Menu

Books elderly ladies would enjoy

My grandmother liked Little Heathens, a memoir by a woman who grew up on a farm in Iowa (I think) during the Depression. I gave it to her after I read it, and it got passed around to many family members. Not a novel, of course, but thought I would throw it out there anyway, especially if your recipient grew up on a farm.

Terri

Hmm.

It would so depend on the lady in question. My grandma, for instance, is only a few yrs younger than my MIL, but worlds apart in personality. Grandma enjoys Steven King, James Patterson, crime novels, romance novels, anything and everything, really, with the exception of Christian fiction.

MIL would pass out at the sight of a Steven King cover, but *might* read Christian fiction (I say might b/c she's really not into reading anything outside of SDA stuff).

Perhaps a Reader's Digest collection might work? They're geared for a wide audience, and you get 4 stories in one book, plus they do have them in large print.

From my book clubs days, the older members (in your age range) enjoyed Atonement, a couple Ann Tyler novels, Bel Canto.... Diane Rhem just had readers' discussions on the Marilynne Robinson novels "Gilead" and "Home" that sounded excellent.

I loved Edward P. Jones' "The Known World" (novel) and "All Aunt Hagar's Children" (short stories), and am enjoying reading through Geraldine Brooks' historical fiction. I think "March" (about the father in Little Women) is next on my fiction list.

I just read Her Mother's Hope & Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers. They were excellent. The whole time I was reading them I kept thinking about how much my grandmother would enjoy them (she's 87).

These were wonderful, and I agree that they could very easily span generations in appeal. She may also really like Leota's Garden or The Scarlet Thread also by Francine Rivers.

Edited by mandymom

One a bit of a different track DH and I, MIL, and my grandmother all liked Who the Hell is Pansy O'Hara. Each chapter gave background behind some of the most famous books of our time and the authors (Gone with the Wind, Cold Blood, Frankenstein, the dictionary, and tons more). Really interesting read.