Menu

Anyone seen a production of Wicked?

Wicked is coming to our city and tickets will be going on sale soon. They are EXPENSIVE.....but I've never been to any type of stage production show (well, unless you could Sesame Street Live LOL). DH saw it in New York on a business trip and said it was awesome. I've heard nothing but good reviews about the show. I'm wondering if DH and I should go see it.

Only problem is that I will have a 3 month old at the time. I don't leave my babies so we'd only be able to go if she didn't require a ticket. My parents would watch my older two.

Edited by ChristusG

Oh, and my oldest daughter saw Wicked years ago when she was 15 or so. She absolutely loved it. Go for it :D

Only problem is that I will have a 3 month old at the time. I don't leave my babies so we'd only be able to go if she didn't require a ticket. My parents would watch my older two.

I just saw the above. That will likely be a problem. Most theaters require a ticket for babies. When my youngest was a few weeks old, I hired my oldest daughter to walk her around the parking lot and then call me (phone set on vibrate) if there was a problem. I only had to go out once to nurse and I only missed 20 minutes. Do you have anyone you trust to do that?

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

It's an amazing production, but I don't think it is fair to those around you to bring a three-month-old baby. As you pointed out, the tickets are expensive. The show is loud at times, so I think it would be hard to sleep through. (Although my mom was so exhausted from jet lag and sightseeing that she did nod off, now that I think about it.)

I'm not the type to let my baby fuss and disturb anyone's show. If she fussed, we'd try nursing or a pacifier and if that didn't work after only a moment, I'd quickly exit into the corridors.

Yes, but then your ticket would be wasted. How heartbreaking. I've missed so many shows for this reason and I've finally come to the realization that it isn't worth it to chance it. Rarely does Baby be still for the entire production. And even if Baby does, you are tense and waiting for the moment he/she rouses. So distracting.

I'm going to see the matinee tomorrow in Richmond! Choosing the matinee allowed us to get really fantastic seats for less money. Would that be an option for you?

Also, I agree that it would be better to not take the baby - not fair to the other patrons near you, and if you're going to end up spending a lot of time in the lobby, why bother to go in the first place? I think it's best to save your resources for when you can really enjoy it without the worries.

I'm not the type to let my baby fuss and disturb anyone's show. If she fussed, we'd try nursing or a pacifier and if that didn't work after only a moment, I'd quickly exit into the corridors.

I'm uber baby friendly. But no, either don't go or leave baby for a few hours.

When I saw it on stage, not only would I not be happy over the fussing I would not be happy having people getting up and walking on front of me with baby. Depending on the theater, it could take several minutes of excuse mes and leg shuffling aside to get to the aisle, interrupting the show for 20-30 people on the way. And that's if the baby is fussying. What if baby needs a diaper? You would have to leave for that too.

And our performing arts center has it clearly posted that if you leave during the show, you will not be let back in until intermission or the end of the show, which ever comes first. They have a closed circuit tv that you may watch the rest of the performance from in the lobby if you arrive after the doors close or exit after the doors closed. I know this is fairly common.

Based on all that, I suggest either staying home or leaving baby for a few hours.

When I saw it on stage, not only would I not be happy over the fussing I would not be happy having people getting up and walking on front of me with baby. Depending on the theater, it could take several minutes of excuse mes and leg shuffling aside to get to the aisle, interrupting the show for 20-30 people on the way. And that's if the baby is fussying. What if baby needs a diaper? You would have to leave for that too.

:iagree:

Wicked is fantastic. I have been trying to figure out how we could afford to see it again.

I'm not suggesting you would sit there and let her make noise and not do anything about it, but even as you describe it, she would fuss, you'd try nursing, she would fuss again and you'd take her out. Even assuming you sit on the aisle, it would take a bit to get to a door and then opening the door would let light in, etc. I wouldn't think it polite to say you'd take your cell phone, but you'd only let it ring once and would leave as soon as it rang. A baby is no different. Worse, in fact, because you can't ensure that the baby will only "ring" once.

I would not take the baby. I understand your reluctance to leave the baby - I was the same way. It will come your way again in a year or two and then you can go easily.

I would just hate for you to pay that kind of money and have to step out to miss the important parts.

I actually did leave my 4 month old to go and see Wicked for DH and my 10th wedding anniversary. I don't normally leave my littles when they are that small, but you can not take an infant to a broadway type show, it just isn't fair to the others attending. It is an amazing show, it is totally worth going and seeing, but the baby there even if they are quiet will distract you and others around you, plus you would need to buy them their own ticket, if the theater even allowed them, most theaters don't allow children under 4 or 5 to attend shows.

If you won't leave your baby, which I completely understand, wait a year or two till it returns and see it then.

And our performing arts center has it clearly posted that if you leave during the show, you will not be let back in until intermission or the end of the show, which ever comes first. They have a closed circuit tv that you may watch the rest of the performance from in the lobby if you arrive after the doors close or exit after the doors closed. I know this is fairly common.

Based on all that, I suggest either staying home or leaving baby for a few hours.

Yes, this is a major performance, you can't just slip out unnoticed. :(

Wait, it will come again.

Wicked is wonderful, one of my favorite contemporary musicals. I've seen two touring productions and went on the backstage tour at the home theatre in NYC.

Please don't take a baby.

I love mine, and I took them lots of places when they were little. But a show like this is different.

Other people will also have paid those very expensive ticket prices. For many people, it will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. And the very last thing anyone wants or would welcome in that situation is a baby.

We used to get dirty looks when we took our kids to those kinds of events when they were eight and nine.

Honestly, I'm not sure the theatre would even allow an infant on a lap.

It's not that kind of environment. It's not "done" to get up and leave in the middle of an act during a live performance.

This isn't a movie. It's real people.

Truly, I'm a baby-loving mom, but I just cannot speak strongly enough about this issue. Live theatre is special. Please don't take a chance on ruining it for someone else.

I actually did leave my 4 month old to go and see Wicked for DH and my 10th wedding anniversary. I don't normally leave my littles when they are that small, but you can not take an infant to a broadway type show, it just isn't fair to the others attending. It is an amazing show, it is totally worth going and seeing, but the baby there even if they are quiet will distract you and others around you, plus you would need to buy them their own ticket, if the theater even allowed them, most theaters don't allow children under 4 or 5 to attend shows.

If you won't leave your baby, which I completely understand, wait a year or two till it returns and see it then.

I have seen Wicked twice. If you don't go this time, DO see it next time it comes. It has been here three times in the last few years.