Menu

S/o LDS "Mormon" jello Recipes (others welcome)

Jello is a _______  

1. 1. Jello is a _______

• Salad
    • Dessert
    • Either depending on filling
    • other

I know I said no more food threads but somebody brought up Jello on another thread. :lol:

Here is my White Grapefruit and lime Jello recipe.

It really is from a Christmas layered Jello that my mom would make till she couldn't eat grapefruit so now she doesn't make it. But I think I am going to have to try to make the green part as that was always my favorite.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1643,157170-244194,00.html

So marshmellow, carrot and cottage cheese girls give me your best Jello recipes.

And be sure to vote.

ETA By salad I mean a sidedish eaten with a meal.

Edited by jennsmile

Well, I haven't made this in ages and probably never will again but I did like it at one time:

Lemon Jello cake

Make one boxed lemon cake according to directions in a greased 9x13 pan. Let cool thoroughly. Poke holes throughout cake with a fork or skewer. Make 1 package of lemon jello with half the boiling water called for. Let cool slightly. Pour over entire cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Spread with whipped topping. Eat cold.

Well, I haven't made this in ages and probably never will again but I did like it at one time:

Lemon Jello cake

Make one boxed lemon cake according to directions in a greased 9x13 pan. Let cool thoroughly. Poke holes throughout cake with a fork or skewer. Make 1 package of lemon jello with half the boiling water called for. Let cool slightly. Pour over entire cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Spread with whipped topping. Eat cold.

We make something similar, called a Big Red Cake. Use a white cake mix and make cherry jello w/ Big Red instead of water, pour over cake. Refrigerate until cooled. "Icing" is vanilla pudding, made w/ reduced milk, like you would for a pie, and mixed w/ whipped topping. Store in fridge.

:lol: When I first saw "salad" I was thinking, "Oh great, now what have those crazy Mormons come up with? Jello and lettuce?!?! EWWWW" but all is clear now. I vote for dessert.

Here's the closest I can find online for my favorite jello recipe. It's a pain in the bum to make so I haven't done it in about 6 years :auto: but it's yummy. But in my recipe, we use milk instead of water.

I voted 'Other' since you didn't have an option for "Nasty, Horrible, Jiggly Stuff That I Wouldn't Eat If It Was The Last Thing On Earth."

I probably need to turn in my Mormon Card now.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I grew up with it, I didn't say I made it for my family on a regular basis. I might have one jello box in my house currently. I used to babysit for a family every monday and would serve the kids dinner. They had it as a side at every meal I served. :tongue_smilie:

I voted other.

Jello or jellly as we call it here is a gross thing that kids eat and then grow out of liking.

Aussies occaisonally throw fruit in it -but to present it as a side or a salad or whatever :ack2:

It's colour, gelatine and sugar -what is so great about that :confused:

And yes I'm a Mormon and no I've never seen it served here at a Mormon function except for the one time when an American bought it (it remained untouched except for her family)

Edited by sewingmama

:lol: When I first saw "salad" I was thinking, "Oh great, now what have those crazy Mormons come up with? Jello and lettuce?!?! EWWWW" but all is clear now. I vote for dessert.
Hey, half of the ward dinners we went to when I was a kid served jello on a lettuce leaf!

My mom always stirred in applesauce just before it set up. That I liked. As long as it was strawberry jello.

I voted other---jello should not every be served! I guess it is something one has to grow up eating to enjoy it!

And yes, I am Mormon!

Our hometeachers invited us over for supper. Since we have a large family they made a HUGE jello salad. None of my kids even knew what to do with it! I felt bad leaving that large container of jello salad behind for the two of them to eat alone.

Edited by missmoe

Jello is not food.

Funeral potatoes, on the other hand..... :)

Ooh, now I want funeral potatoes! Pregnancy craving strikes again. :tongue_smilie:

My MIL recently brought what I think she called Jello fluff? My nose told me that it was poison. I think it was loaded with artificial sweeteners. Yuck. :ack2:

I reserve Jello for people with tummy problems or as a topping for popcorn. :)

To my MIL it is a salad. No meal is a "real" dinner without it. Or, as she has often said at my house, "Oh, you're not having Jello salad (except to her it's one word...Jellosalad)? Really? What will people think?" :lol:

Having said that, I actually do have some good Jello recipes. Born out of necessity and 24 years of marriage. I'll dig them up and pass them along. :D

My MIL recently brought what I think she called Jello fluff? My nose told me that it was poison. I think it was loaded with artificial sweeteners. Yuck. :ack2:

Oh, I wonder if that's similar to what DHs grandma makes. It comes in pink or orange (don't ask me flavors, I don't touch it) and looks like it's been mixed with cool whip or marshmallow creme or something.

