Menu

Tell me -- does it matter

to you what format your child uses to receive his/her education? As in, are you dedicated to homeschooling, would you use a charter or virtual school? If your kid needed something from a local parochial school, would that fly with you? Why or why not?

I finally got around to reading the middle section of last fall's Mensa Research Journal (yes I'm slow -- I have a backlog of reading to do) as I was on the plane home last night (after delivering the kids). It strikes me as significant that one of the writers discussed homeschooling as: "...the practice in which the education of children is clearly parent-controlled or parent-directed (and sometimes student-directed) during the conventional-school hours during the conventional-school days of the week."

I guess I'm thinking about certain conversations which I've overheard in which those who aren't homeschooling 100% on their own, without the benefit of any organized school/teacher's assistance, are viewed somehow as "impure," if you will.

Thoughts, please? I'm working this over in my head and would love to know what all you brilliant people think.

Hi,

Its something to ponder. I myself tried to do it alone. But just could not keep up with true traditionalist homeschooling. Just not that organized. So I went off path and went virtual about four yrs. ago. I am still independent. I dont go through any public schools. But we like it, everything is organized. They take care of books and they set schedule.

Now highschool was and is a bumpy road it basically is like college online. But the one is keeping up and fights to the finish but is getting straight A's. She also has to answer to teachers, so I basically just help her when she has questions.

I guess my answer is to each his own. And god bless everyone of us that can and do homeschool.

I dont know if that answered your query, but good luck.

jy:thumbup:

I'm all about home education occurring any time of the day, week, year and not just from 8 to 3. I have no problem with using a dvd, BJU HomeSat, the Potters School, etc., if it gives my children needed skills that I cannot provide. I do feel strongly about children being in the home and for education to be parent administrated. In my equipping of my children, I can select resources to feed them with and it may not always be wise for me to be the instructor.

I guess I'm thinking about certain conversations which I've overheard in which those who aren't homeschooling 100% on their own, without the benefit of any organized school/teacher's assistance, are viewed somehow as "impure," if you will.

Thoughts, please? I'm working this over in my head and would love to know what all you brilliant people think.

I think that these views are referring to a legal definition, but many let their views come out in ways that I think are rather silly. Like a meal that has basic lovely simple, whole-food ingredients but is assembled at a restaurant and then consumed at home somehow cannot nourish the body or the soul as much as if mom (not dad, mind you) had spent the day making the sauces from ingredients picked in the garden out back fertilized by worm castings from the basement and rolling out the pasta dough by hand and drying it in the sun by the back window.

Nourish the mind however it seems best to you. Do it wherever you like. If the "real" homeschooler or the "real" parent police show up at your door, kick them in the shin then slam the door in their face when they been down to rub the owie. Or send them to me. I'll discuss with them the relative merits and lack therof of boarding school, and whether or not that makes a whole family dynamic "impure." And I'll introduce them to my nice kids who are not ill-adjusted misfits or delinquent in any conceivable way (yet somehow are not homeschooled at present). It'll confuse them long enough that they won't bother you anymore.

:auto:

Right now, we have yet to find a school (private, parochial, or public), that could meet the needs of any one of our children.

If we *did* come across the perfect school, I would consider it. However, at this point I really do like our flexible schedule. The fact I don't have to get everyone up and ready to drive, or to the bus stop -- and numerous other things.

After the flexibility my children have had, I doubt any of them would WANT to be in school at this point either...

We school 6 days a week. Mostly in the a.m., but evenings aren't out of the question.

I'm all about home education occurring any time of the day, week, year and not just from 8 to 3. I have no problem with using a dvd, BJU HomeSat, the Potters School, etc., if it gives my children needed skills that I cannot provide. I do feel strongly about children being in the home and for education to be parent administrated. In my equipping of my children, I can select resources to feed them with and it may not always be wise for me to be the instructor.

:iagree:

In the past, I've been very judgmental (just within myself - never out loud) of people who didn't homeschool 100% of the time. It was as if they "sold out" somehow.

But, I grew and learned and you know what? Everyone has to do what is best for their family. I'm not walking in their shoes, so who am I to judge the choices they make - even if it's just to myself. Everyone's family dynamics are so different and the needs of each family are very different as well.

So now my attitude is more like "if that's what they need, then God bless them!" :)

We're doing it on our own for now but are not inextricably tied to it. We are opened to other options if they fit our kids, family priorities and philosophies. Right now we are not actively looking for those options but if we need to, we will... until then, we're just motoring along. :auto:

I know the attitude you mean. You should have heard all the stuff I got in Oct/Nov when I put my son in the state's (k12) virtual academy. And at first, I bought all the junk about how it was more public school than homeschooling. After 7 months, I say bologna! It may well be more "school at home" than many other options (certainly the unschooling we did for years), however, it is DEFINITELY more like homeschooling than public school. And it works for this child. I only wish it had been available AND that I had used it earlier (btw, I don't think I would have used it earlier. The right crises helped this year come about).

