Menu

Paula Deen -- do people really cook and eat like that?

"I see a fundamental problem with saying that people can eat any way they want to. We are all paying for those who end up with all the health problems because of their lifestyle decisions. Unless they have decided to free themselves from all medical "systems" and take resposibility to pay for thier treatments by themselves, this is an issue that affects everyone who is part of the system. I think people who abuse their bodies should pay the consequences. That is only natural. How that looks in reality is another problem however."

Well, not really so much. The most expensive thing you can do is to live to a ripe old age and die slowly. People who die early of heart attacks or strokes are actually saving quite a bit of money.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/07/16/128569258/the-friday-podcast-death-saves-you-money

I believe the insulting thing for most people is that she cooks what is scientifically proven to kill you early (with exceptions, of course) and is now representing a drug manufacturer of diabetes drug injections.

That's an over-statement. Even smoking, something we know absolutely for sure is bad for you, takes only a few years off of your life on average. Even estimates generally accepted to have been inflated say only half of smokers will die in a way related to smoking (stroke, heart attack, lung cancer).

The evidence on eating unhealthy food is not that clear. Most people who eat badly won't die because they ate badly. Fatty food may not be good for you, but it isn't drano.

I can't believe I'm doing this. Yes, eating that stuff Ms. Dean cooks does make you more likely to have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, and certain types of cancer. These problems also tend to shorten your life span. Smoking does, too. It's not rocket surgery. ;) I'm not going to fight with you over such silliness. I was posting to try to convey to some who were taking it awfully personally that anyone would dare feel strongly that a person not take the path of relying on pharmaceuticals when they might have the option of changing their diet and exercising. I feel you took my statement personally, too. I don't mind if you eat what you want. Go ahead~

I can't believe I'm doing this. Yes, eating that stuff Ms. Dean cooks does make you more likely to have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, and certain types of cancer. These problems also tend to shorten your life span. Smoking does, too. It's not rocket surgery. ;) I'm not going to fight with you over such silliness. I was posting to try to convey to some who were taking it awfully personally that anyone would dare feel strongly that a person not take the path of relying on pharmaceuticals when they might have the option of changing their diet and exercising. I feel you took my statement personally, too. I don't mind if you eat what you want. Go ahead~

I'm right there with you on everything.

Heck, I love Paula Deen. I cook one of her meals 2-4 times a week. Her meatloaf is so yummy. The kids love her mac and cheese recipe, too me it is WAY healthier than crap out of a box.

Her Mac and Cheese calls for canned condensed cheddar soup. It may as well be from a box with all that in that can. Someone can make an awesome crockpot mac and cheese with cheese, a bit of butter and eggs (no cheddar "soup" or sour cream to up the fat content). While I know some recipes are lighter, most of her food has a lot of extra fat and calories packed in and so many processed, low quality ingredients.

People can eat what they want but that does not mean that it is healthy. With 2/3 of American adults being overweight and so many either having type II diabetes or classifiable as pre-diabetic, it is a huge public health problem.

The evidence on eating unhealthy food is not that clear. Most people who eat badly won't die because they ate badly. Fatty food may not be good for you, but it isn't drano.

It does not need to kill you tomorrow to be bad for you. Are you aware that the top cause of death in the USA is heart disease? To say that it is non-conclusive that a diet of crappy food can kill you is a total smokescreen.

My mother died at 55. She had cancer for 14 years. Her last surgery did not work primarily because her heart was too weak and her arteries were too blocked. They could have treated her cancer longer had her heart been in better condition. Her arteries did not get blocked by accident. She made terrible food choices and we all paid the price when she died too young. I don't care that eating all junk won't get me now at 31, I want to live longer than 24 more years.

Edited by kijipt

This is the problem with reality that I mentioned in my post. ;)

Universal healthcare doesn't frighten me. People eating what they want doesn't frighten me. I eat whatever I want. However, I do find it very disturbing to know that my money is being dished out to pay for expensive medications and surgeries for people who choose to live in a way that will necessitate them. It is what it is and I live with it. That doesn't mean I like it.

