Menu

Please help me spend $730

BatmansWife

We have $730 left to spend in our homebased educational program budget. I need to place my orders probably by Monday. Tell me what you'd get if you had money like this to spend. Keep in mind that I'd like to order as many consumables as possible. Any nonconsumables will need to be returned to the school once we are no longer in the program (which could be a long time, but still).

We already have a list going: History Portfolio Jr...some kits (mummy, hieroglyphics, pyramid)...clay and other art supplies...the next levels of GWG, WWW, SWS...Adventures in America & U.S. stuff to go with that...a couple guitar learning books...and maybe Russian Step by Step...

My dd really wants a "cooking class". Is there any beginner cooking curriculum? She wanted some kind of vest that badges are added to (like girl scouts), but I have no clue. Maybe some Klutz book/kits?

What are some good science kits, art kits, craft stuff, etc?

No ideas, but :drool5: over having that much to spend!

on the vest, you could do a girl scout vest. They come blank with no patches in different colors depending on level.

There are several kids cookbooks that teach basic cooking out there - maybe one of those would work?

:drool5: :iagree:

I'm still in a honeymoon phase over this. What I have left is almost 1/5th what I began with in September. I feel fortunate to be in a school district that offers this program. I know a lot of people would disagree....but it's a blessing for us. Thank you for your suggestions.

Just an idea, if you are really having a hard time finding something you need....if you don't have to account for consumables, how about buying some of the most popular choices and donating them to other homeschoolers who may need some help with their budgets. Here we have a local homeschool organization that accepts curriculum donations and sells them at drastically reduced prices.

:drool5: :iagree:

I'm still in a honeymoon phase over this. What I have left is almost 1/5th what I began with in September. I feel fortunate to be in a school district that offers this program. I know a lot of people would disagree....but it's a blessing for us. Thank you for your suggestions.

That is such a blessing! I am :drool5:!

Loads of blank paper

Fun art supplies (leather kit, etc.)

Art portfolios from Simply Charlotte Mason

I'd probably spend the day on Rainbow Resources just loading up my cart with whatever looks good.

Have fun!

ETA: not knowing anything about your progam, I'd be tempted to buy all the levels of things I know we'll use (MUS, GWG, etc.) on the off chance that the program ends or the amount is lowered in the future.

Just an idea, if you are really having a hard time finding something you need....if you don't have to account for consumables, how about buying some of the most popular choices and donating them to other homeschoolers who may need some help with their budgets. Here we have a local homeschool organization that accepts curriculum donations and sells them at drastically reduced prices.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: If you don't have anywhere local that does this, try The Book Samaritan - they do it on a global scale. I'm sure they'd love consumables - it's what they have the hardest time getting.

I would get the Basher science series:

Basher Science: Core Science Library

Basher Science: Astronomy: Out of this World!

Basher Science: Human Body: A Book with Guts

The Periodic Table: Elements with Style!

Basher Science: Planet Earth: What planet are you on?

Basher Science: Chemistry: Getting a Big Reaction

Basher: Rocks & Minerals: A Gem of a Book

Physics: Why Matter Matters!

Biology: Life as We Know It!

I would also get the entire Brian P. Cleary grammar series

Pitch and Throw, Grasp and Know: What is a Synonym?

I and You and Don't Forget Who: What Is a Prounoun?

Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?

How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones?

Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely: What Is an Adverb?

Slide and Slurp, Scratch and Burp: More about Verbs

Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym?

Skin Like Milk, Hair of Silk: What Are Similes and Metaphors?

A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What Is a Noun?

Under, Over, by the Clover: What Is a Preposition?

To Root to Toot to Parachute: What Is a Verb?

A Lime, a Mime, a Pool of Slime: More About Nouns

I'm and Won't, They're and Don't: What's a Contraction?

Thumbtacks, Earwax, Lipstick, Dipstick: What Is a Compound Word?

For history there is nothing better than the "You wouldn't want to..." series

You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Colonist!: A Settlement You'd Rather Not Start

You Wouldn't Want to Sail on the Mayflower!: A Trip That Took Entirely Too Long

You Wouldn't Want to Live in a Medieval Castle!: A Home You'd Rather Not Inhabit

You Wouldn't Want to Be at the Boston Tea Party!: Wharf Water Tea, You'd Rather Not Drink

You Wouldn't Want to Sail with Christopher Columbus!: Uncharted Waters You'd Rather Not Cross

You Wouldn't Want to Be a Pyramid Builder!: A Hazardous Job You'd Rather Not Have

You Wouldn't Want to Be a Samurai!: A Deadly Career You'd Rather Not Pursue

You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator!

