Menu

Warning rant - junior size girls clothes!

Guest Barb B

What size is she? Old Navy has reasonably priced, decently fitting jeans and pants. My 16 year old and I shop there quite a bit. Plain old Levi's are good, too.

Yes, Old navy just kind of fits her weird. And I would love plain levis - I can't seem to find just levi's - skinny and jeggins but not plain old levi's - where do you get them?

Barb

ok what are jeggings? (I must be old)

Picture leggings (like tights) but jeans material, but sort of stretchy. Skin tight.

Worse then super skinny jeans.

Barb

OK - looked at justice online - they have skinny, jeggings and flare (none of which dd or I like) and the boot cut come in skinny, low cut (why do we need to worry about showing a b*& crack when bending over or sitting), and one with hearts all over (very kid looking).

Barb

If you don't like skinny, jeggings, or flare, what do you want? Boot cut? I second the Delia's recommendation - they're pretty expensive, but if you're really having trouble, you might want to go there. They have punch cards and other coupons, as well. I have two pairs of skinny jeans from there and one nice pair of dark wash boot cut jeans.

I have a very hard time getting pants to fit, as well - I'm 5"7' and 14, and most pants I try on are too tight in the legs and too big in the waist. I have had some success at Delia's, though, and I used to get jeans at Aeropostale.

As far as black pants for church, there are black dress pants at Kohl's and JCPenney in a variety of sizes - you can probably find something at one of those places.

Oh - I didn't mean that! SHe and I agree mostly - the clothes of her generation are bad - slutty actually. So it is not like she wants to wear whats out there and I don't let her. We both go from store to store agreeing - the stuff is terrible! We both hate the skirts and dresses out there - why oh why would one want to wear something that is barely below the underwear line! And neither of us get the idea of wearing something short and putting leggins with it - really , they are leggings - almost like going naked so why bother! We both agree leggins look stupid!

Going to TJ MAXX - cause we haven't been there. And back to target - for jeans. I know someone said they fall apart or something - but she is 14 and isn't really hard on jeans (like my 8 yr old son is!)

Barb

Okay why do you keep making comments like "slutty" and references to "standing on a street corner"? :confused:

Do you realize that many of us have teenage daughters who enjoy wearing skinny jeans, leggings, and other current fashions? Or that many of US wear those same current fashions?

I went and peeked at this "Delias" store (we don't have that here) and they have a lot of cute outfits ~ it looks exactly like the stuff my daughter and her friends all wear. I was expecting some kind of .. I don't know what. (You said the store seemed like it was for girls who "stand on street corners")

On a slightly related note.. I am SO GLAD to see flares coming back! I want the ones the guitar girl is wearing.. I don't find skinnies very comfortable, but I love me some low-rise flares. I missed them when they vanished.. now I hope that the flared sweats come back as well.. hate hate the elastic ankle ones that are everywhere right now.

I'm not familiar with American stores, so I'm not much good for suggestions as to shopping places… but someone mentioned thrift shops - love love. :D

My girls dress "conservative-classic-prep." As soon as they can fit into a size 2, they start wearing Misses career wear. We find a lot of skirts at New York & Company. They get jeans at GAP and khakis at Land's End and dress pants at JCPenney's, Kohl's, Macy's, etc. in the "career wear" section. For me, it's easiest to identify classic pieces that certain stores sell, and then we just buy the next size each year. They always get about the same wardrobe each year anyway.

Old Navy pants are too wide for me, much less dd. I had to return a 2 that my mom had got me because they were too bunched up with a belt. Great for people with curves, but for curveless, I don't bother anymore.

We used to get them all the time, but this year, my mom bought my girls a pair each of the ones they normally wear, and they are wider. They don't offer a Slim afaik, so I think Old Navy is out now.

OK - looked at justice online - they have skinny, jeggings and flare (none of which dd or I like) and the boot cut come in skinny, low cut (why do we need to worry about showing a b*& crack when bending over or sitting), and one with hearts all over (very kid looking).

Barb

I'm afraid you will just be out of fashion entirely by not wearing skinny or flare. 'regular' leg doesn't exist anymore AFAIK.

