Menu

Does anyone else clean like this?

The other day I started cleaning because I needed to do a deep clean. I started in one room, picked something up to put it where it belongs(another room). Then I saw that the place where I had to put it was dusty so I wiped it off. Then I went to rinse out the rag and saw that I needed to scrub the tub. Then i took out the bathroom trash, got a new trashbag and rearranged the drawer where the trashbags are kept. And so on and so forth, flitting around the house doing whatever I saw next. I have always fought against this because it seems so inefficient but it actually worked and I got so much more done than I normally do when I assign myself to one room at a time. It seems so natural to my brain. I wonder if I can keep it up?

The other day I started cleaning because I needed to do a deep clean. I started in one room, picked something up to put it where it belongs(another room). Then I saw that the place where I had to put it was dusty so I wiped it off. Then I went to rinse out the rag and saw that I needed to scrub the tub. Then i took out the bathroom trash, got a new trashbag and rearranged the drawer where the trashbags are kept. And so on and so forth, flitting around the house doing whatever I saw next. I have always fought against this because it seems so inefficient but it actually worked and I got so much more done than I normally do when I assign myself to one room at a time. It seems so natural to my brain. I wonder if I can keep it up?

I have done something similiar a few times in the past. Unfortunately I usually stumble across something shiny and that is the end of cleaning. :lol: Apparently life is full of things that are shiner than cleaning my house. Ha

I tend to do that, but I always try to bring myself back to wherever I started. I like the look of having at least one area cleaned well rather than the entire house cleaned okay. I've also noticed that if I don't try to make myself work in a certain area, I'll overlook clutter because I'm just used to seeing it. If I make myself (and I have to MAKE myself!) go around a room, I catch a lot more. But if it's just a regular clean up, I do what you described.

Yes, I do this all the time.

I tried the Flylady 15 minutes in a room plan. You set a timer and focus on one room for 15 minutes. Then you go to the next room, and repeat. This system helped me stay in one room and get more done in that area.

HTH

I also wander from room to room when I clean. I always haul things from place to place, actually!

I like the 15 min per room idea. I think I will try that tomorrow.

This is me exactly. I blame it on my ADD though. :)

Me too! I can't blame ADD in my case...........so I blame my children! :tongue_smilie: I feel like most days I am following their path of destruction and distraction. I can always tell where I was when the kids started carrying on because I'll find a little pile of whatever was in my hands at the time in that spot. I have been trying to clean the Master Bathroom all week. Today I was reaching for the gloves when I was called to help retrieve a stuffed animal from the puppy. I swear I had told DD to put away the stuffed animal 3 times already; it is as though they are trying to render me incapable of completing a single task. :glare:

(Seriously. I'm trying to keep it quiet, but I really do think that Vol. 3 of SOTW with all the revolutions and uprisings has given them some dangerous ideas. You are not paranoid if they really are out to get you. :leaving: )

Yes, I do this all the time.

I tried the Flylady 15 minutes in a room plan. You set a timer and focus on one room for 15 minutes. Then you go to the next room, and repeat. This system helped me stay in one room and get more done in that area.

HTH

I like Flylady but I've found that I can't concentrate for even 15 minutes in one room. I now work in 5 minute increments.

I make my list like this:

Master Bedroom

5, 5, 5

Master Bath

5, 5, 5

School Room

5, 5, 5

DD's room

5, 5, 5

etc.

I then just work for 5 minutes, then move to a new room (and get great satisfaction from crossing off the 5s).

I know it sounds ridiculous :leaving: but it's working pretty well for me.

It works especially well for areas that are overwhelmingly messy (school room) because I know I can leave in 5 minutes.

I like Flylady but I've found that I can't concentrate for even 15 minutes in one room. I now work in 5 minute increments.

I make my list like this:

Master Bedroom

5, 5, 5

Master Bath

5, 5, 5

School Room

5, 5, 5

DD's room

5, 5, 5

etc.

I then just work for 5 minutes, then move to a new room (and get great satisfaction from crossing off the 5s).

I know it sounds ridiculous :leaving: but it's working pretty well for me.

It works especially well for areas that are overwhelmingly messy (school room) because I know I can leave in 5 minutes.

Ooh, yes! I love lists. :D

Who knows? Maybe my lack of attention span will help me keep my house cleaner.

The most efficient way I've found is:

• Pick everything up
  • Cloth (beds, curtains, etc.)
  • Mirrors/Glass
  • Wood Furniture
  • Hard Surfaces
  • Toilets
  • Mop
  • Vacuum

The trick for me is to do everything in the entire house under the specific category. It keeps me focused, and keeps me from getting distracted switching cleaners and rags. I read this in a magazine once, and it was supposed to be the fastest way to clean. I had my doubts, but I can clean my entire house in 3 hours if I do it this way (provided I've stayed somewhat on top of the picking up part).

I do it. It works if the house is not too bad. I will find a hairbrush, take it to the bathroom and clean off the cabinet. Then go back to cleaning, find something for my room and then gather all the toys the life snuck into my room.....then I take thhem to the playroom and pick up all of one type of toy.....then go back where I started. It feels a little haphazard....but sometimes it works.

Sometimes I have to really focus on a room so I use boxes to gather up what does not belong.

I have done something similiar a few times in the past. Unfortunately I usually stumble across something shiny and that is the end of cleaning. :lol: Apparently life is full of things that are shiner than cleaning my house. Ha

The shiny thing in my house is usually the computer, where I log in here and take a "few" minutes to see what you ladies are up to (maybe you'll have posted some miraculous cleaning, diet, exercise, teaching, etc., etc. tip that I might use that day!!!). An hour later, I remember I'm supposed to be cleaning!

Jodie

Yes. It is why I set the timer and refuse to do anything in any other room until 15 minutes is up in that particular room.

I sometimes follow that method, but it's usually more of...

go to put item up

see that it needs dusting

notice that the whole bookshelf/area needs dusting

decide to completely rearrange/declutter said bookshelf/area

two hours later wonder why I started in the first place (or I have to try to go clean up an even bigger mess than I started with) :glare:

I'm like the Family Circle comics where the mom sends the son to go get something and he goes all over the neighborhood before he finally gets to it!

I have learned to accommodate myself, though. Routines are my friend - I have to try and do the same things every day or week. For example, I always watch the latest episode of Biggest Loser while deep cleaning my kitchen. That way it gets done once a week!