Menu

Select 8 of Shakespeare's plays

pqr

We will be completing 8 over the next few years.

Obviously we want to run the board, tragedies, comedies, histories...

We also do not simply want the most famous.

I know what I am leaning towards but would appreciate suggestions.

Romeo and Juliet

Love's Labors Lost

The Tempest

Much Ado about Nothing

Henry V

Hamlet

Othello

Richard III

If I can only chose 8. These are ones I've seen and enjoyed. Well, maybe just seen. :) I don't remember Ricjard III enough to say if I enjoyed it or not. Othello was odd. Oh, some of these I saw live in an actual theater! But I saw film productions of several as well. Mom took me to a Shakespeare festival while a teen. Then I took a Shakespeare class in college. I enjoy Shakespeare. :001_smile:

Macbeth

Henry V

King Lear (I love the Patrick Stewart version King of Texas)

Twelfth Night

The Tempest

Midsummer's Nights Dream

Romeo and Juliet (and you SHOULD give di Caprio's version a viewing. I think it makes it about the emotions and actions rather than the olden days setting)

Merry Wives of Windsor

Merchant of Venice

Hamlet

Richard III

OK, I couldn't stop at 8. I think this is a list I'd like my kids to be familiar with by the time they leave college. Probably not enough time for all of them by the end of high school.

ETA: Ack, I forgot Othello. I really do need to get some tickets for plays.

Some of my choices are the most famous partly because they are famous for a reason and partly because they have become part of the fabric of Western Culture.

In no particular order -

Romeo and Juliet

King Lear

The Tempest

Midsummer's Night Dream

Hamlet

Othello

Macbeth

Merchant of Venice

Oh - and I wanted to choose one of the Henry's but I wasn't sure which one and that would put me over 8. . .

Some I would feel need to be included simply because they are so famous that they are constantly referenced in literature and art:

Hamlet

Rome and Juliet (I don't like it particularly, but I would feel it is a gap to have left it out)

Macbeth (great opera by Verdi!)

King Lear

Othello

Midsummer Night's Dream

Henry V (if only because of the Agincourt speech which we love)

and one more comedy

My choices would be:

Macbeth

Romeo & Juliet

Hamlet

As You Like It

The Merchant of Venice

A Midsummer Night's Dream

The Taming of the Shrew

King John (if you had to choose a historical...otherwise I would add in Julius Caesar which is considered a tragedy, not historical)

There are several others I would add also though.

Let's see what I can remember from my high school days where we did 2 Shakespeare plays per year for English.

Julius Caesar

Merchant of Venice

Hamlet

Macbeth

Othello

Taming of the Shrew

Hmm, I only remembered 6. I know we did not read Romeo and Juliet because as 9th graders in honors English we fussed about how the regular English classes got to read it but we didn't. :tongue_smilie:

Here are my suggestions (I'm offering 3 per category to give you a little wiggle room) and my reasons:

Tragedies:

King Lear, it's widely considered one of Shakespeare's masterpieces and that's saying something. It is important to know some of the names as this play has a definite spot in The Great Conversation. You'll need to know what it means to be a Cordelia. It also helps to be familiar with this play if and when one reads Moby Dick.

Romeo and Juliet, it's an adaptation of Pyramus and Thisbe. There are lots of adaptations that have come since. It is a tragedy that could have been a comedy if only this or that decision had been a little bit different.

MacBeth, the Scottish play. One of the pivotal moments for me is when Macbeth believes the witches have turned on him. Obviously, they didn't, they were never on his side. This is a very important point to learn in literature. Prophets are not for or against you. Many tragic characters make this mistake. Plus, you can watch Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

Comedies:

Merry Wives of Windsor, a play written because the Queen demanded it.

Midsummer Night's Dream, it's one of my favorites and contains lots of elements found in Shakespeare's other plays. I love The Bard poking at bit of fun at playwrights and players during the play within a play.

Measure for Measure, whereas R&J is a tragedy that could have been a comedy, Measure is a comedy that seems like a tragedy. The juxtaposition of the two plays is amazing.

Histories:

Henry V, the band of brothers speech. You don't need another reason.

Henry IV parts one and two, showing the progression of Henry's character from the young buck to a serious king.

Richard II, the contextual information on this play is *fascinating*. Intrigue, mystery, conspiracy against the throne.

Macbeth: first play I ever saw... it hooked me on Shakespeare. I saw it in an old abandoned lime quarry that had been converted to an outdoor theater.

Much Ado About Nothing

Henry V

A Midsummer Night's Dream: See it outdoors if possible.

Romeo and Juliet: since Bottom and his friends just performed Pyramus and Thisbe in MSND

King Lear

As You Like It

A Winter's Tale

Romeo and Juliet

Macbeth

Hamlet

Julius Caesar

Midsummer Night Dream

Merchant of Venice

Twelfth Night or Comedy of Errors

Richard III

There are others that I would recommend...It is so hard to pick just 8! 10-12...I think I could limit myself to that many. :)

Even with eight, this is a hard question. There is so much value in seeing a live performance, that I might look around to find any upcoming performances near you, and teach to those.

