Menu

We went back to Netflix, what should we watch?

The kids were begging to have Netflix again, and so last night I renewed our subscription. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they selection has improved, in my opinion.

So what was the first thing we watched? Justin Bieber's movie, lol. It was actually really good. I cried. He seems like a sweet kid, and two of my daughters want to marry him. :lol:

I just wanted to get your recommendations for some things we can watch. I already saw that they have tons of National Geographic specials, including one about Alaska. Since that's where my brother is stationed, we will definitely watch that one. They also have all of the Blue Planet episodes; we've been wanting to see those. TV shows, documentaries, movies, anything. Tonight Patrick and I are going to watch the original Dracula. I recently read Dracula and got scared out of my wits, so this should be interesting. :tongue_smilie:

Now I'm wondering if I should cancel a chunk of our cable. We have pretty much every channel you can have. My husband loves to watch TV in the evenings, and all of those channels have been his treat. But now he's realizing it's all pretty much crap. He doesn't want to go down to just basic cable, but we can do an in between level and hopefully save some money in the process.

Anyway, thanks for you recommendations!

The kids were begging to have Netflix again, and so last night I renewed our subscription. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they selection has improved, in my opinion.

So what was the first thing we watched? Justin Bieber's movie, lol. It was actually really good. I cried. He seems like a sweet kid, and two of my daughters want to marry him. :lol:

I just wanted to get your recommendations for some things we can watch. I already saw that they have tons of National Geographic specials, including one about Alaska. Since that's where my brother is stationed, we will definitely watch that one. They also have all of the Blue Planet episodes; we've been wanting to see those. TV shows, documentaries, movies, anything. Tonight Patrick and I are going to watch the original Dracula. I recently read Dracula and got scared out of my wits, so this should be interesting. :tongue_smilie:

Now I'm wondering if I should cancel a chunk of our cable. We have pretty much every channel you can have. My husband loves to watch TV in the evenings, and all of those channels have been his treat. But now he's realizing it's all pretty much crap. He doesn't want to go down to just basic cable, but we can do an in between level and hopefully save some money in the process.

Anyway, thanks for you recommendations!

Star Trek: Enterprise, Voyager, Deep Space Nine....... :D

Battlestar Galactica

Those have taken most of my TV/ Knitting since September.

I'm looking for new series to watch. And I'm entertaining the idea of starting 24. I try to pick things that I can watch with my children. I'm not sure 24 is PG. Even Star Trek got a bit racy at the end of the newer series.

:lurk5:

The Waltons, Voyagers (one-season hit from back in the 80s about a time traveler. Yes, another one, lol), all of the Start Trek spin-offs (we just finished Voyager ::sniff, sniff::), Star Gate SG-1 (after the pilot, there's nothing racey, AFAIR), Murder, She Wrote, Lark Rise to Candleford, Quantum Leap, lots of Masterpiece Classics...

The Waltons, Voyagers (one-season hit from back in the 80s about a time traveler. Yes, another one, lol), all of the Start Trek spin-offs (we just finished Voyager ::sniff, sniff::), Star Gate SG-1 (after the pilot, there's nothing racey, AFAIR), Murder, She Wrote, Lark Rise to Candleford, Quantum Leap, lots of Masterpiece Classics...

Unfortunately, I started watching Lark Rise to Candleford right before we decided to cancel our DVD subscription and do only streaming, so I never finished the series. I keep hoping it will be available on instant. There are some other very good Masterpiece ones on Netflix.

you should watch (make sure you're signed in)

Howl's Moving Castle (brilliant)

Spirited Away (brilliant) disk only

The Secret of Kells (brilliant)

Babies (awesome)

Into the Pride (awesome)

How to Train Your Dragon (disk only)

Despicable Me (disk only)

Cinderfella (disk)

The Nutty Professor

Operation Petticoat

Blue Hawaii (humor me, I miss my childhood and Sat afternoon channel 11 movies)

Godzilla Vs. Mothra (zomg, watching now, voiceovers are AWESOME!!!)

depending on your kids True Grit (amazing)

with Dh

Date Night (freakin hysterical)

Pirate Radio (awesome)

Firefly :D

Chocolat

Practical Magic

Edited by justamouse

I'm not sure if your girls are old enough yet to appreciate these, but one of my all-time favorite Netflix series was the newest Little Dorrit series.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Masterpiece_Classic_Little_Dorrit/70115059?trkid=2361637

They were excellent!

Another favorite -- although these would be for you and your husband, not the girls -- are Foyle's War.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Masterpiece_Mystery_Foyle_s_War/70143821?trkid=2361637

Some foreign movies (rated PG13 or R) that I've enjoyed recently:

Three Colors: Blue

White, the next one.

Red, the last in the series

These are all related, but you don't really see it until the end of Red. Adult, with affairs and such, but sooo good.

Wings of Desire (we let dd see this one)--a foreign film in German, French and English, about an angel who decides to become human (not a Christian film). It's so beautifully done. Really wonderful.

The Sacrifice This one is weird. It has some sex in it.

All are very "artsy-fartsy" but really interesting.

Sigh. I am trying to get up the nerve to drop cable and keep just Netflix. I NEED to do that since we now have the apartment PLUS the house and all the bills to go along with that.....ds11 and my step sons watch Netflix quite a bit....only thing dh and I watch so far is Bones. It is hard enough to keep going with those...time being so limited. We are only on season 2!!!

Star Trek: Enterprise, Voyager, Deep Space Nine....... :D

Battlestar Galactica

Those have taken most of my TV/ Knitting since September.

I'm looking for new series to watch. And I'm entertaining the idea of starting 24. I try to pick things that I can watch with my children. I'm not sure 24 is PG. Even Star Trek got a bit racy at the end of the newer series.

:lurk5:

Several years ago someone loaned us the 24 DVDs and we watched them marathon style. For regular television they were rather intense. Even when though all the violence isn't shown it is obvious what is happening and the themes are pretty scary for children. Saving the world from terrorists, etc.

We led the series but I wouldn't let your children watch it without previewing it first. I will warn you that every episode and every season just about ends in a cliff hanger so we lost a lot of sleep staying up to see what happened next. "just one more episode and then we can go to bed....":tongue_smilie: