Menu

Morning sickness remedies--please?

I don't know why I forget what this feels like. I feel icky, all day...not throwing up, just like I'm about to throw up! It's hard to make myself eat, the smell and sight of food is revolting.

I know I've got a couple more months of this to deal with. Please let me know anything that has helped for you! I've been drinking ginger tea, I ordered some papaya enzymes because I think they helped with at least one previous pregnancy. I remember hearing somewhere--maybe on here? that eating small servings of beans throughout the day is good--but I'm having a hard time making myself do it. I usually lose weight in the first trimester because I just can't make myself eat.

Super excited about a new baby, just.have.to.get.through.this.part.

--Sarah

Water is making me sick! I have started adding lemon to my water and that helps me. I eat little bots all day. I still feel awful! I hope it will get better in a few weeks!

Eat protein in the morning. The more protein I get, the better I feel. I am also steering clear of sweets. They make me sick this time around.

A friend of mine (who has AWFUL morning sickness) said that a Sonic limeade was the only thing that helped her. She would send her hubby out last thing at night to buy one and keep it in the fridge until morning.

She later found that her aunt's oncologist told her that he recommends all of his chemo patients drink a Sonic limeade to help with their nausea.

I've never experienced morning sickness with my pregnancies, but I'll pass it on to you. Maybe it will help.

:grouphug:

I take half of a unisom sleeping aid tablet and B6 at bedtime throughout my entire pregnancy (all of them). If I don't, I spend the entire next day throwing up. We tried all of the usual suggestions prior to this my first pregnancy. Now we skip all of them and go straight to the unisom and b6. It has a 40+ year safety record in Canada where it is marketed as the drug Dilectin.

I felt the same. I described it as feeling "grossed out" all the time, but I was rarely actually sick.

What helped: ginger beer from Whole Foods (can't stand it if I'm not pg), grapefruits, lemon juice in water, and avoiding sweets. I would be so hungry I would just eat whatever I saw, like a doughnut, and then I would be, oh yuck! When I learned to eat less hi-carb sweets I felt better. Also, follow your cravings-- whatever you want to eat, eat it! Plus, whatever you eat, lay down a layer of potato chips in your stomach first.;)

Hang in there!!

I don't know why I forget what this feels like. I feel icky, all day...not throwing up, just like I'm about to throw up! It's hard to make myself eat, the smell and sight of food is revolting.

I know I've got a couple more months of this to deal with. Please let me know anything that has helped for you! I've been drinking ginger tea, I ordered some papaya enzymes because I think they helped with at least one previous pregnancy. I remember hearing somewhere--maybe on here? that eating small servings of beans throughout the day is good--but I'm having a hard time making myself do it. I usually lose weight in the first trimester because I just can't make myself eat.

Super excited about a new baby, just.have.to.get.through.this.part.

--Sarah

I discovered, quite by accident, that chewing lots and lots of bubble gum helped immensely. And I didn't gain as much weight either. I would typically munch constantly to keep the icky feeling away but gum was much better at it and had fewer calories. I've discovered it also helps with the munchies and hunger pangs even when not pregnant. See if it helps.

I take half of a unisom sleeping aid tablet and B6 at bedtime throughout my entire pregnancy (all of them). If I don't, I spend the entire next day throwing up. We tried all of the usual suggestions prior to this my first pregnancy. Now we skip all of them and go straight to the unisom and b6. It has a 40+ year safety record in Canada where it is marketed as the drug Dilectin.

_

This is it! Please try it. 10 mg of the B6.

I was able to take it just at night for one of my pregnancies. The other required 2x/day. And make sure you get the right unisom. It has to have the active ingredient DOXYLAMINE.

We always use fresh ginger around here. I slice the ginger root a few times, and let that steep in hot water for 2 or 3 minutes. NO LONGER. Then I remove the ginger, and freeze it in an old ice cube tray into ice.

I put an ice cube into every drink and sip all day.

Hope you feel better soon!

Literally eating every 30 minutes. I'd watch the clock, every 30 minutes (sometimes 15 if I started to feel weird) I'd eat a few bites. Usually by lunch my stomach had stabilized and I could put the crackers away until I just started to feel a bit strange.

Mashed potatoes...salt/pepper, no butter or other fat.

Peppermint hard candies.

Herbal tea, especially mint.

Not having any coffee, even decaf, was the most important single factor for me. It still smelled good to me, so I thought it was OK, but the morning I ran out without time for any I felt better all day than I had in months. So I stopped completely, and it made a big difference.

Other people I know have liked Doritos and ginger beer (not ginger ale). And making your own ginger tea helped me sometimes--you put two little ginger 'coins' in the bottom of a coffee cup, mash them with a fork a little, enough to bruise them, and then pour boiling water on top. Let steep for about 10 minutes, strain, and add 1 tsp brown sugar.

I had severe hyperemesis with all three of my girls, as in ended up on IV fluids kinda sick. BAD! The only thing that helped me was alternating Zofran and Phenergan around the clock. I hated having to take meds, but it was the only way I could function.

Hope you feel better!!! :grouphug:

Ugh..such bad memories! Remember that scene in Father of the Bride 2 where the girls are on the couch complaining about the heat and everyone else has on a winter parka? That was me my last pregnancy. I spent most of it in my bedroom with the air conditioner and the ceiling fan on HIGH, not moving as much as possible. Heat made me run for the nearest porcelain fixture!

I wish I'd known about the unisom and B; I would have tried that. Mostly, I just suffered for 37 very long weeks.

I hope you're able to get some relief.