So which puppy would you pick?

Choose a puppy left to right.  

1. 1. Choose a puppy left to right.

• white boy puppy
    • golden puppy
    • golden puppy on top
    • black girl puppy
    • last golden puppy

I'd get a girl with a nice personality. We have a golden/lab mix and she's the sweetest dog, ever!! Shes very submissive to everyone - so much so DH couldn't pet her in the house for years because she'd just weaken and pee. He's a ki d, gentle dog guy so he'd take her outside and pet her. LOL!! I pick girl because the don't mark and they don't run away as often. Our dog has gotten out and she just waits by the door for us to let her in. : -) We also had a boy purebred Golden and he was a gem, too. I dont think you can go wrong!

I can't see a picture either. I would never go for a puppy based on looks, but on personality. Can you go play with the puppies and see which one chooses you? If you have a strong male/female preference you should factor that in, but personality is the main thing.

Honestly, I love girl puppies... but I ended up rescuing a boy :) Just remember the whole "easier to train" than to "retrain" .... I suggest tomato staking and kennels for puppies... with lots of play time outside and in :) Raw food is something to look at (less $$$ for better food) Raw also helps them not chew on the wrong stuff, as much. I also love Antlers for pups (and big dogs, too) And it kinda makes their breath sweet.

I could see the picture of the white one- I voted for him. I think the very white goldens are more unusual and "rare"...that being said, If you get to meet them first I would pick one with a sweet temperament...I would avoid the most hyper pup.

I am sure they are all adorable! Update with pictures when you bring your new puppy home:D.

Edited by MotherMayI

I always plan to chose a middle of the road puppy, not one that is too assertive, and not one that is shy.

I end up getting the puppy that I feel is mine. I know it is my dog, and so does the puppy. Sometimes that happens when I meet a litter, and sometimes I have to meet a lot of puppies.

When we got Aidan, though, there was none of that. I'd already looked at collie pups and adult dogs from breeders and shelters, and none of them were "the dog".

The kids agreed on Aidan immediately because when they called the puppies to them, the entire litter came, but Aidan climbed on top of the other puppies so he could reach the kids first. My sons thought he was cool and decisive, and DD would have taken any puppy in the world.

I was busy talking to the breeder, checking out her proofs of various health tests done on the parents, and meeting the adult dogs. Luckily, it all worked out because before I knew it, we had a puppy.

Edited by RoughCollie

We have boy and girl goldens (cousins), and love them both so much. Our boy is much more obedient, rides in the car easily, doesn't bark, comes when called immediately, in short, easier. So based on experience I would pick the boy even though our girl is also an incredible dog (my boy as a pup is in my avatar). One thing that is different about them - our boy is a dark golden and our girl is light. Dark goldens are more of a hunting breed than their ligher counterparts. Good luck -- you can't go wrong. Goldens are wonderful dogs.

Can you meet the litter and then choose?

I've had two dogs, and both were chosen from the litter. The first was picked because she was laid back and very... chill. Even as an 8 week old puppy she was so... relaxed! She ended up being laid back for her entire life.

The second puppy was.... well, the opposite. She was chosen because she was the runt of the litter, and spunky. And boy did I pay for that spunk! :tongue_smilie:She's 9, and still a handful sometimes!!

Whichever one pays the most attention to YOU when you go see them. That is how we got our Labrador. The other pups rolled around playing, but he came over to investigate us. :D He was a paler yellow than his litter mates, and a lovely, mellow dog (even after being attacked and chomped by a loose pit bull when 18 months old.) We got a male since that was all the breeder had left (and cheaper than the females.) Captain is six and a half years old now, and a very Good Boy. He looks exactly like Marley, but is NOT a Marley, if you know what I mean.

Edited by JFSinIL

I agree with picking by temperament. Two other considerations--boys cost less to neuter, and, if temperaments were equal, I'd get the one who's hair color most closely matches your floors...:D (I thought my Golden didn't shed, the first week I had him--turns out his coat is the exact color of my wooden floors...and yes, he sheds.)