Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 8

I've made it to page 98 of Moby Dick. Can see it's going to be a slow read.

I just finished that book. I'm a fast reader and that book took me weeks to get through. There are many authors that I read in high school that I've read again as an adult and really enjoyed. I didn't read MB in high school but I did read Billy Budd. I hated it then and I hate it now. The story and characters were interesting in MB but I'm just not a fan of Herman Melville's writing style.

Right now I'm reading The Clan of the Cave Bear, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and some Chekhov stories in the original Russian.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished #9, Gone by Mo Hayden. I found it on the link that Robin posted back on week 4 for the Edgar Allen Poe Award Nominees. It was intense! The author does a great job of keeping you in the dark until the last possible moment. I really liked this book but I feel I should warn you if you plan to read it, the author uses one four letter word in particular several times, that is extremely offensive to women. I was kind of shocked to see it in a book by a female author. Having said that, I still thought this was a great book. I'm looking forward to reading some other books that were nominated. Thanks for posting that link, Robin :) .

I'm looking for a book suggestion. Something romancy and light. I don't mind overly *ahem* smutty but prefer something not. Anything set in England is awesome. Or WWII. Normally I'm a big mystery reader but I'm looking for something different. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by aggieamy

since we have all read so many books, we would have PLENTY to discuss. ;)

Yep. :D

there's no way I could have found a sense of hope at the end of Pi.

This, for me, is key, both in books and in movies. When there's no sense of hope, I get very down and feel depressed for the longest while.

:grouphug: I generally have a hard time doing sad books these days too.

Me too. This is why I couldn't read much of Malcolm X's book. There was only so much of the KKK horrors that were inflicted on their family and the baby almost being crushed to death, etc. - that I could handle. I just can't take it these days. Interesting that I was able to handle the North Korea book - Nothing to Envy - maybe it was her style or something. I don't know.

I'm ready to hop on a plane!

I'm ready for you to hop on a plane and head this way. :grouphug:

I'm looking for a book suggestion. Something romancy and light. I don't mind overly *ahem* smutty but prefer something not. Anything set in England is awesome. Or WWII. Normally I'm a big mystery reader but I'm looking for something different. Thanks for any suggestions.

Romancy, light, set in England, WWII ...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - fits all 4 categories that you're looking for

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven - romancy (not overly romancy) and light. Fannie Flagg is fabulous - fairly romancy and light.

The Housekeeper and the Professor - fairly light, but may not be what you're looking for. An easy and pleasant read, however.

Any of the Maeve Binchy books - romancy, light, set in Ireland - I love Maeve Binchy, but prefer her older stuff. I've read them all.

I'm skipped a week of posting, but I'm still reading. I finished Catherine the Great, which I enjoyed and thought was really well written. However, I'm having trouble finding my next book to read. I have plenty to choose from, I'm just being indecisive.

52/52

6. Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie

5. God's Smuggler by John Sherrill and Brother Andrew

4. Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

3. Persuasion by Jane Austen

2. All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

1. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Edited by mom22es
spelling error due to late night posting

I'm late posting this week. Since last week, I've read:

I'm A Stranger Here Myself-Bill Bryson. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to trying some of his other books.

I started Written in Time by James and Sharen Ahern. I won't be finishing it, it isn't worth my time, IMO. It was like eating junk food when you want a meal, cheap junk food at that. I had had hopes for it, being a time travel book and all.

I started Ahab's Wife yesterday, and at 1/4 of the way through am loving it already. It has sucked me in. I was kind of worried I wouldn't like it, but it is a very elegantly written book. The style reminds me a little of Daphne DuMaurier.

I'm A Stranger Here Myself-Bill Bryson. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to trying some of his other books.

This has been on my wish list for some time. Waiting for the Kindle price to drop. Waiting patiently. :toetap05:

I started Ahab's Wife yesterday, and at 1/4 of the way through am loving it already. It has sucked me in. I was kind of worried I wouldn't like it, but it is a very elegantly written book. The style reminds me a little of Daphne DuMaurier.

