Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - week fifty

Good morning my darlings! Today is the start of week 50 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 books blog - x is for Qui Xiaolong He is a chinese novelist and poet who wrote a series about a chinese police detective. His books are police procedurals set in China in the mid 1990's. They are a fascinating look into the culture and politics during that period of time.

I'm working on the 2012 challenge and will be posting Mr. Linky this week, most likely monday.

What are you reading this week? Any special christmas reads?

Link to week 49

Just finished reading "Death of a Red Heroine" by Qui Xiaolong. Truly fascinating look into China politics and culture during the mid 90's. Detective chen is investigating a homicide of a woman and with every step he is shadowed by the Party, reminding him - Is this going to reflect badly on the Party, if so, let it go. Hard to work under those circumstances, but he perseveres. Excellent book and very educational as well as entertaining.

I am reading the White Queen by Philippa Gregory. I think I have had about enough of this "cousins war". Kind of blech, but, I need to finish the series....

I also have the next Rick Riordan book on my bedside table....along with a stack of health books...nutrition...heal thyself type stuff that I plan to read over Christmas week...leading up to my new years resolutions:D

Faithe

This week I finished:

51: The Barn at the End of the World: The Apprenticeship of a Quaker, Buddhist Shepherd by Mary Rose O'Reily. I really enjoyed the balanced pov of this author, her willingness to consider every possibility and pov, and the bringing together of people and ideas that might not otherwise peacefully coexist.

Transcendence can come in many forms. For Mary Rose O’Reilley a year tending sheep seemed a way to seek a spirituality based not on “climbing out of the body” but rather on existing fully in the world, at least if she could overlook some of its earthier aspects. The Barn at the End of the World follows O’Reilley in her sometimes funny, sometimes moving quest. Though small in stature, she learns to “flip” very large sheep and help them lamb. She also visits a Buddhist monastery in France, where she studies the practice of Mahayana Buddhism, dividing her spare time between meditation and dreaming of French pastries.
and

52: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Marx Brooks which I saw mentioned here by Stacia. I am so curious about the audio version of this. Is there a different person speaking for each person of the book? I think it would be even better to listen to if that is the case. And it looks like there's a movie coming out!

I've been thinking about reading challenges, but I don't have a blog so I thought I'd just throw my ideas up here in case they inspire anyone.

1. Read 5 books you heard about on this thread. I'm sure many people do that already just naturally, but I might challenge myself to make sure I do this.

2. Read a book from each decade of the 1900's. That sounds like something I could do while also doing the other things I do already (read books with a book club, read books my friend picks, etc.) and have books often double up.

Edited by crstarlette

This week I finished:

51: The Barn at the End of the World: The Apprenticeship of a Quaker, Buddhist Shepherd by Mary Rose O'Reily. I really enjoyed the balanced pov of this author, her willingness to consider every possibility and pov, and the bringing together of people and ideas that might not otherwise peacefully coexist.

and

52: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Marx Brooks which I saw mentioned here by Stacia. I am so curious about the audio version of this? Is there a different person speaking for each person of the book? I think it would be even better to listen to if that is the case. And it looks like there's a movie coming out!

I've been thinking about reading challenges, but I don't have a blog so I thought I'd just throw my ideas up here in case they inspire anyone.

1. Read 5 books you heard about on this thread. I'm sure many people do that already just naturally, but I might challenge myself to make sure I do this.

2. Read a book from each decade of the 1900's. That sounds like something I could do while also doing the other things I do already (read books with a book club, read books my friend picks, etc.) and have books often double up.

Congrats on 52 Books! :party:

Excellent idea about reading 5 books discovered through the threads. I know there are many I wish listed.

Arukiyomi has a excel list of the "1001 books you must read before you die" which includes many books from the 1900's. Great resource. Discovered I've read 29 off the list so far and have a few on my shelves that just haven't gotten around to. Download the lite list for free and see how many you've read.

52: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Marx Brooks which I saw mentioned here by Stacia. I am so curious about the audio version of this? Is there a different person speaking for each person of the book? I think it would be even better to listen to if that is the case. And it looks like there's a movie coming out!

