Menu

Let's talk muffin recipes

Hi all,

I'm having a lot of fun with my new nutrimill and would love to know what your favorite muffin recipe is?

Tonight I used this basic recipe

2C fresh ground soft wheat flour

3tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 C sugar

1/3 C oil

3/4 C milk

1 egg

I mixed the above together then mixed in 1C of dried cranberries that I soaked in hot water for 15 minutes then drained well.

They are pretty good but next time I think I'll add a little cinnamon or some nutmeg. Maybe both.

So what's your favorite muffin recipe.

I usually make these every year. Very good. (though now that I'm off canola oil, I'll have to probably try it with applesauce! In fact, I think I've tried that before, with success!)

Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins

2 1/2 Cups flour

2 cups sugar

1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 Cup canned pumpkin

1/2 C oil

2 eggs, lightly beaten

2 cups peeled, chopped apples

For the topping:

Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, and cut in butter until crumbly

For the Muffins:

preheat oven to 350

grease 18 muffin cups or line with paper liners

mix flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside

beat pumpkin, oil, and eggs in a bowl with mixer until blended

Add flour mixture and mix until just moistened. Fold in apples and spoon batter into prepared pans and sprinkle with topping.

Bake for 34 to 40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

I'm too lazy to get up and get my cookbook, but lately I've been taking my quick-bread recipies from Betty Crocker (banana bread, zucchini bread, pumpkin bread) and making muffins out of those. I like them so much better than the regular muffin recipe.

That's a good idea, my muffins mentioned in the OP turned out ok, but seem dry compared to most quick breads. Maybe I'll try that.

I finally found a can of pumpkin yesterday and made these today:

Ingredients:

Scones:

2 cups unbleached flour

2 cups whole wheat flour

4 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ginger

1/2 teaspoon allspice

3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup brown sugar, packed

1/2 cup cold butter

2 eggs, beaten

1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Frosting:

1/4 cup butter, softened

3/4 cup powdered sugar

1/2 ounce cream cheese

1 tablespoon whipping cream

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

dash salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets.

2. In a large bowl. mix together flours, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and brown sugar.

3. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender. (I cut it up into pieces before adding it to make cutting it into the flour mixture easier.)

4. Mix beaten eggs and pumpkin in another bowl.

5. Add pumpkin mixture and chocolate chips to flour mixture. Mix until combined.

6. Turn mixture out onto a floured surface and flatten into a circle a bit larger than a large plate. Cut into 8-12 pie shaped pieces and transfer to baking sheets. It will be sticky and a bit difficult to work with but should be fine if you use a floured utensil to pick the pieces up with.

7. Bake 12-14 minutes until done. Check with a knife; it should come out clean.

8. Meanwhile, beat frosting ingredients until fluffy.

9. When scones are done, spread tops with frosting. The warmth will help the frosting spread. You don't need a lot for each one, just a heavy glaze. The frosting recipe makes enough for 12 scones.

These work just as well putting them in muffin tins. Grease and flour (or use Pam for baking) and the pop right out. Makes 24 muffins.

We love corn muffins. They are really good when you grind the corn up yourself so that the cornmeal is fresh!

1 c. corn meal

1 c. flour

1/3 c. oil

1/4 c. sugar (I use 1/3 c. when I make them for breakfast)

1 egg

4 t. bkg powder

3/4 tsp. salt

1 c. milk

Bake these @ 350 for 15-20 minutes. Insert toothpick in center of one muffin to check them when they are done.

Banana muffins:

1-1/2 c flour

1 t baking powder

1 t baking soda

1/2 t salt

1/2 t nutmeg

3/4 t cinnamon

3 bananas, mashed

1/2 c white sugar

1/4 c brown sugar

1 egg, lightly beaten

1/3 c melted butter or oil

1 t vanilla

topping:

1/3 c brown sugar

2 T flour

1/4 t cinnamon

1 T butter/shortening

Preheat oven to 375, lightly grease muffin cups or use liners.

In large bowl, mix flour, soda, powder, salt, spices. In another bowl, beat bananas, sugar, egg, butter/oil, vanilla. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon into muffin cups.

In small bowl, mix topping ingredients, cut in butter/shortening until it resembles cornmeal. Sprinkle over muffins.

Bake for 18-20 minutes.

NOTE: sometimes I'll add cut up strawberries or blueberries, etc into batter.

Ohhh. I just thought of another really good one...not for muffins but for biscuits!

