Menu

Obligations

Every year there is a get together with my Mom's side of the family. Now that we live closer to them we go.

It is tomorrow.

I have a child with a fever. I am also exhausted.

It takes 3 hours to get there and 3 hours to get back.

I feel obligated because I don't see these folks much, but then they only travel between 10 min-1 hour to get there, so I also feel like it is harder for me to do all of this.

Should I stay or should I go.

I can't decide. I feel guilty for thinking I should stay.

Ah, Family and Holidays.....great combo.

What should I do?

Dawn

Stay home. Nurse the sick child. Rest yourself. Call and tell whoever answers how much you love them all and wish them a Merry Christmas. :)

:iagree: you could add that you decided NOT to give them whatever your dc has for Christmas and are sure they'll be grateful.

ann

Thank you.

It really would be ME going alone, all 6 hours of driving worth, if one of us stays home. There is no reason for him to go visit my relatives.

Noone will be mad, but they may be disappointed.

Then again, they don't come see me......;)

I am going to talk to DH when he gets home and see what we will plan to do.

Dawn

We had a local HS Christmas party today and I left him home, but that was just for a couple of hours and he turns 12 next week.

DH and I agree that we will not leave him home for 10-12 hours while we are 3 hours away.

In fact, we wouldn't even do that with our almost 14 year old.....I am sure that is over-protective (with a 14 year old) but we just aren't ready to do that yet.

Dawn

This is an easy one. Don't go, because your child has a fever.

The whole family probably wants to see you more than anything in the world, and you might get in trouble with the family matriarchs for not being there, but they don't really want their families getting sick right before Christmas. Not really.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

It is tomorrow.

What should I do?

How sick does child feel? new illness?

3hr drive. staying all-night or turn around and come home?

I'd probably stay home - no matter how obligated I felt, some things trump "family" obligation.

Go if you want to. Don't go if you don't. You can make it work to go, and you have a great excuse not to. You get to pick.

Personally, I would go, and I would play all my favorite music all the way there and back again, and sing along. Aretha Franklin, Bach, Beethoven, Paul Manz, Chakka Khan, Mozart, the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, Earth-Wind-and-Fire, Chicago...it would totally rock.

I used to like to drive. I have no idea what happened.

I don't like it nearly as much anymore.

Dawn

Go if you want to. Don't go if you don't. You can make it work to go, and you have a great excuse not to. You get to pick.

Personally, I would go, and I would play all my favorite music all the way there and back again, and sing along. Aretha Franklin, Bach, Beethoven, Paul Manz, Chakka Khan, Mozart, the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, Earth-Wind-and-Fire, Chicago...it would totally rock.

Every year there is a get together with my Mom's side of the family. Now that we live closer to them we go.

It is tomorrow.

I feel obligated because I don't see these folks much, but then they only travel between 10 min-1 hour to get there, so I also feel like it is harder for me to do all of this.

I can't decide. I feel guilty for thinking I should stay.

Ah, Family and Holidays.....great combo.

What should I do?

Dawn

Ouch! 3 hours doesn't sound that close to me. I'd be inclined to skip w/o the feverish kid.