I would gladly return to an era of full responsibility for healthcare and charity for those who cannot pay. But I'm not naive enough to think it will ever happen.

However, I do believe that as individualistic as we think we are, all our actions have universal consequences. They do affect the people around us. Someone on the other side of the country eating the worst of the SAD diet every day does affect me and you. We pay the consequences, even if indirectly.

My parents are on all sorts of medication and see a dr regularly because of their terrible health issues which are all directly related to their diet/ sedentary lifestyle. Guess what? You are all paying for that since they are on Medicare. So, yes. Please, eat anything and everything and smoke and lay around in front of the TV. But please, pay out of pocket for all your medical needs.

Margaret

Some people do eat like that, but most people - not on a regular basis.

I once saw a fascinating slide show on-line that was called "Why We're Fat." It was quite an eye-opener.

Julia Child with her real butter and cream in real recipes...I'm totally on board with that.

What I'm not on board with is a lasagna sandwich (for one) that is enough food to feed two teenage boys with more than 1/4 loaf of french bread left over.

I thought about the nutritional stats of that lasagna sandwich. I figure it's the equivalent of a large pizza. For one person.

I hear everybody about the 'moderation' and 'only on special occasions' comments, but what I don't understand is how people eat like this ever without becoming violently ill afterward!

Nobody in my family could eat that lasagna sandwich without physical suffering from overeating being a very natural result. We couldn't eat that meal once.

Same goes for the doughnut/egg/bacon/hamburger sandwich. I think if most people took a few bites of that it would come right back up, or cause a world of hurt later.

Too true. I'm lactose intolerant besides, but even without that, I cannot eat a super-heavy, gloppy, huge anything, even as a "just once" deal. My stomach would go crazy before I ate 3 bites. There are rich things that are "normal" that I can't even attempt to eat, like anything Alfredo or Lobster Ravioli with Rose Cream Sauce. (And yes, that makes me a little sad.)

I don't understand the outrage. Do you really believe that chefs/TV cooks should be required to release their medical records to their customers if they cook rich foods?

:iagree:

They are also not responsible if people choose to to eat their stuff - every viewer has the opportunity to exercise his or her free will. Which includes not watching her show at all.

Her Mac and Cheese calls for canned condensed cheddar soup. It may as well be from a box with all that in that can. Someone can make an awesome crockpot mac and cheese with cheese, a bit of butter and eggs (no cheddar "soup" or sour cream to up the fat content). While I know some recipes are lighter, most of her food has a lot of extra fat and calories packed in and so many processed, low quality ingredients.

People can eat what they want but that does not mean that it is healthy. With 2/3 of American adults being overweight and so many either having type II diabetes or classifiable as pre-diabetic, it is a huge public health problem.

Not the ones I make....and I am not worried about fat content for my children. They need it. My 3 yr old is 26lbs....

The Lady's Cheesy Mac:

Ingredients

• 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained

• 2 cups grated cheddar cheese

• 3 eggs, beaten

• 1/2 cup sour cream

• 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 cup milk

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Once you have the macaroni cooked and drained, place in a large bowl and while still hot and add the cheddar. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and add to the macaroni mixture. Pour macaroni mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Top with additional cheese if desired.

Healthier mac and cheese:

Ingredients Add to grocery list

2 cups whole wheat or regular elbow macaroni (8 ounces)

2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)

½ cup low-fat evaporated milk

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain well and transfer the pasta to a large bowl. Add the Cheddar and stir until the pasta is coated and the cheese has melted.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, eggs, sour cream, mustard, salt and cayenne pepper. Add the milk-egg mixture to the macaroni and cheese and stir well to combine. Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the Parmesan evenly over the top. Bake until golden brown and crispy around the edges, 35 to 40 minutes.

Edited by Lynn213220

Deep fried oreos are to die for!:leaving: LOVE THEM! Now, I'm drooling. I make them at home sometimes. Dip oreos in pancake batter and fry them up and serve them with ice cream! Yum.....