A LOT of my attitudes regarding homeschooling have changed CONSIDERABLY over the past few years. I'm glad I was able to change this one too.

Basically, I've quit judging MOST of what people do outside of all out pushing or neglect (and really that isn't my business either; I just can't help caring for kids).

I think it's HEALTHY to do at least SOME classes other ways (correspondence, online, co-op, private school, public school, local community college or university, etc), especially in the high school years. I really think our job is to find the combinations that work for our family and each of our children. It isn't necessarily to teach 3 or 7 hours per day for 12 years.

Hi Pamela,:iagree:

I was scared to post anything about what I was using. I though maybe virtual was bad. But I have been using k12 for about six yrs. I am starting older on international academy in fall. I wonder if anyone has used that its expensive. I do K12 independent, I dont go through public, because not so organized to come up with all paperwork they need.

But I really like it, its kind of a no brainer. Which makes it easy for me.

Again, to each their own.

Jeannette

We have not used any outside resources in our homeschool as of yet, but it isn't because I have some idealistic aversion to virtual programs or charter schools. We just haven't felt the need. If that ever changes, I'm glad to know those options are there for us. :)

What matters to me is making the best choice, within our available options and means, for that child at that moment.

Last year that included registering with a homeschool academy to help us with record-keeping. The year before that it included a half-day, parent-led co-op with four other families. Next year it may include two classes at a small cottage school. At some point it will almost certainly include online classes and possibly community college courses as well. Full-time school enrollment is not out of the question either, if the right opportunity presented itself.

You get the idea. I homeschool because it's the best choice for my child right now, not out of an unshakable ideological commitment to homeschooling per se.

Isn't it truly about having choices? I want to have the freedom to make choices that fit each of my kids, which by the way are all different! I know, that's a big shocker. If I tried to do for my dd what I've done for ds, it would be a disaster! I simply don't want the state telling me what's "best" for the kids God gave to us!

Laura

starting older on international academy in fall. I wonder if anyone has used that its expensive. I do K12 independent

WOW...that IS expensive! My son, obviously, gets it for FREE, including computer, all art supplies, science materials, etc. For us, the draw was him being accountable to someone else and having a set curriculum he could do mostly independently when things were going so poorly (we've had 3 hospitalizations this year on top of some other rough stuff).

I'm actually surprised it worked out so well though. There were lots of concerns. But he has excelled and I couldn't be happier :)

Hi Pamela,:iagree:

I was scared to post anything about what I was using. I though maybe virtual was bad. But I have been using k12 for about six yrs. I am starting older on international academy in fall. I wonder if anyone has used that its expensive. I do K12 independent, I dont go through public, because not so organized to come up with all paperwork they need.

But I really like it, its kind of a no brainer. Which makes it easy for me.

Again, to each their own.

Jeannette

Hello, my name is Barbara, and I am a K12 user. We've been using virtual charters (first PAVCS, then Agora, now AZVA) on and off for the past 6 years. I usually rotate the children so I don't have more than two elementary school kids in at a time, mainly because of the paperwork you mentioned. Plus it's nice for each child to have a taste of the structure and heavier workload of the VC followed by a year or so of flexibility and freedom in private homeschooling. I'm the sort that cannot bear to do things the same way two years in a row. For next year, I'm toying with the idea of this really amazing classical school that is, wonder of wonders, a public charter. If not that, my 14yo will begin community college classes. So no, no one would accuse me of being a homeschooling purist. But after 14 years, I'm still sane.

Barb

Wow, you are doing great, with two, I think I have a handful. But I admit I would love to adopt. I guess its the hormones talking. Taking the breaks in between, is a great idea. I am not that organized. So, so far k12 works. Would like better tech support. But kids love it.

God bless you all,

Jeannette

For me there is only two options. The first is homeschooling in such a way that I am in total control of every. last. detail. of these poor children's lives!

The other, after we win the lottery, is to send them to our local classical Christian school. I love that school. I frighten parents from that school because I corner them and make them tell me everything their children do in school so I can come home and google it. The school should just give me scholarships for my kids so I won't be so aggressive anymore.

I am not opposed to other options, but I AM a control freak with all sorts of personal issues, so it is probably best that I go it alone!!

My purpose during this phase of my life is to give my children the best education I possibly can. That doesn't always mean teaching them myself. My older son is now in need of a more advanced Latin teacher, advanced algebra teacher and a high school biology teacher. In keeping with my job description, I find the best teachers I can, in each of those subjects, every year.

My 'homeschooling' method is certainly impure to many, but my son's education is better for it so I don't particularly care how anyone outside my home labels our method.

