Menu

Type of vacuum for non-carpeted floors?

Your main way to sweep/vacuum your home?  

1. 1. Your main way to sweep/vacuum your home?

• dust mop
    • regular broom
    • electric broom
    • canister
    • upright
    • other

My Kenmore vacuum that I paid $300 for 11 years ago is likely on its last leg. Dh is thinking of finding a vacuum repair place. I say we got our money's worth of usage and it's time to move on.

My house is mostly laminate flooring with tiles in kitchen and bathrooms. My current vacuum is a canister. I have an inexpensive Bissell 3-in-1 vac that I don't like much. It feels cheap and it's really loud! My Kenmore has a quieter motor which was actually the main reason we purchased that vacuum 11 years ago. My ds15 had a terrible sound sensitivity and the vacuum we had before the Kenmore would send my son screaming upstairs and into his closet. Egads! He's gotten better but I've gotten used to the non-screeching motor.

So... for no carpet people, what is your main way to sweep/vacuum? We have 2 dogs and I have to vacuum every other day to keep from having small tufts of hair blowing across the floors!

I'm curious to see how many people use different methods of sweeping.

Years ago I bought a Eureka Mighty Mite canister vacuum cleaner and wore it to death over a long period of time because it was the best tool I'd ever owned. We replaced it with a new one four years ago and it remains my favorite. Instead of the basic model found in dept. stores, we bought this one by Electrolux, which is commercial grade yet very affordable. It is the vacuum of choice used by professional housecleaners and hotel cleaning staff. It is unbelievably low in price.

I use my little Mighty Mite 3-4 times per week to go over our mostly laminate floored home and the linoleum floors in our kitchen and baths, and then damp mop as needed. Like you, I have to clean floors every other day because we have pets and dust from living in a rural area. My vacuum is light weight, easy to go up and down stairs with, and the sucking power is amazing for such a small machine. It's also great for dusting furniture when you're in a hurry.

I know this sounds like a commercial, but I rely on this machine and would be lost without it.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

A cannister.

Secondarily, an upright with the floor attachment. That's what we had when we moved into the first house with hardwood floors. This house is two stories, carpet upstairs and hardwood down. We keep the upright upstairs, and bought a cannister for downstairs.

I also dustmop, but the cannister is good for vacuuming furniture, window sills, baseboards, etc.

My Kenmore vacuum that I paid $300 for 11 years ago is likely on its last leg. Dh is thinking of finding a vacuum repair place. I say we got our money's worth of usage and it's time to move on.

My house is mostly laminate flooring with tiles in kitchen and bathrooms. My current vacuum is a canister. I have an inexpensive Bissell 3-in-1 vac that I don't like much. It feels cheap and it's really loud! My Kenmore has a quieter motor which was actually the main reason we purchased that vacuum 11 years ago. My ds15 had a terrible sound sensitivity and the vacuum we had before the Kenmore would send my son screaming upstairs and into his closet. Egads! He's gotten better but I've gotten used to the non-screeching motor.

So... for no carpet people, what is your main way to sweep/vacuum? We have 2 dogs and I have to vacuum every other day to keep from having small tufts of hair blowing across the floors!

I'm curious to see how many people use different methods of sweeping.

I'm no help. I use my kenmore canister on the hard floors. It needed an expensive part a few years ago (the part with the turning brush) so I got a cheap bagless canister until I decided what to do. It was horrible on hard floors, didn't fit under furniture, I hated the dust from that cup that had to be emptied after each room, and I hated pushing the weight of the entire machine on every stroke. I suffered for a year, then broke down and bought the part (nothing was wrong with the motor).

I'm not married to Kenmore, but I think I'll always just prefer a canister. I've been told that the Riccar upright is designed to work on hard floors because the suction is all the way across the front and not confined to a hole on one side.

I'm no help. I use my kenmore canister on the hard floors. It needed an expensive part a few years ago (the part with the turning brush) so I got a cheap bagless canister until I decided what to do. It was horrible on hard floors, didn't fit under furniture, I hated the dust from that cup that had to be emptied after each room, and I hated pushing the weight of the entire machine on every stroke. I suffered for a year, then broke down and bought the part (nothing was wrong with the motor).

:confused: A cannister has a long hose with a wand and a floor tool, as well as other attachments. How did that not fit under furniture? And I don't believe I've ever *pushed* my cannister, as I'm usually pulling it behind me while I use the wand. :confused:

:confused: A cannister has a long hose with a wand and a floor tool, as well as other attachments. How did that not fit under furniture? And I don't believe I've ever *pushed* my cannister, as I'm usually pulling it behind me while I use the wand. :confused:

I wonder if hers is like mine. I imagine it has something to do with the way it's designed. For mine, I have to twist the whole stick to get it parallel to the floor to reach under furniture. Even then, the foot comes off the ground so I'm not brushing the floor with it which I prefer.

I haven't had an upright in 11 years, but I had carpeting back then and used a regular broom to sweep the kitchen and bathrooms. Since we got rid of all the carpeting, I can't use a regular broom anymore. It just makes the dog hair fly up into the air. I'm sort of torn between a small, lightweight vacuum and another canister. My canister is heavy though and I have to tug on the hose to get it to follow me, but I'm used to it. I like the look of the Sanitaire Mighty Mite someone mentioned. DH is not yet convinced we need a new vacuum though.