SWEET POTATO BISCUITS

2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour

4 teaspoons baking powder

1-1/4 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

2 cups mashed sweet potatoes

3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar)

1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted (you could also use oil)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and nuts (if using). In another bowl, combine sweet potatoes, sugar, butter (or oil), and vanilla; add to flour mixture and mix well. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead slightly. Roll (or pat) dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2 inch biscuit cutter and place on a lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

My kids love these. I got bran cereal really cheap on sale.

Bran Banana Muffins

• 2 cups bran cereal
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mashed banana (I used three bananas)
  • 1/4 cup mini chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 12 muffin cups
  2. In a large bowl, stir together cereal and milk. Let stand 5 minutes, until cereal is soft.
  3. Stir oil and egg into milk mixture until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into milk mixture and fold in mashed banana and mini chips; divide into 12 muffins.
  4. Bake 20-25 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

because i am too lazy at the moment to go get my recipe book too:

http://www.theevolvinghomemaker.com/lemon-white-chocolate-chip-muffins/

http://www.theevolvinghomemaker.com/orange-chocolate-chip-muffins/

for the orange/choc chip i just replace the stuff in the lemon white chocolate chip muffins. i love muffins. i will be following this thread! lol these taste more like cake or something you would find at a coffee shop...you know...no bran! :D but they are tasty.

These are AMAZING!

Marion Cunningham’s Fresh Ginger Muffins

Adapted from The Breakfast Book

A word of warning: before beginning, take care to wash the ginger root well, checking its crevices and wrinkles for dirt.

One (~3-ounce) piece of unpeeled ginger root

¾ cup plus 3 Tbsp. sugar

2 Tbsp. grated lemon zest

8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

2 large eggs

1 cup buttermilk

2 cups all-purpose flour

½ tsp. salt

¾ tsp. baking soda

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a muffin tin.

Cut the unpeeled ginger root into large chunks. If you have a food processor, process the ginger until it is in tiny pieces; alternatively, mince by hand. Measure out ¼ cup – or a little more, if you like. It’s better to have too much than too little. Put the ginger and ¼ cup sugar in a small skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar has melted and the mixture is hot. Don’t walk away from the pan: this takes only a couple of minutes. Set aside to cool.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Add to the ginger mixture.

Put the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer (or, a mixing bowl, if you plan to use handheld beaters or mix by hand). Beat the butter for a second or two, then add the remaining ½ cup sugar, and beat until smooth. Add the eggs, and beat well. Add the buttermilk, and beat until blended. Add the flour, salt, and baking soda, and beat just until smooth. Add the ginger-lemon mixture, and beat to mix well. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Serve warm.

Yield: 12 muffins

1 3/4 cup flour

3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 egg

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup yogurt

4 ripe bananas

1 tsp vanilla

3/4 cup chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients, bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes.

I just made some tonight- they are delicious with butter on top. My kids love them, too.

My family's all-time favorite. They actually protest if I experiment and make other types of muffins. ;)

BERRY CREAM MUFFINS

This makes a LOT (about 24 standard-size muffins), so you could halve the recipe if you wish.

4 cups flour

2 cups sugar

3 tsps baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries or mixed berries

4 eggs (when making muffins and pancakes, I always separate the eggs. I beat the whites quite well and add them in LAST. This makes my muffins/pancakes lighter and fluffier).

2 cups sour cream (sometimes I do 1 cup sour cream and 1 cup plain yogurt. You could do just plain yogurt also - healthier).

1 cup vegetable oil

1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

Add berries. Toss gently.

Combine egg yolks, sour cream, oil, and vanilla. Mix well.

Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Add beaten egg whites.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 mins or until muffins test done.

MANGO MUFFINS

yields 12 large muffins

In small bowl mix together, just until blended:

1 egg

½ C sour cream OR yogurt

½ C milk

1 t vanilla

½ stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Gently stir in

1 ½ C diced ripe mangos (or peaches)

In a large bowl mix together:

2 C flour

½ C sugar

1 T baking powder

¼ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

¼ tsp cinnamon

Make well in center and add mango mixture. Fold together just until moistened and evenly blended. Mixture will be lumpy.

Bake at 400º for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out with a few crumbs. Cool in tin for 5 minutes before removing muffins.

PEACH MUFFINS

1 3/4 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup pecans or walnuts (optional)

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1 cup fresh, canned, or frozen peaches

2 eggs

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup buttermilk

1 tsp vanilla

In large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.

