose to take my business elsewhere.

Oh I agree they have the RIGHT to do it. I'm not going to press charges or something. However, we also have the right to be annoyed and a little PO'd about it as well. If a store has an item marked incorrectly, then they figure it out when the customer goes to pay, they should honor the marked price. I would be annoyed if they did any differently, and I would likely choose to take my business elsewhere.

See, I would do the exact opposite. If I saw a designer purse marked at $50 and I knew it was worth $500, I would assume it was a mistake (people do make mistakes) and I would ask a salesperson if that was the right price. I would not try to take advantage of someone else's mistake then get mad at them for not letting me.

Just recently we bought a high chair. The salesgirl was new and had just recently tagged it incorrectly. When they scanned it at the register the real... much higher... price came up. Should I capitalize on her mistake? Feel entitled to and demand the lower price? No. It was a simple mistake.

:iagree:

Come on... We all KNEW we were just working the system...squeezing through a loophole. :tongue_smilie: And deep down we had a suspicion they would catch on eventually. ;) So I don't think we should march down the path of righteous indignation.

Is it overpriced? Sure. But that is a different topic from "We were taking advantage of a glitch in their system and we got busted... Bummer". I would never bad-mouth a good program for that.

Moral of the day: If something seems to good to be true, it usually is.

:iagree: Absolutely. It seems obvious to me, to the point that I probably wouldn't have even bothered inputting all the codes in the first place.

Cassy

See, I would do the exact opposite. If I saw a designer purse marked at $50 and I knew it was worth $500, I would assume it was a mistake (people do make mistakes) and I would ask a salesperson if that was the right price. I would not try to take advantage of someone else's mistake then get mad at them for not letting me.

Just recently we bought a high chair. The salesgirl was new and had just recently tagged it incorrectly. When they scanned it at the register the real... much higher... price came up. Should I capitalize on her mistake? Feel entitled to and demand the lower price? No. It was a simple mistake.

My min and sister went to Barney's the first time they were in New York. They did not intend to buy anything. They just wanted to look around. They foundba rack of dresses marked $200 on the tag. They tried them on. While in the dressing room, a sales person discovered the price and file my mom it was really $1000, but they would sell them one dress at the marked price.

In my opinion, that is good customer service. Will I bad mouth reading eggs if they cancel my free codes, no; but I won't pay for of because I am not that impressed with ot anyway.

The dress my mom and sister purchased was not pretty....they would jever have paid full price for it, but we have shared that ugly Barney's dress for 15 years ;)