In addition to all the obvious resources, like Harold Bloom's "Shakespeare: Invention of the Human", and Plutarch, this DVD set is truely a gem: which shows young Royal Shakespeare Company actors (including a young Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Dame Judi Dench), getting a master class in performing Shakespeare. Our library has it, hopefully yours does as well.

OK, eight:

Hamlet: If you had to pick one, this would be it

Lear

The Scottish Play

Anthony and Cleopatra

As You Like it

Henry IV

Henry V

Midsummer Night's Dream

The Tempest

While I think there is value as children get older in reading and studying Shakespeare I think exposing them to the language and to the performance is even more important. A four year old can enjoy a live performance. A six year old may not understand every word but they can hear the language and get the general idea. Sometimes, they can surprise you be getting more than just the general idea.

These are the plays we've seen so far:

The Tempest

Julius Caesar

Hamlet

Twelfth Night

Much Ado About Nothing

No great literary studies or reading yet but when I tell my children we are going to see a play or listen to Shakespeare they cheer rather than groan. If only I'd had the same reaction in high school.

We had the opportunity to see the Royal Shakespeare Company perform Julius Caesar when my son was studying Ancients in 9th. Prior to this, we read Garfield's Shakespeare stories, so he was familiar with a number of plays. This was the first attempt at a more formal study.

Given my son's love of medieval history, we later chose to focus on the Bolingbroke cycle: Richard II, Henry IV Part One, Henry IV Part Two and Henry V.

If my son had not attended assorted stage performances or had seen films made of the plays, we may have gone another route. Admittedly, I love the English histories and the Roman plays so I naturally gravitate to them.

Edited by Jane in NC

Gee, I thought no one liked Merry Wives of Windsor!:tongue_smilie:

I wonder if I have fond recollections of it because it is one of the only plays that I watched without ever having to read and pick it apart. (Which is something I should keep in mind as I try to expose my own kids to the plays.)

I remember it as being quite funny. But that was 20 years ago, so I don't remember it with detail, only with pleasure.

I am doing a Shakespeare study with my dd and her friends this year and I have chosen:

Much Ado About Nothing

Macbeth

The Taming of the Shrew

Henry V

Hamlet

The Tempest

Romeo and Juliet

We are reading a children's version, watching a play or movie, then reading the original. We are also reading Shakespeare for Dummies, The DK Essential Shakespeare Handbook, and Brightest Heaven of Invention.

We will see on stage at our local Shakespeare Theater: Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Love's Labor's Lost, and Merchant of Venice. We will also see a local high school production of Much Ado About Nothing. Macbeth was two weeks ago and it was amazing!

Edited by Angel

• 2 weeks later...

I would number 1 go for King Lear. It is referred to in so many ways, lots of people don't even realize when. It is also often a hated play. I read it twice (senior year of HS and Freshman year of college). Unless you are a very visual person Lear is hard to get when you are reading it. I would have them watch this, I fell in Love with Lear and it is now one of my favorite plays. I have read it countless times, and I adore it.

Remember that Shakespeare was meant to be watched, not read. What my parents did was take me to a lot of Shakespeare plays, then once I loved Shakespeare introduced me to reading it. We were lucky in that we Live 4 hours from Ashland so we would go the the festival every summer. See what you have available locally. If not that, then I would start with some movies, before moving on to the readings. Remember not all movies are equal, some capture the artistry more than others.

Romeo and Juliet

Much Ado about Nothing

I would start by watching those, then move into reading some of the ones suggested. Don't forget about the sonnets, that can be a really nice place to start with the reading.

Have fun, I love most Shakespeare and I hope your kids do too.

Nicole

How about the more obscure of his plays?

Were one to pick one relatively unknown which would it be?

Do you think Merry Wives of WIndsor and Measure for Measure are well-known? I chose those partly because I think they are lesser known. :) I guess the better of the even more obscure might be Pericles?

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I think most of the comedies are somewhat known, I was thinking more along the lines of Timon, Pericles, Titus etc.

To me the least known of the comedies might be Winter's Tale.

Like I said, I like Measure for Measure because it is such a great contrast to Romeo and Juliet. They have opposing "flavors" a tragedy that turns out to be a comedy vs. a comedy that turns out to be a tragedy. I love that.

If you wanted to do Winter's Tale, then I would also do Hamlet because they are both largely psychological plays.

eta: To me, Shakespeare goes in pairs for nice compare and contrast in the analysis. That's the English major in me. :D

I think most of the comedies are somewhat known, I was thinking more along the lines of Timon, Pericles, Titus etc.

To me the least known of the comedies might be Winter's Tale.

That's funny, I was just about to post and recommend that one.

I won't pick eight, because for me, the most enjoyable of his plays and those that are most often referenced in other pieces of literature seem to be mutually exclusive, and obviously you're going to want to study plays that had a large impact on our culture. But I adore The Tempest, The Winter's Tale, and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

ETA: Also, if you get the chance, try reading one or two out of a First Folio copy. It can be hard to adjust to the language differences at first, but once your brain catches on, it's truly enjoyable reading the plays so much closer to the way he actually would have written them.

