Menu

in stealth mode...

There have been some years when I immediately took down the Christmas decorations the day after Christmas. When I was a child, the decorations never came down until after the new year, and of course, they never went up until the day after Thanksgiving. My mom heard it was bad luck. :001_huh:

Adding that there have been years when I haven't taken the tree down until February. It just seems to vary. This year the tree will stay up until the second of January because DH is visiting us and will leave on the first. After that all the decorations need to be packed for the move.

Edited by Myeightkiddies

I usually take the stuff down and get it out of my sight before dinner on Christmas day but we ended up at two different parties and came home too exhausted to do anything. I had to work today so my kids have a little note on the kitchen counter in front of the coffee pot (where I KNEW they couldn't miss it) instructing them to have it done before I get home. I have enjoyed the holiday but I am so ready to get back to our routine! And yes, my kids drink coffee. The youngest is 12 and I'm pretty sure he is drinking it to look older. :D It makes me laugh.

We always liked to leave the tree up with some of the opened presents still sort of hanging out under it. :-) And we would never want to take the tree down on Christmas day when we're busy playing with our new things or getting ready for Christmas dinner or guests coming over or something. :-)

In theory I want the decorations up through the twelve days of Christmas... but in my heart I want it put away already so things can be tidy again and get back to normal. I take it as a good sign that, while I really do love Christmas, I also really LOVE my normal every day life! That can't be bad, right?

Anyway, we are leaving our decorations up for a week more, but since I was itching to get put away and organized today, I just redirected all of my energies to cleaning out our attic instead. It is a long over-due task, I'm afraid. But I just got finished getting rid of about 10 boxes of "stuff" - some things for the trash, some for Good Will - as well as reorganizing a lot of other stuff. Now when I do get to put the Christmas stuff away, I will enjoy how easy it will be to store them all without our attic being a crazy cluttered mess!

I would love to leave things up into January, but dh goes back to work after New Year's Day, and likes to have everything back in the attic by then (I don't like going up there, so he and ds are the only ones who go in the attic). I slowly pack away house decorations throughout the week between Christmas and New Year's. Then on New Year's Day I take down the tree while he takes the outdoor lights. It's all stored away by the end of the day.

We usually put up decorations either Thanksgiving weekend, or the weekend after so we do get to enjoy them for quite a while.

Our tree and very few decorations that we put up this year will be coming down either tomorrow, or the next day. We're packing and moving within a couple weeks, so I need to get everything organized and do another round of sorting through the house to clear more clutter before the move.

I might have even done it today, but my family was all here and left late this afternoon. Right now, we are all sitting around and decompressing/napping.

Normally, I leave it up until around the 1st or 2nd of January.

The key is not to start the decorating in November. I don't get the American "tree up day after Thanksgiving" thing.

And no real tree is going to look good after four weeks in heated rooms.

We start decorating on the first advent Sunday, so yes, this year in November, but the tree did not go up until the 23rd.

It will stay until Epiphany, January 6. For us, Christmas is not over until the three kings had a chance to make their appearance.

I gave the kids until Friday. I work a lot this week, so I won't be too itchy twitchy to take them down.

Christmas is always packed up by Jan. 1 though. New Year, clean slate and all that.

A couple years ago was so terrible with my family, it was all in boxes by Christmas night. Glad to say we had a nice Christmas this year.

My tree and decor will be down this week. I always have the house cleared of christmas decor before New Years eve. In fact this is my week to deep clean, declutter and air out the house. It is much like spring cleaning during the week between CHristmas and New Year's. For me the New Year does not start off right unless the house is clean and clear and fresh. I always worry that if I start my new year with the house cluttered, or messy or with stale air that it will prevent the good from coming in and I will be stuck in a year of chaos and stale progress. I am a bit superstitious, but as it is healthy to have a clean, clear, aired out house I am not going to change that habit now.