Menu

Eggnog conspiracy

What kind of eggnog is sold in stores near you?  

1. 1. What kind of eggnog is sold in stores near you?

• Stores around me sell on Full-fat Eggnog.
    • Stores around me sell low-fat Eggnog.
    • Stores around me sell fat-free Eggnog.
    • What is eggnog & why the obsession??

So, I grew up in MA, and during the holiday season I was able to buy many varieties of eggnog - including "Low Fat" and even "Fat Free" eggnog. It was wonderful!

Here, in Western PA, there are about 3 different brands of eggnog, and they are all FULL fat. :tongue_smilie: yuck.

So, I was just wondering if they still sell low-fat, or fat-free eggnog in other places around the world?

Edited by JessReplanted

I don't know that I've seen fat-free here, but I have seen low-fat and full fat varieties. Also, "pumpkin spice", something about cookies, and some other specialty eggnog variation I can't remember off the top of my head (the pumpkin spice was yummy). And soy and rice milk versions.

And I totally "get" the obsession. :)

Oh, it's sweet and yummy! :w00t:

And, you can drink a whole glass of it without feeling like

you need to lie down (or you are going to puke). ;)

Have you read the ingredients though? Fat-free and low-fat things usually have tons of fillers and a LOT more sugar than the regular varieties.

FWIW I'll only drink the full-fat version. We occasionally stretch it out/make it less filling by adding in some whole milk.

I've never had the boozed kind myself. My grandma used to make one that involved cooking the eggs somehow.

Not THAT I've never heard of. Do the eggs get cooked, then blended? Trying to figure this out. I'm sure it's much safer than having them raw like we do. (Actually, I don't let my kids have the homemade kind with raw eggs because I'm paranoid. But as for me--fill me another cup :D)

Not THAT I've never heard of. Do the eggs get cooked, then blended? Trying to figure this out. I'm sure it's much safer than having them raw like we do. (Actually, I don't let my kids have the homemade kind with raw eggs because I'm paranoid. But as for me--fill me another cup :D)

You probably do them the way you would for custard - where they're whisked with the milk and other ingredients then brought together to a certain heat then cooled. It's not like blending scrambled eggs into a drink.

You probably do them the way you would for custard - where they're whisked with the milk and other ingredients then brought together to a certain heat then cooled. It's not like blending scrambled eggs into a drink.

That was basically how she described it to me. Like this, maybe, from the Egg Board.

http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes-and-more/recipes/classic-cooked-eggnog

Alternatively, if you really love raw eggs (!) you can get pasturized eggs. They look exactly the same, I don't mean eggbeaters.

Fat-free or low-fat egg nog....really? Why?

It eases the guilt over the gallons upon gallons of the stuff that I consume during the holiday season. :D (Although frankly I frequently just get the full fat kind. If I'm gonna indulge I'm gonna do it right, baby!)

We have ours sans booze.

Same here. :)