Have you tried American Eagle? They have a variety of styles, washes and lengths. My 16 year old is 5 ft 10 and very skinny and her older sister is 5 ft 1 and also skinny. They both have good luck there.
I'd recommend this too. or the Charlotte Russe I mentioned earlier. Those fit my dd great but were a good 3 inches longer than the Justice ones. They are low rise though. My dd prefers the fit of low rise and we have a zero tolerance policy on butt-cracks, so they might be okay for your dd.

My girls were leggings and babydoll dresses with boots to church a lot!

This is a popular look around here, too. I realize OP thinks leggings are stupid, but I think they're really cute when worn correctly. Also, opaque tights -- around here black is popular, but navy and brown are more "current" on the Paris streets.

Not much help in the pants department -- I sew. As my girls have gotten older, its become more and more of a necessity in order to come up with things they like that actually fit. And believe me, they're learning how to sew, too. They see what freedom it brings.

We used to get them all the time, but this year, my mom bought my girls a pair each of the ones they normally wear, and they are wider. They don't offer a Slim afaik, so I think Old Navy is out now.

I do find that cheaper stores tend to size their stuff to fit a larger person. If you kiddos are skinny, you may have to go more upscale. (And vice-versa.)

I know that the whole shopping thing can be grueling, but it helped me to get through it when I changed my thinking. It's not so much "we need to go out and get such-and-such item", but rather "we need to go out together and share some time looking at clothes". When you change the purpose of the trip, and see it as much more than just a functional purchase (like going to the grocery store for a chicken would be), it can help it be less frustrating. Shopping trips are time spent with a dd, maybe time spent with one or two of her friends. It's an opportunity to talk about various looks and the messages they send. It's an opportunity to pass on info about how to look at a clothing item and see how well it is made (or not), to check the seams to see that they are well-sewn, to look for the care tag to see if it is dry-clean only, to scrunch the fabric to see if it will hold a wrinkle or shake them off easily, and so on. You can discuss building a wardrobe, working with clothes you already have, freshening up a look for a new season through a key new accessory or two. And that's just the part about clothes. There's so much mother-daughter stuff to discuss on these trips. AND you might actually find a pair of jeans that fit. KWIM? I know it's not easy to find the time for this kind of thing, but re-framing it as mother-daughter time was helpful to me.

If you order online you can get tons of different jean options. For example Levi's are available in several styles that are not often in stores and are available at the levis.com site and other sites. Straight leg jeans are super popular on many sites; I don't see how trouser jeans can be portrayed by anyone as "slutty" or "standing on the street corner" style and I see them for sale at many places. Boyfriend jeans are usually very loose fitting and if your daughter is 5'4 she should be able to move into women's sizes right?(I am 5'4 and can find jeans, I do find it necessary to occasionally get them professionally hemmed)

Bootcut jeans still are the most popular style in terms of number of sales in the United States. If you are having problems buy jeans were older women buy their jeans, Talbots or LL Bean maybe?

However, you probably don't want to listen to my jeans input. I often wear super skinny jeans and have been known to wear 5 inch heels with them. The horror! :lol:Maybe this is why I don't have a problem finding clothes for my daughter? I just have bad taste! :lol: Seriously, though I hope you find jeans that your daughter likes, not finding jeans that make you happy is irritating!

You might look at:

http://www.downeastbasics.com/apparel.aspx

Cute, modest clothes--especially the dresses and skirts, IMO :)

Thank you for mentioning this. Cute stuff.

And to the OP, I know you are frustrated, but may I suggest that you go into the clothes shopping experience with more of an "I'm open to new possibilities" sort of attitude? Might you both benefit more from taking the position that this is what is out here, this is what's in style, and there is nothing wrong with being stylish? A 14 year old does not need to wear clothes from Talbot's or LL Bean or Lands' End. She is 14 and has the rest of her life to wear Mom Clothes. No, you don't want her to look slutty, but truthfully, many of the clothes I see in stores like Delia's don't look slutty in real life. Girls wear leggings under short skirts and tanks under the dresses and long sweaters over slim jeans. They come out of stores like Delia's looking cute and 14. Not like their moms, but they do not look like they need to be on a street corner, either.

