Menu

Why do so many people use Singapore only as a supplement?

Baseballmom

Is it not good enough to be used exclusively? For those of you who do only use Singapore have you seen good results? My son has always used Abeka, but hates it, too many of the same type of problem. I just ordered Singapore, but I am wondering if I should continue with the dreaded Abeka math also, I sure hope not! Please help me understand.

We started first with Miquon and liked it a lot. When my son wasn't ready to move up a level, we supplemented with Singapore. We really like it and will continue to use it in addition to Miquon. Miquon only goes to 3rd grade level so at some point we will use Singapore exclusively.

I know other people have differing opinions but I'm not a big fan of lots of drill in math. We've only done the first year of Singapore but it seems not to have a lot of drill.

We've been using Singapore exclusively, until just this month when I decided to check out MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Programme) just to see what I thought of it. Singapore has worked very well for both my dc - I don't have any complaints about it, but thought that maybe some new perspectives might be fun for them. MEP presents things slightly differently and in a little different order it looks like, and I think just some variety might be nice.

I used Singapore exclusively for several years, but grew frustrated that, for my children, there was not enough review. Lately I have been having my 8 yo dd do a page of Singapore and a lesson from Horizons (crossing off some rows of problems) for more spiral review. I think this is covering more bases. My older sons are doing Teaching Textbooks right now, but at least with one of them, I intend to start Singapore again along with it.

Singapore has worked GREAT as a spine -- and as a supplement, here. It all depended on the child.

Our older math-minded son did:

gr. 2-3 = Miquon (all)

gr. 3-6 = Singapore Primary (3A/B, 4A/B, 5A/B, 6A/B)

gr. 7 = NEM1 / Saxon Algebra 1/2

gr. 8-9 = Jacobs (Algebra/Geometry)

He never really needed a supplement; we threw occasional math manipulative booklet or a little Saxon in just to see some math topics from a different point of view.

Our younger math-struggler did:

gr. 1-2 = Miquon

gr. 3 = Singapore

gr. 4 = Saxon 3

gr. 5 = MUS old Intermediate

gr. 6 = MUS new Delta, Epsilon, 1/3 of Zeta

gr. 7 = MUS Zeta; supplement: Singapore 4A/B, 5A/B

gr. 8 = MUS Pre-Algebra; supplement: Singapore 6A/B, Keys to Decimals & Percents

We went through a lot of math programs to find one that fit for him. He fits well with MUS, but since he finishes a level of it early, that allows us time to use Singapore as a supplement. We've also used the Key To... math workbook series as a supplement for him.

Different strokes for different folks! ; ) Best of luck in finding your family's "stroke" for math. Warmest regards, Lori D.

We use Singapore as our main program.

When we need extra drill, or a couple days off to let things sink in while we drill (like now with 2-3 digit division) we use Horizons as a supplement.

It isn't necessary to supp Singapore, esp if you do the program like it's meant to be done: with drill, CWP, and IP along with PM. Some do just PM and CWP. We just really like IP.

I'm actually considering have my oldest do the text and IP, and use the PM wkbk as a supp. IP has many more interesting/more challenging problems to work out.

My oldest is currently in 3a. My middle son is currently in 1b.

HTH. :)

We use Singapore as our main program.

When we need extra drill, or a couple days off to let things sink in while we drill (like now with 2-3 digit division) we use Horizons as a supplement.

It isn't necessary to supp Singapore, esp if you do the program like it's meant to be done: with drill, CWP, and IP along with PM. Some do just PM and CWP. We just really like IP.

I'm actually considering have my oldest do the text and IP, and use the PM wkbk as a supp. IP has many more interesting/more challenging problems to work out.

My oldest is currently in 3a. My middle son is currently in 1b.

HTH. :)

Well, that is encouraging! I did order all of those components.

Singapore is our base. Philosophically I agree with their approach, but practically I have kinesthetic learners and prefer RS math for preschool to about half way through 1st grade. Then I do a combo, using the RS to cover math facts and reinforce concepts. The game method of learning math facts have worked so much better than flash cards, Flashmaster or Calculadders (sp?).