You Wouldn't Want to Be a Medieval Knight: Armor You'd Rather Not Wear

You Wouldn't Want to Work on the Great Wall of China!: Defenses You'd Rather Not Build

You Wouldn't Want to Be a Civil War Soldier!: A War You'd Rather Not Fight

You Wouldn't Want to Be an Egyptian Mummy!

You Wouldn't Want to Be Cleopatra!: An Egyptian Ruler You'd Rather Not Be

You Wouldn't Want to Be an Aristocrat in the French Revolution!: A Horrible Time in Paris You'd Rather Avoid

You Wouldn't Want to Live in Pompeii!

You Wouldn't Want to Be a Mayan Soothsayer!: Fortunes You'd Rather Not Tell

You Wouldn't Want to Explore with Marco Polo!: A Really Long Trip You'd Rather Not Take

You Wouldn't Want to Be Sick in the 16th Century!

There are a ton more in this series... but you get the idea. :)

Edited by Bloggermom

Complete science experiment kits? Extra student materials you need for AAS or any other programs you are currently using? Graph paper for math, art paper, canvas? Music? TI calculator for your 9th grader? Logic puzzles? Handwriting books? Ask your kids what they would like for school.

Is there anything you have eyed, but aren't sure if it would work for you? You could try it without risk.

So lucky!! My program like that says that we must spend it for items for the current year only! OTOH, most of our budget goes to pay for my dd's gymnastics tuition so who's complaining:lol:

Suggestions of mine would be

Any of the Evan-Moor Daily workbooks(on my list specifically are handwriting and geography).

Critical Thinking Co workbooks

The Complete Book of ____ (US History, Dinosaurs, Reading.. etc.. <3 these)

A homeschool planner=D

That won't take to much of your $$.. If I think of anything else.. I'll ETA. LOL Good luck and happy spending!

Oh my. Can you just go crazy and spend the entire amount at amazon? Buy a bunch of cookbooks (Alton Brown is amazing btw, because he's all about the chemistry of cooking).

I'll check that cookbook author. Thanks!

Loads of blank paper

Fun art supplies (leather kit, etc.)

Art portfolios from Simply Charlotte Mason

I'd probably spend the day on Rainbow Resources just loading up my cart with whatever looks good.

Have fun!

ETA: not knowing anything about your progam, I'd be tempted to buy all the levels of things I know we'll use (MUS, GWG, etc.) on the off chance that the program ends or the amount is lowered in the future.

I didn't think of blank paper....good one. The leather kit is a great idea. I'll have to look at what the art portfolios are. As to the bolded....yes, this is what I need to consider also. Our coordinator for the program was here the other day, and she suggested the very same thing. Which is why I wouldn't do this:

I don't mean to sound selfish....but I wouldn't be able to do this. I can buy ahead, and I also signed papers about their restrictions.

I would get the Basher science series:

Basher Science: Core Science Library

Basher Science: Astronomy: Out of this World!

Basher Science: Human Body: A Book with Guts

The Periodic Table: Elements with Style!

Basher Science: Planet Earth: What planet are you on?

Basher Science: Chemistry: Getting a Big Reaction

Basher: Rocks & Minerals: A Gem of a Book

Physics: Why Matter Matters!

Biology: Life as We Know It!

I would also get the entire Brian P. Cleary grammar series

Pitch and Throw, Grasp and Know: What is a Synonym?

I and You and Don't Forget Who: What Is a Prounoun?

Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?

How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones?

Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely: What Is an Adverb?

Slide and Slurp, Scratch and Burp: More about Verbs

Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym?

Skin Like Milk, Hair of Silk: What Are Similes and Metaphors?

A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What Is a Noun?

Under, Over, by the Clover: What Is a Preposition?

To Root to Toot to Parachute: What Is a Verb?

A Lime, a Mime, a Pool of Slime: More About Nouns

I'm and Won't, They're and Don't: What's a Contraction?

Thumbtacks, Earwax, Lipstick, Dipstick: What Is a Compound Word?

Stay tuned... I am about to update this with more goodies....

I've never heard of any of these. They do look interesting. Thank you!

Complete science experiment kits? Extra student materials you need for AAS or any other programs you are currently using? Graph paper for math, art paper, canvas? Music? TI calculator for your 9th grader? Logic puzzles? Handwriting books? Ask your kids what they would like for school.

Is there anything you have eyed, but aren't sure if it would work for you? You could try it without risk.