I really liked Mrs. Mungo's rationale earlier for doing Measure for Measure, especially if you also do (the travesty) of Romeo and Juliet.

I also was not long ago won over to Cymbeline as being worthwhile. The Shakespeare Theatre Company had a really nice performance of it last season or the season before.

You're already in for eight? Then why not do more? (*grin*)

Here's what we've done / are doing / plan to do:

The Misses began what I consider formal Shakespeare studies (as opposed to the more informal ways in which they became steeped in the language and stories) in academic year 2009-2010, when they studied (watched, read, discussed, wrote about, were tested on, etc.):

Julius Caesar *

Much Ado about Nothing *

Romeo and Juliet *

As You Like It **

The Tempest **

Last year they studied:

Twelfth Night *

Romeo and Juliet (review / revisit) ***

Henry V *

Macbeth ***

The Merchant of Venice ****

A Midsummer Night's Dream *

The Winter's Tale **

So far this academic year, they've tackled:

Henry IV, Part I *

Henry IV, Part II *

They will revisit / review The Tempest and A Midsummer Night's Dream and study Timon of Athens, as these plays are part of our 2011-2012 Chicago Shakespeare Theater (CST) subscription. We also have tickets for CST's The Taming of the Shrew, so the Misses will study that, as well.

The Shakespeare Project of Chicago will present Troilus and Cressida in April, so, you guessed it, that's been tentatively added to the list.

And over the summer they will either revisit / review As You Like It or study Othello or both, as these are both part of the Illinois Shakespeare Festival season.

I won't consider their education complete if they've left here without also studying Hamlet, Richard III, and King Lear. (Would that the CST staged these in the next year or two, eh?) So what does that bring their total to? Twenty? (*sigh*) I confess, we're a little heavy on Shakespeare and science fiction here. But what wondrous stuff.

Good luck with your Shakespeare studies.

* Film

** Live performance at the Illinois Shakespeare Festival

*** Live performance at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater

**** Live performance featuring F. Murray Abraham

More bardolatry here.

Edited by Mental multivitamin
To add bardolatry link.

MFS brings up a question I have-what order would you study the plays in? Do any have to precede another to be better understood? Are some more "entry level" than others?

I am considering beginning formal study by doing a plot summary version (even if it is as simple as Lamb or Nesbit), then reading the play, then seeing the play either live or video.

Also-what says the hive-traditional performance or a re-staged version- ie Ian McKlellen's Richard III or Patrick Stewart's Macbeth or David Tennant's Hamlet. Or doesn't it matter.

Any further ideas?

MFS brings up a question I have-what order would you study the plays in? Do any have to precede another to be better understood? Are some more "entry level" than others?

From an analysis standpoint? I think some are definitely easier to understand than others.

I am considering beginning formal study by doing a plot summary version (even if it is as simple as Lamb or Nesbit), then reading the play, then seeing the play either live or video.

You might not even need the summary if you use one of the "No Fear" books. They have a sort of modern language "translation" on one side of the page. But, I think if you wanted to do that? I would do summary, watch the play and then read the play.

Also-what says the hive-traditional performance or a re-staged version- ie Ian McKlellen's Richard III or Patrick Stewart's Macbeth or David Tennant's Hamlet. Or doesn't it matter.

Any further ideas?

I think plays and movies offer different experiences. A mix is good.

From an analysis standpoint? I think some are definitely easier to understand than others.

Do go into details please.

You might not even need the summary if you use one of the "No Fear" books. They have a sort of modern language "translation" on one side of the page. But, I think if you wanted to do that? I would do summary, watch the play and then read the play.

Why watch before read? Back in ancient times when I was in school we read and studied and then attended performances at the nearby festival.

I think plays and movies offer different experiences. A mix is good.

Sorry-I didn't mean stage vs. film productions. I mean traditional staging vs. relocated to a new time/place. Same Shakespearean lines but new setting/situation. Those were the first three commonly known re-settings that I could think of to try to explain. We may or may not have the opportunity to see staged versions but certainly have the ability to see films.

MFS-thanks for the links.

Do go into details please.

I think Romeo and Juliet is fairly easy to understand. But, I had to explain what was happening in MacBeth to my tenth grade English teacher.

Why watch before read? Back in ancient times when I was in school we read and studied and then attended performances at the nearby festival.

Because I think watching the play would inform your reading, which is important if you are reading for analysis or deeper understanding.

Sorry-I didn't mean stage vs. film productions. I mean traditional staging vs. relocated to a new time/place. Same Shakespearean lines but new setting/situation. Those were the first three commonly known re-settings that I could think of to try to explain. We may or may not have the opportunity to see staged versions but certainly have the ability to see films.

Ah, I see. Still, I think a mix is good. For example, you could watch the Zeffirelli version of R&J, then 10 Things I Hate About You for Taming of the Shrew. :D

I wrote out 12, then realized you only wanted 8. Oh boy difficult to cut out some very important ones. I'm a little light on the historical plays.

Midsummer's Nights Dream

Measure for Measure - I really think this is an interesting play

Taming of the Shrew

Richard II

Hamlet

Julius Caesar

Macbeth

either Romeo and Juliet or Othello