This is good to hear :). I like Daphne DuMaurier, or at least, Rebecca, as a teen. Maybe there is hope for me after all, once I take this book on ... I've been cautiously avoiding it. :tongue_smilie:

Okay, I was inspired by the other thread (the one about fluffy reading) to open up this one and join in. Although I then typed out a list which mysteriously disappeared before I posted it, which isn't an auspicious way to start out. Anyway, I'll try again ....

This week's read:

1.Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Fairly predictable (well, considering that Cinderella has been recast as a cyborg in futuristic Asia), but still fun. First novel for this author, YA, part one of 4 books in series. I plan to read more when they're published.

Also,

2. Science of Sexy by Bradley Bayou. Really, you only have to read about 10 pages of this -- his general thoughts (wear clothes that flatter the parts you want to flatter), how to measure for the metrics (I sew, so knew all of this already), then the specific pages that have to do with your specific shape. And nothing on those pages was anything new. No magic bullets here. Sigh.

Other stuff I remember reading so far this year:

3. Wool by Hugh Howey

4. Wool 2: Proper Gauge by Hugh Howey

5. Wool 3: Casting Off by Hugh Howey

6. Wool 4: The Unraveling by Hugh Howey

7. Wool 5: The Stranded by Hugh Howey

I loved these books, and am a total Hugh Howey/Wool groupie now. I want the tshirt, I want to read every book he's written, I'm hoping BBC makes it into a television series. I might reread them later this week.

I have two general questions for this thread. Is it okay to count children's books? I added All-of-a-Kind Family to my reading list because I've heard such good things about it but it's a children's book.

Is it okay for me to keep udating the thread with what I read during the week or should I just have one update post when the week is finished? I don't want to clog this thread up my posts if that's not the way it supposed to be done.

Finished this week:

10. The High Window by Raymond Chandler (Just what I expect from a Phillip Marlowe book. A fast read and I had no idea who the killer was until he explained it. ****)

9. Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson (my third YA for the year - kept me up until 1:30 am reading but the ending was a let down. Think I'm going to give up on YA for awhile. **)

8. The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie (my first Miss Marple mystery - not what I expected but I enjoyed it. I'm really enjoying the mysteries lately. ****)

In progress:

All Quiet on the Western Front by Enrich Maria Remarque (for book club)

Ginger Pye by Elanor Estes YA (our current read aloud)

The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison (my current audiobook)

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa (recommended here - going to read for my ladies book club)

All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor

2012 finished books:

7. The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler (****)

6. What I Wore by Jessica Quirk (**)

5. How Not to Look Old by Charla Krupp (*)

4. The Georgraphy of Bliss by Eric Weiner (***)

3. The Inquisitor's Apprentice by Chris Moriarty YA (*)

2. The Anybodies by NE Bode YA (**)

1. The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi (****)

Read alouds 2012:

The Twenty One Balloons by William Pene du Bois YA (****)

Yep. :D

Romancy, light, set in England, WWII ...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - fits all 4 categories that you're looking for

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven - romancy (not overly romancy) and light. Fannie Flagg is fabulous - fairly romancy and light.

The Housekeeper and the Professor - fairly light, but may not be what you're looking for. An easy and pleasant read, however.

Any of the Maeve Binchy books - romancy, light, set in Ireland - I love Maeve Binchy, but prefer her older stuff. I've read them all.

Thank you Negin! Just the type of suggestions I was hoping for.

I have two general questions for this thread.

Answers to both are basically the same - yes, perfectly fine.

Some update the thread regularly.

Others update once a week.

Either way seems fine.

Thank you Negin! Just the type of suggestions I was hoping for.

You're most welcome. :grouphug: Hope you find something you like.

This is so interesting! I really loved Life of Pi. I think the 'believe in God' part comes from the idea that literal and figurative truth can co-exist, and that figurative truth is in no way less true than literal truth, and our survival depends on our ability to believe in something more than cold facts. I ended the book feeling hopeful in a weird way.

:iagree: I'm having trouble understanding why so many people dislike the book and find it soul crushing. My first reaction after I read it was, wow, I've got to read that again! I bought it and read it again, and I still don't see the problem others have with the book. It is on my list of all time favorites. Maybe I'm wierd.

If any of you are Stephen King fans I highly, highly recommend his Dark Tower Series.

I really loved that series, too!