:lol: I did ask them. My dd made a huge list. My son wanted guitar books and Russian. He actually wanted clothes. :001_smile: Thank you for mentioning AAS. I have level 1 and 2 (we hare on lesson 11 of level 1). I could get levels 3 and maybe even 4 (because it seems that people say they go through these levels quite fast). I'll definitely consider your other suggestions. Thank you!

So lucky!! My program like that says that we must spend it for items for the current year only! OTOH, most of our budget goes to pay for my dd's gymnastics tuition so who's complaining:lol:

Suggestions of mine would be

Any of the Evan-Moor Daily workbooks(on my list specifically are handwriting and geography).

Critical Thinking Co workbooks

The Complete Book of ____ (US History, Dinosaurs, Reading.. etc.. <3 these)

A homeschool planner=D

That won't take to much of your $$.. If I think of anything else.. I'll ETA. LOL Good luck and happy spending!

It's nice that your program pays for classes. Thank you for your ideas.

What grades/ages/genders are you shopping for?

Girl 2nd grade.

Boy 9th grade.

-How about a subscription to Brainpop or Discovery Streaming?

-Meet the Masters online (art) or Atelier (although you'd have to turn this one in)

-magazine subscription

-printer cartridges and paper

I had forgotten to ask her about printer ink. I really need that. I'm not sure if the pay for that or not. I'll have to find out.

You can take a look here:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/

I know only Kosmos ;-)

Think of a microscope

Klutz can be nice.

Other stuff:

A childrens loom.

Knitting and crochet items

vilt items

encyclopedia

atlas/maps

dictionaries

We use Keepers of Faith as guide for our cookingclass, but I thought you couldn't buy christian books from the money, if I remember your posts well?

Keepers of Faith has no recipes so we use recipes from the internet or my cookbook. DD asked if she could get mine :) I wouldn't use a childrens cookbook, imo the recipes are too limited.

Some PE items?

Balls (different sizes and different purposes), rope for rope skipping, rackets

Great ideas. Yes, you are right....we can't get anything outright religious/Christian. Unless it's included in History.

I appreciate everyone's ideas. A lot of things I hadn't thought of.

Art supplies? Maybe one-day workshops? private lessons?

hmm.....fiction reading books? Maybe a laptop? Ink cartridges for printing worksheets? Copier?

I have to search Rainbow yet for some art supplies. I'm hoping to find some big lot or something.

The kids get a laptop with the program. I really need ink though.

Klutz Press kits are reliably high quality.

Writing Strands books can be considered consumable.

Writer's Jungles 'Help for High School' is a download, so you won't lose it even if you have to also give it back to the school

Check out Rainbow Resources and Discount School Supply for a plethora of consumables--I have previously been in your situation and bought watercolor paper, colored tissue papers, glue sticks, oil pastels, card stock, pearlized card stock, beads, construction paper, biocolor (for tempuras), Prismacolor colored pencils (the best!), hollow plastic ornaments to fill, heart shaped lace doilies for Valentines' Day, and some science kits that I really can't recommend. RR also has a 'make your own game' kit that didn't go over well in our house but still looks really cool to me. RR also has 'real' art supplies for linoleum printing.

If *I* were buying, I'd buy BrainQuest or Comprehensive Curriculum workbooks for the next few years, the next several levels of Nallenart French, several levels of Latin books, Handwriting Without Tears workbooks, lots of paper/construction paper/binders/notebooks, really nice colored pencils/crayons/paints. Maybe a microscope. What a nice bonus to have (especially if you'll have that again every year)!

Can you use the money for online classes or subscriptions like Discovery Streaming, BrainPop, Classical Composers Monthly, Happy Scientist, an online language course, possibly even Netflix? Or use it to buy an Ipad or other tablet? Oh, wait. You'd have to give the tablet to the school, right? Ugh! That would be painful!!! Never mind on that one. Maybe you could use it for an online class or two? G3 offers virtual classes. If one of your children is interested in herbs and traditional medicine, naturopathy classes are possible through the Avicenna Institute at http://www.bearthschooling.com - or for young kids, a better choice would be the Kids Can Heal unit study through the sister company - Earth Schooling. That would be a really fun, unique course. I think they also have a new wildlife education certification class. There may be a minimum age requirement, though.

I could have so much fun spending that money for you! : )

P.S. Another idea = local memberships to gardens, museums, the zoo, etc. Maybe even a trip to Space Camp in Huntsville, AL? That's a dream of ours! : )

Edited by kimmie38017

Have you looked at http://www.thegreatcourses.com/ for your ninth-grader?

A great science program which includes lab supplies for your ninth-grader----

http://www.scienceforhighschool.com/---not sure if she takes POs, but she will most likely get back to you quickly, if you send her an email.

I know you want consumables (and I get why!), but you may want look at it from a different view point. All the great quality books you buy and return to the school library may make it into someone else's hands. I know many people who go into our school library looking for the usual textbooks and walk out with other great books and curriculum they didn't even know about.

She wanted some kind of vest that badges are added to (like girl scouts), but I have no clue.

Try Quest Clubs for vests and badges--you can pick any color you like.

I agree with the others who have suggested online subscriptions if you don't want to have to keep track of things to return--aleks math, Rosetta Stone online subscription, etc.

--Sarah

What about educational magazine subscriptions? My kids love getting magazines.

I've been reading this and thinking that I can't come up with anything I would want that costs so much. I forgot about magazines though. It's about $100 per year for a subscription to the magazines in French that I want for my kids.

I might buy a whole bunch of the coloring science books with the detailed pictures and descriptions. I'd pick up an extra copy of any consumables I already have a teaching manual for. I'd buy printed and bound copies of some programs that you can print for free.

Most of the things I would want for the older grades are hardcover texts and not consumable. I don't know if anyone has mentioned prep books for the SAT and ACT or APs yet.

Wow. I don't have any advice, but what an amazing program. Do all states do this? How do you find out what states do?

I live in WI, does anyone know if WI does this?

Thanks for all the help, I am brand new at homeschooling.

You should check your local school districts website first for charter, umbrella, or virtual academy. In Washington State, we can transfer out of district to a virtual academy. Some use a preset curriculum and others let you choose your own secular curriculum.

You should check your local school districts website first for charter, umbrella, or virtual academy. In Washington State, we can transfer out of district to a virtual academy. Some use a preset curriculum and others let you choose your own secular curriculum.

I know that you can be part of a virtual academy here in WI, but then you are part of the public school system.

I know you get a laptop, but they give you money on top of that to buy things too?

I had $2,300 to spend for my three boys this year, so I'm in the same boat. I think I managed to spend every last dollar, but I'm going to have a tough time figuring out how to spend it this next year. The things left on my want list are either faith-based (Latina Christiana DVDs) or non-consumable.

We spent a good chunk of money this year on Critical Thinking Co workbooks. I bought four full grade level packages. It has been nice to have those available as supplements, but we haven't gone through even half of them. I don't need to buy much for next year. I was also thrilled to get the Writing With Ease workbooks.

I bought a lot of non-consumable curricula that I might not have spent the money on otherwise (IEW DVDs, all of the Life of Fred elementary books, MCT, etc.) It is nice to have a chance to use these things and if I ever want to spend my own money on them later (particularly for my youngest), I'll know which ones are worth it.

This next year I am going to buy a really awesome (expensive) timeline kit, consumable science kits, and consumable art stuff.

One really great development is that our principal convinced the school district to consider CDs (and DVDs, I think!) consumable because they just don't hold up well. I had a heyday with that one.

Wow. I don't have any advice, but what an amazing program. Do all states do this? How do you find out what states do?

You could try doing a search for [your state] virtual academy or [your state] homeschool charter and see what turns up.

We're with a charter and the funding allows us to keep our kids in extracurriculars that are important to them. But, it's definitely a trade-off. We have to deal with testing, state standards, providing work samples, etc. So, yeah, "free" money is nice and the pros outweigh the cons for us, but there is a definite downside, too. Even with the money, it's not the best choice for every family.

Can you buy an ipad to be used for school? If so, I would buy a refurbished first generation ipad from apple.com with 64gb of memory for $399. It comes with the same warranty as a new one.

:iagree: This is what I would do if you don't have one already! I know a lady that gets funding through a charter school and used some of the money towards an ipad.

We are in WI. You could call your school district and ask if they offer a homebased educational program (that's what ours is called). Not all do. Ours is new. This is their second year (our first year with it). They only allow 10 students. This year....there were only 3.

I know that you can be part of a virtual academy here in WI, but then you are part of the public school system.

I know you get a laptop, but they give you money on top of that to buy things too?

This isn't a virtual academy. It's just through our school system (which actually has their own virtual school too). They give us a specified amount each year to buy what we want, for the most part. Our coordinator orders everything and we pick up our stuff at the school. She contacts me every couple of months to see how things are going. We meet once in awhile. She submits grades to the school. We have to do the testing requirements...but it's not a big deal. We are technically public school students (so they get big money....way more than they give us, but I'm not complaining).

I had $2,300 to spend for my three boys this year, so I'm in the same boat. I think I managed to spend every last dollar, but I'm going to have a tough time figuring out how to spend it this next year. The things left on my want list are either faith-based (Latina Christiana DVDs) or non-consumable.

We spent a good chunk of money this year on Critical Thinking Co workbooks. I bought four full grade level packages. It has been nice to have those available as supplements, but we haven't gone through even half of them. I don't need to buy much for next year. I was also thrilled to get the Writing With Ease workbooks.

I bought a lot of non-consumable curricula that I might not have spent the money on otherwise (IEW DVDs, all of the Life of Fred elementary books, MCT, etc.) It is nice to have a chance to use these things and if I ever want to spend my own money on them later (particularly for my youngest), I'll know which ones are worth it.

This next year I am going to buy a really awesome (expensive) timeline kit, consumable science kits, and consumable art stuff.

One really great development is that our principal convinced the school district to consider CDs (and DVDs, I think!) consumable because they just don't hold up well. I had a heyday with that one.

:lol: to the bolded. That is awesome. Maybe you can check out the History Channel DVD sets. We are borrowing the Global History set from our coordinator (so that we didn't have to use our money for it)...it's like $650 or something. Next year we will borrow the US History set. If you could keep them....and since you might have a hard time figuring out how to spend the money next year, that's something for you to consider. This year I had $3,500 to spend on only 2 kids. It's hard to spend that much money! Thank you so much for mentioning the Life of Fred elementary. I totally forgot about that, and I wanted to get those.

:iagree: This is what I would do if you don't have one already! I know a lady that gets funding through a charter school and used some of the money towards an ipad.

I'm going to sound like I'm boring and no fun.....but it just doesn't appeal to me. But, then again...I don't have much technology (no cell phone, no ipod...).

RE: art supplies. You might already know this, but I mostly use Dick Blick to purchase art supplies. I loosely use Artistic Pursuits. On their website they list bundles that automatically take you to Blick Art to buy. (Scroll to the bottom.) I really like to use these bundles at least as a guide to help me buy the nicer art supplies. It gives me an idea as to which brands will give the student nice results. Happy Shopping!!!

ETA: Yep, it looks like you already use AP, so this information might be mute.

My ds (also in 2nd grade) has a bit of an obsession with cooking and cookbooks, so I'll suggest...

Annabel Karmel's cookbooks - we especially like You Can Cook, which is ds's very favorite

Williams Sonoma has a bunch of nice cookbooks for kids

The Around the World Cookbook is nice

Mollie Katzen's vegetarian cookbooks have cute play with your food elements

Kid's Fun and Healthy Cookbook is another nice one

The Silver Spoon for Children is nifty with nice book design

Rachel Ray, Emeril Lagasse and other celeb chefs have cookbooks for kids - my ds doesn't like any of those though because there are no photos of the food, just dopey cartoons which he says doesn't help him know what he wants to make!

There are also two magazines for cooking and kids - one is Chop Chop! which tends toward very healthy food and the other is Yum for Kids, which has more mainstream stuff - both are nice and glossy.

Ds also really likes looking at the cupcakes in Hello Cupcake.

I just used up the last of my funding for the year placing a big order last week, I am slightly more restricted in that I could only order from places that took purchase order because I can't afford to pay out of pocket but if that wasn't hampering me I can get anything, nothing has to be returned. In the first term I bought coloured paper, science kits(young scientist) and books needed for history etc. My order last week is for AAS level 2, some new math books, AAR pre-level 1, some more science kits (science on a nature walk etc), and a huge 3 level wooden dollhouse. The dollhouse is mainly for dd4, it will keep her busy while I teach ;) Like I said with my current school board no real restrictions.

If I was not having to only order with a PO right now I would have spent it slightly differently. I would have bought some more high quality art supplies. I want a decent easel for dd12, she has been asking for one for a year, I want beeswax block crayons for the kids, a wood burning kit and leather kit and I would have ordered the kits I want from corps for rediscovery. Computer ink, paper, folders etc for our lapbooking.

I usually order my things 1-2 semesters ahead. So a good portion of what I order last week is actually for the fall. I have a few more things to order in the fall but most of my funding then will be for winter term etc. Each semester I buy something fun that is not totally school related, like this term was the doll house, last term was some new board games.

Thank you everyone. I haven't had time to respond to each of you. Your ideas have been great. I finally got my order done last night....with $2.75 to spare (which is good, because I just guessed on GWG shipping).

Kolamum, the patchwork site looks great. I made a list of patches she could already have earned plus some she'd earn before too long....it was like over 20 patches. I know she'd love them. I'll definitely keep these in mind for the near future (I won't ask the school to buy them...I don't know what they'd say).