Congrats on 52! :D

Did you enjoy World War Z? No idea about the audio book, but I think my friend said it was different people. (She's the one who originally insisted that I would enjoy the book even though I had no interest in reading a zombie book.)

I like the read 5 books listed on this thread challenge. I've read some that have been mentioned, but I don't know how many off-hand....

I'm still working on Darkmans. It's completely bizarre & utterly engrossing. It took me about 20 or so pages to get used to the cadence & rhythm of this book. I also think the printed version of the book would be much better than an e-book version just because of the format, bolding, etc... which contributes to the tone & understanding of the story. Some small thing about it made me think of Pulp Fiction (just a fleeting emotion) in that it's modern & different (as Pulp Fiction was when it first came out -- not that the story is like Pulp Fiction in any way). So glad I picked up this book! Can't wait to keep reading & see where things go....

From Publishers Weekly:

"There isn't much plot to Barker's Man Booker-shortlisted novel (after Clear and Behindlings), but a cast of eccentric characters, a torrent of inventive prose and an irresistible synthesis of wickedly humorous and unsettlingly supernatural elements more than compensate for the loose itinerary. The novel is set in a contemporaneous British district bisected by the arrival of the Channel Tunnel's international passenger station, a sore point for one of the central characters, cranky 61-year-old Daniel Beede, distraught at the loss of local landmarks. Beede is estranged from his prescription drug-dealing son Kane, though they share a flat, where Gaffar, a muscular Kurdish refugee with a rabid fear of salad greens, takes up residence. Beede is friends with Elen, a podiatrist, and with Isidore, Elen's paranoid and narcoleptic husband; their young son Fleet is a spooky prodigy who, in one of this intricate tale's several instances of mind-bending nuttiness, may actually be Isidore's ancestor from nine generations ago. This improbable premise is supported by the boy's propensity for quoting bits of the biography of King Edward IV's court jester, one John Scogin, the dark man who haunts the book. Despite the story's plotless sprawl, any reader open to the appeal of an ambitious author's kaleidoscopic imagination will relish this bravura accomplishment."

Books read as of July 2011:

32. The Reluctant Entertainer

33. A Curable Romantic

34. A Reliable Wife

35. Living the Simple Life

36. The Music of Chance

37. The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise

38. Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui

39. The Book of Jhereg

40. The Lost Symbol

41. Storm Front

42. The Clutter Cure

43. Simplicity Parenting

44. Madame Tussaud

45. The Map of Time

46. The Somnambulist

47. The Island of Lost Maps

48. The Adventurer's Handbook

49. Garden Spells

50. Dracula The Un-Dead

51. The Gold Bug

52. The Rule of Four

53. Ilustrado

54. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

55. Boneshaker

56. Judgment of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959

57. Slaughterhouse-Five

58. The Graveyard Book

59. World War Z

60. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Stacia's Challenge/2011 Goodreads

Taking a quick look through the books I've read this year, I think these are ones I read based on hearing about them through this thread....

Food Rules

Sister Pelagia and the Red Cockerel

Her Fearful Symmetry

Haroun and the Sea of Stories

Simplicity Parenting

Storm Front

Garden Spells

Congrats on 52 Books! :party:

Excellent idea about reading 5 books discovered through the threads. I know there are many I wish listed.

Arukiyomi has a excel list of the "1001 books you must read before you die" which includes many books from the 1900's. Great resource. Discovered I've read 29 off the list so far and have a few on my shelves that just haven't gotten around to. Download the lite list for free and see how many you've read.

Thanks!

I have seen the 1001 books list. I was going to print it out once, but it was, like, a million pages. I could just keep track on my computer, but I am just the type of person who likes for things to be tangible: paper catalogs, to do lists, to read lists... I just haven't decided what I'm going to do about it yet. I'm thinking about picking a hundred to print out, working on those, then printing out a hundred more. (Clearly I'm also putting too much thought into this.)

Say it isn't week 50!! I'm still trying to finish book 47! I really need to pick up some shorter books :D or start reading faster.

Let's see - short book ideas

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

A lot of (all of?) the books by H. G. Wells

Or some quality graphic novels like those by Marjane Satrapi or Watchmen (which is on the 1001 books list).

Good luck!