Most everyone around here eats like that. I've had to slowly wean my DH off of frying everything in Crisco since we've been married. His mother actually keeps a big can of it sitting on her stove so it's always ready and waiting! lol. They garden too. I've told DH that I just don't get spending all that time cultivating and growing a garden just to ruin all the nutritional value in the veggies by frying them up when you eat them!

I've joked that DH would eat shoe leather if you fried it first. :tongue_smilie:

I guess that there are people eating like that. At my daughter's college, they had deep fried night. She took a photo of the deep fried strawberry she tried. (SHe didn't like it). I think she just ate the DF shrimp which she makes a mess of because she takes out the shrimp and only eats that, not the breading.

We certainly don't eat like that. My dh sometimes watches the Food Network show DIners, Dumpsters and Dives, I think it is called. That show makes me feel ill so I generally do not watch.

It is weird- I know the studies show that putting a lot of food on the table or plate leads to overeating. I am just really strange because it makes me feel slightly ill and less likely to eat. Now if you just keep passing little plates of yummies- then I will probably eat too much. But hand me a plate with some of these foods and I would not eat.

When we go out and eat at a restaurant, we get one or two desserts for the entire family and then we share. THat is for up to five people. IF it is just dh and I, we may share and then leave some too.

When dh and I were dating, we used to go over to his parents' house every Sunday for lunch. I used to tease his mother about all the frying they did. One Sunday, we were treated to an entire meal where every single item had been fried or deep fried! Even though I grew up in the South as well, with lots of home-cookin', I'd never seen anything like that.

My IL's response was to buy us a big mammajamma deep fryer for a wedding present. :lol: I guess I shouldn't complain; we use it occasionally, and it's still going strong after nearly 9 years.

Not the ones I make....and I am not worried about fat content for my children. They need it. My 3 yr old is 26lbs....

The Lady's Cheesy Mac:

Ingredients

• 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained

• 2 cups grated cheddar cheese

• 3 eggs, beaten

• 1/2 cup sour cream

• 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 cup milk

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Once you have the macaroni cooked and drained, place in a large bowl and while still hot and add the cheddar. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and add to the macaroni mixture. Pour macaroni mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Top with additional cheese if desired.

That doesn't look bad. I'd give it to my kids, except they only like Annie's Mac & Cheese. :001_huh:Poor dh was visibly crushed the first time he made mac and cheese from scratch and both kids said it wasn't as good as Annie's. :001_huh: :lol:

I think the real question is WHY would anyone put eggs in Mac n Cheese? That would ruin the creaminess! Do I have to start a spin-off thread?!?!?!

Lynn213220- yes, Paula Deen has a recipe for mac and cheese with canned soup. The top hit for "Paula Deen Mac and Cheese" on google, as well as the recipe on many other Paula Deen pages:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/creamy-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients

• 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (an 8-ounce box isn't quite 2 cups)
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stuck) butter, cut into pieces
  • 2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Seriously, does Mac and Cheese need butter, cheese, eggs, whole milk, sour cream and canned Cheddar Soup? No.

Edited by kijipt

Lynn213220- yes, Paula Deen has a recipe for mac and cheese with canned soup. The top hit for "Paula Deen Mac and Cheese" on google, as well as the recipe on many other Paula Deen pages:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/creamy-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

• 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk

Seriously, does Mac and Cheese need butter, cheese, eggs, whole milk, sour cream and canned Cheddar Soup? No.

Of course it doesn't need whole milk, it needs half n half :-) I still don't get the eggs. The sour cream makes no sense to me because that tangy flavor should come from a good, extra-sharp cheddar and a little bit of pepper-jack to perk up the flavor. :D.

I tend to make scalloped potatoes the same way. :tongue_smilie:

Ingredients

• 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk

I never said one didn't. The ones I choose to make do not. :thumbup1:

We eat like that! Not every night, of course, but I make PD recipes a couple times a month. Here are two of my favorites.