Of course you know your daughter best, but I am coming at this from the position of having been there. When I was that age, I bought the most boring clothes imaginable, and I also struggled to find what I thought were appropriate clothes. When I look back on pictures, I wonder, "What was my mother thinking to let me walk around dressed like that?" I looked like I was 40. I now have a 14 year old daughter of my own, and she has her own fit issues (don't they all?), but I encourage her to dress like she is 14. For the most part, her clothes are cute and stylish and flattering, and if you can tell she has a cute little body underneath the clothes, so what? She does, and it would take a burkha to hide that fact.

I truly, truly do not mean to offend or sound at all like I am chastising you, but shopping for a tall, skinny 14 year old should be fun, and it pains me to hear that searching for something that just may not be out there is taking the joy out of it for you.

Terri

Edited by plansrme

Okay why do you keep making comments like "slutty" and references to "standing on a street corner"? :confused:

Do you realize that many of us have teenage daughters who enjoy wearing skinny jeans, leggings, and other current fashions? Or that many of US wear those same current fashions?

I went and peeked at this "Delias" store (we don't have that here) and they have a lot of cute outfits ~ it looks exactly like the stuff my daughter and her friends all wear. I was expecting some kind of .. I don't know what. (You said the store seemed like it was for girls who "stand on street corners")

:D

No, sorry I actually didn't. DD and her friends ALL hate skinny jeans. You all are acting as if I am forcing dd to wear what I want her to wear. She actually is very uncomfortable in short skirts (and it is just my opinion that the leggings are really not much different then bare skin.)

And my dd friends and her all talk about how difficult it is to get clothes - none of them like the skinny jeans - they are modest and conservative young girls. So, I really was hoping that the posters to this thread would be the same. And I thank the ones that have. But to those of you who aren't modest or conservative in dress (or your dd aren't) that is your choice - but please, stop acting like DD and I can't be modest and conservative in dress.

And as far as the person who said if we don't wear skinny jeans or jeggings. . . that she would be entirely out of style - WHO CARES! I want her to wear HER style, not style dictated by "the in crowd".

Finally found a pair of basic jeans yesterday - no, she doesn't feel out of place - quite the opposite, she feels comfortable with herself and her style choices.

Now that some of you ticked me off - I will say it --- jeans that are skin tight give boys one message. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying your girls want to give this message or are even aware of this. But, skin tight around the but and behind and low rise to show but cracks well - that gives one message to the boys and that is "jump into my jeans!". WHen dd tries that type of jeans on we both are appalled - no I am not dictating to her something she will regret later when she is 40. I am giving her the confidence to dress as SHE wants - and that is to dress modestly.

Barb

Old Navy definitely offers slim jeans. My girls are as skinny as they come, and often wear Old Navy jeans.

To the OP:

My eldest wears skinny jeans. But she is *very* slender (5'6" and 95 lbs). She does not look immodest. She looks cute and 15. She does not look like she belongs on a street corner. Boys would not get the "wrong message" from how she dresses.

You can say, "I know X is fashionable, but that isn't what my dd prefers" and not put down other people and their daughters.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Old Navy has a variety of styles so most people should find something which works for them. I am a 5'10" curvy size 12. I wear the Sweetheart style. My friend is a 5'5" straight up and down boyish size 2, and she found some jeans which worked well for her. Something which I have found about Old Navy jeans...they tend to gap in the back of the waist for me when I try them on. After washing, they fit fine. Boot cut is not a huge flare, just a larger opening at the bottom which accomodates boots. I wear boot cut mostly, both in Old Navy and Levi's. Levi's makes some really cute and fashionable jeans in all sizing, including short and tall. They have some stretch. They do run a bit larger in sizing. I am a size 10 in Levi's and a size 12 in other pants/jeans.

IMO, skinny people look just fine in skinny jeans. Curvy people like me don't need to be wearing skinny jeans. They are not flattering on me. I just look like a sausage stuffed into a too small casing.:001_huh:

Now that some of you ticked me off - I will say it --- jeans that are skin tight give boys one message. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying your girls want to give this message or are even aware of this. But, skin tight around the but and behind and low rise to show but cracks well - that gives one message to the boys and that is "jump into my jeans!".

omg. :laugh:

Okay whatever. Have fun shopping!