I would not be surprised if, by his senior year in high school, Jeffrey is taking most of his classes at the local community college. Again, that would be contrary to 'pure' homeschooling, but what folks choose to call what we do has nothing to do with our ultimate goal.

I agree that everyone needs to find what works best for their child and family. We are using a charter, but it is a hands off one. They give us $1,800 per child each year to spend on materials, classes, etc. and keep my records, but I get to select the curriculum and do everything my way. (as long as no religious materials are purchased with their money or turned in they don't care what I do) I do most subjects at home, but have recently started doing science projects and art with a group.

Isn't it truly about having choices? I want to have the freedom to make choices that fit each of my kids, which by the way are all different!
Exactly. We haven't done any co-ops or Saturday Academy classes yet, but I can see those in the future. Likewise there's a homeschool support center that may start holding classes near enough for us to consider. There will be tutors for languages, because there's no way I could keep up with my oldest in every language she wants to study. In addition, she reads faster and retains more than I do -- I'm just thankful some days that I have a 35 year head start :)

I've already accepted the role of facilitator/guidance counselor rather than teacher, and I relish it because it frees me from the anxiety of having to keep ahead in everything.

I've already accepted the role of facilitator/guidance counselor rather than teacher, and I relish it because it frees me from the anxiety of having to keep ahead in everything.

This is what I hope for when, after six years of independently homeschooling, we start K12 this fall. I'm glad some other folks have had some success in virtual academies, and it's free to us.

We've never objected to public school, just realized early on it wasn't a good fit for our eldest. We liked homeschooling so much we continued with the other two. We are very, very thankful to have so many great educational choices right now, and grateful for the earlier homeschoolers who broke the paths.

As many others have said, it's all about making the best educational choice for your own children -- each child, each year. I don't view public school as the enemy; I see individuals who think they are better qualified than I to make educational choices for my family as the dangerous ones.

What matters to me is making the best choice, within our available options and means, for that child at that moment.

:iagree: We take it year by year. This year that meant "pure" homeschooling. The previous year, there was a charter school available that supplied us with curriculum with a bare minimum of oversight. I loved it, but the state shut it down. :cursing: A friend moved to a state where she homeschools the "core" subjects with her favorite curriculum provided free by the state, and sends the kids to "school" one day a week for art, music, and PE. I would jump at a chance like that!!!!!

For me, homeschooling has always been about giving my dd the best education available. But what's available is subject to change! :D

I don't have issues with what other people do, though I feel sorry for some moms I personally know who use Charter or the city's homeschool/ps linked classes for more than enrichment. They've come to me with their heads in their hands wondering about everything under the sun. Because they've had so much hand-holding, they seem to feel they can't do it all themselves and have no idea of the wide range of curriculum choices. Two such conversations this week had me feeling really sad for them because they felt so frustrated.

For us, ps is not an option in any way shape or form. If we had to, we might use outside resources but at present, we only use the homelink program so we can go to art school for $22 a month rather than if we did it on our own at $70 a month. We don't have to report to anyone what we do and that's the way we like it. I have so many homeschooling friends that I glean from. With their mentoring, I feel confident that we will do just fine w/o a whole bunch of outside helps. We will probably have our kids dual-enroll with the local cc if the program still exists at that time so they can graduate high school with a diploma and an AA. Beyond that, we'll use what we need when the needs arise.

This is the only option for us at this time. My kids spent 2 years in ps and we are still working at overcoming the negatives as a result of that. My oldest says he wants to do college from home too. DD would like to return to a school one day, and perhaps for high school I will entertain the thought of a privat school but until that time they will only be hs'ed and i will do what ever I have to, to continue to do so. The younger two will never go to public school, I have even let family know if I was to die and they raised the kids which schools would be acceptable to enroll them in, (along with enough life insurance to cover it) with strict instructions to never use the ps system.

I have even let family know if I was to die and they raised the kids which schools would be acceptable to enroll them in, (along with enough life insurance to cover it) with strict instructions to never use the ps system.

:lol:

A couple of years ago I got sick. I had a really big tumor. During the time that they were trying to determine if it was cancer and even on the way to the hospital for surgery, and even IN PRE-OP, I was making my husband quote back to me my final wishes for our children's education in case I died.

These plans did not include any of our local public schools.

Oh yeah, I am that hardcore!!!

I had a talk with my mom about how much she wanted me to plan out ahead so she could pick up running with the kids should anything happen with dh and me. I just really don't want them in school which I don't see as being best for either of them (for different reasons).

Thankfully, the virtual academy is available where she lives (only available in 2 metroplexes so this is good). That has been great for ds. And dd can easily do 2-5 courses at their local college or univ there and she knows herself what her goals are to finish in the next two years so that is that. Insurance will cover the costs of making it all work out.