So, I'm still in the middle of Stephen King's "11/22/63" this week, currently on page 437 of 849 (does this count as two books? haha), and you're not going to believe what happened to me.

There I am reading it late last night, and I get up to page 404. It's nearly midnight and I can barely put the book down, and this is what I read at the bottom of page 404:

I saw my own invitation lying next to my typewriter, and felt a

I go on to page "405" and read:

"It makes me feel bad, too," I said, "but it's probably for the best."

I do a double take. Huh? Because of course that didn't make sense. I look again to see where I missed a word. But I didn't miss a word- it says the same thing, and it still doesn't make sense. My eyes are tired, it's late, I read a third time. Finally, I look at the page numbers and see that the pages skip from page 404 to page 437. 31 pages are MISSING.

Not as in torn out. As in, NEVER PUT IN.

A quick Google search via my iphone tells me this has happened to other people, too. Apparently, some of these books are just defective and have to be returned and exchanged! I got this one from a library and I was SO aggravated! Fortunately, my husband was able somehow to find me the missing text online somewhere, which I read at my computer this morning, and I'm now able to pick up where I left off in this defective book!

When I bring it back to the library, I will have to tell the librarian to throw it out or something, so someone else doesn't get as frustrated as I nearly did. Ugh! If YOU pick up this book, check it before you take it home!

Anyway...

COMPLETED THIS YEAR:

1. Envy, by J.R. Ward (Fallen Angels series)

2. Kiss of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

3. The Ramayana, A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic, by R.K. Narayan (with my daughter for school reading)

4. Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

5. The Immortal Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

6. Spell of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

IN PROGRESS:

7. The Traveler, by John Twelve Hawks

8. 11/22/63, by Stephen King:

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? In this brilliantly conceived tour de force, Stephen King- who has absorbed the social, political, and popular culture of his generation more imaginatively and thoroughly than any other writer- takes readers on an incredible journey into the past and the possibility of altering it.

It begins with Jake Epping, a thirty-five-year-old English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching GED classes. He asks his students to write about an event that changed their lives, and one essay blows him away- a gruesome, harrowing story about the night more than fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a sledgehammer.

Reading the essay is a watershed moment for Jake, his life- like Harry's, like America's in 1963- turning on a dime. Not much later his friend Al, who owns the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to the past, a particular day in 1958. And Al enlists Jake to take over the mission that has become his obsession- to prevent the Kennedy assassination.

So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson, in a different world of Ike and JFK and Elvis, of big American cars and sock hops and cigarette smoke everywhere. From the dank little city of Derry, Maine (where there's Dunning business to conduct), to the warmhearted small town of Jodie, Texas, where Jake falls dangerously in love, every turn is leading eventually, of course, to a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and to Dallas, where the past becomes heart-stoppingly suspenseful, and where history might not be history anymore.

Time-travel has never been so believable. Or so terrifying.

So. So. Good. :001_wub: (Except for the missing pages). LOL.

Edited by NanceXToo

:iagree: I'm having trouble understanding why so many people dislike the book and find it soul crushing. My first reaction after I read it was, wow, I've got to read that again! I bought it and read it again, and I still don't see the problem others have with the book. It is on my list of all time favorites. Maybe I'm wierd.

If so, I'm weird right there with you. :D

Right now I'm reading:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot---Just started this and can't put it down, it is a good look at how race relations affected medical research back in the 40s and 50s.

My name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira---Really interesting hist. fic. about a midwife in the Civil War who wants to become a doctor.

Paradise Valley by Dale Cramer--Haven't been able to finish it yet, I keep getting distracted by other books

The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson--really liking it so far

I've finished:

The Shallows by Nicholas Carr---interesting idea, but sad there is no resolution for what we should do about it.

Open by Andre Agassi--Excellent

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold---not a fan

The Girl who Kicked the Dragon Tattoo by Larsson--Excellent

The Girl who Played with Fire by Larsson--Excellent

Catherine the Great by Massie---Quite interesting

The Light Horseman's Daughter by David Crookes--Fun interesting read

If any of you are Stephen King fans I highly, highly recommend his Dark Tower Series.