In another bowl, mash peaches with fork or in blender.

Stir in remaining ingredients.

Add to flour mixtures and stir just until moistened.

Spoon into muffin cups

Bake 15-20 minutes or until tops are golden.

SINFUL CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS :D

1 egg

1 stick softened butter – melted and cooled

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup vanilla yogurt

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 cup chocolate chips (6 ounces)

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Beat together eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla yogurt.

Stir flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.

Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

These are some that I haven't yet tried.

PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

1/2 c butter or margarine, softened

1 c sugar

2 eggs

1 c canned pumpkin (without spice)

2 c all purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp ginger

1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Add eggs, stir until smooth. Stir in pumpkin. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Stir to m ix. Pour into mixing bowl; stir until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin cups until three-fourths full. Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

VANILLA RICOTTA MUFFINS

1 1/2 cups unbleached flour

1/2 cup dry milk powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/4 tsp cinnamon

A pinch (or a few grates) of nutmeg

2 Tblsp (packed) light brown sugar

1 cup ricotta cheese

1/2 cup milk

2 large eggs

1 Tblsp Vanilla extract

4 Tblsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Lightly spray 8 standard muffin cups with non-stick spray.

Combine the flour, powdered milk, salt, baking powder, granulated sugar, and spices in a medium-sized bowl. Crumble in the brown sugar, rubbing it with your fingers to break up any clumps. Stir until thoroughly blended.

Place the ricotta in a second medium-sized bowl, and beat in the milk. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well with a medium-sized whisk after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.

Pour the ricotta mizture, along with the melted butter into the dry ingredients. Using a spoon or rubber spatula, stir from the bottom of the bowl until the dry ingredients are all moistened. Don't overmix; a few lumps are okay.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. For smaller muffins, fill the cups about four-fifths full. For larger muffins, fill them up to the top. If you have extra batter, spray one or two additional muffin cups with non-stick spray and fill with the remaining batter.

Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven, then remove the muffins from the pan and place them on a rack to cool. Wait at least 30 minutes before serving.

Hi all,

I'm having a lot of fun with my new nutrimill and would love to know what your favorite muffin recipe is?

Tonight I used this basic recipe

2C fresh ground soft wheat flour

3tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 C sugar

1/3 C oil

3/4 C milk

1 egg

I mixed the above together then mixed in 1C of dried cranberries that I soaked in hot water for 15 minutes then drained well.

They are pretty good but next time I think I'll add a little cinnamon or some nutmeg. Maybe both.

So what's your favorite muffin recipe.

I have a similar recipe w/ cranberries, but it has some OJ in it. The orange/cranberry combo is lovely.

Guest mom2aprincess

These were the best muffins I have ever eaten!! My hubby is military and when we were at Hill AFB (in UT) this is the recipe we took away. Only one cafe' served these so I think it was just a "Rainbow Gardens" specialty!! They served them warm with honey butter! YUM!!

Mormon Muffin Recipe

Ingredients

2 cups boiling water

5 teaspoons baking soda

1 cup shortening

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 quart buttermilk

5 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

4 cups All Bran cereal

2 40% bran flakes

1 cup walnuts

Directions:

Add soda to boiling water and set aside. Whip shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs slowly. Mix well. Add the buttermilk, flour, salt and mix again. Add the soda water very slowly. Gently fold the cereals and the walnuts into the mix.

Spoon 1/8 cup into greased muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.

Muffin mix must sit in the refrigerator over night before baking. Muffin mix will last one week, covered and refrigerated. Yields 3 dozen muffins.

My family's all-time favorite. They actually protest if I experiment and make other types of muffins. ;)

BERRY CREAM MUFFINS

This makes a LOT (about 24 standard-size muffins), so you could halve the recipe if you wish.

4 cups flour

2 cups sugar

3 tsps baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries or mixed berries

4 eggs (when making muffins and pancakes, I always separate the eggs. I beat the whites quite well and add them in LAST. This makes my muffins/pancakes lighter and fluffier).

2 cups sour cream (sometimes I do 1 cup sour cream and 1 cup plain yogurt. You could do just plain yogurt also - healthier).

1 cup vegetable oil

1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

Add berries. Toss gently.

Combine egg yolks, sour cream, oil, and vanilla. Mix well.

Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Add beaten egg whites.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 mins or until muffins test done.

