Menu

Acid in the high school

So - my son, who is now in PS HS, told me the other day that two people he knows at school dropped acid last week.

We live in a very well off area, and yet - DS reports that at least 50% of the kids there do some sort of drugs. Too much free time and too large allowances I guess...

Anyway - I was aware of pot, certainly, and suspected other things, but something about the acid absolutely shocked me.

I thought that completely went out with the 70's when people had bad trips and started hallucinating YEARS after they used for the last time.

So - is this some sort of loss of collective memory? DS says that the anti-drug campaigns (which are ridiculous and useless, IMHO) never even mention LSD. Would it even matter?

Just wonderring aloud, wanting to see if others had heard about it resurfacing in their areas - or was I just ignorant and it's never really gone away?

It never went away, but it is more difficult to come by here at this point.

Interesting that you mentioned rarely seen drugs; it was just Wednesday that dd's friend told us about some kids at her school bragging about pcp.

I remember friends of mine in hs actually getting a hold of peyote (mid 90s)! I don't think anything ever fully goes away when you are talking about teenagers.

I agree, never went away. You'd be amazed at what is around.

Even over the counter drugs are abused, and not just to make other drugs--Kids around here do it all, including drinking whole bottles of cough medicine (dextromathorophan) and taking 10-15 Coricedan tablets at a time. They both are hallucigens at that high a dose.

I graduated high school in 1990, and I knew people who did acid.

:iagree:

I was offered it but chose not to try it out of fears of flashbacks. And I just knew I'd see bugs everywhere rather than something entertaining. Figured it wasn't worth the risk.

:iagree:

I was offered it but chose not to try it out of fears of flashbacks. And I just knew I'd see bugs everywhere rather than something entertaining. Figured it wasn't worth the risk.

My best friend's dh went to rehab as a teen after dropping acid, thinking the grass was alive and screaming when anyone stepped on it. They only met/started dating after he was clean, btw.

My best friend's dh went to rehab as a teen after dropping acid, thinking the grass was alive and screaming when anyone stepped on it. They only met/started dating after he was clean, btw.

I think I might have handled that better than bugs. :)

Glad I didn't chance it.

LSD and some other drugs like it aren't usually habit forming drugs - people take them a few times. So while they can clearly be a problem, I think it's pretty easy to see why they're less of a part of the drug conversation than pot, which is so widely used, and highly addictive drugs like heroin or cocaine.

I remember the sticker scare now.....

I was offerred acid at a Pink Floyd concert in 1994....

I know that, technically, it's never gone away - I guess I just didn't realize that teens were using it more....

Thankfully it isn't addictive - but the idea of possible flashbacks forever is scary!

It never went away.

I will say, however, that the kids who end up young adults and all addle-pated and institutionalized are huffing and doing meth and/or "bath salts". LSD isn't even a blip on the radar. I would think LSD is more upper middle class than, say, huffing or bath salts, and more of the drug of choice for "experimenters" rather than the "going to try to be high the rest of my lifers".

DS says that "spice" is starting to gain popularity as well......

I think what concerns me more is that drugs of all kinds seem to be very acceptable to ALL of the kids. Not all of them do drugs, but there is no thought that anyone is inferior/trashy/ignorant (insert your own term) for doing them.

When I was in school, there was still a certain population that was known to use, and they were not considered 'normal'.

Completely irrelevant, but whenever I see the title to this thread I can't help hearing it to the tune of Aqualung. Instead of "sitting on a park bench" it's "acid in the high school".

:lol:

You know, I had to go to med school to find out what Aqualung meant!

When I was in school EVERYONE did drugs, except for one very, very vocal "I am a virgin and I am drug free" girl (she got a lot of attention because she was very pretty too boot) and those so socially awkward they literally had no friends. But that was back was pot was little more than catnip.

I don't recall any pressure, or uncoolness, just that everybody did it. My brother told me it hit our little midwestern town the summer of 67, and that the class of 67 did nothing but drink (a lot), but the class of 68 did nothing but smoke pot.

Where I am now it is socially acceptable for middle class kids to not do drugs.

:lol:

You know, I had to go to med school to find out what Aqualung meant!

When I was in school EVERYONE did drugs, except for one very, very vocal "I am a virgin and I am drug free" girl (she got a lot of attention because she was very pretty too boot) and those so socially awkward they literally had no friends. But that was back was pot was little more than catnip.

I don't recall any pressure, or uncoolness, just that everybody did it. My brother told me it hit our little midwestern town the summer of 67, and that the class of 67 did nothing but drink (a lot), but the class of 68 did nothing but smoke pot.

Where I am now it is socially acceptable for middle class kids to not do drugs.

THat describes my parent's experience. One year there were no drugs, the next they were everywhere. Darned hippies.;)

Class of '98 here. I knew plenty people who did acid, shrooms, ecstasy, a few who did meth, crack and cocaine and a ton who used pot and alcohol. I also knew people who huffed just about anything they could get their hands on, misused over the counter meds and used prescription meds. I don't think there is any hard drug that can't be gotten by teens. Sad, scary, but true.

I think what concerns me more is that drugs of all kinds seem to be very acceptable to ALL of the kids. Not all of them do drugs, but there is no thought that anyone is inferior/trashy/ignorant (insert your own term) for doing them.

When I was in school, there was still a certain population that was known to use, and they were not considered 'normal'.

That wasn't my experience. Lots and lot of people used the soft drugs (pot, x, acid) and nothing was thought of it. The hard drug users did have a group of their own and they intrigued, yet scared me. I liked being around them, but didn't want them to notice me.

I generally expect more drugs in wealthier schools. And drugs have never gone away. I think the problems you can encounter due to drug use have gotten worse. I remember one of my field hockey team mates was caught with pot at school in 1980. I think she was suspended for a day. Back then lots of people did drugs during school hours in the school building. Today, at the same school a student who has an OTC drug in school will be suspended and recommended for expulsion and a student who has an illegal drug will be arrested and face a zero tolerance policy which has them expelled (so criminal record and no school).

Wealthier schools often have a lot of drugs. It doesn't matter if they are public, private, religious or secular. My neighborhood went through a redistricting a few years ago. Our district is one of the wealthiest and highest performing in the nation as far as the schools appear on paper. My neighborhood school has high performing students, it is a great school and it happens to have a free lunch rate of over 30% , very high minority presence, and very high ESL presence. So, this school is really the ghetto according to parents at neighboring schools within 5-10 miles. The irony was that a year after redistricting was complete police broke up a heroine ring at the high school that had parents who complained the loudest about the possibility of their children being redistricted to my neighborhood. Drugs and alcohol will have a presence in every high school, but higher income and more free time means more drugs.

I generally expect more drugs in wealthier schools. And drugs have never gone away.

. . .

Drugs and alcohol will have a presence in every high school, but higher income and more free time means more drugs.

:iagree: Acid in the kind of high school described by the OP doesn't surprise me at all. I'd expect it.

Like in Dune? :001_huh: