Menu

DH asked me if I wanted to move to New Zealand.

It seems they are in need of electricians there, so he might find more steady employment than here, where there is a surplus.

Anybody here from New Zealand?

They want electricians under age 56 who are above a certain skill level and can go to work almost immediately. That's him. Why does New Zealand have a shortage of electricians?

Can anyone think of a good reason not to go to New Zealand? I'm kind of tired of Indiana, and not particularly interested in the religious and political infighting that America is enduring right now. Not to mention the recession, which is kicking my rear. Steady work in New Zealand kind of sounds OK.

It seems they are in need of electricians there, so he might find more steady employment than here, where there is a surplus.

They want electricians under age 56 who are above a certain skill level and can go to work almost immediately. That's him. Why does New Zealand have a shortage of electricians?

Can anyone think of a good reason not to go to New Zealand? I'm kind of tired of Indiana, and not particularly interested in the religious and political infighting that America is enduring right now. Not to mention the recession, which is kicking my rear. Steady work in New Zealand kind of sounds OK.

My will be seeing a surge of development and skilled trades are in high demand.

Why does New Zealand have a shortage of electricians?

This is a total stab in the dark because I am certainly not from there, but I do know that they have experienced quite a few earthquakes in the past few years.

I also read that the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has set new state-of-the-art guidelines for seismic retrofits (thanks to Wikipedia).

Just wondering if this is why they are interested in so many electricians at once?

Really? Where can I learn more about that? (Um, I'm sorry, but also, what exactly do you mean by the bolded?)

Uh Freudian slip I guess . . . I don't know why the word was bolded :).

I live in northern British Columbia and our neck of the world is experiencing development in oil and gas as well as mining.

Here's a useful link for some basic project information:

http://investnorthwestbc.ca/

Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions.

Interesting. That would take an army of skilled labor.

I don't know if DH is really wanting to do this or not, but it is February and I'm happy to think of doing something radically different with life. I hate February.

Down there you would have to hate August :D

Bill

Preliminary research shows an electrician of DH's level and experience making $60,000-ish/yr, maybe a bit more if he specializes. Could a family of 6 live on that in NZ?

Hi! We live in Wellington (the capital). Yes, it is lovely here. Yes, it is definitely a secular society. Yes, it is expensive. Yes, the government is homeschool friendly (no reporting at all, plus you would get about $2000/year for homeschool supplies)! I have no idea why we need electricians, except maybe that they are rebuilding Christchurch.

$60,000 for a family of 6.... Well, I think it depends on where you plan to live. You won't be taxed very highly because of the number of children you have, so most of that will be yours. $60,000 in Wellington would be pretty tight as far as I am concerned. To rent a house here would probably be at least $600/week and groceries would be $250/week for the size of your family. We spend $200/month on electricity and gas. Used cars (not a van) are about $10,000 for a 5 year old one. You do not need health insurance and your car insurance would be cheap because it does not include medical.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ruth in NZ

Hi! We live in Wellington (the capital). Yes, it is lovely here. Yes, it is definitely a secular society. Yes, it is expensive. Yes, the government is homeschool friendly (no reporting at all, plus you would get about $2000/year for homeschool supplies)! I have no idea why we need electricians, except maybe that they are rebuilding Christchurch.

$60,000 for a family of 6.... Well, I think it depends on where you plan to live. You won't be taxed very highly because of the number of children you have, so most of that will be yours. $60,000 in Wellington would be pretty tight as far as I am concerned. To rent a house here would probably be at least $600/week and groceries would be $250/week for the size of your family. We spend $200/month on electricity and gas. Used cars (not a van) are about $10,000 for a 5 year old one. You do not need health insurance and your car insurance would be cheap because it does not include medical.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ruth in NZ

:iagree: I live in Northland & unemployment is high up where I live. $60k sounds like a lot, but the cost of living is a lot higher here than what you spend in the States. Before dh was made redundant 18 months ago he was making $50k and we were almost breaking even most months. When you figure in that we had NO mortage or car payments, that will give you some idea of how much just day to day living costs. If I remember correctly $48k is the average yearly wage for families in NZ. Some make much more (i.e. CEOs) but many families make much, much less. Qualified tradesman will always be in demand somewhere in NZ, but not always where you would want to live. Dh found work in Christchurch as part of the EQ recovery. We were ok with him working away from home, but when he was asked to relocate the family to CHCH, we decided against it.

