Menu

What to do about my 10 year old ds and the Youtube viewing?..

His older brothers warned me that he has been watching vulgar and inappropriate You tube videos. Our computer is in the basement so it's hard for me to monitor it. Is there a good filter program for that? I already have a filter for the Internet but apparently it doesn't work on You tubes.

We had an issue like that once. It. Resulted in ds losing ALL Internet privileges for a couple of months. I than installed K 9 and blocked a lot of stuff. The computer is also in a central location now and any other wifi equipped device is not allowed unless I can block web-browsing. Of course a talk about keeping our thoughts pure was the first step.

We had a similar problem so my dh put a block on our router. No youtube on any WIFI device allowed. He blocked netflix on our fam. rm tv, too. My oldest was most moaning about it last night. He tried to pull the 'why don't you trust me?' card.

We had a similar problem so my dh put a block on our router. No youtube on any WIFI device allowed. He blocked netflix on our fam. rm tv, too. My oldest was most moaning about it last night. He tried to pull the 'why don't you trust me?' card.

I get the, ''Why don't you trust me?'' thing all of the time. I just keep explaining that things happen by accident, sometimes it can be too tempting, it's my job as a parent to filter input, and that even adults need accountability. I hope it sinks in someday.

His older brothers warned me that he has been watching vulgar and inappropriate You tube videos. Our computer is in the basement so it's hard for me to monitor it. Is there a good filter program for that? I already have a filter for the Internet but apparently it doesn't work on You tubes.

Move the computer to a place where you are going to see what he's doing.

Smart kids can find their way around even a good filter. Having a computer where you can't see it is dangerous IMHO.

I would move the computer to a more central place in your home. Ours is right off the kitchen and I can pop in and check on what they are doing.

:iagree: Move the computer upstairs, no matter how inconvient you think it is. And then get k-9, and block youtube. My dd accidently stumbled upon p*rn while searching for an innocent video on you tube. It is now blocked.

You know, this reminds me, just this last weekend I was talking to my girlfriend back East.

True story.

Her son is a "gamer"- plays games on the computer...I don't know what else to call it.

Well, guess who's college money was robbed through a cyber lift? Yep. Thieves got into their computer and transferred his funds out. They've traced it to the gaming site. Unsavory sites are rife with this sort of thing.....

If you have **any** financial network stuff floating around on those machines- gee..I dunno...you may need a family meeting over this. Just sayin'...you may want to think this aspect over seriously.

It truly could happen one day you find yourself in an identity theft ring if their site usage is not carefully monitored and the machine has any security issues.

I haven't read all of your replies, so please bear with me if I repeat. The advice I am about to give may seem harsh, but in reality, it isn't.I am assuming that you are certain that your 10 year old has been doing this & that another sibling isn't trying to distract blame from him/herself. That would be another can of worms entirely.

IMHO, your son has shown that he is not mature enough to have access to the computer. There's actually no problem with that, 10 year old boys are immature. However, as a parent, it is your job to make the decisions for him that he can't make on his own.

My first recommendation is that you remove his computer privileges. Not suspend them, remove them. Re-evaluate this when he is older and you have seen more maturity. Second, get the computer out of the basement. If you can't monitor what is happening, the computer is in the wrong place. I honestly think that the middle of the dining room table or the middle of the living room floor is a much better location. I'd rather trip over our computer than have it in a location I couldn't monitor. Third, you need some tracking software. Blocking software serves a purpose, but it doesn't prevent everything. With tracking software, such as Spector Pro, you can record & view every single keystroke that has been made on the computer. This has given us a great deal of accountability in our household.

At the very least, you must do something. There is no reason to wait to see if things change. Sorry again if this sounds harsh, computer monitoring is something that is very important & necessary.

Move the computer. Computers in basements and teenage boys do not go together.

:iagree: Ours is in a living area and the screen is in full view of the kitchen. I don't have teens yet - I have young boys who surf for light saber and nerf gun videos, who want to watch acted-out battles, and not all of them are appropriate for kids. I can generally catch everything inappropriate right at the start and stop it. This will work well as they age ;)

and I'll look into the K-9 software. Thanks. It's different now that you tube has become so popular since my ds's older brothers were his age. He is eight years younger than them and I can see that it's harder to filter out the bad stuff than it used to be. Specter Pro sounds great too.

Don't keep the computer in a isolated location. That is a basic computer safety issue. Second, houses have different rules, but I think 10 is young for unfettered internet access. I don't allow my almost 12 year old kid to use the computer for entertainment. No google, no use of you tube etc without a specific reason and direct supervision. Kids don't use a computer in this house unless they have a specific need. I also took you tube and safari off the Itouches etc.

And as to the trust issue, it can be good to remind people that a computer is a device that is capable of communicating in both directions. It isn't (always) that I don't trust the person in front of the computer that is in my house. I don't trust the people at the other end.

It is a great teachable moment for you and your child. But, I don't think all the fault lies with him. Having a computer in an isolated area with no supervision is you asking for this situation to happen.

Move the computer. Computers in basements and teenage boys do not go together.

Even in a public area, though, even GOOD teenage boys can be tempted and look at stuff they shouldn't. A friend's son had to deal with this a few years back and her computer was in the family room in the middle of everything -- but he was home alone during the day (well, with his little sister, but she was not telling on him, just trying to get him to stop)

They dealt with the issue, but were shocked when it happened.

My husband has something on our computers (the desktop and the kids' laptops) called Bsecure. I honestly don't know much about it other than it sends an email when anything from a site that could possibly contain inappropriate material is accessed. It will provide a link to the actual video watched on video sites. It doesn't prevent them from seeing it, but I know exactly what was watched.

One way that we've combated the temptation to watch things they know are inappropriate is to have the child (my oldest ds is really the only one that has had any problems with it) sit down next to me and watch the video he viewed previously. He knows that I know what he watched and when and if it is inappropriate, he'll have to watch it sitting next to me. And then we talk about why it was inappropriate. It's enough to quelch the strongest temptation.

Move the computer somewhere in the central living area for the greater accountability of everyone who uses it. Furthermore, do not allow children who cannot make wise choices on their own even access the internet while you are not nearby to regularly glance at what they are doing.

Even in a public area, though, even GOOD teenage boys can be tempted and look at stuff they shouldn't.

Of course. I'm not sure it even matters how 'good' the boys are--if they run into something accidentally, they freeze up and go into brain overload. I think any teenager would be at least tempted, even when they know full well that it's a bad idea and their rational minds don't really want to. P0rn is designed to grab on and not let go. It's very, very powerful.

I have my somewhat younger kids (7 & 5) use only KidZui unless I am there to personally oversee what they are selecting on the internet. I have the computer setup for a parent log-in and a limited access kid log-in that doesn't allow IE, Firefox, adding programs, etc. Then I can limit it to only allowing our curriculum that might be on the computer and "fun, kiddie" stuff.

I haven't read all of your replies, so please bear with me if I repeat. The advice I am about to give may seem harsh, but in reality, it isn't.I am assuming that you are certain that your 10 year old has been doing this & that another sibling isn't trying to distract blame from him/herself. That would be another can of worms entirely.

IMHO, your son has shown that he is not mature enough to have access to the computer. There's actually no problem with that, 10 year old boys are immature. However, as a parent, it is your job to make the decisions for him that he can't make on his own.

My first recommendation is that you remove his computer privileges. Not suspend them, remove them. Re-evaluate this when he is older and you have seen more maturity. Second, get the computer out of the basement. If you can't monitor what is happening, the computer is in the wrong place. I honestly think that the middle of the dining room table or the middle of the living room floor is a much better location. I'd rather trip over our computer than have it in a location I couldn't monitor. Third, you need some tracking software. Blocking software serves a purpose, but it doesn't prevent everything. With tracking software, such as Spector Pro, you can record & view every single keystroke that has been made on the computer. This has given us a great deal of accountability in our household.

At the very least, you must do something. There is no reason to wait to see if things change. Sorry again if this sounds harsh, computer monitoring is something that is very important & necessary.

i absolutely agree with moving the computer immediately and getting spectro pro. i had to install on our computers when my son became a tween and now he is a teenager. i had net nanny before spectro pro, but like spectro pro better. i had to keep unblocking stuff that didn't need to be blocked and it was a hassle all the time for me. i review the content watched/done almost everyday. check out spectro pro. the features are quite cool.

angel

Safe Eyes has a youtube filter. It blocks viewing what it finds as inappropriate, but allows other videos. The thumbnail still shows up :glare:, but it can't be watched. The administrator (you) will get a report of what has been watched and what has been blocked. More dependable than nothing at all. I think it's free for 30 days, then $49 per year. We just renewed. Must say, though, the filter is more conducive to a windows platform than a mac (it works well on both, but on the mac it works a little too well and can be a pain).

Does anyone know if K-9 offers this now?

I don't know if this will work for you or not, but I would move the computer, put a password on it so dc had to come to you every time he wanted to use it (thus making you aware of when he was on the computer so you could moniter him more closely) or just disconnect internet all together until he could be trusted to use it again. In my opinion, internet freedom that is being abused/used for distasteful reasons is not something to take lightly. Good luck...

:iagree:

I had a son who would look at p*rn anytime he could and the computer WAS in the middle of our working area. He just worked around us. We suspended all computer privileges for a few months, then it was a whole year (repeat offender). My husband is a computer person and knows how to block but kids can learn back doors into these sites (and these sites know how to go around blocks they want kids to see it). My son had to learn to use a type writer for reports and if he needed research he had to go to the library. I feel a computer is a tool and if it is misused it is not used.

I would move the computer upstairs to a central location (ours is right off the kitchen), take away all computer privileges (except schooling) from him for a month, and after that -- only allow him to be on the internet with a responsible buddy. (older brother? parent?)

Another vote to move the computer to a common area, limit access and use some sort of parental computer-control software...and make your rules known.

I'd also want to know what he'd been viewing and plan a punishment talk to deal with it. Discussing things with mom and dad can often be a big deterrent for the next temptation.