Menu

Why do other ppl have websites/blogs just for the sole purpose of bashing someone?

Anger? If this is someone in the public eye, like a politician, then everyone has the right to judge. But I'm not sure what "right" has to do with it, because humans judge all day long. We need to in order to live our lives. We'd never get anything done otherwise! Not all judging has negative grudge holding attached to it, however.

Rosie

I've seen a blog site set up to spread the word about a self-help guru who fraudulently claimed to be a psychologist. I view that as protection of the public. Nor would I look askance at a site commenting on public figures. What's the harm in spreading info that's true?

Edited by Iucounu

I've seen a blog site set up to spread the word about a self-help guru who fraudulently claimed to be a psychologist. I view that as protection of the public. Nor would I look askance at a site commenting on public figures.

I agree that public figures should expect comment (though outright meanness seems unnecessary). I have seen some about regular people, though, that are just so unkind.

There was a site I once saw that was just obsessed with the failings of a particular blogger. She was a homemaker who blogged about her life and faith; a bunch of readers just picked apart everything she said, looking for inaccuracies and untruths. Even if this blogger had been lying, she wasn't doing anybody else harm. The amount of attention her detractors gave to discrediting her was downright frightening.

I'll throw in with the jealousy vote.

I agree that public figures should expect comment (though outright meanness seems unnecessary). I have seen some about regular people, though, that are just so unkind.

There was a site I once saw that was just obsessed with the failings of a particular blogger. She was a homemaker who blogged about her life and faith; a bunch of readers just picked apart everything she said, looking for inaccuracies and untruths. Even if this blogger had been lying, she wasn't doing anybody else harm. The amount of attention her detractors gave to discrediting her was downright frightening.

I'll throw in with the jealousy vote.

That sounds deplorable. I don't know if the sort of conduct you describe is motivated by jealousy so much as hatred of others different from the self, but in any event it shows one of the less wonderful aspects of the web. Information that used to be passed secretly amongst gossipers is now shared openly.

This is different from old-school gossip in several ways that I can see:

* Most posters are anonymous, so they are more bold because of this.

* The gossip/attacks are participated in by a group, so they can egg each other on and confirm each other's beliefs: about the victim, their own righteousness, etc.

* The attacks can turn up in searches, so they're less likely to die out in the public consciousness than old-school gossip, and are likely to be more widely known.

I remember finding an old thread at this site about a blog, where a woman wrote about her anger at seeing two women watching a child happily playing at a playground, where one woman touched the other woman's back. Because she lived in an area where many gay people also lived, she assumed that these two women were lesbians, and what she saw as a PDA angered her, since she didn't feel that gay people should be affectionate in such a way in public.

She was lambasted publicly, and probably continues to be, by other internet posters. I think in that sort of situation, it's a little different from what you describe. That blogger put out there for the world to read her own statement about what she saw as unacceptable behavior in others, behavior which society finds acceptable. I feel that a certain amount of anger in others at her own blog was to be expected. She essentially opened up a discussion on acceptable behavior by gays in public, and had to expect others to join in the debate. She also had to expect that she would be seen by some as bigoted. She chose to post anyway.

It's certainly different when someone attacks someone just for holding a faith, making typos on a blog, etc. Some people need to just grow up.

Are you talking about a website or blog that criticizes celebrities or politicians or those in the public eye?

Or websites or blogs that are criticizing a personal acquaintance?

Yes, it's someone in the public eye.

The person maybe lying about not having homeschool help or domestic help, but who cares really.

I don't even personally know the person who I happened upon the blog that is thrashing them. I just think it's silly and petty to do.

The person maybe lying about not having homeschool help or domestic help, but who cares really.

I don't even personally know the person who I happened upon the blog that is thrashing them. I just think it's silly and petty to do.

Oh, geez.

You're talking about Pioneer Woman, aren't you?

Well, I'm not touching that with a ten-foot pole. People come out of the woodwork to defend her because she used to be on the boards. It's as if all logic and rationality goes out the window b/c, "She used to be one of uuuuuuuussssss!"

:auto:

Edited by unsinkable

Well I can imagine that if someone was setting themselves up as a homeschool housewife extraordinaire, all the while lying about having maids or tutors, someone might see the usefulness in pointing out to to the rest of the other homeschooling housewives that they are not miserable failures, but are comparing themselves to a fictionalized character.

Well I can imagine that if someone was setting themselves up as a homeschool housewife extraordinaire, all the while lying about having maids or tutors, someone might see the usefulness in pointing out to to the rest of the other homeschooling housewives that they are not miserable failures, but are comparing themselves to a fictionalized character.

:iagree:

And said housewife extraordinaire could quite easily take the wind out of the sails of the bashers by posting some sort of disclaimer on her site explaining it is fictionalized.

Yep, there are a bunch of Ree bashing sites. Yep, she's got a lot of money and help and whatever. She can be who she wants and blog what she wants.

I think those folks are jealous and they've jumped on the "she's not keeping it real" thing and blah blah blah. Some are angry about the wild horse thing.