I'm still working on Darkmans. It's completely bizarre & utterly engrossing.2006155.jpg

Speaking of bizarre, someone told me about this book House of Leaves and I'm thinking of giving it a try. Next year of course since it's a biggie

Say it isn't week 50!! I'm still trying to finish book 47! I really need to pick up some shorter books :D or start reading faster.

Yes, we are still on week 50. You have plenty of time. :)

At long, long last:

28. Amerio Romano, Iota Unum; John P. Parsons, Tr.

Only The Peloponnesian War took longer for me to read. I blame children. :D

Two thumbs up for Iota Unum, but only if you're really interested in a comprehensive discussion and analysis of changes in the Catholic Church in the 20th century, from the point of view of an Italian theologian who was around to see it all (he was a peritus at the Second Vatican Council).

I have something much lighter on my plate for this week: The Enormous Room by E. E. Cummings. With luck, and a little peace and quiet, I can make it up to thirty books by the end of the year. Maybe if I fake illness?

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Excellent suggestion!

Speaking of bizarre, someone told me about this book House of Leaves and I'm thinking of giving it a try. Next year of course since it's a biggie

I have tried that book twice -- once when it first came out, once earlier this year. But, it completely freaks me out & I'm scared that I'll scare the crap out of myself by reading it, so I stop very early on.... I think about 15 pages in always creeps me out & I stop there. :tongue_smilie: I've heard very mixed reviews of it; people either seem to love it or hate it. Let me know if you're brave enough to read it! :lol:

Maybe if I fake illness?

:lol: Sounds like a great plan!

Let's see - short book ideas

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

A lot of (all of?) the books by H. G. Wells

Or some quality graphic novels like those by Marjane Satrapi or Watchmen (which is on the 1001 books list).

Good luck!

Thanks for the ideas!

Yes, we are still on week 50. You have plenty of time. :)

It doesn't seem like it! I feel like I'm going to blink and it will be Christmas and blink again and it will be 2012! It's crazy how time flies.

Maybe if I fake illness?

I don't even have to fake. :D Still coughing and fatigued from a 2.5 week bout of bronchitis :glare: Which might be why I've posted more in the last 2 weeks than in the last two years :lol:

I couldn't nap this afternoon and finished#47 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I forgot how much I really, really like this Harry Potter book. Much more than the fifth book for sure!

Last week I finished:

#75 - The Peasant Girl's Dream, by George MacDonald. I stumbled upon this book at a yard sale and decided to read it because I've heard over the years that the author is exceptional. I was a bit disappointed. I almost didn't finish the book. Glad I finished, though, because it seemed to pick up nearer the end, and also because I found some of his comments in the latter half creatively-phrased and they gave pause for thought. Otherwise, not sure I'll read another of his . . .

Currently reading another yard sale find:

#76 - The South Wind Blew Softly, by Ruth Livingston Hill. The daughter of Grace, the book is as-expected, and will be quietly, predictably, enjoyable.

I must say I am impressed with all the *heavy* reading many of you have done this year. I simply don't have the stamina, will-power, or drive for anything too taxing right now; all my strength and energy is needed for a taxing life! Your posts remind me, though, of how much I'd like to incorporate *heavier* reading again . . . perhaps soon (hopefully soon) I'll be able to . . .

I also want to say yet again how very much I enjoy this thread. It is not an understatement to say that I look forward to it each week. Thank you again to Robin/Mytwoblessings for so faithfully keeping this thread active - and to all of you who post on it!

I just posted about On the Wasteland, an old and unknown children's book about time travel to Saxon/Viking times in Suffolk, the brand new children's fantasy Wildwood, and a fascinating book on neuroscience and Machiavellianism called Evil Genes: Why Rome Fell, Hitler Rose, Enron Failed, and My Sister Stole My Mother's Boyfriend. Who could resist that title??

Are we going to have a wrap-up post and set of questions? I love those!

Last week I finished:

#75 - The Peasant Girl's Dream, by George MacDonald. I stumbled upon this book at a yard sale and decided to read it because I've heard over the years that the author is exceptional. I was a bit disappointed. I almost didn't finish the book. Glad I finished, though, because it seemed to pick up nearer the end, and also because I found some of his comments in the latter half creatively-phrased and they gave pause for thought. Otherwise, not sure I'll read another of his . . .