No, sorry I actually didn't. DD and her friends ALL hate skinny jeans. You all are acting as if I am forcing dd to wear what I want her to wear. She actually is very uncomfortable in short skirts (and it is just my opinion that the leggings are really not much different then bare skin.)

And my dd friends and her all talk about how difficult it is to get clothes - none of them like the skinny jeans - they are modest and conservative young girls. So, I really was hoping that the posters to this thread would be the same. And I thank the ones that have. But to those of you who aren't modest or conservative in dress (or your dd aren't) that is your choice - but please, stop acting like DD and I can't be modest and conservative in dress.

Barb

Skinny jeans are not necessarily immodest! Many flared jeans and bootcut jeans fit just like skinny jeans, as far as tightness goes, but with a little more flare at the bottom! You can find skinny jeans that aren't too tight - it just takes some searching. Many times I have to go with skinny jeans that are big around the waist but fit in the legs, not too tight, and then wear a belt. You just have to make it work - long sweaters are also helpful. Also, as far as skirts go, there are some dressier skirts that are about knee-length at places like Kohl's and JCPenney.

But you still haven't explained what kind of jeans you really want? Do you want them to be loose and straight? Or what?

Barb

Skinny jeans are not necessarily immodest! Many flared jeans and bootcut jeans fit just like skinny jeans, as far as tightness goes, but with a little more flare at the bottom! You can find skinny jeans that aren't too tight - it just takes some searching. Many times I have to go with skinny jeans that are big around the waist but fit in the legs, not too tight, and then wear a belt. You just have to make it work - long sweaters are also helpful. Also, as far as skirts go, there are some dressier skirts that are about knee-length at places like Kohl's and JCPenney.

But you still haven't explained what kind of jeans your daughter really wants! Do you want them to be loose and straight? Or what?

Now that some of you ticked me off - I will say it --- jeans that are skin tight give boys one message. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying your girls want to give this message or are even aware of this. But, skin tight around the but and behind and low rise to show but cracks well - that gives one message to the boys and that is "jump into my jeans!".

:eek:

Got to disagree with that. Since your post followed my comments encouraging you to let your daughter dress like she is 14 and not 40, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you didn't think much of my suggestions to have fun with clothes....

Besides, I didn't understand that the problem is jeans that are too tight. As you have repeatedly stated that your daughter is tall and skinny, I think we have possibly misunderstood the problem.

Terri (whose 14 year old daughter and her cute clothes apparently are just askin' for it)

This might seem totally off the wall but have you tried any local farm stores? Assuming you have something like TSC (Tractor Supply Store) or Family Farm and Home stores near you.

They have more modest cut jeans that COVER you---need to for farm work, horseback riding, etc. Prices aren't bad either....and no big holes, super flares, low cuts, etc. Just good old basic jeans.

Now that some of you ticked me off - I will say it --- jeans that are skin tight give boys one message. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying your girls want to give this message or are even aware of this. But, skin tight around the but and behind and low rise to show but cracks well - that gives one message to the boys and that is "jump into my jeans!". WHen dd tries that type of jeans on we both are appalled - no I am not dictating to her something she will regret later when she is 40. I am giving her the confidence to dress as SHE wants - and that is to dress modestly.

Barb

:001_huh:

The posters in this thread have tried to help and all you have done is comment on the inappropriateness of the suggestions.

It would have been better to say that DD doesn't find it flattering or comfortable to wear skinny jeans. I understand. I have a curvy DD and she doesn't like to wear them either. But I see a lot of girls wearing cute jeggings and aren't giving off that message because part of that is about body language and attitude.

You are allowed to dress your child however you want. But please stop making hurtful comments to others that are trying to offer suggestions to help you find something appropriate for your daughter. Maybe you need to ask some people you know IRL that have similar standards of dress to help you out?

My understanding (and my 17 year old dd dresses in a wide variety of what would be considered fashionable clothing) is that "skinny" jeans is about the cut of the leg. Instead of being wide, flared, bootcut, etc., they are cut either straight or slightly narrowed at the bottom (to tuck in to boots). They don't have to be skin tight or low-rise - it's mostly about the cut of the leg. If they are bought in a size that fits comfortably without being too tight, they will not look too tight.

Jeggings on the other hand I think are hideous.