Ranching isn't easy. If she just wants to blog about the fun, let her. She's not hurting anyone. If you like her blog, read it. If you don't, don't. I love her recipes, butter and all.

And I'm not particularly defending her, I just think the others are petty.

Yep, there are a bunch of Ree bashing sites. Yep, she's got a lot of money and help and whatever. She can be who she wants and blog what she wants.

I think those folks are jealous and they've jumped on the "she's not keeping it real" thing and blah blah blah. Some are angry about the wild horse thing.

Ranching isn't easy. If she just wants to blog about the fun, let her. She's not hurting anyone. If you like her blog, read it. If you don't, don't. I love her recipes, butter and all.

I guess I fall in the middle because I do enjoy reading her blog and using her recipes, but I am also glad to know it's fiction. I think it would benefit her to put a disclaimer on her site in order to take away the controversy. On the other hand, I don't care enough that I would actually build a site of my own just to expose her. I can think of many things I would rather do if I had that kind of extra time.

:iagree: If you've read her any length of time its obvious she exaggerates. I don't think it's malicious. I exaggerate when I tell family tales just to make people laugh and smile.

People who set up websites for the sole purpose of exposing a 'blogger' need a life - IMO. If you don't like it - don't read it.

And it's other homeschool blogs that make me feel inferior at times - there is no way in heck I could compare my situation to Ree's.

Perfectly said.

Ok, I admit it, it was Ree. I was trying to find video of her cooking show (we don't have satiliete or anything) and happened to see a website for her that wasn't very kind.

I'm not really for or against her. It matters not to me. I do enjoy her recipes, pics (I don't care if they're photoshoped or not) and occasionally her musings.

I just think it's a waste of time and energy to have a whole site to diss someone like that. Silly really.

I guess I fall in the middle because I do enjoy reading her blog and using her recipes, but I am also glad to know it's fiction. I think it would benefit her to put a disclaimer on her site in order to take away the controversy. On the other hand, I don't care enough that I would actually build a site of my own just to expose her. I can think of many things I would rather do if I had that kind of extra time.

:iagree: If you've read her any length of time its obvious she exaggerates. I don't think it's malicious. I exaggerate when I tell family tales just to make people laugh and smile.

People who set up websites for the sole purpose of exposing a 'blogger' need a life - IMO. If you don't like it - don't read it.

And it's other homeschool blogs that make me feel inferior at times - there is no way in heck I could compare my situation to Ree's.

I really enjoyed her blog at first, but sort of like a subscription to a magazine, after a year of 'happenings' I started to feel like I had read it all before.

I do remember I laughed so hard at her stories of her brother that I had tears on my face. Then she got all PC on us---but I don't begrudge her having her own show or her own cookbook or her own ranch.

With few exceptions, I tend to think people who blog stuff like that have issues. It tells me more about the bitter blogger than it does the person they are trying to malign.

I wouldn't put informative blogs that are trying to uncover fraud in that category though.

The person that has the anti-pw blog feels she was personally slighted by PW. I think that is what is motivated her, along with a lot of jealousy. I think you have to see she has issues, it's way too rabid to be any form of normal.

I used to read PW in the early days and really liked it, having been a homeschooling ranch mom it was fun to read her funny spin on it all. I vividly remember seeing one of the first photos she posted of her kitchen and I thought oh, ok... this lady really isn't someone I can relate to long term. The more she revealed about her personal life the less I could relate to her. Until then I thought she was a little more in the trenches than she really is. From what I've read here and other places, I'm not the only one that has that perspective. She didn't really represent herself accurately in the beginning or maybe she has just changed but I think that's why the haters get traction and the anti-pw blog gets readers/contributers. In part-jealousy is a factor too!

I really enjoyed her blog at first, but sort of like a subscription to a magazine, after a year of 'happenings' I started to feel like I had read it all before.

This. It didn't take me long to realize that someone with that much money is NOT doing it all herself, but I'm not going to put up a blog trashing her. To each their own. Like I said, I enjoy some of her recipes, photos and some of the musings (but the musing DO get old, like you stated).

Am I the only person on the planet who has never read or looked at the Pioneer Woman?? I don't get it. I live in the bonnies and I but I kinda feel like if you live within an hour of a hospital or a grocery store, you're not really a "pioneer."

I don't know for sure but I think she is almost that far from a grocery store or hospital.

It is a cool blog nonetheless. I don't even care that she is a rich rancher instead of a working rancher. I enjoy a lot of what she writes, but just got a little burned out.

This. It didn't take me long to realize that someone with that much money is NOT doing it all herself, but I'm not going to put up a blog trashing her. To each their own.

I agree with this. It is obvious that she has more money and help than I do. So does SWB. That doesn't mean they aren't real homeschoolers or that they aren't in the trenches. It just means I cannot necessarily expect to do the same.

Am I the only person on the planet who has never read or looked at the Pioneer Woman?? I don't get it. I live in the bonnies and I but I kinda feel like if you live within an hour of a hospital or a grocery store, you're not really a "pioneer."

She is from Oklahoma. There is a famous statue there called The Pioneer Woman. Ree's blog name is just a take on that.