Menu

Do you think soda can be addictive?

If your preteen only drank sugar soda and nothing else and was also developing a serious weight problem would you make her stop cold turkey even if she claimed she got a headache and shakes without it.

For me, I wouldn't care if she WAS addicted, I'd brew a big pot of strong unsweetened ice tea to help with the headache and tell her her soda days are over. I'd stick it out even if she threw up for a week.

I know it would be hard to watch, but it sure beats a lifetime of weight related health and self-esteem issues.

Is there something I'm not taking into account? Is there another side to the problem? I'm asking because I really want to understand.

If your preteen only drank sugar soda and nothing else and was also developing a serious weight problem would you make her stop cold turkey even if she claimed she got a headache and shakes without it.

For me, I wouldn't care if she WAS addicted, I'd brew a big pot of strong unsweetened ice tea to help with the headache and tell her her soda days are over. I'd stick it out even if she threw up for a week.

I know it would be hard to watch, but it sure beats a lifetime of weight related health and self-esteem issues.

Is there something I'm not taking into account? Is there another side to the problem? I'm asking because I really want to understand.

I'd do what you describe here. I'm sure it can be addictive but I think cold turkey is the best way to go.

Well, if the soda has caffine in it, the child might actually BE going thru withdrawal. I've had to cold-turkey off coffee a couple of times in the past and the headache/nausea is really no fun. But it does go away after a couple of days.

I would be more inclined to push water rather than tea because it's easier of the tummy. Maybe give her her own water bottle and fill it up in the morning for her to sip on?

is that some people would want the child to "buy into" the new plan. When a kid is a teen, you start to want to let them make decisions and deal with consequences. A lot of parents will give lip service to this, but then not allow the child to make any decisions that the parent thinks are bad decisions. So really, the teen is only able to make minor insignificant decisions or decisions that the parent agrees with.

I don't let my teens drink many sugar sodas to start with, and since they are home with me a lot, their opportunities to drink soda all day are limited. I think soda is pure junk and I would not want to be in this person's situation.

But once in it, I can understand a parent wanting to approach the problem in a way that wasn't so dictatorial. Depends on the age of the teen, the types of health problems, the parent and teen's personalities, etc, but I can see a parent handling this differently than you say you would.

I'm also wondering about another question. If you have strict rules about no soda or HFCS do you think it is reasonable to allow a teenagers to buy those things with their own money to drink at home?

My feeling is that is fine, but I'm not sure why.

As someone who has given up coffee (and therefore caffeine) cold turkey in the past, I can tell you that the headache which accompanied it had me begging for mercy. (And I have a high pain tolerance...but it rivaled my migraines in its intensity.)

Caffeine addiction is a very real physiological issue. Caffeine should not be stopped cold turkey unless you hate yourself and wish to suffer! It should be weaned from gradually.

I agree with weaning gently.

I think if you don't allow soda, you just plain shouldn't allow it. Doesn't matter if Santa Claus brings it, you shouldn't allow it. :D After all, it's not the $ that is the issue, it's the health standards of the family you are upholding. "In this house, we do this. When you get your own house, have at it."

I was mentioning the tea to alleviate the caffeine withdrawals.

I was a HEAVY diet coke drinker and I gave it up a few weeks ago (cold turkey). In its place, I have been drinking a cup of green tea, 1-2 times per day. It doesn't have nearly as much caffeine as what I was getting in my diet coke, but I think it helped the caffeine withdrawals somewhat (although I still had pretty bad headaches).

As far as it being addictive...YES it is!!! Just now, I was thinking of how I would love to drink a nice cold diet coke. Mmmmmm....sometimes green tea just doesn't cut it!

AND I agree about pushing water. That has helped me tremendously.

Good luck!

There is no way I would make one of mine quit cold turkey. I still remember weaning myself off soda when pregnant with older dd. It was hard doing it gradually but nothing compared to what it was when I tried just stopping. The headaches are very real and painful. I just gradually reduced the amount each day, then every other day, (and so forth) and within two weeks was completely done.

As someone who's had to force myself through caffeine/soda withdrawal as an adult.... I say it's definitely a good idea to get her off of the soda as a teen, before it causes lifelong damage. Caffeine withdrawal is real, and it can be hell. I threw away a pack of cigarettes when I realized I was pregnant with DS. No problem. Kicking caffeine? I thought I was dying. It turned out that having absolutely no caffeine can trigger migraines for me. I don't know if that's because of all of the Coke I drank over the years, or if it's just how I am.

So, I would advise pushing water, keeping Excedrin on-hand, and letting her detox from the soda. I wouldn't force school work, chores, anything. I would treat it like an illness if asking anyone to kick soda cold turkey.

Of course, if it's not caffeinated, then my little anecdote is irrelevant.

As someone who has given up coffee (and therefore caffeine) cold turkey in the past, I can tell you that the headache which accompanied it had me begging for mercy. (And I have a high pain tolerance...but it rivaled my migraines in its intensity.)

Caffeine addiction is a very real physiological issue. Caffeine should not be stopped cold turkey unless you hate yourself and wish to suffer! It should be weaned from gradually.

My doc said the same thing when I first got pregnant. I just kept cutting back and I was a massive soda drinker. 6-8 20 oz a day!!! I would never in a billion years put my kid through that headache.

I'm assuming this is not YOUR preteen?

Given it's a pre-teen (12 or under?), I'd simply stop buying the stuff, on the idea that the food budget is for nutrition, and soda provides none. Pre-teens, even schooled ones, don't have all that much access to drinks not provided by mom. If withdrawal was an issue, I might wean the family slowly, buy buying less each week and letting it run out. I'd also be sure to provide other options for caffeine and so on, with the ultimate goal of getting down to mostly water. It would not bother me if the child bought the occasional soda with their own money; knowing that pre-teens are usually not wealthy.

That said, not every mom would do this, especially if mom is also a soda drinker. And not every mom would link the soda with health issues. Look at how many people in our country drink soda at most meals. If this is a friend, all you can do is model good nutrition, give gentle advice when asked, and serve healthy food to visitors in your own home.

No it is not my child. Yes, under 12.

I know it is none of my business. I just want to be a better more compassionate friend, and it helps when all of you can give me really good reasons for doing things differently than I ever would.

I would never say anything. I know it is not my place.

The headaches are HORRIBLE and tea does not touch it, ime. Neither does Tylenol or Advil. I took up coffee drinking to break my soda habit. Coffee with sweet n low. Can she drink diet soda?