Menu

Why is it. . . (stamina content)

Why is it that I can be moderately busy all day schooling the kids, doing laundry, cleaning, taking care of the dogs and need no nap. But if I go out like I did today for most of the day, but yet really do less strenuous activity because most of the time I'm sitting in the car or a waiting room or a restaurant booth, I am extremely fatigued. Fatigued to the point that I fell asleep in the car in the library parking lot and had to struggle to get myself through the rest of the errands and get home. Ds14 thinks that it has something to do with me needing to be more mentally alert when I'm out and it drains my energy. He had a complicated illustration regarding computers and CPU usage to go with his opinion.;) He also thought that my body is being bombarded by germs when I'm out and had a complicated war illustration too.:D

What do you think?

I don't know the answer but driving and running errands wears me out fast, too. I think maybe its because I'm actually more mentally alert when driving ~ watching out for all those crazy drivers.

ETA: When I first read what you wrote I thought you said your ds said you didn't need to be so mentally alert. Oops! I agree with your ds!

There was a study recently about decision-making and how you use energy when you make decisions. So, being out & about, you're constantly choosing to buy this or that, or refrain from buying this or that, it uses up your glucose. To me errand days are easier now that I plan a coffee break in the middle!

I am the SAME way, Jean, it's not just you. A day out means I need the next day to just idle. If I spend the afternoon at the mall, say, I can't do a thing the next day. I really am useless.

I honestly think it's because so much emotional input is required from me (an introvert) that it's exhausting.

Why is it that I can be moderately busy all day schooling the kids, doing laundry, cleaning, taking care of the dogs and need no nap. But if I go out like I did today for most of the day, but yet really do less strenuous activity because most of the time I'm sitting in the car or a waiting room or a restaurant booth, I am extremely fatigued. Fatigued to the point that I fell asleep in the car in the library parking lot and had to struggle to get myself through the rest of the errands and get home. Ds14 thinks that it has something to do with me needing to be more mentally alert when I'm out and it drains my energy. He had a complicated illustration regarding computers and CPU usage to go with his opinion.;) He also thought that my body is being bombarded by germs when I'm out and had a complicated war illustration too.:D

What do you think?

I think...I wish I were as smart as your ds!

I have no theories as to why, but :grouphug: :grouphug:

We talk about this at co-op. We're less active there b/c we have help from other moms teaching, but we're usually exhausted by the end of the day even if we've spent most of the day chatting. I used to think it was b/c of all the packing books/food, racing out of the house, etc, but now we've simplified even that.

I do know why it's exhausting taking little kids out. Whew, glad I'm finished with that stage.

Laura

I am the SAME way, Jean, it's not just you. A day out means I need the next day to just idle. If I spend the afternoon at the mall, say, I can't do a thing the next day. I really am useless.

I honestly think it's because so much emotional input is required from me (an introvert) that it's exhausting.

:iagree: That's exactly how I feel.

I don't know why either, but running errands all day is so exhausting. Driving around from one place to the next, and then the next, and so forth is also exhausting.

I notice it too. I was out of the house for 12 solid hours on Halloween and was incredibly wiped out yesterday because of it.

I agree that it is not just you, Jean. I could have written any of the responses above. Kids and I go to CC on tuesdays, and Wednesday has become a 'weekend' day for us so we are doing school on saturday now. We are wiped out on wednesday. The kids sleep late and I will take a nap in the afternoon. There are days (b/c dh and I are getting by with one car so I am driving him in the a.m. and p.m.) when I am out for hours at a time and logging 4-6 hours behind the wheel.

What do you think?

I think he hit the nail on the head! I have this problem also. It's draining to deal with traffic and strangers. Give me a bubble to live in any day of the week!

:iagree: And I need a "d'oh!" smilie face, too.

I'm so glad to see this thread! I used to come home from homeschool park day absolutely wiped out, and all I had done was sit and chat with a group of moms for 3 or 4 hours. My extroverted friends would say how park day really revived them! I could never relate.

Now I've got 12 violin students, and rehearsals each week for 2 trios and an orchestra, and I keep thinking I'm such a wimp for being wiped out after music days. Add to that driving ds to community college classes -- on the southern California freeways -- good grief! No wonder I'm tired and indulge in weekend afternoon naps.

I have been trying to properly remember a theory I read that might apply.

When you are out and about running errands, taking kids places, ... you spend a lot of time sitting. This tells your body it is time to rest and relax so it sends out chemicals to your body to rest. But then you don't let your body or mind rest and you fight those relaxing chemicals, which is hard and makes you tired. Then you need something to help you stay awake. If not you get more tired, which sends out more sleepy chemicals, .... If you do get something you get a sugar or caffeine high which you later crash from.

Also when out with other people your caveman brain is trying to stay on constant alert around so many strangers, and keeping a eye out for a cave lion attack.

When you are at home you might spend some time sitting and relaxing but your body is able to listen to those relaxing chemicals your body sends out and you can kick up your heels and really relax for a few minutes. You are not having to fight them the same way to stay awake.

When you are out and about doing something physical such as hiking, your body never sends out chemicals saying, "relax" instead it sends out chemicals similar to a runner's high. So your body is getting a dose of chemicals that are telling it, "You are great, you are physically active, let me give you a little something to keep you going."

How are you sleeping at night? My husband used to get so tired and almost fall asleep driving or just sitting on the couch. Anything monotonous would send him snoozing. He was alright if he was active had things to do. He had a sleep study done and was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. He used a CPAP machine now when he sleeps which allows him to get better sleep. No more feeling like he is going to fall asleep driving.