Heather

Is it not good enough to be used exclusively? For those of you who do only use Singapore have you seen good results?

My eldest just started Singapore 6b, the final book in the elementary series, and is doing well with it. From time to time we add drill or extra worksheets from the net or problems with CWP or IP, but that's about it.

I think it can be daunting if you are challenged by simple math concepts (not naming names but...me). Saxon is so handy with the whole dang thing scripted and all the hand holding is very comforting. But even while I was happy to stick with Saxon I could see all that was appealing in Singapore and *had* to add it in.

But my children don't have my limitations. They love Singapore and not so much Saxon. So, I've recently switched over to Singapore and I think they *get* it even without all the drill.

I supplement with Singapore for several reasons. First, I did not originally choose Singapore because I was unaware of it when I researched K math. I tried to use the full-blown program in 2nd grade in addition to MUS, but it was a miserable failure for 3 reasons. (1) Ds had already learned addition one way (MUS teaches vertical addition/subtraction). He was not interested in learning another way (Singapore teaches horizontal addition/subtraction and more mental math). (2) I thought it was unnecessary to teach metric measurement in 2nd grade. (3) Singapore was just so different from how I had been taught that I found it took me quite a while to prepare for the lesson. MUS was a breeze. So, I dropped Singapore.

I discovered the CWP later and started supplementing with CWP 4. I wish I had started them earlier.

Good luck!

Main program here, too; ds7.5 is in 3a, ds12 is in 6a.

We started last school year, with 1a, 4a, and the workbooks. Now we use the textbooks and Intensive Practice workbooks, which we really like.

For drill, when I think they could use a bit, I print worksheets from online sources, or have them do math facts from dice, or work on skip counting, or whatever seems helpful.

Sometimes we take a few days off for a change of pace or to let concepts sink in; we'll do online math games or at-home math games.

This month with my younger son we're going back and forth between two sections -- 2-3 days in each -- so he gets the practice he needs and yet some variety over the span of a week or so.

Currently my older son alternates Singapore Math and an online algebra course because he started to balk at his SM at a "boring" section last fall and I didn't see any big reason to NOT try alternating the two.

We have used Singapore exclusively. My son is in 4A, and my daughter is in 6A. We have used some of their extra practice materials for certain topics, but for the most part, the PM text and workbook have been sufficient. We do fact drill on the side.

Come to think of it, my dd had a hard time with subtraction-to-100 back in second grade. We took some time off Singapore and did Harcourt for awhile, but we've stuck with Singapore ever since. She's excited about math these days, and I can see a bit of myself in her (I love the thrill of figuring out difficult problems). :o)

I am using Singapore as my main math program w/my 7th gr. dd. We have been using it since the end of 5th grade. I am very, very happy with it. We use the text, wkbk, and CWP. It has challenged my dd to become a real math problem-solver, and not just trust rote formula.

My older dd, who is in ps (11th gr.), showed my younger dd some of her geometry problems, and she actually understood a lot of them.

I am really not that great at math, but Singapore is working for us. Go figure. :rolleyes:

We are almost finished with 6B, and plan to go on to NEM in combination w/a more traditional Algebra program.

My oldest started with Miquon, then we switched to Singapore (in 2nd grade, I think?) and used it through Singapore 6. It is an excellent program.

My main problem with it is really *my* problem, not Singapore's. I found that it was just so easy for me to hand my kids the workbook and say "go," that that is what I was doing. I was not making myself spend time on teaching the concepts well, or on drill; and if you're going to use Singapore exclusively, you've to to teach it, and you've got to manage more drill.

I switched to Right STart for our main program for my 2nd son. Right start teaches concepts similarly to Singapore, so I still have that; but I *have* to teach the lessons, and use the manipulatives, etc. There's not a ton of drill in RS either, but there's more than in Singapore, and together we get a good bit.