NZ is a wonderful place to live & raise a family. It's beautiful & HSing is fully accepted. Everyone has access to affordable medical care, but for some elective procedures you may need to go on a waitlist. Medical care for kids under age 6 is totally free & dental care is free for all children until they turn 18 if you use the school dental nurses. HSing families get a small supervisory allowance from the gov't twice a year, but PS is not free as families are expected to pay for stationary, school fees, school "donation", uniforms, etc. For ds#2 to go to our local PS for highschool last year it cost us over $2k when I add up all the misc. costs. NZ has a 15% gst on everything, including taxes :glare: 91oct gas is $2.07/litre in my town & our monthly power bill is ~$250 (we have solar hotwater & a woodstove for heating) Unless you get a house that was built quite recently, you'll find that the insillation & heating isn't what you're used to in Indiana. I grew up in VT & I feel colder here in the winter even though outside temperatures are no where as cold as VT. We only get 2-3 light frosts on a very cold winter each year. Food is very expensive, but the climate is mild so if you like to garden you can save a good amount by raising you own fruit & veg.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Blessings,

91oct gas is $2.07/litre in my town
:001_huh:

I thought it was bad enough here in Aus at $1.45.

DH keeps suggesting we move to New Zealand - I keep telling him of all the people I know who moved there and then moved back :lol:

Yes it's an expensive place to live although I tempted by the HS laws - we don't have the same freedom here.

I thought it was bad enough here in Aus at $1.45.

DH keeps suggesting we move to New Zealand - I keep telling him of all the people I know who moved there and then moved back :lol:

Yes it's an expensive place to live although I tempted by the HS laws - we don't have the same freedom here.

Many NZers are moving to Aussie as they think its easier to get ahead there with better paying jobs, lower cost of living, etc. HS laws are much friendlier here & we do have less poisonious land creatures :tongue_smilie:.

Not currently in NZ, but just moved away after living there 2.5 yrs. We did not want to leave at all and I would go back in a heartbeat. I would heartily recommend anybody move there - life is just better. People are nicer. Air is cleaner. Children have more freedom. I don't think most Kiwis realise how good they have things over there!

Yes,there are down-sides.Things can be expensive, but petrol is twice as much in the UK (I'm not kidding)! Everybody you know is asleep when you're awake and vice versa. But the great things about NZ far outweigh the negatives, for us at least.

Depends what state you are living in. the HS regulations here in Victoria are hardly anything, just sign a stat. dec. at the start of the year stating you are going to educate the kids in the 8 key learning areas and that is it.

I just got an email from DH. The site actually said they want electricians from Ireland and the UK right now.

Won't be moving to NZ, then.

Here's the update. Thanks to my friends down under for the info! Now I want to move to New Zealand, probably because we can't. Seriously, it sounds lovely. And it is the home of FOTC, of course.

oh well....

Edited by justamouse

Are you kidding me?

I'd have the bags packed and at the doors already. :001_smile:

No, you gotta read teh whole thing! :tongue_smilie:

We can't go, after all. The general call-out was for temporary visas only, which would be no good for a family man. (Although some single American electricians are having an awesome working vacation in New Zealand right now.)

They're only taking permanent immigrants from the UK and Ireland.

We need electricians in here Christchurch at the moment (and plumbers, builders, etc) to rebuild our town after mother nature knocked half of it down. Despite mother nature's shenanigans I wouldn't live anywhere else :001_smile: I think you should tell your DH to come anyway if he's qualified he'd probably get a visa no problems. :001_smile: $60k would be more than most have to live on and they generally do ok.

I would see if they would help pay to move your family there. I have friends here, in the US, with 6 kids. The dad is from NZ. When he last priced airline tickets, one way, to move back, it was something like $10,000, round trip for a vacation was over $20,000. They stayed here because they couldn't afford to fly, and then ship some of their things.

i'm guessing those two countries because they are commonwealth countries, and so that makes immigration easier? he might apply anyway if its what he wants to do and see what happens.....

fwiw,

ann

:iagree: I would guess that the trade training is very similar to that in NZ, so tradesman from UK/Ireland are more sought after or the company recruiting has contacts in UK/Ireland & is familar with the immigration process for citizens from there. If you're really keen, have your dh apply anyway. Even though working away isn't ideal for families, I would strongly suggest that he come work on his own for a few months before you begin selling up everything to immigrate.

JMHO,

look at http://www.seek.co.nz for current jobs. There is an electrician job advertised today for my area, but it asks for current NZ work permit & trade qualifications. That doesn't mean American trained tradesman wouldn't be considered, but if you are really keen on emigrating, I'd suggest your dh do a bit of research as to what he'd need to do to meet NZ qualification requirements. It can be as easy as sending in copies of your certifications, etc.

:iagree: I would guess that the trade training is very similar to that in NZ, so tradesman from UK/Ireland are more sought after or the company recruiting has contacts in UK/Ireland & is familar with the immigration process for citizens from there. If you're really keen, have your dh apply anyway. Even though working away isn't ideal for families, I would strongly suggest that he come work on his own for a few months before you begin selling up everything to immigrate.

JMHO,

:iagree:such a good idea. i like the canada idea, too ;). closer. easier. cheaper to get to..... my wanderlust is kicking in; sigh....