I love George MacDonald, but I'd never tell you to start with one of his popular-type novels. Read most of his fairy tales (The Princess and the Goblin is a good starting point) and then if you like those, move on to his weird romance/fantasy stories (Lilith and Phantastes).

Looking back, these are the books I read this year that I heard about on this thread this year or last...

The Wand in the Word by Leonard S. Marcus

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander

Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm (loved this one!!)

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

I also read The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen because of the "choose a book by it's cover thread."

I love George MacDonald, but I'd never tell you to start with one of his popular-type novels. Read most of his fairy tales (The Princess and the Goblin is a good starting point) and then if you like those, move on to his weird romance/fantasy stories (Lilith and Phantastes).

Thank you for the suggestion! I didn't realize he wrote in different genres. I'll keep an eye out for something else by him (including the title you mentioned), and try him again sometime.

Congrats on 52! :D

Did you enjoy World War Z? No idea about the audio book, but I think my friend said it was different people. (She's the one who originally insisted that I would enjoy the book even though I had no interest in reading a zombie book.)

Thanks! And I really liked WWZ. I was only so-so about it at first, but by the end I was hooked.

I just posted about On the Wasteland, an old and unknown children's book about time travel to Saxon/Viking times in Suffolk, the brand new children's fantasy Wildwood, and a fascinating book on neuroscience and Machiavellianism called Evil Genes: Why Rome Fell, Hitler Rose, Enron Failed, and My Sister Stole My Mother's Boyfriend. Who could resist that title??

Did you like Wildwood? It's under our tree--a total impulse buy. I was listening to the authors talk with kids on NPR, then went into Costco, saw the book, and bought it.

I finished Jodi Piccoult's The Tenth Circle this week (#49), a book club book picked by someone else. Am I the only one not crazy about Jodi Piccoult? I don't think I'll ever pick one up by my own choice. She works very hard to manipulate the situations in her book for maximum moral dilemma and drama. My problem with this book is that I thought there were so many errors in reasoning on her part that I couldn't buy her scenario. Where was the editor? She actually wrote about an 11-month pregnancy in this book; an Alaskan would have to go to the bigger city from her home village on Jan 10, 6 weeks before due date. The father of the baby died March 30, a few days before Mom found out she was pregnant. Hello? Do the math! Part of the emotional backdrop to the story was that the father once lost his 4 year old by grabbing the wrong stroller. Um, four year olds don't ride in strollers. The 14 year old looks back on her freshman year; 14 year olds ARE freshmen. And 14 year olds do not study the subjunctive tense in their French class. Anyway, there were so many little problems like this that drove me crazy that I coudn't accept some of the more plot-critical components of the story. It all felt very manipulative and unrealistic to me.

Next up? I have several out from the library right now. Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures or something like that is the one that is due back first, so I'll probably pick that up. I also have Rachel Carson's Silent Spring and the next 2 in Ursula Le Guinn's Earthsea cycle.

Finished Faith by Jennifer Haigh this a.m. Terrific read- a fictionalized story about a priest that is accused of pediophilia during the height of the priest/sex scandel. It's not what you think and a great read. If you liked The Glass Castle- you'll love this; family systems and secrets ;) Her character development is terrific.

Started reading Bird by Bird by Lamott. I am lol every 6-8th paragraph. Oh my, this girl can write with wit. A book about writing that is lol funny- who knew?

Have Emotional Vampires waiting in the wings- a book about PD's. Right up my MFT alley :)I'm weird that way.

I made it to 52 already- only by counting the read-alouds I did with the notsolittles- the Little House and Wrinkle in Time series'. Still, good stuff in both, though I've read them both before, more than once. All those hours I spent reading out loud count, right?

I cannot believe it's Week 50! Wow!