I just printed this recipe out for my daughter to bake (I just made the change in my typed version to use applesauce instead of oil). I left her and my son completely alone in the kitchen while they made these and I just finished eating two of them. They are fabulous!!

We only had frozen blueberries, so that's what she used. She also used berry applesauce. This is a definite keeper recipe! And she is proud as a peacock having made something so fabulous :)

I just printed this recipe out for my daughter to bake (I just made the change in my typed version to use applesauce instead of oil). I left her and my son completely alone in the kitchen while they made these and I just finished eating two of them. They are fabulous!!

We only had frozen blueberries, so that's what she used. She also used berry applesauce. This is a definite keeper recipe! And she is proud as a peacock having made something so fabulous :)

Tammy, can you substitute applesauce for all of the oil, or just a fraction of it?

Good thing my guys like muffins, because I think I've just entered a muffin-baking phase (thanks to you all!).

Tammy, can you substitute applesauce for all of the oil, or just a fraction of it?

Good thing my guys like muffins, because I think I've just entered a muffin-baking phase (thanks to you all!).

She substituted ALL of the oil - she did a half batch, and she used 1/2 cup applesauce for the oil. They were probably the best, most moist blueberry muffins I've ever had. Oh, and she used all sour cream, rather than adding in some yogurt.

So glad it turned out well. I'm taking notes about the applesauce, especially the berry applesauce.

Happy for your daughter. :)

• 1 month later...
These are some that I haven't yet tried.

PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

1/2 c butter or margarine, softened

1 c sugar

2 eggs

1 c canned pumpkin (without spice)

2 c all purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp ginger

1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Add eggs, stir until smooth. Stir in pumpkin. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Stir to m ix. Pour into mixing bowl; stir until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin cups until three-fourths full. Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

I have to thank you for this. I've made it many times already!

I make these which came from a recipe for Pumpkin Maple Bread (from a local farmer).

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

1/4 cup maple syrup or honey (I like to use real maple syrup)

1 cup pumpkin

1 3/4 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ginger

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup chopped walnuts and/or 1/2 cup raisins

and/or 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix wet ingredients with sugar in bowl.

Combine flour with remaining ingredients and add slowly to the first mixture until blended.

Spoon into greased muffin tins.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

This is the one we use most often. From the Williams-Sonoma Kids Cookbook:

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1/2 cup butter, melted

2 cups flour

1/2 cup plus 2 tsp. sugar

1 Tbs. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup milk

1 egg

3/4 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 375. Put paper liners in 12 muffin cups.

Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. In small mixing bowl, combine milk, egg, and vanilla.

Add the milk mixture, melted butter, and blueberries to the flour mixture. Stir gently until ingredients are just blended.

Spoon mixture into muffin cups. Sprinkle 2 tsp. sugar evenly over the tops.

Bake 18-20 minutes, until muffins are golden. Let cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.

I also like these chocolate zucchini cupcakes:

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/cupcakes/choco-zucchini-cupcakes/

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Vegan Blueberry Muffin (though, it could easily be made non-Vegan :001_smile:)

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp salt (I eye it)

3/4 cup non-dairy milk

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 cup frozen blueberries

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400*F. Place baking cups in a muffin pan.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in non-dairy milk and oil.

3. Fold in blueberries. Pour into baking cups and bake for 25 to 30 minutes (though I usually find 20-25 is enough)

Makes: about 8 muffins.

These are really good. After a day or so of sitting around, they get that sticky glaze to them that bakery muffins get. I just love them!

I made these last week: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/morning-glory-muffins-recipe

I've been getting very satisfactory results from the KAF website. I've been using whole wheat flour in our muffins and my goal is for them to be relatively healthy (rather than more like a cupcake).

I've also made these: http://www.moderateoven.com/?p=596 the first time I made them, I doubled the batch and doubled the streusel and ended up with loads more than I would need. That turned out to be good luck because it left me with a freezer stash of streusel!

Our favorite muffin:

Oatmeal Raisin Muffins:

1 1/2 cup water

1 1/2 cup Old fashioned rolled oats

1/4 lb butter

2 eggs, well beaten

1/2 cup honey

1 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1 1/4 tsp baking

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325. Boil water. Turn off heat and add oats. Stir in and melt butter and let cool. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Bake in greased muffin tin for 20 minutes.

Sometimes, I add in come chocolate chips or substitute the raisins with chocolate chips. My dh likes them if I add some chopped walnuts with choc. chips. Since he is the only one who likes nuts in his muffins that treat rarely happens.