Leggings under long sweaters and dresses look very nice on girls of a variety of ages and sizes. Again,they don't have to be bought a size too small so they fit so tight that the material is stretched enough to look translucent.

I think, instead of eliminating jeans based on the description, your dd probably needs to try on a variety of styles from a variety of stores to see what fits. I can try on the same size in 5 different pairs of low-rise, flared jeans and they will all fit different - some will not get over my butt or will be skin tight (so I might need the next size up in those), some will fit perfectly (I am short waisted so like low-rise) and some will be too big. The circumference of the flare will vary greatly and how low-rise they are will vary greatly. Jean shopping is probably the least fun thing to do.

I'm also curious about how long you want skirts to be? You mention that everything you see is too short and barely covers the butt - but this can be a matter of opinion. I see a LOT of skirts - at Sears, JCPenneys, Lands End, etc. that are longer. Maxi skirts that go to the calves, knee length pencil skirts, A-line skirts. Are you looking for something knee length or longer?

And as far as the person who said if we don't wear skinny jeans or jeggings. . . that she would be entirely out of style - WHO CARES! I want her to wear HER style, not style dictated by "the in crowd".

Finally found a pair of basic jeans yesterday - no, she doesn't feel out of place - quite the opposite, she feels comfortable with herself and her style choices.

Barb

I have not followed this whole conversation to its bitter end - and I'm sure it's bitter. I just wanted to say that my 14 yodd does feel similarly. She is tall and thin with a very cute body, but she does NOT like jeggins, leggings, skinny jeans, booty shorts or micro mini skirts. I have even pursuaded her to try some things that are in fashion; she is more conservative about her clothes than I am. I was the one who urged her to go ahead and wear a two-piece (tankini-style) swimsuit. :lol: I'm the one telling her leggins under a skirt with boots is very cute. (She hasn't gone for it yet.) ;)

I do identify with it being difficult to find clothing that is acceptable, even though I am not super conservative. That is why Lands End and LL Bean are my immediate go-to places, though we have had success elsewhere. Aeropostale was our score for shorts this past summer, since we could get bermuda-length.

Shesh - I can't even find tops that are what I want for myself, so yeah, I do think it's frustrating. There are a lot of clothing that I call a "no," though, fortunately, dd agrees with me about 98% of the time.

Well, here are some links of clothes you might be interested in.

Someone suggested American Eagle's boyfriend jeans, which have a relaxed (read: looser fit). They're having a sale right now, too - $10 off any pair of jeans. Here are their boyfriend jeans: http://www.ae.com/web/browse/category.jsp?catId=cat1930004

Here are their straight-leg jeans, as well: http://www.ae.com/web/browse/category.jsp?catId=cat20108

You might like this maxi skirt from Kohl's: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/juniors/bottoms/skirts/PRD~877907/Mudd+Chiffon+Paint+Splatter+Maxi+Skirt.jsp

These are just a few suggestions, to give you an idea of what's out there.

This might seem totally off the wall but have you tried any local farm stores? Assuming you have something like TSC (Tractor Supply Store) or Family Farm and Home stores near you.

They have more modest cut jeans that COVER you---need to for farm work, horseback riding, etc. Prices aren't bad either....and no big holes, super flares, low cuts, etc. Just good old basic jeans.

I was going to suggest this. TSC sells real, plain 'ol jeans--levis, wranglers, lees, etc. I buy them to ride in and for work around the farm, but they are higher quality than the "cute" jeans I buy from Old Navy or whathaveyou. They would make great every day jeans if that is your daughter's style.

As for skinny jeans, I like mine. And I haven't any guys try to jump down them, either. :tongue_smilie: Yeah, there are plenty that are super tight and super low, but you can find others that have a higher rise and a more relaxed fit around the hip and thigh (which is what I need, because I have hips and thighs). A medium rise (near the belly button) skinny jean that is not super tight can fit just like any other jean out there, just with a smaller leg opening. Not all skinny jeans are created equal, that's for sure. My son also wears skinny jeans--because, well, he's super skinny. Regular jeans fall off of him. Skinnies fit him like a good, slim-fit pant should.

However, I understand skinny is not your style. Give Tractor Supply a go. They do have nice jeans, and it sounds like they may be more your daughter's style if she just wants straight-up jeans.