We use them together now for the extra drill, and for the word problems/problem solving, which Singapore does better than RS.

Is it not good enough to be used exclusively? For those of you who do only use Singapore have you seen good results? My son has always used Abeka, but hates it, too many of the same type of problem. I just ordered Singapore, but I am wondering if I should continue with the dreaded Abeka math also, I sure hope not! Please help me understand.

Singapore is a great program if..

• you are not afraid to teach math

• your child can grasp some of the more logic level thinking that Singapore uses

• you are willing to make sure that concepts are truely understood

If these things are a problem, then Singapore may work better as a supplement. Sometimes using it at a lower level than your regular math program works. My dd hit a wall with singapore, but a year later could understand those concepts.

I completely understand your ds problem with ABEKA. We had the same thing happen here. We switched to MUS to reveiw concepts and will be adding in Singapore as soon as we have mastered the basics.

I would keep Abeka handy for help with new concepts if it is needed. Although my dc run when I pull out that yellow book :eek:

For me (and several of my kids, lol), it's not concrete enough with explanations, etc., to be relied on as a main program.

I like it for *fostering* that kind of thinking...but I've seen the potential for it to create an actual lack of understanding, and so we've relied on good ol' Rod and Staff for plain, simple explanations, and went to Singapore to be challenged to look at math a new way.

I do have one that totally 'gets' math, and has used Singapore with ease. She may be the one that uses it all the way through, and does better with it. It could very well end up being her main program.

My ds loved math until Abeka 3 long division. It really killed his love of math and I wish we had stopped using it sooner.

I know that Abeka is a good solid program, but it was too much for him and we didn't even do everything. I would try to find something fun for awhile maybe he will change his mind about math.

Why do people use Singapore as their primary math and then supplement with another "complete" math like Saxon or R&S?

That's way too much like work for me. I want to choose something that is comprehensive enough to stand on its own, and then....let it stand on its own.

Why do people use Singapore as their primary math and then supplement with another "complete" math like Saxon or R&S?

That's way too much like work for me. I want to choose something that is comprehensive enough to stand on its own, and then....let it stand on its own.

I think that "complete" is impossible. Every program offers something Saxon is methodical with lots of drill, singapore looks at math in different ways and uses logic stage thinking in its method. By using two programs, you can pick and choose to give balance and introduce different approaches to math.

I have found this to be quite challenging when we started schooling more than one child. Our house is too busy for me to "create" a program for each child.

Then, we switch to something else for algebra-geometry-trig-etc. How good of a fit it is or if our kids "like math" or any of that has nothing to do with it. Singapore is basically just the best program for what we use it for. And, our students have to just conform to the requirements of the material rather than trying to make the material conform to their "needs" as a student. Pedagogy simply is not nearly as big of an issue as people make it out to be. The issue is and has always been content. We're willing to take as long as it takes to really do it and even sacrifice other subjects for it if we have to. Unfortunately, a lot of kids and/or their families simply don't want it that bad.

To draw an analogy, it's like Hamlet vs Laertes in their duel. Just because you go study fencing under some fancy French master, don't think that Hamlet's not going to have his way with you when you get back home. Reality has a way of working out like that. And, anymore, you can't rely on "experts" because they all drastically contradict each other, and usually just a simple direct interest in or even understanding of the actual subject matter is the furthest thing from their minds. All the algebraic manipulations in the world won't ever equal even a single solid geometry proof. I don't care if my kids ever do calculus if they never do an epsilon-delta proof. And so on. Unfortunately, Singapore does not offer that sort of thing in NEM, so that's why we switch. But, it is pretty much right on for things like arithmetic and, for that, we use it exclusively.

We switched to Singapore this year after using Abeka for 3 years. My son, who had loved math, did much "weeping and gnashing of teeth" when the yellow book emerged as well. Singapore is really making him think about math and I have seen his confidence and ability soar in the last semester.

We plan on using it through 6B.

• 2 weeks later...

My older son started with Singapore in second grade. He tested in 2A. He is currently in 4A. We use no supplement.

