Menu

If I love Downton Abbey, what other shows will I like?

I haven't posted on the boards for a long time, so first, let me say, "HI" to any of the old gang who might be still hanging around.

I just discovered DA on Netflix Instant Streaming, and I'm swept away with it! I've never watched any of the Masterpiece series - are they all this good? I really have never watched a drama series, so now I'm wondering if there is a whole new world out there for me :).

BTW, we got rid of our tv services, so the series would need to be on Netflix instant streaming, Amazon prime, or Hulu.

Side question: is American Idol, my guilty pleasure, available on one of the above tv services?

Good to be here!

OKCyndi

http://www.twoedgetalk.com

I love everything BBC Masterpiece Theatre does (including their mysteries).

If you like Downton, you'd likely love:

Bleak House

Little Dorritt

David Copperfield

Me too. We pretty much watch most things they put out - on the classics. The modern stuff is hit or miss (IMHO). Mysteries are usually pretty good. I miss Morse though.

• 3 weeks later...

There is the old MT Cold Comfort Farm. The 1990s movie of the same name is enjoyable. You could also try the movie Gosford Park. He put 4 bad words in it to get an R rating to "keep the giggling teens from ruining for everyone", but I only heard one. Stellar cast, from Frank Thorton (Captain Peacock) in a non-speaking role in the first scene to Maggie Smith and Helen Mirren.

In addition to all the above suggestions, I have enjoyed:

The Way We Live Now

The Buccaneers

Nicholas Nickelby

Jane Eyre (2006)

Wuthering Heights (2009)

I have yet to read/watch the rest of Anthony Trollope's collection, but they are on my to-do list :)

I'm surprised no one mentioned Upstairs, Downstairs on this thread... though I'm not sure if it's on Netflix instant.

:iagree: I was just going to put that as my suggestion. Dh and I loved it. Only season 1 is streaming, though. You have to order the rest of the seasons on disc.

• 6 months later...
Coming in late to this thread to recommend:

Berkeley Square.

It's a 10-part miniseries set in London, 1902. It centers on three nannies and the families they work for.

Not quite as well done as Downton Abbey (what is?), but it did help console me when I had finished up with Downton Abbey season 2. ;)

Thank you for posting this! I saw part of this series years ago and always wanted to see the rest, but couldn't find out what it was called. I think I had the name close at one point, but no matter where I searched it didn't turn up. Off to locate it now!