Menu

which math?

shinyhappypeople

What should we do for math? (Read 1st post)  

1. 1. What should we do for math? (Read 1st post)

• Stick with Math Mammoth
    • BJU Math
    • Horizons Math
    • A Beka Math
    • Singapore
    • Something else entirely (what?)

This for my very bright, mathy 7 yo girl. She's visual and likes pretty, colorful workbooks.

We're currently using Math Mammoth (I love that program!) and she's definitely learning, BUT... it's just not appealing to her and she seems bored. When I pull out her pages for the day she gives me irritated looks, sighs, does a few problems, draws cute faces and hair bows on the numbers, tells me stories about how the 8 is the mommy, the 9 is the daddy and the 1 is the baby sister, decorates the edge of the page, does a few more problems, rinse and repeat.

I'm hesitant to totally skip her ahead because I don't want her to end up with gaps (BTDT with older DD :tongue_smilie:) Plus, I don't know how to skip her ahead. I'm not sure what little bit we'll skip over that will end up being important to know later on, kwim? So, I have her do every lesson, about half of the problems. Also, fwiw, we're using the topic books not the grade-level curriculum.

Anyway, I'm thinking that an efficient, colorful program would be more up her alley.

Or I could just stick with Math Mammoth.

What do you think??

The Singapore textbooks are very colorful and usually have children telling a story. The workbooks are black and white, but the pages usually have some decoration or picture. I'm not a fan of Horizons as I don't think the math is introduced in a logical manner, but I know many posters have liked it.

My mathy 7 year old did well with MM but wasn't crazy about it either, presentation wise. We recently switched to Singapore, and so far, he likes it better. Get one semester worth and try it out.

As far as how to move quicker in MM. If you think she knows the material, give her the cheaper test. If she passes it, move on. We skipped much of the 2nd grade book that way.

Interesting. SM is winning by a mile. I'm mildly terrified of teaching SM, because it was such a disaster with older DD. However, it might be better with a different kid.

I should mention, we also own RightStart C (but she doesn't like the abacus and the worksheets - when they're assigned - are pretty dreary) and Miquon (doesn't like the rods, but maybe if I could get over my obsession with making her use the rods it might be okay). Singapore 1B (which is roughly where she'd place) is also on the shelf, but I don't have the HIG.

I really don't want to buy yet another math program, especially after the expensive RS C failure (great program, just not great for my kiddo).

So, I guess my thinking is in a few different places at the moment: (1) Can I make what I own work until May and then switch to something that's a better fit next school year? (2) Does it make more sense to just switch NOW? (3) If/when I switch... what do I switch to? I'm NOT a natural math teacher *at all.* I need the script and the hand holding. So, that's a big consideration when choosing the new curriculum.

Current Singapore users: How easy is it to teach?

You could keep using MM but get "fun" math books (our local barnes & noble and Target sometimes have math books) that have lots of pictures (and stickers). This could be done once a week or allow 5 minutes everyday once the other work is done. My kids would work towards to use the "fun" books, but all kids are different.

I use Horizons as my main program, and I think it is excellent. My math-guy husband also thinks Horizons is excellent. I like the spiral method so that old concepts are continually reviewed, which I think is very important for math. ***If you use Horizons, make sure to do the activities in the TM every day, including the drill.***

I also incorporate supplements including Singpore's CWP and Mental Math workbooks, as well as some MEP worksheets.

At what level is she working? The first half of the 3rd grade level of Beast Academy from Art of Problem Solving is coming out in the spring, the second in the fall. There have been a number of threads about this here lately, and it promises to be an exciting option for mathy kids.

I should mention, we also own RightStart C (but she doesn't like the abacus and the worksheets - when they're assigned - are pretty dreary) and Miquon (doesn't like the rods, but maybe if I could get over my obsession with making her use the rods it might be okay). Singapore 1B (which is roughly where she'd place) is also on the shelf, but I don't have the HIG.

My oldest doesn't like manipulatives either. He doesn't need them, and they just slow him down. Pictures are plenty for him.

So, I guess my thinking is in a few different places at the moment: (1) Can I make what I own work until May and then switch to something that's a better fit next school year? (2) Does it make more sense to just switch NOW? (3) If/when I switch... what do I switch to? I'm NOT a natural math teacher *at all.* I need the script and the hand holding. So, that's a big consideration when choosing the new curriculum.

Well, if you are going to switch math curriculum, I think the sooner you switch, the better, as you will avoid gaps from the switch.

Current Singapore users: How easy is it to teach?

With the Standards edition HIG, I think it's very easy to teach (though I *am* mathy... I'm learning some things in the HIG!). It tells you everything you need to put on the board and go over, then it tells you which problems in the TB to work together, then it tells you which problems in the workbook to have the child work on independently.

While you're possibly catching your DD up to where she is (if you think her current level is a bit too easy), you could forgo the IP and CWP until you hit Singapore 2. That would also ease you into doing Singapore period.

Another option is to get the IP and CWP to use with MM for now, then switch over to full Singapore if you think she'll prefer it. That's how I got started. I used MM to accelerate, threw in the IP and CWP for a change of scenery now and then and for some extra challenge, then switched over to Singapore when we were at a good switching point (he was no longer flying through the material as quickly - I found the level he was really at).

At what level is she working? The first half of the 3rd grade level of Beast Academy from Art of Problem Solving is coming out in the spring, the second in the fall. There have been a number of threads about this here lately, and it promises to be an exciting option for mathy kids.

I was going to suggest this one.

