Menu

Crafts necessary for preschool?

Mergath

Here's my confession for the day: I hate structured crafts. Things like gluing cotton balls onto a picture of Santa for a beard or tracing a hand to make a turkey. Finding them and setting them up and explaining them drives me insane.

Now, dd has crayons and acrylic paint and watercolor and magazines to make collages out of and playdough... She's not lacking art supplies, and she spends much of her day making pictures with the various art supplies. So, is she going to suffer horribly if we aren't doing structured crafts every day?

And just to clarify, I love doing projects, just not crafts. If that makes sense.

Thanks!

Here's my confession for the day: I hate structured crafts. Things like gluing cotton balls onto a picture of Santa for a beard or tracing a hand to make a turkey. Finding them and setting them up and explaining them drives me insane.

Now, dd has crayons and acrylic paint and watercolor and magazines to make collages out of and playdough... She's not lacking art supplies, and she spends much of her day making pictures with the various art supplies. So, is she going to suffer horribly if we aren't doing structured crafts every day?

And just to clarify, I love doing projects, just not crafts. If that makes sense.

Thanks!

I'm the same way and I think she'll be fine. I would just set her up a craft station and be done with it. I'll have two preschoolers next year and that's my plan... I probably will cave and order a few things from oriental trading for all three to do together since they all love that stuff.

Yuck--I hate those types of crafts, too. I also don't like colouring pages.

If she has lots of opportunity to use her hands and her creativity in a free-form, inventive way, she will be at least as well off--probably better. If you really need to fill the follow-the-steps niche, when she's older you can do some origami, which feels a lot more elegant than gluing cotton balls or pasta.

I'm big on real crafts over those busy-work type of crafts. At her age, maybe she could learn to weave with really thick yarn on a simple cardboard loom. Or she could sew on a piece of very loose weave fabric with a plastic needle. At that age, my daughter loved to use her watercolour set with blank paper. She'd mix and mix and mix colours to her heart's content. Modelling shapes, letter, or creatures out of salt dough is good at this age, too. You can smoosh them at the end, or bake them and paint later.

They are not necessary but I do think they are great a a tool for teaching little kids to follow a set of instructions. I prefer open ended art as opposed to strictly crafts, but organized crafts like that do have a decent purpose other than to just drive moms insane. There is other ways to practice the same skills, organized crafts are just one of them for families that enjoy them.

I am not crafty at all... and I really do not see the need for useless crafts (twaddled filled, I am sure Charlotte Mason would say). We do an average of 1 craft per week, usually based on the season/nature study or nearest holiday or just something useful, like beading. We made sheep puppets when we were going to to the Trailing of the Sheep Parade, for example and made dream catchers out of lambs wool. We made pinecone ornaments at Christmas to give as gifts. We did leaf rubbings this fall... you get the idea.

The kids have free access to crayons, coloring pages, and such to use in their free time... but we don't sit and put glitter on glue or make paper chaines or pipecleaner animals, lol...

:iagree:

I suspect that structured crafts were invented by preschool teachers who were trying to keep the children busy all day, and to have something to give to the parents at the end of the day so they wouldn't feel bad about having left their dc in the care of strangers all day.

I hope not since my kids hate structured crafts. They like doing crafts, they just hate doing them according to the directions. They could take the most cookie-cutter craft kit and make it something original.

I should give them more access to craft stuff but both of them still like to decorate the walls and furniture. :glare:

Oh, one more thought...

If you did like the idea of learning to follow instructions to make a finished product, there is a Kumon book that has these really neat cut-and-glue things to create. It's ALL in the book; you just supply the glue stick and scissors. And the products are really cool--each of them moves or does something neat. At this age, though, she'd still need a lot of support. Maybe best in a couple of years.

I'm a craft loving mama. So I'm a bit crazy I guess :p

ALL of my kids LOVE crafts too!

Just today my totboy whom will be 3 next month just did a cow craft. This involved him to glue and to color a little. He's not a color kid, but he will cut and glue the tar outta ANYTHING you allow him too!!

I want structure crafts otherwise I get lazy and don't do them and I think they are important for us.

I'd say as along as a child has access to art and crafting supplies, no. We have a lot of materials available. Dd 3 does enjoy doing pre-made activities like paste this here, cut this here, etc so I do include them in our activities. She does like the Kumon workbooks. I wouldn't say she *needed* them though. She has access to glue, scissors, paper, markers, paint, foam shapes, stickers, crayons, colored pencils, googly eyes, pipe cleaners, puff ball things, etc. She makes art daily on her own. She's a big fan of scissors and glue these days. :)

I'm so relieved that it's not just me, lol. And dd does get practice cutting things out- she does all the coupons for me on Sundays. Cuts them out nearly as well as I do and brings me a neat little stack. I'm not complaining. :D

I'm like the outcast mommy at library storytime though, because I let dd do the craft at the end however she wants. The other moms just do it for their kids so it's perfect, while I'm letting dd glue mouths onto eyes and such.

My DD is craft crazy - but I stopped doing structured craft because it was a big waste of MY time. I really hated spending time on telling my DD how to do it so it turned out like the picture and then throwing it in the bin straight after because it just had no purpose.

So I set up a table -put out all the art supplies and she does her own thing all day long. Sometimes I print things off the internet and put it on her table and she does what she wants with it.

I hear you on the library crafts. My DD loves to do them but I have THREE kids I am trying to help at once while everyone else has only the one preschool child they are helping. I get annoyed at having to staple and cut for my 2 yo so his can look like the model and then 2 seconds later he tears it up. So I just let my kids go for it themselves.