Paula's chicken noodle. (I make my own homemade noodles though.)

Baked French Toast casserole. My family LOVES this!

That french toast is my all time favorite brunch food. Ever. She also has a recipe for a to die for squash casserole, using cheese, a little butter, and crackers. I also have tried her brussel sprouts - which were roasted with evoo and garlic. I get tickled that everyone assumes because she makes decadent, over-the-top food that there is nothing good in her repertoire. She cooks with fresh, real ingredients a lot of the time.

I doubt Bobby Flay eats grilled meat at every meal. Or the Simply Italian lady eats an appetizer, main course, and dessert every meal. She hosts a cooking show for heaven's sake. Of course she's going to cook the 'good' stuff. We all know how to dip celery in hummus for the rest of the time.

We eat very healthily, but I do make her apple pie cheesecake bars every once in a while as a big treat. I don't mind the butter or cream cheese, but it has more sugar than one should eat very often.
Same here. We normally eat a vegetable-based diet. But for Christmas, I wanted a gluten-free starch dish that I could make the day ahead. I made PD's mashed potato dish that had sour cream, butter and cheese in it. Oh, it was heavenly. Our company went crazy over it. I fought myself not to lick the serving dish clean after the meal. Would I make it on a regular basis? No way. But I would make it again for a special meal.

Of course it doesn't need whole milk, it needs half n half :-) I still don't get the eggs. The sour cream makes no sense to me because that tangy flavor should come from a good, extra-sharp cheddar and a little bit of pepper-jack to perk up the flavor. :D.

I tend to make scalloped potatoes the same way. :tongue_smilie:

I think the eggs make the dish "set up". Baked mac and cheese can sometimes be cut as large squares kind of like lasagna. Without the egg it might be more runny, like the boxed stuff.

Same here. We normally eat a vegetable-based diet. But for Christmas, I wanted a gluten-free starch dish that I could make the day ahead. I made PD's mashed potato dish that had sour cream, butter and cheese in it. Oh, it was heavenly. Our company went crazy over it. I fought myself not to lick the serving dish clean after the meal. Would I make it on a regular basis? No way. But I would make it again for a special meal.

I took my version of healthy mashed potatoes to a church potluck once. A friend took some made with 2 sticks of butter, a container of sour cream, a brick of cream cheese, and a container of french onion dip! Guess who brought home leftovers, and who had an empty dish! :tongue_smilie: Even I preferred her delicious potatoes. :lol: I wouldn't make them that way, but you can bet I'll be first in line every time I see them on the table. :D

I took my version of healthy mashed potatoes to a church potluck once. A friend took some made with 2 sticks of butter, a container of sour cream, a brick of cream cheese, and a container of french onion dip!
I totally forgot that PD's recipe also had a brick of cream cheese in it. :lol: And was garnished with bacon crumbles. :tongue_smilie: Yup. It was gooood! :D

Did I say they couldn't? Sometimes I wish I could tell my mom what to eat and what not to as she's already undergone two heart surgeries, but I know that doesn't work. It's frustrating to see someone you love do something self-destructive, then to hear their arguments such as "So and so smokes/eats like that/drinks all the time/never exercises and s/he's perfectly healthy!"

Paula Deen IS someone people HAVE pointed to in this manner, and it turns out she WASN'T healthy, and has known it for 3 years! Would these people, including my mom, have found another example of someone who gets away with bad health behavior? Probably, I won't deny it. But there's also the chance that would have made them question their own behaviors if she had come clean earlier.

Seriously? What a poor example. That's like your kid trying to say, Johnny stole candy and toys from the store and got away with it so why can't I?!!? :foot stomp: So in your opinion, it's little Johnnys fault for not coming clean on how stealing is wrong. :confused:

People need to be responsible for themselves. Stop pointing the finger at Paula Deen, no matter how bad her food is for you. I am pretty sure she has never tried to imply her food is the way to go if you want to lose weight or be healthy.