If you are thinking of books like Cujo and It thinking - no thanks, horror stories are not my cuppa - don't be deceived by preconceived notions about the author. This book does not fall under the horror genre but falls under many genres including western, fantasy, sci fi, love, and suspense.

Seriously, it is fantastic. Read it. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you! I've been eying these, but didn't want a horror series. I may try them.

Hi Friends!

We are smack dab in the middle of tournament season for speech and debate which always interferes with my personal time!:tongue_smilie:

So, I am still working on Outliers but am almost done. I think I have about 40 pages left. Interesting read!

I finished The Pact by Jodi Picoult. Fast read but I was disappointed with the ending. I didn't feel like I got enough resolution. I started reading Harvesting the Heart by the same author. I'm about 30% done with that one.

I have to say that I am enjoying e-lending from my library! That's how I've secured each of these books.

I'm headed to the library after dinner with a list including some books I've seen in this very thread!:)

Have you ever read Elswyth Thane's "Williamsburg Series"? You might like it . . . historical fiction (Revolution [volume 1] through WWII [volumes 6-7]), some novels set mostly in England, romancy . . .

I've read this series several times, most recently last year, and always enjoy it . . . Once I start volume one, I read the series straight through - can't help it!

Here is what Wikipedia says:

Thane is most famous for her "Williamsburg" series of historical fiction. The books cover several generations of two families from the American Revolutionary War up to World War II. In later books, the action moves from Williamsburg to New York City, Richmond, Virginia and England. The novels are, in chronological order:

Dawn's Early Light (1943)

Yankee Stranger (1944)

Ever After (1945)

The Light Heart (1947)

Kissing Kin (1948)

This Was Tomorrow (1951)

Homing (1957)

I have two general questions for this thread. Is it okay to count children's books? I added All-of-a-Kind Family to my reading list because I've heard such good things about it but it's a children's book.

Is it okay for me to keep updating the thread with what I read during the week or should I just have one update post when the week is finished? I don't want to clog this thread up my posts if that's not the way it supposed to be done.

Here's the rule of thumb for children's books. It's posted on the 52 books blog as well " in reference to children books. If it is a child whose reading it and involved in the challenge, then that's okay. If an adult is doing read aloud with kids, the book should be geared for the 9 - 12 age group and above and over 100 pages. If adult reading for own enjoyment, then a good rule of thumb to go by "is there some complexity to the story or is it too simple?" If it's too simple, then doesn't count."

You can update as much as you want. There aren't any limits where that's concerned. Lots of book conversations going on throughout the week. :001_smile:

And, thanks to Audio Books, I'm caught up! Miracle of Miracles.

I finished A Praying Life by Paul E Miller tonight. I really liked it and found a great deal of encouragement in it.

2012 Books Reviews

1. Lit! by Tony Reinke

2. Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic

3. Words to Eat By by Ina Lipkowitz

4. How to Tutor Your Own Child by Marina Koestler Ruben

5. Evening in the Palace of Reason by James R Gaines (spectacular)

6. The Cat of Bubastes by GA Henty (Audio from Librivox)

7. The Last Battle by C S Lewis (Audiobook)

8. A Praying Life by Paul E Miller

How did you like it?

I read The Sparrow quite a few years ago & really enjoyed it. Well, 'enjoy' is not the right word, perhaps. I thought it was well written & thought-provoking. It was a great book club book as there was lots to discuss. It was sad & depressing in parts, yet I didn't feel the same soul-crushing loss as I did w/ Life of Pi. Different books just strike different chords in people.... ! :D

I agree on this as I've read both books. I should add that it took me years to read the sequel to The Sparrow because it was so disturbing, but someone on this thread helped me decide to read it (can't thnk of the title off the top of my head). The sequel was worth reading, IMO.

Shhh, don't spread this around because I'm not normally a romance reader, but someone here (I hope it wasn't you) posted about a humourous book that is a take off of Pygmalian. As an avid theatre buff for years, I wanted to read this reverse Pygmalian. I hate smut, and it does go a bit farther than I like, but it is not overtly smutty. It's called The Proposition by Judith Ivory.

Thanks all who responded about Life of Pi! It's still on my to-read list. :)

Good decision--you have to try it out for yourself & it did win the Booker Prize or something like that. I dd finish it even though I wasn't happy with the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the book.