As I sit surrounded by three kids happily "gluing eyes to mouths" I watch the other parents basically doing the whole craft FOR their kid while their kids sits there and does nothing or tries to help and the mum pushes their hand away and says "No let me do it for you" and it really irks me because the kids learn nothing that way except that their work is not good enough so mum has to do it.

My kids walk out having had great fun making their clown with 6 legs and I let them play with them till they fall apart (hopefully soon so I can throw them in the bin quicker LOL) but the other parents carry their kids creation out for them and won't let them touch them and say things like "Let me hold it so it doesn't get ruined and we can show Daddy what you made" :confused:

Anyway - let your child be creative on their own -it is more fun for them and they can take ownership of their work and remember

"it's the process that's important - not the product" ;)

They are not necessary but I do think they are great a a tool for teaching little kids to follow a set of instructions. I prefer open ended art as opposed to strictly crafts, but organized crafts like that do have a decent purpose other than to just drive moms insane. There is other ways to practice the same skills, organized crafts are just one of them for families that enjoy them.

Organized crafts are great for DC to learn how to follow instructions. If you can find another (fun) way to teach this skill... sports, games, cooking, cleaning (fun for me!), then I would say ditch the crafts. No harm done.

I think coloring, cutting, and glueing (squeezing a bottle, not a stick) are great hand strengthening activities to prepare for handwriting. If you have that covered in another way, great! If not, consider buying a pre-prepared craft curriculum. I LOVED The Learning Box Preschool for the crafts!

Short answer: no. Your child is fine. Wait a bit, then teach her something USEFUL instead: weaving, sewing, anything. If Laura Ingalls could embroider or whatever when she was 4, your dd can, too. I have the Kumon book the pp mentioned, and I like it, but I doubt it's what you're looking for. ;-)

(visit any Charlotte Mason site for support in teaching your kids handicrafts instead of "throw-away crafts")

She will be just fine.;) I did a bunch of those for a year or two and then I got sick of them. We do them occasionally but really they just end up in the trash at night when no one is looking.:lol: After reading Charlotte Mason I gave myself permission not to plan these anymore.

My dc went to an excellent preschool that did NOT do crafts. The director's philosphy was that the type of crafts like gluing the cotton balls on Santa's beard are for the parents' benefit, not the kids. They did do art--things like studying the Sistine Chapel and then putting paper underneath a table and painting while lying on their backs. There was a much greater focus on "process" than on "product." They also did a lot of activities that developed small motor skills, such as cutting wrapping paper and wrapping "presents" while playing house.

Ew. No. The closest we come to those kinds of crafts are the Kumon books, and the results of those efforts get tossed into the craft box to be used in freeform masterpieces. A naturally crafty kid would learn all those cutting, folding and sticking skills without the Kumon books, I'm sure; but my kiddo likes a bit of officialdom so we do them.

Call me a helicopter mum, but I'm really pushing the idea that scissors are for "school" and not for free range cutting of hair and sofa. Y'know, since that time last year when she cut her hair down to her scalp on one side and they both cut up the sofa. I'm sure other people's children limit themselves to hair, which is a renewable resource at least...

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

So, is she going to suffer horribly if we aren't doing structured crafts every day?

No! :lol:

I'm so relieved that it's not just me, lol. And dd does get practice cutting things out- she does all the coupons for me on Sundays. Cuts them out nearly as well as I do and brings me a neat little stack. I'm not complaining. :D

I'm like the outcast mommy at library storytime though, because I let dd do the craft at the end however she wants. The other moms just do it for their kids so it's perfect, while I'm letting dd glue mouths onto eyes and such.

I never did structured crafts with my kids, because I couldn't see the point and I still can't. Or, if people tell me some goals of structured pre-school crafts, I find or remember other ways of accomplishing those goals. My kids always had (have) lots of craft supplies around, and lots of time to play around with them and develop fine motor skills. They knew they could make a craft having to do with a story or subject they were learning about if they wanted to, and sometimes they did. But their fine motor skills and ability to follow truly necessary directions developed despite this "lack.":D They can both crochet and hand-sew, they can type, they can cut things out neatly, they can glue and tape things, they can manipulate legos and paintbrushes and pencils, etc. etc. etc. I do tend to think that group crafts is simply a time-filler. I would just let her continue to put those group crafts together however she wants to - who knows, maybe she'll be an abstract artist! :D

I suspect that structured crafts were invented by preschool teachers who were trying to keep the children busy all day, and to have something to give to the parents at the end of the day so they wouldn't feel bad about having left their dc in the care of strangers all day.

Could be. :001_smile:

I also had experiences using process-based art (vs crafts) where the parents thought nothing educational was happening because we weren't "making anything."

All it takes is a little parent education, imo.

I was just thinking today I must be awful mom because I'm not interested in organized crafts. DD will spend hours cutting and pasting making random stuff, but the kids never seem to enjoy making directed crafts. We tried the big snowflake thing that was posted over Christmas. I made two by myself before the kids begged to go outside. I'm glad to see I'm not the only non-crafty mom.

I felt guilty too when my dd4 asks to do craft or messy art. But I just have lots of construction paper, scrapbooking scraps, glue, age-appropriate size scissors and just let her do whatever she likes. My older daughter is quite an artist and has many art books, origami stuff, different art mediums. She does most of the art projects with my little one and they come up with things so creative it's not even found in books. Love it.