Okay, here's where my 11 y/o daughter and I stand:

1. The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster

2. Skellig, by David Almond

3. Ida B. and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster and (Possibly) Save the World, by Katherine Hannigan

4. The Gawgon and The Boy, by Lloyd Alexander

5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling

6. The Girl With the Silver Eyes, by Willo Davis Roberts

7. Tuck Everlasting, by Natalie Babbitt

8. Sounder, by William H. Armstrong

9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl

10. Treasure Island (Illustrated Classics Edition adapted by Deidre S. Laiken)

11. All-Of-A-Kind Family, by Sydney Taylor

12. The Midwife's Apprentice, by Karen Cushman

13. Surviving The Applewhites, by Stephanie S. Tolan

14. The People in Pineapple Place, by Anne Lindbergh

15. The Prisoner of Pineapple Place, by Anne Lindbergh

16. By the Shores of Silver Lake, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

17. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, by J.K. Rowling (audiobook)

18. The Safe Zone, A Kid's Guide To Personal Safety, by Donna Chaiet and Francine Russell (highly recommend for all kids!)

19. Harriet Tubman, Call to Freedom, by Judy Carlson

20. The Long Winter, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

21. The Return of the Indian, by Lynne Reid Banks

22. The Secret of the Indian, by Lynne Reid Banks

23. Robinson Crusoe (Scholastic Books Edition, Retold by Edward W. Dolch etc.)

24. Ben and Me, by Robert Lawson

25. Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson

26. Frindle, by Andrew Clements

27. James and the Giant Peach, by Roald Dahl

28. In Search of A Homeland, the Story of the Aeneid, by Penelope Lively

29. Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli

30. The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor, Retold by John Yeoman

31. Shiloh, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

32. Mr. Popper's Penguins, by Richard and Florence Atwater

33. 20,000 Leagues under the Sea (Retold by Diane Flynn Grund)

34. Little Town on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

35. These Happy Golden Years, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

36. Maniac Magee, by Jerry Spinelli

37. The First Four Years, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

38. The Inheritors, by William Golding (holy cow was this one hard to get through!!! :P)

39. The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker, by Cynthia DeFelice

40. Gilgamesh the Hero, by Geraldine McCaughrean

41. The Egypt Game, by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

42. The Secret School, by Avi

43. Escape from Egypt, by Sonia Levitin

44. The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman (watched/listened to author read online)

45. Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O'Dell

46. Ronia, the Robber's Daughter, by Astrid Lindgren

47. The Witches, by Roald Dahl

48. The Cricket in Times Square, by George Selden

49. Danny, The Champion of the World, by Roald Dahl

50. The BFG, by Roald Dahl

And as for my personal reading:

COMPLETED

1. Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes (YA)

2. The Virgin's Lover, by Philipa Gregory

3. The Year of the Flood, by Margaret Atwood

4. Mary, Bloody Mary, by Carolyn Meyer (YA historical fiction)

5. Beware, Princess Elizabeth, by Carolyn Meyer (YA historical fiction)

6. Doomed Queen Anne, by Carolyn Meyer (YA historical fiction)

7. Zipporah, Wife of Moses, by Marek Halter

8. At First Sight, by Nicholas Sparks

9. Patience, Princess Catherine, by Carolyn Meyer (YA historical fiction)

10. Unwind, by Neal Shusterman (YA, if you liked Hunger Games you'd prob like this!)

11. Lover Unleashed, by J.R. Ward (Black Dagger Brotherhood series/vampire, love this series!)

12. Free-Range Kids, How To Raise Safe, Self-Reliant Children (Without Going Nuts With Worry), by Lenore Skenazy

13. The Fifth Sacred Thing, by Starhawk

14. The Law of Nines, by Terry Goodkind

15. Running With Scissors, by Augusten Burroughs (didn't like it)

16. A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin (These should count for like four books each! haha!)

17. A Clash of Kings, by George R.R. Martin

18. Hit List, by Laurel K. Hamilton (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series)

19. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett

20. Blessings, by Anna Quindlen

21. A Storm of Swords, by George R.R. Martin

22. A Feast For Crows, by George R.R. Martin

23. Darkfever, by Karen Marie Moning (paranormal urban fantasy, loved it!)

24. Bloodfever, by Karen Marie Moning

25. Faefever, by Karen Marie Moning

26. A Dance With Dragons, by George R.R. Martin

27. Dreamfever, by Karen Marie Moning

28. Shadowfever, by Karen Marie Moning

29. Dogs of Babel, by Carolyn Parkhurst (weird but interesting!)

30. 24 Hours, by Greg Iles

31. Tantalize, by Cynthia Leitich Smith (shouldn't even count, it was YA fiction that didn't even have the depth Twilight does lol)

32. The South Beach Diet, by Arthur Agatston, M.D.

33. The Map of Time, by Felix A. Palma

34. Beyond the Highland Mist, by Karen Marie Moning

35. To Tame A Highland Warrior, by Karen Marie Moning

36. Covet, by J.R. Ward

37. The Sky is Falling, by Sidney Sheldon (CURRENTLY READING)

GAVE UP ON/INCOMPLETE

Nights In Rodanthe, by Nicholas Sparks

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder

Deconstructing Penguins by the Goldstones

The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison

NEXT ON THE LIST

Waiting to get the next in JR Ward's Fallen Angel series...Crave, I think it's called, I have it on order from interlibrary loan with my library. I won't be reading 52 books this year myself, obviously, but that's okay, my goal for this challenge was to do it with my daughter, and I'm accomplishing that. :)

Did you like Wildwood? It's under our tree--a total impulse buy. I was listening to the authors talk with kids on NPR, then went into Costco, saw the book, and bought it.

I liked it pretty well. You can look at my review! :) I thought it was pretty good but not excellent, and I thought one part of the story was awfully like TLTW&TW.

I'm not a big Jodi Picoult fan either. (Is it 1 or 2 c's? Can't remember.) I looked at some of her books but they did strike me as manipulative. I don't mind it in Bollywood movies but I object to it in novels. :)

Are you reading Death of the Red Heroine (is that the title?). I read that one and haven't gotten around to any of his others, so thanks for reminding me of the author!

This week I started Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl.

Yes, I just finished that one. Really good if you like political fiction

I must say I am impressed with all the *heavy* reading many of you have done this year. I simply don't have the stamina, will-power, or drive for anything too taxing right now; all my strength and energy is needed for a taxing life! Your posts remind me, though, of how much I'd like to incorporate *heavier* reading again . . . perhaps soon (hopefully soon) I'll be able to . . .

I also want to say yet again how very much I enjoy this thread. It is not an understatement to say that I look forward to it each week. Thank you again to Robin/Mytwoblessings for so faithfully keeping this thread active - and to all of you who post on it!

I'm impressed with the heavy reading as well and going to try and work more of those into my time for 2012. And thanks again, I'm enjoying it.:grouphug:

Yes, I am coming up with the questions and will post them the last week.

Started reading Bird by Bird by Lamott. I am lol every 6-8th paragraph. Oh my, this girl can write with wit. A book about writing that is lol funny- who knew?

I made it to 52 already- only by counting the read-alouds I did with the notsolittles- the Little House and Wrinkle in Time series'. Still, good stuff in both, though I've read them both before, more than once. All those hours I spent reading out loud count, right?

Yep, lamont's book is laugh out load hilarious. Makes me wish I were so witty - sometimes. Yes all the read aloud's count. :thumbup:

And as for my personal reading:

COMPLETED

1. Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes (YA)

