Menu

Anne McCaffrey has passed away.

Xuzi

Oh my god!!! :crying: As someone else put it, Pern was also my sanctuary when I was a teen. I was really, really into Pern fandom for years, even started up an online weyr that's still around to this day, though I haven't been involved since my early twenties. I even helped one of her sons with the Pern fandom rules on their official website.

I'm just in shock.

:(

I stumbled onto the Dragonriders of Pern when I was...ten? Fell in love. She had such a mind! Pern is still one of those "escape into the arms of an old friend" places. Love the Crystal Singer books. Really, I don't know if there were any of her books that I didn't just love...

I hate it when a good author dies.

I am sorry to hear of a death of an obviously loved author. Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with her stories. Can someone tell me what age the books are appropriate for? My DD is currently reading the Eragon series, but will finish it soon. Is a trip into the world of Pern a good next series for her?

I am sorry to hear of a death of an obviously loved author. Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with her stories. Can someone tell me what age the books are appropriate for? My DD is currently reading the Eragon series, but will finish it soon. Is a trip into the world of Pern a good next series for her?

I would say that you should definitely preread. They are wonderful and well-loved books but there are some sexual themes in them. They completely flew over my head when I was 10-11.

:crying:

I started into Pern in late high school, so read them through college and into grad school.

Pern is lovely, though with a young'un I'd start with the Harper Hall Trilogy; they were written with a slightly younger audience in mind. I've been considering them for my 8yo (she's a strong reader) but I've definitely got more time before she'll be ready for them. She did start the Rowan this summer and enjoyed it, though I think not enough to read more for a while.

All the future books are left 100% in the hands of her son now. :001_unsure:

Erm.

After reading his solo efforts so far, I think I'm just going to pretend the series ended some time ago.

That one scene where one of the Weyrwomen said she'd gladly sacrifice her queen dragon to save her boyfriend, or whatever it was... no, no, no.

Erm.

After reading his solo efforts so far, I think I'm just going to pretend the series ended some time ago.

That one scene where one of the Weyrwomen said she'd gladly sacrifice her queen dragon to save her boyfriend, or whatever it was... no, no, no.

I hear ya! I just recently read an article that stated that Anne was co-writing the next two books with her son. I got the impression she wasn't too happy about it, because she had been trying to finish other long-term projects, but had fallen ill - it seemed she was taking the co-writing on because of how off-kilter those recent Pern books have been.

I'd just finished reading his last book and was just agog at how tacky the book was and how he'd taken important Pern lore and just.... tossed it right out the window.

Sacrifice her gold dragon, indeed!!! *harumph* (and the dragon agreed with her in the book!! Inconceivable!!)

I bet Anne was a feisty, interesting lady. May she R.I.P. And may her son find another day job. ;)

Erm.

:iagree:

There aren't enough "I agree" buttons for this. I stopped buying them. I couldn't even read the last one I did buy. Gahh.

Oh my god!!! :crying: As someone else put it, Pern was also my sanctuary when I was a teen. I was really, really into Pern fandom for years, even started up an online weyr that's still around to this day, though I haven't been involved since my early twenties. I even helped one of her sons with the Pern fandom rules on their official website.

I'm just in shock.

Which one? I played on several online Perns back in the day.

ETA: And I really have not liked the most recent Pern books. I am surprised Anne allowed them to be published.

Edited by vonfirmath

I was so sad to hear this, because she was one of those authors I'd kept meaning to read. :(

When I found out yesterday, I put a library hold on what I hope is the first in the Pern series, The Chronicles of Pern: The First Fall (from searching around online, I see that she went back and wrote some prequels, is that right?). I got an email that my is in today. I'm going to walk to the library to get it so I can have it over Thanksgiving break!

Just thought I'd double-check that this is a good book to start with...

I was so sad to hear this, because she was one of those authors I'd kept meaning to read. :(

When I found out yesterday, I put a library hold on what I hope is the first in the Pern series, The Chronicles of Pern: The First Fall (from searching around online, I see that she went back and wrote some prequels, is that right?). I got an email that my is in today. I'm going to walk to the library to get it so I can have it over Thanksgiving break!

Just thought I'd double-check that this is a good book to start with...

I would prefer not to start with the prequels. You CAN -- but I'd start with either Dragonflight (the beginning of the adult series) or Dragonsong (the beginning of the juvenile trilogy).

Here's a site with a chronology of books and a suggested reading order -- I agree with their justifications:

http://pern.srellim.org/chrono.htm

I would prefer not to start with the prequels. You CAN -- but I'd start with either Dragonflight (the beginning of the adult series) or Dragonsong (the beginning of the juvenile trilogy).

Here's a site with a chronology of books and a suggested reading order -- I agree with their justifications:

http://pern.srellim.org/chrono.htm

Thanks! This is very helpful. :001_smile:

Which one? I played on several online Perns back in the day.

ETA: And I really have not liked the most recent Pern books. I am surprised Anne allowed them to be published.

I created Black River Weyr and... gosh, I think it was something like Red Skies Weyrling Training Facility- basically a Weyr where we got to have all hatchings, all the time. That one didn't last long.

I was in a few others, though the names escape me. It's been well over a decade, now. I was in Veridian (Veridia?) for a short time, though there were just too many people for my taste.

Looks like there's still some kind of wiki for BRW hanging around... their symbol in the corner is still the one I created, with the colors changed around. I wrote up a fairly elaborate schedule and guide for weyrlingmasters that I saw a few online weyrs had, er, borrowed within the last couple years.

I created Black River Weyr and... gosh, I think it was something like Red Skies Weyrling Training Facility- basically a Weyr where we got to have all hatchings, all the time. That one didn't last long.

I was in a few others, though the names escape me. It's been well over a decade, now. I was in Veridian (Veridia?) for a short time, though there were just too many people for my taste.

<-- My user name (here and many other places) is my brown dragon's name from the offline weyr, Telgar Weyr, 5th Pass

I never heard of that one. But I played North Continent (PernMUSH -- first clutch at Igen Weyr), SouCon, DragonsfireMOO -- I know I had incidental parts at other weyrs but those are ones I spent the most time on.

I am so sad to hear Anne McCaffrey has passed away! I have to tell dh in the morning.

I didn't discover her until my early 20's, but she has been one of my all-time favorites since then. In fact, my oldest son is named for the Rowan's oldest son, Jeran. My sister still laughs that I named my child for a sci-fi character, but his name is perfect!

I don't think I've read her son's solo attempts at Pern. Only the ones she co-wrote with him. I agree, though, that any rider willing to give up her dragon's life for a man is completely ridiculous! Especially a Queen Rider! Obviously her son doesn't understand the world of Pern at all. How sad!

I have been thinking of seeing if my dd would be interested in the Harper trilogy soon. She just turned 11 and I think she'd like them.