Menu

How much time do you take to pack a house?

Honestly, if I'm packing myself, I start as soon as I know we are moving or as soon as our current house is under contract. I like at least four weeks. I can do it in two but it's pushing it. If I have to wait to pack because we're showing the house or something I make sure I'm spending the time ruthlessly decluttering until I get the go-ahead to start packing. I usually start packing in earnest the same day the contract is signed to sell the current house.

I start packing in "layers," packing pictures and decor first that I don't "need." Then I pack off-season clothes, then start on books that aren't in current use, seasonal or occasional kitchen stuff, garage items, and stuff in closets. In the last week or so I start to get serious about what is in current use. The last day or two is the kitchen.

Professional movers scheduled three full days to pack our house, with two teams working at once. I think they finished early the third day, though. We have a LOT of books.

Moving is an odd thing. If I am packing gradually, it takes me much longer because I need to sort items that I need left out.

If I am moving quickly, I can pack quickly because things just get packed without thought.

I have moved, taking a month to sort and pack.

I have moved with just a couple of days notice.

At the end...the new house is cleaner if I take my time, because I can get rid of many things.

The last time we moved it took 4 packers (plus me and dh) 2 days to pack and load the entire house.

This is about right for the last time we moved, but Dh was at work. Total weight moved was almost 20,000 pounds. We'll be over that when we move this summer unless I purge a bunch of stuff. If I had to pack myself, I'd start now (several months ahead and store boxes in the basement or garage). As it is, I am sorting already.

So it sounds like the moral of the story is ... I can safely wait until 4 weeks before the move to do any packing. Or even less. Theoretically, I have two strong teen boys to help me, and two other fairly capable kids.

In some ways, I wish the move date wasn't so far out. I don't want to move from this area, but having a date 8 or so weeks from now is kind of like pulling off a bandage slowly. :glare:

The packing one day, truck loading the next day.

I could probably pack in less than a day... but I have small children so I'm planning on taking a leisurely 4-6 weeks this time. This allows plenty of time for going through stuff and tossing everything I don't want to move.

I can do it in one day. It's nice to have a few days though.

I don't even live on your planet. I've been married 18 years and in the same house for ten. I'd like a different house, but not badly enough to pack and move.

I don't even live on your planet. I've been married 18 years and in the same house for ten. I'd like a different house, but not badly enough to pack and move.

Really it's not that bad! LOL!

In the last almost 9 years, we have moved 4 times and will move again in June. This is the first time we have been somewhere three years. Next place we really should stay at least 4 years! HoweverI don't do the physical packing! LOL! I just sort of stand around and watch while they pack the boxes!

I've also come to realize I do less and less prep work/organizing with each move. The movers come and they do their thing! I try and stay out of the way.