2. The Virgin's Lover, by Philipa Gregory

3. The Year of the Flood, by Margaret Atwood

4. Mary, Bloody Mary, by Carolyn Meyer (YA historical fiction)

5. Beware, Princess Elizabeth, by Carolyn Meyer (YA historical fiction)

6. Doomed Queen Anne, by Carolyn Meyer (YA historical fiction)

7. Zipporah, Wife of Moses, by Marek Halter

8. At First Sight, by Nicholas Sparks

9. Patience, Princess Catherine, by Carolyn Meyer (YA historical fiction)

10. Unwind, by Neal Shusterman (YA, if you liked Hunger Games you'd prob like this!)

11. Lover Unleashed, by J.R. Ward (Black Dagger Brotherhood series/vampire, love this series!)

12. Free-Range Kids, How To Raise Safe, Self-Reliant Children (Without Going Nuts With Worry), by Lenore Skenazy

13. The Fifth Sacred Thing, by Starhawk

14. The Law of Nines, by Terry Goodkind

15. Running With Scissors, by Augusten Burroughs (didn't like it)

16. A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin (These should count for like four books each! haha!)

17. A Clash of Kings, by George R.R. Martin

18. Hit List, by Laurel K. Hamilton (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series)

19. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett

20. Blessings, by Anna Quindlen

21. A Storm of Swords, by George R.R. Martin

22. A Feast For Crows, by George R.R. Martin

23. Darkfever, by Karen Marie Moning (paranormal urban fantasy, loved it!)

24. Bloodfever, by Karen Marie Moning

25. Faefever, by Karen Marie Moning

26. A Dance With Dragons, by George R.R. Martin

27. Dreamfever, by Karen Marie Moning

28. Shadowfever, by Karen Marie Moning

29. Dogs of Babel, by Carolyn Parkhurst (weird but interesting!)

30. 24 Hours, by Greg Iles

31. Tantalize, by Cynthia Leitich Smith (shouldn't even count, it was YA fiction that didn't even have the depth Twilight does lol)

32. The South Beach Diet, by Arthur Agatston, M.D.

33. The Map of Time, by Felix A. Palma

34. Beyond the Highland Mist, by Karen Marie Moning

35. To Tame A Highland Warrior, by Karen Marie Moning

36. Covet, by J.R. Ward

37. The Sky is Falling, by Sidney Sheldon (CURRENTLY READING)

GAVE UP ON/INCOMPLETE

Nights In Rodanthe, by Nicholas Sparks

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder

Deconstructing Penguins by the Goldstones

The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison

NEXT ON THE LIST

Waiting to get the next in JR Ward's Fallen Angel series...Crave, I think it's called, I have it on order from interlibrary loan with my library. I won't be reading 52 books this year myself, obviously, but that's okay, my goal for this challenge was to do it with my daughter, and I'm accomplishing that. :)

I'd say you more than accomplished the goal. Impressed with all the books you two have read. Good job!

Congrats to those who have reached 52 books!

I finished No. 47. I’m not scared by Niccolo Ammaniti. It's a short book, for those rushing to finish. :) It's the story of a boy living in a small, poor hamlet in the south of Italy who finds a boy hidden in a hole near an abandoned farm. It's a coming of age story about making sense of the world, of right and wrong. The emotions and confusion of the boy as he tries to make sense of the what he has stumbled on are captivating. The book has been made into a film, I believe.

This week I'm reading fire fire by an Australian author Eva Sallis. It's the story of a family of artists and musicians who isolate themselves in a dilapidated farm as the mother strives to create the world she wants for them (or escape from the "great world" as she calls it). I always find this sort of story disturbing, but I have 3 weeks and 5 books to go, so there's no giving up on this one.

Still reading Adam Resurrected, and listening to Ivanhoe.

Nikki

I cannot believe it's Week 50! Wow!

Okay, here's where my 11 y/o daughter and I stand:

1. The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster

2. Skellig, by David Almond

3. Ida B. and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster and (Possibly) Save the World, by Katherine Hannigan

4. The Gawgon and The Boy, by Lloyd Alexander

5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling

6. The Girl With the Silver Eyes, by Willo Davis Roberts

7. Tuck Everlasting, by Natalie Babbitt

8. Sounder, by William H. Armstrong

9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl

10. Treasure Island (Illustrated Classics Edition adapted by Deidre S. Laiken)

11. All-Of-A-Kind Family, by Sydney Taylor

12. The Midwife's Apprentice, by Karen Cushman

13. Surviving The Applewhites, by Stephanie S. Tolan

14. The People in Pineapple Place, by Anne Lindbergh

15. The Prisoner of Pineapple Place, by Anne Lindbergh

16. By the Shores of Silver Lake, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

17. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, by J.K. Rowling (audiobook)

18. The Safe Zone, A Kid's Guide To Personal Safety, by Donna Chaiet and Francine Russell (highly recommend for all kids!)