If you pick to go this route I recommend keep going with MM until you are ready for grade 3 Beast Academy.

I just finished a Prufrock Press book called Developing Math Talent that includes a fairly lengthy explanation of how to move advanced children quickly through curriculum. Basically, you'd test for the end of a semester and go over only the missed topics and proceed to the next level if the score was over an 85%. Between 50% and 85% you would go over the missed topics thoroughly and retest for them. In the book's method, you first need to score above 50% on an "out of level" test, which is a couple years ahead. I don't see why the method wouldn't work to get a feel for what you could breeze through in different units and chapters. It sounds like what boscopup did with MM too.

I've got a similar issue (highly visual, imaginative kid who does similar things with his math re: pictures and stories). He liked Math in Focus which is Singapore type. Visually it appealed. He's not particularly mathy though and some things I didn't like about the Singapore approach/introduction of things.

I'm muddling (again) through RightStart with him which is definitely not a good fit. I've decided it's because it's so auditory and the worksheet look really turns him off. I like the approach though and it's great for his twin brother. I'm doing almost all of it on a whiteboard or using other visual stuff.

So in your situation I'm sticking now with a program that's not a great fit but I don't know that it's the best choice.

I voted for Singapore but we'll definitely be getting Beast Academy when dd is ready for it. My visual kids drooled over the samples. If this level is right for your dd maybe you could just stick with MM for now and add in living math. My kids love math picture books. We also have the Mathtacular DVDs on the way, which I think will be a big hit, too.

I just looked at the samples.

Oh my goodness!

:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

I'm seriously considering this for next year (when the 3rd grade level is out).

ETA: oh, wait... the first part of grade 3 is out this spring? Even better.

I just looked at the samples.

Oh my goodness!

:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

I'm seriously considering this for next year (when the 3rd grade level is out).

I heard that the third grade level is suppose to come out in the spring of 2012. ... Wait that is next year. I was thinking, "That isn't next year, it's just a couple of months". :tongue_smilie:

RightStart. It is conceptually very strong, has plenty of manipulatives, just the right amount of worksheets (not excessive), and all my kids (varying learning styles) have enjoyed and become good at math by using it plus the RS math games set. Excellent curriculum. I like RS's spiral to mastery approach, and the interative nature. It is good for students to discuss what they're learning. It's essential for students to handle manipulatives (does SM use real manipulatives or just rely on colorful pics?) that are content-rich. It is hard for me to imagine a better program than RS....Jmho.

Just seconding the idea mentioned of doing more living math type books with her, regardless of what curriculum you end up with. I'll bet she would love all those Mathstart books, the animal babies math books, the Charlesbridge math books (like the Sir Cumference ones), the Loreen Leedy books (especially Measuring Penny)...

Just seconding the idea mentioned of doing more living math type books with her, regardless of what curriculum you end up with. I'll bet she would love all those Mathstart books, the animal babies math books, the Charlesbridge math books (like the Sir Cumference ones), the Loreen Leedy books (especially Measuring Penny)...

:iagree: I don't know that you need to switch as long as she's learning. My dd#2 has those stories. (Certain #s are "loners" and some are "shy" while others are "bossy" or "mean.") She also draws horses in the margins. We have a "colorful" curriculum, FWIW.

Edited by RootAnn

My highly visual learner does something similar and I use Singapore:tongue_smilie: The Singapore workbooks aren't colorful. Prior to Singapore we use Critical Thinking's Mathematical Reasoning curriculum. Those workbooks are full color and varied in the activities. I don't think there is a way to prevent the doodles.

I think she would love Singapore. The workbooks are black and white, but the textbooks are fun and colorful to look at. I teach out of the textbook first, and then move to the workbook.

The lessons are short, efficient, and teach math in a way that makes a lot of sense to anyone who loves math.

Both of my boys absolutely love it. We tried Horizon & Math U See and both bored them. Singapore is a prefect fit for these boys who like and instinctually understand math. For this math loving mom it is so easy and efficient to teach from. Repetition would drive us both crazy. Singapore requires thinking, and for a kid who can think math it takes out the boredom that math can bring without mathematical thinking.

Blessings for your decision.

My vote went to Singapore...if you feel comfortable teaching it. If not, stick with MM. Both are solid programs for teaching the whys of math.

My dd is the same way as your dd as far as the doodling/naming/storytelling goes. (Math is the only subject she does that with.) My thought on doodling is if she finishes in a reasonable amount of time, what does it hurt? She started out with Abeka 1 in K which is very colorful; it was too distracting and I did not like the spiral approach. So, we started Singapore US ed. in first grade. She has never especially enjoyed math, but she has excelled using SM.

When it comes down to it, you know what is going to work best. Pick something now and try to stick with it long term. Good luck!

Trying to say this gently, but it sounds like you've got a habit-training issue rather than a math curriculum problem. I'd suggest using a timer and setting a reasonable time limit for completion of the assigned pages. She might also do well with a sticker chart system. If she gets her work done with no doodling, storytelling, or other fooling around, she gets a sticker. So many number of stickers earns her some privilege.

Trying to say this gently, but it sounds like you've got a habit-training issue rather than a math curriculum problem. I'd suggest using a timer and setting a reasonable time limit for completion of the assigned pages. She might also do well with a sticker chart system. If she gets her work done with no doodling, storytelling, or other fooling around, she gets a sticker. So many number of stickers earns her some privilege.

Received in the spirit you intended :)

I'm going to think about your suggestions (timer, etc.). They might really work with her. Thanks for the feedback :)