Menu

How do you feel about others publishing or using pictures of your dc?

I'm curious how others feel about professionals using pictures of your dc for promotional items for their business. For example, if you put your dc in an art class at a local studio and the owner wanted permission to take pictures during those classes and could potentially use these pictures (and the kids' names) for printed brochures or upload them on their website, would this be an issue for you?

Would it not bother you at all? Would it bother you but not enough to withdraw from the class? Would you withdraw from the class and find somewhere else to attend?

Or, if your decision would vary, please share what you would base your choices on. Does it make a difference if you know the owner well? Would you prefer a printed brochure over an internet site?

If you would not allow for your child's picture to be published, would you mind sharing why?

Thanks, ladies. :) I'm trying to sort through my feelings on this issue.

I don't care for it, and it's not something I'd choose or leverage for.

But it's not something I'd withdraw over, or something I'd let keep me from enrolling in the future. If it bothered me enough, I might just not sign the waiver most things have in place; I've been on the admin side of those forms, and it's never a really big deal to cull any pictures that might include faces we don't have the waiver for.

I don't have any real base for my decisions. It's just an overall preference. I don't think it'd matter much to me print versus internet. My daughter did ads as an infant and toddler, and her face is still in print and still easily tracked in training videos found on the internet.

Actually, having written that out, I think it feels important to me that I choose for it to happen versus having it chosen for me. That is, if I am asked to bring my child to a photo shoot - that's fine. I can say yes, or no, I have a choice. If I get the city's newest edition of the Parks & Rec brochure and see my kid's picture on the cover -- that'd feel different. I know I'd technically have had a choice (signing waiver) but I'd feel as though I had no (other) control over how the image was used. That would raise my hackles a bit, but again - not enough to make a squeak over.

I always say no and won't sign the form. They can take pictures around my child. I do write in that if there is a specific photograph that they want to use that they can show me the photograph and if I am okay with it I will sign permission for that specific photograph.

Honestly, I don't know if I would ever have a problem with a photograph being used. I just know that I want to see it first. That way if I ever do have a problem, I can say no.

I have had someone ask me to sign on a specific photograph. It is a nice photo so I signed permission.

It was her one year old photo. She is the fairy sitting on the wall holding a rose up and looking at it.

I would ask to see each picture before it is used. Just make sure that little girls are sitting appropriately if they are in a dress, etc. I wouldn't let them use their names on the internet or a printed handout. I would give them permission to use a made up name. But never their real name. We sign photo releases for our church each year so they can use the pictures on the website and posted on bulletin boards. Names are NEVER used.

For me it would depend on if there would be any identifying information involved. I have allowed my dc to have thier pictures used in a local photographer's online and hard copy portfolio. I have allowed them to be used by the local tv station for promos. (No faces) In these situations there was zero identifying information attached; unless someone already knew my kids they would not have been able to learn thier names, or location, or whose child they were. (Beside a general guess that they live in our area of the state.)

I am very careful about what I put out into cyberspace about my family because there are people from my past that I do not want in my life. (It is the reason I keep identifying info here to a minimum, and keep a Facebook account with only 7 friends and the tightest security possible when DBIL is deployed.) That being said, if you can get assurqnce that identifying information will be protected, I would not lose sleep over it.

:grouphug: I know how nerve racking the decision process can be. Just know that you are not crazy for wanting to protect your dc.

I create the e-newsletter, brochures and other printed materials for a statewide non-profit and I have used photos of my own children, as well as others (with permission) in those. Others on our board really did not understand the reason for my insistence at us getting a model release and a photographer's copyright release for any photos of other children or taken by others and I caught a lot of flack over it.

I do not mind photos being used, however I do not generally wish for any identifying information to be included.

I sign those forms all the time and never think twice about doing so.

It may make a difference that I have kids who have been performers since they were little? Although I am a very private person whose dearest wish is to not be noticed, I had to make my peace long ago with the fact that both of mine were going to be in the public eye, whether I liked it or not.

Happened to my kiddos all the time. We volunteer at a local historical site and they have used their photos multiple times on the website, in advertising and in a movie shown to all visitors who enter the park.

My dd is a ballerina and there is so much stuff out there about her, it shocked me. This started when she was 12. When you are written up in a newspaper article there isn't anything you can do about it. She's been named in reviews of productions multiple times (including stating the town we live in). It is what it is, and honestly, it doesn't bother me. With everything out there, the odds that someone will find MY child and try to do something to her is so far-fetched it wasn't even on my radar.

The last time I googled her name I got over two pages of hits that really WERE her. :lol:

The last time I googled her name I got over two pages of hits that really WERE her. :lol:

Wow. You know, it hadn't occurred to me to try that. I just did, for both of my kids, and had similar results.