19. Harriet Tubman, Call to Freedom, by Judy Carlson

20. The Long Winter, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

21. The Return of the Indian, by Lynne Reid Banks

22. The Secret of the Indian, by Lynne Reid Banks

23. Robinson Crusoe (Scholastic Books Edition, Retold by Edward W. Dolch etc.)

24. Ben and Me, by Robert Lawson

25. Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson

26. Frindle, by Andrew Clements

27. James and the Giant Peach, by Roald Dahl

28. In Search of A Homeland, the Story of the Aeneid, by Penelope Lively

29. Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli

30. The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor, Retold by John Yeoman

31. Shiloh, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

32. Mr. Popper's Penguins, by Richard and Florence Atwater

33. 20,000 Leagues under the Sea (Retold by Diane Flynn Grund)

34. Little Town on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

35. These Happy Golden Years, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

36. Maniac Magee, by Jerry Spinelli

37. The First Four Years, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

38. The Inheritors, by William Golding (holy cow was this one hard to get through!!! :P)

39. The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker, by Cynthia DeFelice

40. Gilgamesh the Hero, by Geraldine McCaughrean

41. The Egypt Game, by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

42. The Secret School, by Avi

43. Escape from Egypt, by Sonia Levitin

44. The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman (watched/listened to author read online)

45. Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O'Dell

46. Ronia, the Robber's Daughter, by Astrid Lindgren

47. The Witches, by Roald Dahl

48. The Cricket in Times Square, by George Selden

49. Danny, The Champion of the World, by Roald Dahl

50. The BFG, by Roald Dahl

NanceXToo - I am very impressed that you and your daughter have faithfully kept up with this reading challenge! Congratulations to you both! Oral reading takes much more time, especially when you read with *feeling*, and take time for the discussions that inevitably arise! You've not only done a great job with the mother/daughter reading challenge, but you've also got the great memories of wonderful shared time! Good for you! You deserve abundant kudos!

Almost done with Born to Run and I'm a little ways into Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

I think those are books 51 and 52. I'll have to check my journal.:D

At least half of my list this year are books I've read about in this thread or, at least, on these boards.;)

Oh! I may be at 52, then, after all!

29. Mary Pope Osborne, Dinosaurs Before Dark.

30. Mary Pope Osborne, Dinosaurs Before Dark.

31. Mary Pope Osborne, Dinosaurs Before Dark.

32. Mary Pope Osborne, Dinosaurs Before Dark.

33. Mary Pope Osborne, Dinosaurs Before Dark.

34. Mary Pope Osborne....

Ha! Opened pandora's box.

I read #116. Lucia in London by E.F. Benson, and am currently reading #117. Miss Mapp by the same author. I picked up The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen, on the recommendation of several folks here but I'm not sure if I'll have time to get to it before the end of the year.

Other books I read on recommendations from these threads: Devil in the White City, Radical Homemakers, Murder in the Marais, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (I typed "immoral" accidentally :lol:), Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, and Aunt Jane's Hero.

Just finished #48 Horton Halfpott: Or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset by Tom Angleberger. I saw this on the "new" shelf at the library and thought dd11 might enjoy it because it seemed a little bit of a quirky read by the cover. I went ahead and read it because I was curious (and sometimes this motivates dd to read something new ;)). It was quirky, but kind of cute. I was worried it might be a Lemony Snickett kind of book, but was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't. Dd has already picked it up, intrigued that I read most of it today :D

Oooo, I feel like I'm late to this thread .....

This week I went "dystopian" (a strange leap from 16th century England) and read A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller. It was a fascinating book. It had some intriguing themes woven throughout (ie. the way we view history, the staying-power of the church), yet I am left wondering if I have missed a number of things the author was trying to communicate. I'm still pondering it ....... the only other author that has made me feel this way is C.S. Lewis ..... like Lewis's books, I think this book begs another read. In any case, it was recommended by moms on this board (from the Dystopian thread) and I'm very glad I took their advice.

50. A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller, Jr.

49. Elizabeth and Essex - Lytton Strachey

48. Elizabeth I - Margaret George

#111 World War Z (Max Brooks)

It feels like I've been reading this book forever. Don't misunderstand: It was well-crafted, engrossing, and fun. Something about the narrative style, though, slowed me down, so it was finished in fits and starts.

Well, I know I've passed the 52 mark, but once again will have to go to the past number of threads to compile the rest of my list since I usually post the titles here but not on my Word file.

Congrats to all who have done that. I've read 3 more books, and have to slow down to get other things done!