Finished this week:

11. All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor YA (What a cute story! I never read this books as a kid but this was really sweet. ****)

10. The High Window by Raymond Chandler (Just what I expect from a Phillip Marlowe book. A fast read and I had no idea who the killer was until he explained it. ****)

9. Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson (my third YA for the year - kept me up until 1:30 am reading but the ending was a let down. Think I'm going to give up on YA for awhile. **)

8. The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie (my first Miss Marple mystery - not what I expected but I enjoyed it. I'm really enjoying the mysteries lately. ****)

In progress:

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa (recommended here - going to read for my ladies book club)

The Moving Finger: A Miss Marple Mystery by Agatha Christie

2012 finished books:

7. The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler (****)

Read alouds 2012:

Edited by aggieamy

Shhh, don't spread this around because I'm not normally a romance reader, but someone here (I hope it wasn't you) posted about a humourous book that is a take off of Pygmalian. As an avid theatre buff for years, I wanted to read this reverse Pygmalian. I hate smut, and it does go a bit farther than I like, but it is not overtly smutty. It's called The Proposition by Judith Ivory.

Ah, ha! That was me who recently posted about The Proposition. I'm glad you read it.

I'm looking for a book suggestion. Something romancy and light. I don't mind overly *ahem* smutty but prefer something not. Anything set in England is awesome.

In the historical romance arena, I'll recommend Lisa Kleypas' Wallflower series (starting with Secrets of a Summer Night)and Mary Balogh's Bedwyn series (starting with Slightly Married).

Regards,

Kareni

The Hunger Games

Catching Fire

Mockingjay

The Hunger Games Companion

The Naked Lady Who Stood on Her Head

Spontaneous Happiness

The New Bi-Polar Disorder Survival Guide.

New Hope for People with Bipolar Disorder

The Giver

Unnatural Selection

Half of the Shallows: What The Internet is Doing to Our Brains.

Halk of Overtreatment

Started on The Lost Empire of Atlantis.

I still have SK's 11/22/63 on the next list and the rest of these on the nightstand:

Sleep

Lights Outs

Queen Bees & Wanna Bees

Bullyproof You Child.

I got nothing, honey! I was reading a book that is 726 pages long and made it halfway through before getting tired of the book.

This week I'm reading Lillian Jackson Braun's Cat Who books and Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity series. The Aunt Dimity series is like a dream vacation. She lives in an English cottage in a small English town. I love cozy mysteries!

My mom mailed me an audio book of the The Cat Who Saw Red. I've been debating about listening since she and I have quite a different taste in books. After hearing how much you like these, I may give it a try. After Moby Dick, that is.

Completed in 2012

1. Animal Farm

2. Nineteen Eighty-four

3. Faherenheit 451

4. Hidden Mickey 3, finally finished

Currently reading Moby Dick.

Ready to start chapter 28 thanks to Libri Vox.

I sooo wanted to stay on track with my reading but alas, life has thrown me a few loops in the last month and it's just not possible. So I will re-commit to reading again. This week I am reading One thousand gifts by Ann Voskamp. I adore this book and highly recommend it. She is a beautiful writer and really opens your eyes to our relationship to the Lord! a must read

I have several I want to read for next week but my list is somewhere else at the moment:glare:....Happy Reading!

Jude Morgan books might fit the bill - Indiscretion:A Novel or An Accomplished Woman or A Little Folly

are all light romances in the style of Georgette Heyer -(have you read her?) mixed with Jane Austen. They aren't smutty, though. ;)

I finished Rose Cottage by Mary Stewart. Nice, quick read. I loved the author's Nine Coaches Waiting

and wanted to read another book of hers. This one jumped out at me because the main character has my maiden name and I don't usually see it too often.

Still trying to decide what to read next.

I love Mary Stewart! I haven't read Nine Coaches Waiting yet. I found a Book Club anthology that had it in it at the recent library sale. I should do that soon :)

Ah, ha! That was me who recently posted about The Proposition. I'm glad you read it.

Regards,

Kareni

I did, but I posted before I got the the smuttiest part :blushing:. It was fun due to the Pygmalian stuff, but not my regular readng fare. While I read the whole story, I can't say I read every word in that one chapter.