Of course, both of mine have a website/blog in their own names for "promotional" purposes with their resumes and photos and such. So, that does probably kick start these kinds of searches.

I try to keep my kids info private because my name is in the public and I prefer for my opinions to not be associated with my children. While I allow for photos, I don't approve other information. Like a PP said though when the newspaper covers something you have little choice. I found that out the hard way when a friend of mine who worked at the local paper called and told me ds was on the front page. The article had his first and last name, town we lived in and his age under the rodeo photo.

I would not have a problem with it, if it is used to promote a service or class we use. (For instance, my DD's pictures are on the website of the barn where she rides, and of the local equestrian association.)

I would object if the photo was used to promote a business we do not support, or is used in questionable context.

Living in a small town, my kids were in the newspaper a number of times. I don't see why this should be in problem - people know that we live here and see us in person.

Edited by regentrude

I'm curious how others feel about professionals using pictures of your dc for promotional items for their business. For example, if you put your dc in an art class at a local studio and the owner wanted permission to take pictures during those classes and could potentially use these pictures (and the kids' names) for printed brochures or upload them on their website, would this be an issue for you?

Would it not bother you at all? Would it bother you but not enough to withdraw from the class? Would you withdraw from the class and find somewhere else to attend?

Or, if your decision would vary, please share what you would base your choices on. Does it make a difference if you know the owner well? Would you prefer a printed brochure over an internet site?

If you would not allow for your child's picture to be published, would you mind sharing why?

I will tell you that I don't care if my ds's picture is posted on my friend's pages/sites. I might be annoyed if say a photographer friend used a picture of my very beautiful child to further her career....but when I've paid her to photograph my son and she owns the rights to those pics...I figure oh well.

I can't for the life of me see the harm in it. I view it as the norm of our day.

I would ask to see each picture before it is used. Just make sure that little girls are sitting appropriately if they are in a dress, etc. I wouldn't let them use their names on the internet or a printed handout. I would give them permission to use a made up name. But never their real name. We sign photo releases for our church each year so they can use the pictures on the website and posted on bulletin boards. Names are NEVER used.

I would not be happy if an immodest shot was posted of my child. That would be a case for asking for it to be removed....however...beyond that...can I ask why you would care if your child was identified?

I would have a problem with it.

I don't profit off my kids and I'm not keen on anyone else doing so either. Especially when I have paid them money for a service - it seems to irk that I paid for a service and they are trying to make money off my kid.

But I'm also not really okay with newspapers doing it either.

Idk. It bothers me.

I always wonder how anyone survives witness protection.:lol:

I'm curious how others feel about professionals using pictures of your dc for promotional items for their business. For example, if you put your dc in an art class at a local studio and the owner wanted permission to take pictures during those classes and could potentially use these pictures (and the kids' names) for printed brochures or upload them on their website, would this be an issue for you? Not if I had already signed a registration form allowing them to do so.

Would it not bother you at all? It would bother me only if done without approval but even then I do not consider it a big deal. Parents at sporting events and other extracurricular events often post pictures of their children and others children on social networking sites. Would it bother you but not enough to withdraw from the class? It would not bother me. Would you withdraw from the class and find somewhere else to attend? Only if I were unsatisfied with the class for some other reason.

Or, if your decision would vary, please share what you would base your choices on. Does it make a difference if you know the owner well? No, only that approval obtained prior to printing/posting. Would you prefer a printed brochure over an internet site? Does not matter.

If you would not allow for your child's picture to be published, would you mind sharing why? Not applicable. Well, I guess if my child himself objected to use of his photo, I would not allow.

We have a photo release on our enrollment agreement. If someone says nowe just don't use those pics. We have only had one family opt out and It was for foster children. We put show pics on our website in slideshows. Pictures are the best way to attract new customers. Our students fight to be in our advertising!

When we did a billboard with one little girl, we got specific permission. They went and took pictures under it. Pictures are an important part of advertising for kids activities. Most bisinesses will use pics of students/participants. They also want the pics to male.them .look good. Most businesses will not use a.shot where a kid.flashes the camera in a turn. I know we are.very careful, you still have to be careful and pay attention, but unless you have your kids with the who.g kind of people to begin with, the pictures will be tasteful and show kids having a good time.

I sign those forms all the time and never think twice about doing so.

It may make a difference that I have kids who have been performers since they were little? Although I am a very private person whose dearest wish is to not be noticed, I had to make my peace long ago with the fact that both of mine were going to be in the public eye, whether I liked it or not.

:iagree: This is how I feel about it as well.

If it were a business I would expect them to ask permission before doing it. My kids have been photographed and videotaped by so many people when they are performing and people don't always ask permission or even do it in a way that I might notice the entire time (maybe recording them from an audience of people and I stumble upon a video somewhere and wonder how that got there). I always appreciate when someone asks permission.

Edited by Donna
added info.