Our ward actually passes a list around for Jello Salad sign ups for the ward Christmas Dinner. The concoctions that show up are truly horrible to behold. They look straight out of The Gallery of Regrettable Food*

*(a little on the PG-13 side).

Edited by LemonPie

Ooh, now I want funeral potatoes! Pregnancy craving strikes again. :tongue_smilie:

I reserve Jello for people with tummy problems or as a topping for popcorn. :)

For tummy problems do you serve it in liquid state like my mom did?

How exactly do you top popcorn with it? Sprinkle it on or make a caramal?

Was the Fluff orange? It has cool whip, tapiocia, mandrian oranges and jello in it. My MIL loves to make it.

Oh, I wonder if that's similar to what DHs grandma makes. It comes in pink or orange (don't ask me flavors, I don't touch it) and looks like it's been mixed with cool whip or marshmallow creme or something.

Our ward actually passes a list around for Jello Salad sign ups for the ward Christmas Dinner. The concoctions that show up are truly horrible to behold. They look straight out of The Gallery of Regrettable Food*

*(a little on the PG-13 side).

It was pink fluff. Cool whip was the "other" I think. I suspect it was sugar-free jello.

For tummy problems do you serve it in liquid state like my mom did?

How exactly do you top popcorn with it? Sprinkle it on or make a caramal?

Was the Fluff orange? It has cool whip, tapiocia, mandrian oranges and jello in it. My MIL loves to make it.

Liquid or solid. :)

Popcorn:

http://m.kraftrecipes.com/dh?recipeID=54804&_E=onclick&_C=recipe_details

Oh yeah, baby! And here I just came back from the grocery store without any frozen hashbrowns or sour cream. :glare:

:grouphug: I hear you. My local HEB where I shop doesn't carry shredded potatoes only chopped ones. Walmart does but I hardly ever shop there. I have been wanting some too lately.

It was pink fluff. Cool whip was the "other" I think. I suspect it was sugar-free jello.

Liquid or solid. :)

Popcorn:

http://m.kraftrecipes.com/dh?recipeID=54804&_E=onclick&_C=recipe_details

Ahh pink fluff with strawberries. Sounds like my MIL it is sugar free! :tongue_smilie:

I knew there was a recipe out there like that. I should make that sometime. Maybe green for Saint Patty's day?

I'm not a big fan of Jello either, but I do like those poked up cakes that have it poured in.

I have been known to make a rainbow Jello salad for pot lucks on occasion. It has a certain level of show-offy "wow" factor, but it's really easy, so it maintains my reputation as a good cook without a lot of trouble. AND, more importantly, the kids love it and it all gets eaten so I don't have to take any of it home, where nobody is willing to put the stuff in their mouths...lol.

You get five or six packages of different colors (and if you're a stickler for scientific accuracy like me you get the whole spectrum and put the colors in the right order, gosh darnit). You dissolve each package, individually, in about half the boiling water it says to use on the box (it sets up good and firm so it's easier to serve--it's Jello; you can use any amount of water you darn well want, and it still won't taste good...lol). Then you put in half the cold water it calls for. Pour half of the resulting concoction into the bottom of a glass rectangular baking dish, and put it in the freezer. Make sure it's sitting flat in the freezer so the Jello makes a thin, even layer. Because it's thin, it sets up really fast in the freezer. While it's setting up, stir a tablespoon or two of sour cream or yogurt (plain or vanilla) into the other half of the mixture. This is just to make it opaque, and it doesn't really add much in the way of flavor. When the first layer is set, you pour this other half in on top of it, and put it back in the freezer to set. Now you have two "stripes" of the same color, one transparent and one opaque. While that layer is setting up, mix up the next color, again using half the water called for. Pour half of it on top of the set-up Jello in the freezer. Then add creamy goodness to the other half, and pour that in when that third layer is set up. Keep doing that until you have used all your packets of Jello (or until the pan is too full ;)). When all the layers are set, move it to the fridge, as you don't want it to freeze solid.

It looks like this when it's finished.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrzRkKqOZiZCIMkcTHtR2s5VW5FuZ_jgFKiGe9NWg4rooPZYrfInQhBalY

I've also seen some pretty nifty looking photos of it made in fancy cups, but I'm not that fancy.

One year I made Jell-O and put it into drinking glasses and served it to my kids for April Fool's Day. I think that's the last time Jell-O has been in my house.

ETA: I do like it on popcorn. I should do that for my kids, they'd think it was fabulous.

Oooh! I have to file that away for April! Thank you! That will totally freak out my Aspie but it will be completely worth it just to see the look on his face...:rofl:

Oooh! I have to file that away for April! Thank you! That will totally freak out my Aspie but it will be completely worth it just to see the look on his face...:rofl:

We would layer it in tall fancy cups and serve it with whip cream.

Wouldn't it be fun in a pitcher. Trying to pour Kool-aid and it not pouring.

My mom would make jello- for nursery. She would add knox gelatin to help it set instead of juice so the kids could pick it up with their fingers. It didn't add any sugar and was kinda rubbery.

We would layer it in tall fancy cups and serve it with whip cream.

Wouldn't it be fun in a pitcher. Trying to pour Kool-aid and it not pouring.

My mom would make jello- for nursery. She would add knox gelatin to help it set instead of juice so the kids could pick it up with their fingers. It didn't add any sugar and was kinda rubbery.

My mom used to make those for us when we were kids (briefly, until we wouldn't eat them anymore...lol). Except she called them "Knox Blox". Probably she got the recipe from the Knox box rather than the Jello box.

Is Jello a Morman thing? I had no idea. :confused:

It's common enough that we can poke fun at each other. To me it seems to be a Utah Mormon thing as I had grown up in Colorado and we didn't eat Jello that much. Once I came out here, it was everywhere!

Is Jello a Morman thing? I had no idea. :confused:

It is a Utah thing. From Wikipedia.

Green Jell-O was declared the "Official State Snack" of Utah, with Governor Michael O. Leavitt declaring an annual "Jell-O Week."[8] During the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, the souvenir pins included one depicting green Jell-O.[9]

Utah also has the highest consumption of Jell-o. We of course don't make Jell-o shots with it, but it is eaten a lot in Utah.

:iagree:Same over here. And FTR, we're not Mormon. Maybe it's a Southern thing? I know the cafeterias down here serve Jello down with the salads.

FTR my parents joined the mormon church right before I was born. Despite never living in Utah she had the Jell-o thing down. She grew up in CA but her mom was from Colorado.

My family had always eaten jello as a side dish at any holiday meal and I seldom eat it because I don't really like it. I still very much remember my first Christmas dinner with DH's family. Everyone was talking about getting ready for dessert, how good it was going to be, and so along with the rest of the group I was anticipating a special dessert for Christmas. I can't tell you how extremely dissappointed I was when I learned that my special Christmas dessert was JELLO. Which is not even a dessert in my book and certainly not for a special occasion like Christmas.

It is a Utah thing. From Wikipedia.

Green Jell-O was declared the "Official State Snack" of Utah, with Governor Michael O. Leavitt declaring an annual "Jell-O Week."[8] During the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, the souvenir pins included one depicting green Jell-O.[9]

Utah also has the highest consumption of Jell-o. We of course don't make Jell-o shots with it, but it is eaten a lot in Utah.

Jello is definitely a UTAH thing. There are not any jello dishes at lds functions here in the South.

One year I made Jell-O and put it into drinking glasses and served it to my kids for April Fool's Day. I think that's the last time Jell-O has been in my house.

The first time my kids encountered jello was at a buffet. On the salad buffet were these beautifully layered jello whipped cream parfaits. My kids each took one. The looks on their faces was priceless! The texture did not sit well with them. Asian gelatin has even a different texture!

I voted dessert because the only time I eat Jello is if my Mom's aunt makes it for me. She makes me cherry jello mixed with whip cream (into the jello to make it more mousse like) with marshmallows and marachino cherries. It's my favorite and anytime I'm back in town she makes it special just for me.