I'm really not good at reviews; is it OK to link to Amazon's reviews?

Is it your review on Amazon or random reviews? Random reviews folks can pretty much find on their own. If you want to link the books you read to the book link in amazon, that's fine. I usually link to amazon or barnes and noble depending on who has better information about the book.

Finished #19 Grace Walk by Steve McVey. Loved it. I highly recommend it if you're interested in learning about a grace-filled approach to life. I am in the midst of reading Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism by Spong. Very thoughtprovoking. I don't agree with all of it, but I like being challenged.

Finished reading The Princess Bride to my boys last night. I prefer the movie over the book for kids. The book is a lot more intense for one thing. Also, there is quite a bit of adult humor that my boys just didn't get. This is one of the rare times that I do enjoy the movie over book. The Count of Monte Cristo is another movie I prefer over the book.

I've been behind on my reading. I started a couple of books that weren't worth my while, so I abandoned them. I completed They Almost Always Come Home by Cynthia Ruchti. It's Christian fiction about a husband who vacations in the great northwoods of Canada, but he does not return home. Their marriage is in shambles, but his wife chooses to go look for him. Although it was a good read, the ending seemed kind of flat. It could have been my mood that day, however.

I just began Snow Flower and the Secret Fan last night. I am devouring it! I've yet to be steered wrong by book recommendations here! :001_smile: I'm hoping to finish it this weekend.

So far...

• Radical by David Platt
  • Made to Crave by Lysa Terkhurst
  • The Eve Tree by Rachel Devenish Ford
  • Breaking TWIG by Deborah Epperson
  • Chasing Rainbows by Kathleen Long
  • Clockwise by Elle Strauss
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach by Vincent Monastra
  • Imaginary Jesus by Matt Mikalatos
  • The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey
  • They Almost Always Come Home by Cynthia Ruchti

My MIL went to the hospital yesterday so I managed to get in a ton of reading while we were waiting for doctors and what not. DH was annoyed when I wanted to stop by the library on the way to the hospital but later agreed that he was glad we did because he managed to finish two books himself.

Finished this week:

14. Nim's Island by Wendy Orr YA (Cute, fun, light. A good read for sitting in a hospital waiting.***)

13. Abandon in Old Tokyo by Yoshihiro Tatsumi (What a sad, strange, depressing book. Too dark and creepy for me. *)

12. The Moving Finger: A Miss Marple Mystery by Agatha Christie (The story was good but Miss Marple didn't show up until the last 25% percent of the book and that seemed forced. ***)

11. All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor YA (What a cute story! I never read this book as a kid but this was really sweet. ****)

In progress:

Arabella by Georgette Heyer (a recommendation for my romancy request)

The Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christie (I just can't seem to get enough mysteries lately.)

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

2012 finished books:

7. Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler (****)

Read alouds 2012:

Edited by aggieamy

I am on a "young adult" kick. I read Where Things Come Back and Jasper Jones. The first one was the Printz Award winner and I really liked it. The second one was a Printz Honor book and it was too dark and sad for me (there was incest and suicide), but it was well written. It was by an Australian writer and had a lot of cricket coverage in it. I had no idea what he was talking about for those parts. I hope to move on to lighter fare for the next week.

I finished The Night Circus.

I'm in love with this book. Utterly enchanted. This story shows the loveliest form of words, the power of words to enchant, to entrall, to entertain. Imagination & dreams to carry you on a looping journey of magic, fantastic vistas, travel, performers, a circus, and the age-old tradition of storytelling itself.

A book for the dreamer in all of us.

A couple of quotes from the book, to me, sum up the beauty of this story as it completes the delightful circle of storytelling....

-----

"I find I think of myself not as a writer so much as someone who provides a gateway, a tangential route for readers to reach the circus. To visit the circus again, if only in their minds, when they are unable to attend it physically. I relay it through printed words on crumpled newsprint, words they can read again and again, returning to the circus whenever they wish, regardless of time of day or physical locaiton. Transporting them at will.

When put that way, it sounds rather like magic, doesn't it?"

-----

"It is important," the man in the grey suit interrupts. "Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative. There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict."