Menu

Weird? Or sweet?  

1. 1. Weird? Or sweet?

• Weird.
    • Sweet.
    • Rivka, there're a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted sweet. I bet she thinks of baking as her special "gift". Just like someone who knits scarves or something ~ she thought of the birthday person as she made it and wants it to be enjoyed by THEM, not the entire office. She probably thinks of it as a little confectionary work of art. ;) Too special to get hacked into in the break room.

If she does it for everyone, I wouldn't worry about it at all. You could freeze it and have it be the "two weeks from now" cake instead of THE birthday cake. She probably doesn't think of making one's husband a b-day cake as an important wifely duty that she was edging in on.

The reason I had voted "sweet" was because I'm thinking that she's just a gift challenged person like I am. I could see someone wanting to get one all-purpose thing for everything in the office - male or female, not too personal but something that most people would enjoy - voila - bake them a cake! At least that's similar to the kind of reasoning I would have for something like this. (Though I probably would cop out and not do anything for anyone!)

I voted "sweet" but only because you said she was baking a cake for everyone when they have a birthday. If she had just done it for him, then I would have said she was over-stepping onto your territory. It's a little odd, but kind of sweet.

This is so funny! My sister does stuff like this! She's a little socially "off" and I could see her not wanting the person to have to share with everyone in the office. She values family time and would want him to share it with those he loves at home, not a bunch of office mates. She wouldn't understand how the wife might interpret the gesture unless I sat her down and tried to explain. She's very odd but a very sweet person who actually is trying to be kind and thoughtful.

...What does your husband say about this person? Is she pushy in other ways? If she's kind of odd overall, I'd be tempted not to worry about it -- as long as she wasn't makes passes at him or otherwise crossing serious boundaries.

Sandy

Call ME weird but because of her insistence that he take it home I would want to see HER eat a piece first. My head immediately goes to "What's wrong with it?" If she's weird in general I would not eat it. Just saying.

HA! I thought the same thing! What if she really IS after him, but decided to off the wife and kids by giving them poisoned funfetti cake? Then, she'd be around to comfort him through his terrible pain and move in on him (well, provided no one figured out that it was the cake that killed the family. Oh, wait. If he had poisoned cake, he'd die too. Never mind.)

She's weird and controlling. (Does she know he's married?)

It strikes me as controlling, too. She may have had good intentions, but insisting he take it home to his family without even considering that the family may have had cake plans of their own seems controlling and short-sghted.