Menu

Dessert for 20 women?

I'm going on my church's women's retreat this weekend. We're a small church and rent 2 houses on the beach and do our own food as a group. I've been assigned dessert for Saturday night. There will be about 20 of us. Ages pushing 70 to ~27/28. Average is probably around 45-50. (Our church has many between me and 70 but not so many younger than I am.) What would you take?

I've thought about cupcakes, cake (but need 2?), ice cream sundaes. I know one year in the past someone made blueberry cobbler in the crock-pot and then bought ice cream down there.

If it needs to bake, I'd prefer it be something I can make at home and then take with me.

EDT: I don't think I need to worry about special diets and such. In the past the ladies on diets brought their own stuff.

You could make a couple varieties of cookies.

Death by Chocolate.....yummy stuff:

Bake any chocolate cake mix that you like.

When it cools crumble into tiny pieces.

Layer with instant chocolate pudding, cool whip, and heath bar pieces.

From bottom to top:

cake

pudding

cool whip

heath crumbs

cake

pudding

cool whip

heath crumbs

It is super easy. You can bake the cake at home, but put it together on Saturday.

Angel Food Delight

1 angel food cake, pull into little pieces

2 flavors of jello, made separately (lemon and lime are really yummy), run a fork through both

cool whip

Layer cake, jello (some of each flavor), and cool whip. Repeat. You should have 3-5 layers.

The older crowd tend to love pies and banana bread, any kind of crumble and jell-o. I know many older folks who can't eat ice cream or anything with nuts or very chewy, sticky foods due to weak or very sensitive teeth. Perhaps cookies or cupcakes would be best? I always like to take individual servings that one can eat with their hands. It's just easier than worrying about plates and cutlery. A stack of napkins and your yummy desserts and you'll be set. :001_smile: Sounds like you'll have a great time!

I made a crowd pleaser recently. It was a lemon cake, made according to the box of yellow cake mix but with a pkg of pudding added. Then you take a can of frozen lemonade concentrate (thawed) and mix with powdered sugar to make a glaze. Poke holes in the cake and drizzle this glaze on. It was SUPER moist, lemony and delicious. I topped with a squirt of whipped cream. The thing I liked about it was that it was made a day or two before, so the glaze really got to sit and moisten the cake, and I baked it and brought in in two foil pans so I didn't have to slice and carry it separately and then could throw away the pans when done. Easy peasy. It also didn't need to stay refrigerated since I was concerned I might not have fridge space.

You could do something similar with a spice cake made according to pkg directions, but add a can of pumpkin. Then glaze with and orange juice/powdered glaze and add a squirt of whipped cream to the top. More fall-ish. YUM!

Brownies almost seem to be a church-event staple and frankly, I'm tired of them! (even though I love brownies!)

I'd go with cheesecake, plain, with a variety of toppings (strawberry sauce, blueberry sauce, some sort of chocolate sauce) and then maybe offer something like angel food cake with fresh fruit as an alternative for those who can't do the dairy in cheesecake.

I would get some cheesecakes and serve those. After you plate the cheesecake, spoon some cherry or strawberry or raspberry on top. It looks very pretty, and most women don't get cheesecake very often, which makes it a special dessert.

When I do it I buy the cheesecake at Costco because it is a good price and it tastes great. It looks fancy, looks classy, but is very easy.

I made this over the weekend and it was delicious! I had to make a second batch of the cider caramel sauce today, because I had more cake than sauce. The caramel sauce is awesome!! I also served it with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

:svengo:

is that picture a piece of your actual cake?:001_tt1::drool5::001_tt1::drool5:

2 things I have recently if you are thinking chocolate.

I made brownies in a waffle iron and then we served it with ice cream and carmel topping. Nummy!

Crock Pot girls on Facebook has a chocolate gooey thing that is delicious. It's cake mix, pudding and chocolate chips. Served with whipped cream or ice cream ..it's delicious.