Menu

I am embarassed to run in public...

I am trying to get into the habit of running, since I enjoyed it in my youth and I really do need some sort of regular exercise activity. However, I am a very slow/out-of-shape runner, and I find it embarassing to run around the neighborhood/in public. Also, I usally run in a skirt (for modesty reasons), and while the skirt doesn't slow me down or affect my running, it does attract a lot of stares.

I do some treadmill running, but I prefer "actual" running. I signed up for a beginners' running group, but that doesn't start until springtime. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to confidently run in public? Am I the only one who feels embarassed in this way?

Thanks,

Hadassah

I say, do what you need to do for your body and forget everybody else. You're not out there to impress; you're out there to be a healthy individual. Now, if you're running in a long skirt, it's not something 'usual' so expect a few stares...but you're the woman out there getting healthy while others are just watching. ;)

Come check out our social group here for runners. You'll find tons of encouragement! http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/group.php?groupid=109

Edited by Alenee

I've never been a jogger but have slowly been starting to jog. At first I felt silly and just a bit out of place. Definitely a stretch out of my comfort zone.

I find when I jog listening to music or an audio book with headphones I am much less self conscious. I tend to zone out a bit even.

Good luck and do what works for you! :)

You are a role model for everyone who sees you run, by showing that people who don't look like they stepped out of a Nike ad, or don't run like someone in a Nike ad, or who are older than people in Nike ads, can still enjoy athletic pursuits. You'll never know how many people may be inspired by seeing you run. Rather than judging you negatively, people will look up to you as someone who doesn't let things like age or ability or appearance stop you from trying something athletic, something new, something you enjoy. They will realize that if you can do it, they can do it. It's all good.

I say, do what you need to do for your body and forget everybody else. You're not out there to impress; you're out there to be a healthy individual. Now, if you're runnting in a long skirt, it's not something 'usual' so expect a few stares...but you're the woman out there getting healthy while others are just watching. ;)

I agree!

When I see someone out there not running the fastest, looking a little awkward, maybe like a beginner, I think "Go runner!" Really and truly. I admire anyone getting out there and trying to be healthy.

I am a beginner too. :)

Cat

People might give you a second glance because at first glance it isn't clear you're jogging because you're not in what's deemed typical running attire, kwim? Maybe along the lines of 'what's she running from? *stares* oh she's jogging!'

Could you try a black running skirt over black running tights? Maybe it wouldn't be as noticeable. (btw, I'm not saying it's right for people to notice/care what you wear, just offering a thought on why people might look twice since you feel uncomfortable)

I like to run in a skirt, too, although mine is shortish--it's a running skirt from REI that I have had for several years. It falls about 2 inches above the knee, and it's black. I wear a big oversized tshirt with it, and I feel thoroughly frumpy and very comfortable. I have seen people older than I out in jogging suits, but I would overheat in something like that. Still, the range of ages out jogging around here is comforting. Maybe you will find that to be true as well.

1) They make some ADORABLE running skirts. Google one up and buy it. It'll make you feel FAST and ADORABLE. Oh, so cute. I've been dying for one, but haven't splurged yet, as my shorts are fine for me.

2) Noone is staring at you b/c you are slow or out of shape! If they are out exercising themselves, they are much too focused on their own workout to think about you other than to avoid running you over, and to share a smile/wave as they pass by.

Honestly, any normal human being is going to feel friendly about you if they even think about you AT ALL. (You know, most of us are too busy in our own heads to notice much around us.) If they are also a runner, then they'll be happy for you, either in a "oh, I remember when I was starting out! How exciting! Good for her!" or in a "hey, another woman local runner . . . I wonder who she is and if she would run with me?". If they are not a runner, then they are either impressed ("Wow! Out in this cold!", shamed ("she's out here running, and I am DRIVING three blocks from my office to McD. Maybe I should get a salad, or maybe I should run after work."), or whatever.

Only a total ass would look at a slow runner and think, "Wow, she's so slow! And fat!" Really?! Who thinks like that?!

Would you really care what such an ass thought about you? Really?

If you've run in races, you know that there are always lots of people faster and lots slower. The HM I ran Sunday had runners who completed it in just over an HOUR. That's 13.1 miles in a few minutes over an hour. Good lord, almighty. Then there were those of us a bit over 2 hours. Then there were others who were three hours! Serious hardcore runners were still many, many minutes slower than the winners. Only the elites are at the top . . . the rest of us always have plenty of folks both slower and faster than us.

I GUARANTEE that NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THE 350+ folks who finished this hardcore 13.1 mile race in the winter in WV Sunday. . . NOT ONE OF US thought ONE bad thought about ANY other person out there. It JUST ISN'T the way people think post-highschool. (And, if there is some cretin somewhere who is stuck in jr. high, so be it. Let it go!)

3) SLOW IS OK! Slower is often better!

So, get over it, and GO FOR IT!

Happy Running!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a role model for everyone who sees you run, by showing that people who don't look like they stepped out of a Nike ad, or don't run like someone in a Nike ad, or who are older than people in Nike ads, can still enjoy athletic pursuits. You'll never know how many people may be inspired by seeing you run. Rather than judging you negatively, people will look up to you as someone who doesn't let things like age or ability or appearance stop you from trying something athletic, something new, something you enjoy. They will realize that if you can do it, they can do it. It's all good.

Yes. That is all.

Did you ever watch "Friends"? There is an episode where Phoebe and Rachael start running in Central Park. Phoebe explains that she runs like she's running from Satan (Satan being the name of a psychotic dog from her childhood). You should watch it

. I always thought of this episode when I ran in civilization. Good stuff there.

Yup. I am only starting to jog/run, and I feel ridiculous. It always makes me feel so much better to see ordinary non-Olympic looking people out jogging too. :001_smile:

I am embarrassed to run in public, too, but that is because I would wet myself.

Anyway, do it. Put some headphones (ear buds, whatever), turn on some inspiring or fun music, and just go run. Ignore everything around you (except cars, bikes, dogs, etc.). People will look, but remember, people would look no matter what. When I'm out working in the yard and someone runs by, I look. It's movement and catches the eye. It isn't always judgment. If someone less than fit ran by I would stop, look, and think (probably while looking at them), "Good for them. I wish I could do that." Then I would turn around and go back to the yard work.

THANK you for all your encouragement! I don't think I'm THAT much older than a Nike model, though I'm pretty sure the average supermodel hasn't experienced several pregnancies :D .

I will definitely start listening to music while I jog. Wow. I can't believe I never thought of doing that before. * smacks face with palm *

You guys rock!

Thanks,

Hadassah

P.S. Just to clear up any confusion... I don't run in a running skirt - I run in a long skirt, preferably mid-calf-length or longer. Yes, I'm one of those psycho Jewish modest mamas! :lol:

I actually have this really nice running skirt that's mesh and tea length with built in leggings underneath. And... it's bright pink. Yay, neon! Or, should I say, '80s flashback alert!

Edited by Hadassah

I go walking very early in the morning before I milk the cow. as I have my shower AFTER milking, I have on my milking overalls, and my hair is still braided in my sleeping braid. I think as it is semi-light and I am not wearing my glasses I should be fine and not many people should notice me. I certainly hardly notice them without my glasses. But I am noticing that now it is holiday season and there are lots of early morning walkers and joggers , they are giving me weird looks.

I would suggest wearing something you feel comfortable running in, perhaps it is a baggy T-shirt and leggings or a loose jumper. Then listen to music, this will help you be distracted from yur surrounding! In your case the idea that people may be looking at you!

Good luck!

:):):)