My younger son is in 1B. I love this program for a myriad of reasons. My first is when I administered the IOWAs for the second graders last year, the math problems were horizontal. The American math programs seem to teach vertical math because all 12 of the children did not know that they could switch the problem to vertical. Singapore teaches horizonal.

My second reason for staying with Singapore. When I took the SATs as a child, I did not do well in the math section. I always test well in math. I noticed that most of the math problems on the SATs were word problems. I want my children to learn how to tackle word problems from a very young age. I feel the more they learn word problems in math the better their thinking skills.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

We switched from Saxon 3 to singapore with my oldest (now 14) because it was killing his natural love of math. The increments of instruction were just too small for his natural curiosity, plus all the drill was tedious. After we switched to Singapore, he was much happier. We have supplemented with drill sheets I have printed off the web as well as used some of Singapore's extra practice materials (but very lightly.) So far, it has not hurt his test scores. He took the SAT as an 7th grader last year and he has a respectable score (for not having as much algebra as your average jr. in high school.) He is doing great in NEM book 2. We will probably do a separate geometry course with him to get him some rigorous proof exposure.

Ds11 does GREAT with Singapore. His standardized test scores were good (even with his processing problems) He is in 6th grade.

My youngest, dd7, needed a year to mature before starting Singapore. As a second grader, she is finishing up 1B. We don't use it for preschool, but just do stuff around the house while playing (Family Math has been a good resource for building math into our everyday lives.) Now, dd is taking off. I do need to do more drill for math facts, but Singapore is designed to have the fact drill done separately.

It used to be that if your child needed extra practice, there just weren't enough problems in Singapore to give them that. But now Singapore has out tons of extra practice workbooks with all sorts of titles I can never recall and even home instructor guides with MORE info on games, manipulatives, etc., for some of the lower grade levels. So there's plenty of material for any style of learner now, I think.

Some folks who are already happy with their other programs, such as Saxon, for instance, but who feel that those programs may not really do that great a job with word problems, like to use Singapore because they have wonderful word problems!

Regena

We use Singapore here with just the Text and workbook. But I use the book Teaching Mathematics in Rudolf Steiner Schools by Ron Jarmon for ideas on how to enrich our math lesson in a fun way so that we are getting a similiar experience to what they do in Singapore since math is interwoven into the day.

My oldest has done Earlybird and 1a/b then we switched to RS A, B, and part of C before going back to Singapore for 2a/b and now she is doing 3a.

My youngest is working slowly through Earlybird.

Currently, I am dividing math into 4 parts that are working very well--rhythmic drill, instruction/exploration, workbook and review.

We use circle time to framework our day and rhythmic drill is one of the first things we do. We generally toss a ball back and forth to work on counting and math facts. You can do a variety of things for rhythmic drill and have it totally divorced from the school day. You can do it during playtime while your child jumps rope or jumps on the trampoline. You can walk it forwards or backwards, skip or jump rope.

The instruction/exploration takes place in the middle of our circle time and generally I either have a math story, the text book and manipulatives and we act out math problems or explore the manipulatives and write down our observations.

The workbook portion takes place when we move to the table and do our written work. I assign my dd so much to in the Singapore workbook.

The review is something that is not connected with SM or our schoolday at all. I make binders for my children of old workbooks I have found at garage sales and worksheets I print off the internet. These consist of language arts and math pages that are generally a review. They are mostly too easy and stuff we have already covered and they are allowed to do the pages in any order they want. They turn them into me once a week so I can pulled out finished pages and add in new pages. These are fun for them but they also include dot-to-dot, mazes, coloring pages and such.

So basically, we use singapore as our main text but we do fun enrichment so that they can take ownership of what they are learning.:)

We use Singapore exclusively. However, my dd got a bit bored until I split the workbooks up into sections and now I have her do a lesson from the beginning of the book and then one from the middle. So everyday she gets some addition or subtraction and then something "fun":) like multiplication or geometry etc... okay, we all love math here!:D